PDA

View Full Version : Hate on Connor (there might already be hundreds of these but whatevs)

TheWaytoSayHi
01-09-2015, 02:04 AM
This might be an extremely overdone topic, but I'm new to these forums and I'm also too lazy to go and look for a thread like this one. Well, to get to the point, why is there so much hate for Connor? Not hate, but maybe dislike? I know he might be bland sometimes, but he can't help it. It's probably just his way of coping with the problems he has. Nearly the entire game he thought his father caused his mother's death. And on the subject of his mother's death, I'd probably be pretty upset too if I saw my mother crushed under a beam while I was 5 years old and couldn't do anything about it. He was also very edgy towards the whites because of his first encounter with other whites, mainly Charles Lee, Hickey, etc. I saw his character as a refreshing change from the charismatic Ezio Auditore, and also his story to be tragic. I really wish we got closure on his story. Feel free to voice your own opinions and if you dislike him, maybe state your reasons. Rant over.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 02:08 AM
You're new to these forums.

Most people here do not hate Connor.

Most are indifferent and plenty love him.

His reception is polarized for the general public.

Why do half the general public seem to hate him? Well people dislike characters for a multitude of reasons.

Biggest complaint is he's not very expressive so comes off as boring. Whether that's a fault depends on the person.

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 02:10 AM
Beats me.

Don't care.

Welcome to the Forums. ^__^

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 02:38 AM
Yeah, there's been a lot of these. That said, he's not all that unpopular, as some might have you believe. He won a user voted award where he beat Master Chief, Max Payne and Hitman.

The reasons? Beyond these forums, you wont find anything else apart from "He's boring". That's because he's not as charismatic as Ezio nor jokes a lot. It's also because he "whines" a lot. (Keep in mind that Ezio "whined" more about his family than Connor ever did about his people, I guess thinking about the will being of one's culture and people is considered "whiney" these days)
Connor also doesnt grant the power fantasy that a lot of the gaming fanbase want. When you play a game, you become the avatar. You're not watching them accomplish things, you're DOING these things. Ezio is a smooth talking, popular, charismatic playboy, while Connor is an altruistic, stoic introvert. Ask anyone, they'll tell you they'd rather be Ezio.
I'v also seen complaints like "He only cared about his people" and "He's dumb" ..etc, I generally ignore those as obviously the people who say these things never payed attention to the story.

Me? Favorite Assassin tied with Altair. I wrote a post sometime ago when AC III was newly released about Connor, which people seemed to like a lot.

Connor was a child. a normal child. He lived his life as he should. Playing, learning and growing. You feel the Innocence, which is something that was absent from Ezio, because you`re quickly thrown in with the line "Your sister seemed quite satisfied with the handling I gave her earlier". I never expected another Ezio and I`m glad that I was not disappointed. Connor`s Innocence is quickly stolen by the ensuing events. He grows into a humble, powerful young man who seemingly has no weaknesses but his naivete. In a way, Connor is still a child. His reactions to some of the actions of others make any one laugh, but he simply finds them disgusting. His solutions to very complicated matters is pure. "i`ll tell them I`m Innocent".

His gestures when talking to people is what drew me to like him too. Standing and holding his 2 hands together when talking to Homesteaders politely, labeling them as his friends and not his townsfolk, BUT THEN he just barges into a certain character`s house, shoving that certain character`s arm away, not once, but thrice. It was hilarious. The contrast was brilliant. He is somewhat like his father, in the way that those he deemed friends would get the best out of him, but those he deemed unimportant (In Haytham's case) or viewed them in a somewhat negative light would be shrugged off.
The thing is that Connor possesses noble Qualities, but is not a noble. He`s just so humble and respectful that you cannot help but like him and enjoy his conversations. He has respect to every man and believes that every man is equal and that every is entitled to said respect.

With Connor, I actually tried hard NOT to kill people and coincidentally, it was shown that he dislikes excessive or unnecessary killing. He values rights Immensely that so many moments of anger might seem light to us, but I think he was entitled to every bit rage he showed.
The only Emotional face I saw with Ezio, was when Cristina died. With Connor, I saw that so many times. It connected emotionally with me and every time I saw that face, I actually feel it.

In the end, in terms of Connor, you find yourself killing in the same site you played at and it proves for nothing. He is Imperfect, he made mistakes, he has flaws, he does not Joke, he is a jerk to some, but as soft as a teddy bear to others. he rages and sorrows. He made me ask questions, HE asked questions. and THAT is what makes this character such a genius Creation.

I kind of sound like a fan girl in that post but that was almost 3 years ago, so, in retrospect, I don't like that post too much.

I thought that Connor was one of the best characters Ubisoft created. He's the true and only american hero of the game. He's the embodiment of the Assassins Creed. His hope in human kind, even after everything that happened, is what embodies the Creed. Throughout the games, we've been always told that the Assassins Creed lies in the hope that the order has for people. It's been said by Al-mualim, by Altair in his codex, by Ezio in Brotherhood and Embers. It's the concept that sure, humanity is flawed but there's always hope for better. Always. Connor embodies that. He embodied hope for the people of the Homestead, giving them new lives, he embodied hope for his Assassin recruits when he directed their efforts to a cause and he embodied hope for the Patriots when he encouraged their own commander.

This hope is what kept him fighting even when he lost so much. It's what kept him going. Nothing is better than the story of an underdog. He went against an established Templar rite alone, head on and took them down. His struggle started as a fight for his people ONLY, not realizing that even white men were oppressed. When he saw that with his own eyes, he extended his fight for freedom to everyone, not just his people. He was an idealist who saw the best in everything and everyone. He takes that from Edward, his grandfather and in a sense--I take a page from Black Barts' book in saying that--goodness was their disease. Connor lacked the cunning and shrewdness that defined politics and politicians. Or rather, he simply refused to possess such qualities. Sure, he was a politician, in every meaning of the word but he was an honest one. He was an intelligent strategist but not a sly one.

Connor's arc is about realization and learning. His character is about purity in a time of political theater. In a different medium, he would have been FAR FAR more popular. The gaming fan-base is simply not mature enough to look beyond him being boring. Sure, I have criticisms for AC III's story but every time I replay and watch Connor grow, I can't hep but scratch my head at people who don't like him.

TL;DR, beyond these forums, you'll only find, in my opinion, superficial and silly reasons to dislike Connor, some being because of his ethnicity (There was one post on GameFAQS about how whiney Connor was, talking about his village all the time when the great USA was born and is essentially more important than Connor's puny village)
In these forums, I'v found, in my opinion, substantial forums about his character development and missed opportunities. One complaints here too that I tend to scratch my head at is Noah's voice acting for him. Sure, there are some scenes in the homestead where he sounds monotone and bored but so what? It's like...6 times in the whole game. that's about 2% of the whole game, even Roger Smith had some monotone lines. That said, I don't mind the moments when he's monotone, some fans argue that he's not monotone and make excuses as to why he is that way but it's just bullocks. He is monotone sometimes and that's bloody badass.

EmptyCrustacean
01-09-2015, 02:55 AM
yeah, there's been a lot of these. That said, he's not all that unpopular, as some might have you believe. He won a user voted award where he beat master chief, max payne and hitman.

The reasons? Beyond these forums, you wont find anything else apart from "he's boring". That's because he's not as charismatic as ezio nor jokes a lot. It's also because he "whines" a lot. (keep in mind that ezio "whined" more about his family than connor ever did about his people, i guess thinking about the will being of one's culture and people is considered "whiney" these days)
connor also doesnt grant the power fantasy that a lot of the gaming fanbase want. When you play a game, you become the avatar. You're not watching them accomplish things, you're doing these things. Ezio is a smooth talking, popular, charismatic playboy, while connor is an altruistic, stoic introvert. Ask anyone, they'll tell you they'd rather be ezio.
I'v also seen complaints like "he only cared about his people" and "he's dumb" ..etc, i generally ignore those as obviously the people who say these things never payed attention to the story.

Me? Favorite assassin tied with altair. I wrote a post sometime ago when ac iii was newly released about connor, which people seemed to like a lot.

I kind of sound like a fan girl in that post but that was almost 3 years ago, so, in retrospect, i don't like that post too much.

I thought that connor was one of the best characters ubisoft created. He's the true and only american hero of the game. He's the embodiment of the assassins creed. His hope in human kind, even after everything that happened, is what embodies the creed. Throughout the games, we've been always told that the assassins creed lies in the hope that the order has for people. It's been said by al-mualim, by altair in his codex, by ezio in brotherhood and embers. It's the concept that sure, humanity is flawed but there's always hope for better. Always. Connor embodies that. He embodied hope for the people of the homestead, giving them new lives, he embodied hope for his assassin recruits when he directed their efforts to a cause and he embodied hope for the patriots when he encouraged their own commander.

This hope is what kept him fighting even when he lost so much. It's what kept him going. Nothing is better than the story of an underdog. He went against an established templar rite alone, head on and took them down. His struggle started as a fight for his people only, not realizing that even white men were oppressed. When he saw that with his own eyes, he extended his fight for freedom to everyone, not just his people. He was an idealist who saw the best in everything and everyone. He takes that from edward, his grandfather and in a sense--i take a page from black barts' book in saying that--goodness was their disease. Connor lacked the cunning and shrewdness that defined politics and politicians. Or rather, he simply refused to possess such qualities. Sure, he was a politician, in every meaning of the word but he was an honest one. He was an intelligent strategist but not a sly one.

Connor's arc is about realization and learning. His character is about purity in a time of political theater. In a different medium, he would have been far far more popular. The gaming fan-base is simply not mature enough to look beyond him being boring. Sure, i have criticisms for ac iii's story but every time i replay and watch connor grow, i can't hep but scratch my head at people who don't like him.

Tl;dr, beyond these forums, you'll only find, in my opinion, superficial and silly reasons to dislike connor, some being because of his ethnicity (there was one post on gamefaqs about how whiney connor was, talking about his village all the time when the great usa was born and is essentially more important than connor's puny village)
in these forums, i'v found, in my opinion, substantial forums about his character development and missed opportunities. One complaints here too that i tend to scratch my head at is noah's voice acting for him. Sure, there are some scenes in the homestead where he sounds monotone and bored but so what? It's like...6 times in the whole game. That's about 2% of the whole game, even roger smith had some monotone lines. That said, i don't mind the moments when he's monotone, some fans argue that he's not monotone and make excuses as to why he is that way but it's just bullocks. He is monotone sometimes and that's bloody badass.

lol!

Altair1789
01-09-2015, 02:59 AM
Welcome to the forums
As the others said above me, there's not very much hate for Connor here at all. There's still a tiny bit occasionally though. A lot of people thought he was dull though. I think the main reason is because we had Ezio for 3 games, so anything not Ezio was just kinda strange. Especially when that not-Ezio is pretty much the opposite of Ezio

Kaschra
01-09-2015, 03:06 AM
While I don't agree that Connor is bland or has no personality, he is not one of my fave characters. His personality just doesn't really appeal to me. Overall I'm pretty meh about him.
However, his avid and unfortunately often annyoing and aggressive fanbase has managed to destroy him for me :')
(just like Ezio's fanbase did, except for Revelations Ezio)

EmptyCrustacean
01-09-2015, 03:08 AM
Connor is definitely the most physically attractive protagonist...
and he's probably the most trustworthy and morally pure protagonist...

He's also stubborn
Proud
Dislikes authority
Blind to reason
etc etc

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 03:13 AM
While I don't agree that Connor is bland or has no personality, he is not one of my fave characters. His personality just doesn't really appeal to me. Overall I'm pretty meh about him.
However, his avid and unfortunately often annyoing and aggressive fanbase has managed to destroy him for me :')
See, she gets it. There's no such thing as "Has no personality" That's just dumb. Some people think that introversion = lack of personality.

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 03:15 AM

This is me, except for Ezio. ( And no, this isn't some dig)

While I wouldn't say Ezio's a terrible character or anything, he certainly isn't one of my fave characters. His personality just doesn't do it for me .

Though I generally thought he was decent at first, some of his more ignorant ( and somewhat annoying) fans outside this forum have made me not like him as much.

But I love Revelations & Embers Ezio. ^__^

Kaschra
01-09-2015, 03:20 AM
See, she gets it. There's no such thing as "Has no personality" That's just dumb. Some people think that introversion = lack of personality.
I actually do think that there are characters without personality (like characters who appear for about 0.5 seconds and don't even say a word lol), but Connor definitely HAS a personality.
That annoys me too, that people think that introverted characters have no personality <.<

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 03:26 AM
I actually do think that there are characters without personality (like characters who appear for about 0.5 seconds and don't even say a word lol), but Connor definitely HAS a personality.
That annoys me too, that people think that introverted characters have no personality <.<
Well, it just means that said characters weren't given enough time to showcase that personality. Like Dawes, he only appeared for a few minutes in AC III. His personality of probably that of an uppity, tuppity polar bear but he didn't get the chance to showcase his various talents.

Kaschra
01-09-2015, 03:28 AM
Well, it just means that said characters weren't given enough time to showcase that personality. Like Dawes, he only appeared for a few minutes in AC III. His personality of probably that of an uppity, tuppity polar bear but he didn't get the chance to showcase his various talents.

I don't even remember who that is.
Is that the REALLY ugly dude? :'D

D.I.D.
01-09-2015, 03:39 AM
He had an overused development, to put it kindly. You either found his "prove yourself to the unwilling gruff master until he teaches you the difficult lessons" thing touching, or you wanted to gouge your eyes out for seeing this exact same Master Po/Yoda/Mr. Miyagi routine for the thousandth time.

Connor's voice actor's delivery was a bit off-putting, often seeming to be completely at odds with what was going on - either under-reacting or over-reacting. Then there was the weird flipping between stoicism and dad-issues rage. ACIII had a particularly high number of dad issues, so Connor's weird behaviour towards his father figure was compounded by Desmond's whinging at his dad. The whole game started to feel like it was built for stroppy teenagers.

There were tons of weird moments like this that. "Press X to Dig" made my eyes roll so hard, but to some people this was another one of these things they found beautiful. I suppose you could say that there were a lot of things that, rather than working for you or leaving you cold, produced wildly polarised reactions.

Most of the bad feeling towards Connor is the result of the game itself, I think. The game was very padded with fetch quests, and Connor was treated like some kind of subordinate throughout main and side missions. It's hard to see a character as anything other than bland and dreary if he/she is given bland and dreary chores to carry out. Connor was given this huge motivation at the beginning of the story, but for a lot of us his compulsion to do something about it never felt very real. It's hard to keep a grudge on that scale going for a 15-30hr stretch unless you make it absolutely incandescent, and Connor's feelings weren't expressed in that way. The Charles Lee one became a running joke (although the ultimate cutscene was quite nicely done), whereas the Washington situation was waved away in the strangest manner possible.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 04:13 AM
I don't even remember who that is.
Is that the REALLY ugly dude? :'D
No, it's the guy who was like "Don't worry, that man is no stranger to sticky situations", about Revere to Connor.

Ureh
01-09-2015, 04:13 AM
Yeah it might've helped if some of his interactions with the other recruits and homesteaders were included in the main campaign. A lot of those moments were super optional so a lot of folks probably missed them. If you look at the psnprofiles trophies, only about 1/3 of over 300k registered members talked with all the homesteaders.

Kaschra
01-09-2015, 04:21 AM
No, it's the guy who was like "Don't worry, that man is no stranger to sticky situations", about Revere to Connor.
...then I REALLY don't remember him

Yeah it might've helped if some of his interactions with the other recruits and homesteaders were included in the main campaign. A lot of those moments were super optional so a lot of folks probably missed them. If you look at the psnprofiles trophies, only about 1/3 of over 300k registered members talked with all the homesteaders.

When I played AC3 for the first time, I finished the main story before the Homestead missions, and boy was I confused when Achilles was suddenly dead.
I already thought he was dying, but then there was his grave all of a sudden and I was pissed of because I thought they didn't even create a cutscene for his death.
Turns out it happened during the Homestead missions :rolleyes:
His death shouldn't have been optional.

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 04:31 AM
His death shouldn't have been optional.

This.

Would've been very emotional before killing Lee.

VoldR
01-09-2015, 05:46 AM
:)
Since young I've noticed how people have as much similarities and differ to each other as well.

Not just in culture but personality & attitude. Not all behave the same just because they're from the same culture.
Even age, noticed how teachers are still kids in their own office whenever I went there (not for punishment, lol)

So even if someone is as people say bland, well that's either the way they are or people don't take notice of the people they judge better.

I love the way he struck Achilles house with a tomahawk so 'like eh'
While the old guy lost his temper.

:D

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-09-2015, 06:01 AM
It's a double edged sword really. Lots of people on these forums seem to like him, but the general public doesn't. One of AC3's biggest complaints from people is that Connor just wasn't very interesting.
He's not even a bad character. He is a unique and well acted by Noah Watts. He just isn't very enjoyable to watch. He has his moments but I have never liked him as much as Edward, Ezio, Altair or Arno.

My main problem is that his reaction to people trying to help him is to yell and get pissed off. Frankly it's just annoying to watch. I'm not saying it's out of place, because I'm sure if you're new to civilisation and urban culture you wouldn't know how to react to people, but the point still stands. He's just an annoying character to listen to. I remember the scene when Sam Adams is trying to help him with the Boston Tea Party and Connor starts yelling and getting mad for no obvious reason, and so Sam has to treat him like a baby and say 'let's make Connor the leader so that he isn't mad! You can take us there!'. He just seems like a huge man-child in the game. He yells and gets pissed off at people trying to help him. He'd be one of the only protagonists I have played where I would actually get pissed off at him.

He also seems to take credit and act like he is some huge badass. Like when he holds back the British with that cannon he goes to Washington and Lafayette and says 'Will be the last victory I deliver you'. It takes some real arrogance to say something like that.

Also some slight annoyances like 'WHERE IS CHARLES LEE'.
'I have to do this for my people'
Also when he tries to belittle Achilles. Man it felt satisfying when Achilles put Connor in his place. It was even funnier when he, a fit man in his 20s challenged a 60 year old to a fistfight. Really? How pathetic are you?

Overall Connor just came across as a bit of a **** to me. He had good intentions and he did have potential to be very nice (homestead missions) but a lot of story mode cutscenes was just him yelling and being an arrogant ***. He reminded me a lot of Aiden Pearce.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 07:28 AM
My main problem is that his reaction to people trying to help him is to yell and get pissed off. Frankly it's just annoying to watch. I'm not saying it's out of place, because I'm sure if you're new to civilisation and urban culture you wouldn't know how to react to people, but the point still stands. He's just an annoying character to listen to. I remember the scene when Sam Adams is trying to help him with the Boston Tea Party and Connor starts yelling and getting mad for no obvious reason, and so Sam has to treat him like a baby and say 'let's make Connor the leader so that he isn't mad! You can take us there!'. He just seems like a huge man-child in the game. He yells and gets pissed off at people trying to help him. He'd be one of the only protagonists I have played where I would actually get pissed off at him.
Adams wasn't trying to help him, Adams was taking advantage of him. This is how it went.
"I wanna locate Johnson"
"Okay, meet me at this pub"

*goes to pub*

"Raa Raa, tea, oppression"
"Where is Johnson?"
"Why do you need to know, Connor?"
"He wants to buy my people's land without their consent"
"Hmmmm, it must be the tea smuggling that's financing this, destroy it"
"Fair enough, I shall"

*Destroys tea, goes back to pub*

"Where is Sam Adams?"
"ARAFARAFARAFA I KELL REDCOATS"

*Connor tries to calm Stephan down as he goes on a rage across the city, while protecting him at the same time*

"Where the feck is Adams?"

*Goes to town house*

Connor: "Where is Adams?"
William: "We're waiting for his signal"
Sam: "Okay, gents, lets be off"
Connor: "No, what the heck are you planning? I'v been doing what you tell me to do all day, I would like to know what you intend"
Sam: "We destroy more tea, simple"
Connor: "How exactly is this simple??"

This has nothing to do with civilization or urban culture. This is a guy who asked a favor of someone and that someone trailed him around all over Boston having him do his bidding and in the end, it proves worthless as destroying the tea only temporarily holds Johnson off and he comes back and STILL attempts to buy the village. I'd be inclined to call you out on the "civilization" comment, implying that he's a savage but I wont.

He also seems to take credit and act like he is some huge badass. Like when he holds back the British with that cannon he goes to Washington and Lafayette and says 'Will be the last victory I deliver you'. It takes some real arrogance to say something like that.
Oh suuuuure, it's not like Connor was a huge help in destroying the tea, it's not like he saved the Patriots at Lexington and Concord by helping Revere warn everyone and held the town as the Brits advanced, it's not like he assisted the Patriots NUMEROUS times in many battles such as in Harlem, Trenton and Delaware, it's not like he saved GW from an assassination attempt, it's not like he saved the Patriots at Monmouth, oh no, how arrogant of him. Lets also forget how he refuses to take ANY credit when the patriots and Achilles DO give him credit. EVERY single time the Patriots and Achilles tell him "Well done" he replies with "I didn't do anything"

'I have to do this for my people'
Only says it a couple of times and how is this annoying?

Also when he tries to belittle Achilles. Man it felt satisfying when Achilles put Connor in his place. It was even funnier when he, a fit man in his 20s challenged a 60 year old to a fistfight. Really? How pathetic are you?
The first argument was supposed to be playful, mate. I dunno, I thought the playful music would have tipped you in on that but I guess not.

yelling and being an arrogant ***. He reminded me a lot of Aiden Pearce.
Now I must really ask, did you ACTUALLY pay attention to the story at all? I'm sorry, I sound annoying i'm sure but it's just simply that you're describing a vastly different character.

GunnerGalactico
01-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Well, I didn't really like Connor at first. I found him too impulsive, grumpy and uptight. His voice was a bit monotone at times, but after listening to the podcast with Noah Watts- it kinda clarified things. It was only after sequence 8 that I eventually warmed up to him. I don't think he is a bad character at all, he just did not appeal to a lot of people. To me, Connor represents the old-fashioned ideals of a heroic character in terms of: doing what is right, helping people in need, perseverance and determination etc. I find those qualities very admirable.

mikeyf1999
01-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Because there was absolutely nothing remotely interesting I found about RatonhnhakÚ:ton

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Adams wasn't trying to help him, Adams was taking advantage of him. This is how it went.
"I wanna locate Johnson"
"Okay, meet me at this pub"

*goes to pub*

"Raa Raa, tea, oppression"
"Where is Johnson?"
"Why do you need to know, Connor?"
"He wants to buy my people's land without their consent"
"Hmmmm, it must be the tea smuggling that's financing this, destroy it"
"Fair enough, I shall"

*Destroys tea, goes back to pub*

"Where is Sam Adams?"
"ARAFARAFARAFA I KELL REDCOATS"

*Connor tries to calm Stephan down as he goes on a rage across the city, while protecting him at the same time*

"Where the feck is Adams?"

*Goes to town house*

Connor: "Where is Adams?"
William: "We're waiting for his signal"
Sam: "Okay, gents, lets be off"
Connor: "No, what the heck are you planning? I'v been doing what you tell me to do all day, I would like to know what you intend"
Sam: "We destroy more tea, simple"
Connor: "How exactly is this simple??"

This has nothing to do with civilization or urban culture. This is a guy who asked a favor of someone and that someone trailed him around all over Boston having him do his bidding and in the end, it proves worthless as destroying the tea only temporarily holds Johnson off and he comes back and STILL attempts to buy the village. I'd be inclined to call you out on the "civilization" comment, implying that he's a savage but I wont.

Oh suuuuure, it's not like Connor was a huge help in destroying the tea, it's not like he saved the Patriots at Lexington and Concord by helping Revere warn everyone and held the town as the Brits advanced, it's not like he assisted the Patriots NUMEROUS times in many battles such as in Harlem, Trenton and Delaware, it's not like he saved GW from an assassination attempt, it's not like he saved the Patriots at Monmouth, oh no, how arrogant of him. Lets also forget how he refuses to take ANY credit when the patriots and Achilles DO give him credit. EVERY single time the Patriots and Achilles tell him "Well done" he replies with "I didn't do anything"

Only says it a couple of times and how is this annoying?

The first argument was supposed to be playful, mate. I dunno, I thought the playful music would have tipped you in on that but I guess not.

Now I must really ask, did you ACTUALLY pay attention to the story at all? I'm sorry, I sound annoying i'm sure but it's just simply that you're describing a vastly different character.

Damn. I knew I would have made someone mad. Not my intention, and sorry if I did.

I agree that Connor was getting fairy'd around a lot, and it's probably quite human to get pissed off. As I said he was a good character, just not one I liked. This is an example of that. Sam is doing a favour by temporarily halting William from buying Connor's land (which Connor thought would save his people permanently), so from Connor's perspective and what he knows Sam was doing him a huge favour. He said to Connor they're going to destroy the tea to remove Williams funds which will prevent him from buying Connor's people's land, and Connor just starts yelling and is like 'SIMPLE IS A BIT CHARITABLE'. Like relax, deep breaths and sort this out like adults. You aren't a child, don't act like one. Talk out your differences and come to an agreement like an adult, instead of yelling and screaming.

Also no doubt he had a huge influence on the Revolution. I don't think anyone is trying to debate that here. But he must be one smart guy to do all the calculations involved to determine if he won the Revolution for them. Point is he can't know for sure he is winning it for them. May seem probable at times, but even if he was winning it for them it's still pretty arrogant anyway. This actually surprised me because as you said there are other moments where he is very humble and kind, so it's weird and all the more annoying when stuff like the arrogance does happen.

The 'for my people thing' is more of a personal annoyance. I think it's more the delivery of the lines than anything to be honest. It's like at the X1 convention when the guy said 'TV' a lot. It makes sense in the context but it's still kind of annoying. Hard to explain.

The scene with Achilles. Even with the music you could see Connor was angry. Like when Achilles was walking up the stairs saying 'well then return the robes, and the weapons and the years of training' Connor had a mad look on his face. I don't buy the argument that it was purely playful. That sounds like more of an interpretive thing. I knew Achilles was joking, that was obvious. I thought the music was just representing the fact that Achilles is making Connor mad as a sort of joke because he doesn't seem to give Achilles enough credit, proven with the statement 'why should I give you any credit'. Hopefully I made myself clear here. I'm tired.

I was comparing the annoyances I had with Connor to Aiden Pearce. I didn't mean to compare them in terms of characteristics or personality. In fact I didn't compare them at all. Connor and my peeves with him reminded me of Aiden. Both had some cliche dialogue every now and then and both would try take credit.

Again I'm not trying to make out Connor as a bad character. He'd be one of the most unique in the franchise for sure. He's a good character and he's much more realistic than other characters. I just didn't like him as much, and that's fine.

EDIT: On a side note about the whole civilisation comment. I wasn't trying to be racist or anything. In fact I didn't even imply it. It's just the reality that someone like him, who hasn't ever been to a city until 15 or whatever would find it hard to fit in. He had been living in a Native American village for well over a decade, and to transition from that into an established English culture is jarring.Like a child who has been home schooled for his whole life trying to fit into a school environment. It takes adjustment, and it was clear that Connor was trying to fit in and may not have known the custom emotions to certain situations that are deemed appropriate in an urban environment. It was not once ever implied he was a savage.

Fatal-Feit
01-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Nah, _M is never mad. He can seem aggressive sometimes, but he's as chill as a cucumber.

He enjoys a healthy debate, so keep it up.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Nah, _M is never mad. He can seem aggressive sometimes, but he's as chill as a cucumber.

Phew.... good to know.

TheWaytoSayHi
01-09-2015, 03:00 PM
I never felt like Connor was whining. I mean, I'd be upset if I was sent to destroy some tea just so I can get some answers, but then right after I finish, I'm sent to destroy MORE TEA. It would feel unnecessary and tedious. But I do agree on the random bursts of arrogance. It felt out of place for someone who was humble and noble all the way until that point.And if you compare his personality towards the Homestead folks to those that he works with to find Charles Lee, it seems like he just puts on the "****** mask" so that he can get his point across faster. For example, Sam Adams and Paul Revere. He was aggressive to an extent, but when speaking to those he knew didn't know anything about Charles Lee, he was caring and protective.

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-09-2015, 03:24 PM
I never felt like Connor was whining. I mean, I'd be upset if I was sent to destroy some tea just so I can get some answers, but then right after I finish, I'm sent to destroy MORE TEA. It would feel unnecessary and tedious. But I do agree on the random bursts of arrogance. It felt out of place for someone who was humble and noble all the way until that point.And if you compare his personality towards the Homestead folks to those that he works with to find Charles Lee, it seems like he just puts on the "****** mask" so that he can get his point across faster. For example, Sam Adams and Paul Revere. He was aggressive to an extent, but when speaking to those he knew didn't know anything about Charles Lee, he was caring and protective.

Exactly.
My point was that he's not a bad character. I can see why he is angry, and it makes sense that he is angry :) I just didn't like him. I just don't like his last resort to yell and rage

dargor5
01-09-2015, 05:31 PM
I liked the changed in personality with Connor, he was after all a Native American, can speak for the ones living right now but back then supposedly they were very naive people that didn't have that malice the people from the old world had.

Perk89
01-09-2015, 05:53 PM
Honestly I've kind of taken to mark anyone that says that Connor isn't a very good protagonist as... Well.... Unintelligent.
If you don't like Connor, it's one thing. But to say you think that he is anything but an excellent protagonist demonstrates a high school level understanding of characters and narratives. If your opinion of a character revolves solely around whether you like them or not, then I recommend taking some advanced college literature courses.

Connor isn't likeable in some regards-he wasn't intended to be. He is, however, one of the best characters this series has put forth. He drives his narrative in a way you don't often see in this medium.He affects his world in a unique, powerful way-and I'm not talking about his scenic tour of the American Revolution, but his personal battles/friends/etc.

He is a spectacular character, and best of all for me, one who doesn't fall into the ridiculous cliche' of the "broody anti-hero, willing to make to make the hard choices for the greater good!" that has been miserably shoved down our throats in every fictional medium for the last 20 years. He is a good man, unwavering and uncompromising in his beliefs, who can actually make the real tough choice-the choice to be good no matter what.

SixKeys
01-09-2015, 06:12 PM
I'm mostly indifferent to Connor, it's his fanbase I can't stand. (Not the chill ones, obviously, the ones who act like you're a moron and a racist if you don't like this fictional video game characrer.)

My only real problem with him is the voice-acting which I thought was terrible. Noah Watts CAN act, I've seen him do it in live action, but as a voice actor he's just not in his element. Some people are great actors in front of a camera because they rely on physical expression and chemistry between other actors. Being a good physical actor doesn't automatically translate to good voice-actor, though. Philip Shahbaz (Alta´r in AC1) kind of had the same problem, and back then they didn't even have mo-cap or other actors in the studio, just one man in a booth reading lines to dead air.

So I've got nothing against Watts personally, I'm sure he's a fine actor when he's in his own element. His performance as Connor left me cold though, and certain story problems/inconsistencies made the character unappealing as a whole.

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-09-2015, 06:25 PM
Honestly I've kind of taken to mark anyone that says that Connor isn't a very good protagonist as... Well.... Unintelligent.
If you don't like Connor, it's one thing. But to say you think that he is anything but an excellent protagonist demonstrates a high school level understanding of characters and narratives. If your opinion of a character revolves solely around whether you like them or not, then I recommend taking some advanced college literature courses.

Connor isn't likeable in some regards-he wasn't intended to be. He is, however, one of the best characters this series has put forth. He drives his narrative in a way you don't often see in this medium.He affects his world in a unique, powerful way-and I'm not talking about his scenic tour of the American Revolution, but his personal battles/friends/etc.

He is a spectacular character, and best of all for me, one who doesn't fall into the ridiculous cliche' of the "broody anti-hero, willing to make to make the hard choices for the greater good!" that has been miserably shoved down our throats in every fictional medium for the last 20 years. He is a good man, unwavering and uncompromising in his beliefs, who can actually make the real tough choice-the choice to be good no matter what.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/760/085/applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789

ze_topazio
01-09-2015, 07:31 PM
I'm mostly indifferent to Connor, it's his fanbase I can't stand. (Not the chill ones, obviously, the ones who act like you're a moron and a racist if you don't like this fictional video game characrer.)

My only real problem with him is the voice-acting which I thought was terrible. Noah Watts CAN act, I've seen him do it in live action, but as a voice actor he's just not in his element. Some people are great actors in front of a camera because they rely on physical expression and chemistry between other actors. Being a good physical actor doesn't automatically translate to good voice-actor, though. Philip Shahbaz (Alta´r in AC1) kind of had the same problem, and back then they didn't even have mo-cap or other actors in the studio, just one man in a booth reading lines to dead air.

So I've got nothing against Watts personally, I'm sure he's a fine actor when he's in his own element. His performance as Connor left me cold though, and certain story problems/inconsistencies made the character unappealing as a whole.

The thing about Altair's emotionless voice in AC1 is that it actually fitted the character, but Connor is supposed to have a lot feelings and the character, thanks to mo-cap, has a lot of body language, he makes a lot of expressions, moves his arms around, etc..., the voice acting doesn't complement this well most of the time.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 08:01 PM

Damn. I knew I would have made someone mad. Not my intention, and sorry if I did.
Yes, yes, what he said. Thanks, mate. I just don't use smileys, read my signature.

I especially liked your thread about AC rogue, I always appreciate someone who's willing to put a lot of effort in their posts. Now, back to arguing.

I agree that Connor was getting fairy'd around a lot, and it's probably quite human to get pissed off. As I said he was a good character, just not one I liked. This is an example of that. Sam is doing a favour by temporarily halting William from buying Connor's land (which Connor thought would save his people permanently), so from Connor's perspective and what he knows Sam was doing him a huge favour. He said to Connor they're going to destroy the tea to remove Williams funds which will prevent him from buying Connor's people's land, and Connor just starts yelling and is like 'SIMPLE IS A BIT CHARITABLE'. Like relax, deep breaths and sort this out like adults. You aren't a child, don't act like one. Talk out your differences and come to an agreement like an adult, instead of yelling and screaming.
Okay, you say that it's human to be pissed off but then go on and say it's childish, come now. As I explained, Sam's favor was not a favor at all, he was taking advantage of Connor's abilities to have him be an asset for the sons of liberty. Sam didn't say it'll temporarily halt Johnson, Sam kept tagging him along. He told him to destroy the tea and stop its entry into the city, he did that, which was no simple task. Then he's afterwards dragged along and told that it's simple. Well, no, Sam, you're here giving speeches and i'm OUT THERE destroying the tea. Come on, mate. Just because Sam looked like he was calm and nice, doesn't mean he wasn't tagging Connor along and stringing him. The whole premise of the alliance Connor makes with the Patriots is based on them taking advantage of him. Connor didn't think it'd save it permanently, he was told so by Sam. He doesn't start yelling out of nowhere, it's warranted. I'd be inclined to agree with you, if Connor hadn't been calm throughout the whole endeavor.

Also no doubt he had a huge influence on the Revolution. I don't think anyone is trying to debate that here. But he must be one smart guy to do all the calculations involved to determine if he won the Revolution for them. Point is he can't know for sure he is winning it for them. May seem probable at times, but even if he was winning it for them it's still pretty arrogant anyway. This actually surprised me because as you said there are other moments where he is very humble and kind, so it's weird and all the more annoying when stuff like the arrogance does happen.
He did win it for them. Didn't you do any of the contracts for your recruits? Connor sends his recruits NUMEROUS TIMES to assist the Patriots in a lot of battles. There are contracts where he raises Patriot morale, helps stage other tea parties and halts British advancements. He's there when GW crosses the Delaware, he's there for the battle of Harlem. Jeez, every battle that GW won had Connor involved somehow. I'm pretty sure anyone who knows this, knows all of these battle would KNOW that they'v delivered GW a lot of victories. Now, I don't know if that's your american pride speaking but I wont assume as much.

Again, remember the situations. the situations when he's humble and the situations where he's shown to be "arrogant". Wouldnt you be slightly annoyed if you do things for someone and they're treating you like crap? Here's Connor, he's out there, killing people (That takes its toll on a person), winning battles and Achilles comes along and keeps discouraging him, telling him that he'll fail. Imagine your father figure constantly telling you that you'll fail. All that pressure, all that work and he's telling you'll fail. You're bound to blow up. See, you didnt try to put yourself in his shoes. I don't if this is a lack of empathy or what but EVERYTHING he did was warranted, when the situation is put into perspective.

The scene with Achilles. Even with the music you could see Connor was angry. Like when Achilles was walking up the stairs saying 'well then return the robes, and the weapons and the years of training' Connor had a mad look on his face. I don't buy the argument that it was purely playful. That sounds like more of an interpretive thing. I knew Achilles was joking, that was obvious. I thought the music was just representing the fact that Achilles is making Connor mad as a sort of joke because he doesn't seem to give Achilles enough credit, proven with the statement 'why should I give you any credit'. Hopefully I made myself clear here. I'm tired.
OF COURSE he was angry. As I said, Connor's doing all of this and then Achilles NEVER encourages him, he's always telling him that he'll fail, in every turn. Again, imagine someone telling you that all the time (Heck, Connor was surprised when Achilles complimented his work, even though Achilles said AGAIN that he'll fail) couple that with the pressure, the killing, it all comes crashing down on a person. No one is super cool all the time, people have their limits. You know, hey man, sorry Connor is not as cool as you are or as Ezio all the time, I mean, it's not like he has the whole world on his shoulders. A destroyed Order, a threatened people and a discouraging environment. It's shocking that the guy didn't blow up more or just up and quit.

And yes, it was playful. The music was supposed to convey that. Not to mention that when Achilles and Connor argued for real and Connor said all those terrible things, he apologized, so I don't see your point to be honest.

I was comparing the annoyances I had with Connor to Aiden Pearce. I didn't mean to compare them in terms of characteristics or personality. In fact I didn't compare them at all. Connor and my peeves with him reminded me of Aiden. Both had some cliche dialogue every now and then and both would try take credit.
I know. Aiden Pearce sucks, though.

Again I'm not trying to make out Connor as a bad character. He'd be one of the most unique in the franchise for sure. He's a good character and he's much more realistic than other characters. I just didn't like him as much, and that's fine.
I know, I know, this argument is not on whether or not he's a bad character, just discussing and putting into perspective his character.

EDIT: On a side note about the whole civilisation comment. I wasn't trying to be racist or anything. In fact I didn't even imply it. It's just the reality that someone like him, who hasn't ever been to a city until 15 or whatever would find it hard to fit in. He had been living in a Native American village for well over a decade, and to transition from that into an established English culture is jarring.Like a child who has been home schooled for his whole life trying to fit into a school environment. It takes adjustment, and it was clear that Connor was trying to fit in and may not have known the custom emotions to certain situations that are deemed appropriate in an urban environment. It was not once ever implied he was a savage.
I dunno, kinda still implies that politeness and social etiquette are only found in established English culture while lacking in Connor's Mohawk upbringing but noted. Thanks for explaining. I never really meant that you were racist at all, sorry if it came across that way.

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 08:08 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/article/media_slots/photos/000/760/085/applause-gif-tumblr-47_original.gif?1363040789
I don't think you should endorse people calling others unintelligent for disliking a character he likes. I mean, sure, I agree with him that Connor is a complex and fascinating character but I don't think everybody who disliked him is unintelligent.

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-09-2015, 08:55 PM
I don't think you should endorse people calling others unintelligent for disliking a character he likes. I mean, sure, I agree with him that Connor is a complex and fascinating character but I don't think everybody who disliked him is unintelligent.

I wasn't agreeing with that part _M.

I was agreeing with how good the Connor part of post was *facepalms into oblivion*

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 10:11 PM
I wasn't agreeing with that part _M.

I was agreeing with how good the Connor part of post was *facepalms into oblivion*
Why face-palming? you didnt state anywhere that you only agree with the part about Connor so naturally I assumed that you agreed with everything.

JustPlainQuirky
01-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Nerdie facepalms a lot unnecessarily.

She's a dummy.

But she's my dummy :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 10:20 PM
Hey y'all.

See you guys talking bout Cunr again. :rolleyes: :p

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Why face-palming? you didnt state anywhere that you only agree with the part about Connor so naturally I assumed that you agreed with everything.

In other words, you read that as I was saying "I agree with you calling this dude unintelligent," which wasn't the case.

Next time I'll just start using my highlights more. My bad, bruh :p :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
01-09-2015, 10:27 PM
In other words, you read that as I was saying "I agree with you calling this dude unintelligent," which wasn't the case.

Next time I'll just start using my highlights more. My bad, bruh :p :rolleyes:
No harm done, breddah

Namikaze_17
01-09-2015, 10:28 PM
But to say you think that he is anything but an excellent protagonist demonstrates a high school level understanding of characters and narratives.

Now is saying that really nice and/or necessary mate? :rolleyes:

Though I agree with all you said about Connor. ^__^

Hood2theBurbs
01-10-2015, 12:21 AM
I find that most Connor hate is unwarranted, but I understand that he's not everyone's cup of tea. Anyway I hated Connor when I played AClll (didn't like AClll either) the first time for a variety of reasons some personal others stupid and shallow, but after growing up a little bit and taking a break from Assassin's Creed; I found that Connor is now my favorite character ever (also warmed up to AClll as well). He's far from perfect and he'll probably rub some people the wrong way but he's a human character and that's what makes him intresting.

SpiritOfNevaeh
01-10-2015, 02:07 AM
I find that most Connor hate is unwarranted, but I understand that he's not everyone's cup of tea. Anyway I hated Connor when I played AClll (didn't like AClll either) the first time for a variety of reasons some personal others stupid and shallow, but after growing up a little bit and taking a break from Assassin's Creed; I found that Connor is now my favorite character ever (also warmed up to AClll as well). He's far from perfect and he'll probably rub some people the wrong way but he's a human character and that's what makes him intresting.

Man, if I had a nickel for every time this exact same thing happened to a "converted Connor naysayer" :rolleyes:

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-10-2015, 04:58 AM
Yes, yes, what he said. Thanks, mate. I just don't use smileys, read my signature.

I especially liked your thread about AC rogue, I always appreciate someone who's willing to put a lot of effort in their posts. Now, back to arguing.

Okay, you say that it's human to be pissed off but then go on and say it's childish, come now. As I explained, Sam's favor was not a favor at all, he was taking advantage of Connor's abilities to have him be an asset for the sons of liberty. Sam didn't say it'll temporarily halt Johnson, Sam kept tagging him along. He told him to destroy the tea and stop its entry into the city, he did that, which was no simple task. Then he's afterwards dragged along and told that it's simple. Well, no, Sam, you're here giving speeches and i'm OUT THERE destroying the tea. Come on, mate. Just because Sam looked like he was calm and nice, doesn't mean he wasn't tagging Connor along and stringing him. The whole premise of the alliance Connor makes with the Patriots is based on them taking advantage of him. Connor didn't think it'd save it permanently, he was told so by Sam. He doesn't start yelling out of nowhere, it's warranted. I'd be inclined to agree with you, if Connor hadn't been calm throughout the whole endeavor.

He did win it for them. Didn't you do any of the contracts for your recruits? Connor sends his recruits NUMEROUS TIMES to assist the Patriots in a lot of battles. There are contracts where he raises Patriot morale, helps stage other tea parties and halts British advancements. He's there when GW crosses the Delaware, he's there for the battle of Harlem. Jeez, every battle that GW won had Connor involved somehow. I'm pretty sure anyone who knows this, knows all of these battle would KNOW that they'v delivered GW a lot of victories. Now, I don't know if that's your american pride speaking but I wont assume as much.

Again, remember the situations. the situations when he's humble and the situations where he's shown to be "arrogant". Wouldnt you be slightly annoyed if you do things for someone and they're treating you like crap? Here's Connor, he's out there, killing people (That takes its toll on a person), winning battles and Achilles comes along and keeps discouraging him, telling him that he'll fail. Imagine your father figure constantly telling you that you'll fail. All that pressure, all that work and he's telling you'll fail. You're bound to blow up. See, you didnt try to put yourself in his shoes. I don't if this is a lack of empathy or what but EVERYTHING he did was warranted, when the situation is put into perspective.

OF COURSE he was angry. As I said, Connor's doing all of this and then Achilles NEVER encourages him, he's always telling him that he'll fail, in every turn. Again, imagine someone telling you that all the time (Heck, Connor was surprised when Achilles complimented his work, even though Achilles said AGAIN that he'll fail) couple that with the pressure, the killing, it all comes crashing down on a person. No one is super cool all the time, people have their limits. You know, hey man, sorry Connor is not as cool as you are or as Ezio all the time, I mean, it's not like he has the whole world on his shoulders. A destroyed Order, a threatened people and a discouraging environment. It's shocking that the guy didn't blow up more or just up and quit.

And yes, it was playful. The music was supposed to convey that. Not to mention that when Achilles and Connor argued for real and Connor said all those terrible things, he apologized, so I don't see your point to be honest.

I know. Aiden Pearce sucks, though.

I know, I know, this argument is not on whether or not he's a bad character, just discussing and putting into perspective his character.

I dunno, kinda still implies that politeness and social etiquette are only found in established English culture while lacking in Connor's Mohawk upbringing but noted. Thanks for explaining. I never really meant that you were racist at all, sorry if it came across that way.

Just a couple minor things I will point out. I mostly agree with what you say, but I digress:
- I said it's human to be pissed off. I said it's childish to yell and scream. Everyone gets angry sometimes. That's fine and it's a human emotion. But it's how you deal with this anger that defines a persons maturity. You can still be mad and act civilised. Yelling is rarely a good solution to a problem. There are better ways to deal with things than to yell and scream.
- Even if Sam was taking advantage of Connor he still helped him by halting William's power to buy the land. It's not a complete one way thing. It's not like Connor was doing all the work either. Yes he did do a lot of it, but the crew were there with the Boston Tea Party throwing the tea off to help him out. I just thought they were both gaining something from it.
- Not even remotely American, nor have I ever been to America. Not sure why you would try spin that argument. Seems kind of out-of-place.
- I agree with you about Connor apologized for the argument. Even though I thought both Achilles and Connor were right it was good he apologized.
- Agreed Aiden Pearce sucks.
- I wasn't trying to imply that social etiquette can only be found in English culture. That's just silly. I was just saying that because Boston and New York were still fairly British at the time. If they were French I would have said French culture etc.

Just finally, because I know others will read this.
I'm not saying Connor is weird nor is he a bad character. I just don't like watching him on screen. If I was in his shoes I'd probably be pissed off as well, but that's besides the point. Ezio, even if a bit unrealistic was just more enjoyable to watch. This isn't directed at you personally Assassin_M, I've just seen people respond with 'well put yourself in his shoes!' or 'what do you expect him to do!'. These types of arguments are escaping the point.

But cheers for the response. You're much more civil then some of the others over on Reddit. Jesus they are annoying...

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
01-10-2015, 05:07 AM

Definitely. The guys on these forums aren't too bad (there are some like this) but if you ever say a bad thing about Connor on Reddit you get this army of people calling you a racist. They can't handle different opinions. Bigotry at its finest. I had a guy say I was against black people and native Americans because I said Connor wasn't as fun to watch as Ezio or Edward.

GunnerGalactico
01-10-2015, 06:22 AM
I find that most Connor hate is unwarranted, but I understand that he's not everyone's cup of tea. Anyway I hated Connor when I played AClll (didn't like AClll either) the first time for a variety of reasons some personal others stupid and shallow, but after growing up a little bit and taking a break from Assassin's Creed; I found that Connor is now my favorite character ever (also warmed up to AClll as well). He's far from perfect and he'll probably rub some people the wrong way but he's a human character and that's what makes him interesting.

I felt the same way. :p

Man, if I had a nickel for every time this exact same thing happened to a "converted Connor naysayer" :rolleyes:

I guess playing AC3 for a second time can really open your head, sometimes. I should know ;)

Assassin_M
01-10-2015, 06:44 AM
- I said it's human to be pissed off. I said it's childish to yell and scream. Everyone gets angry sometimes. That's fine and it's a human emotion. But it's how you deal with this anger that defines a persons maturity. You can still be mad and act civilised. Yelling is rarely a good solution to a problem. There are better ways to deal with things than to yell and scream.
Thing is, Connor doesnt yell and scream all the time. He only does it when he's had enough crap and about maturity, He's actually 17 during the Boston Tea Party. He's a teenager. Yup.

- Even if Sam was taking advantage of Connor he still helped him by halting William's power to buy the land. It's not a complete one way thing. It's not like Connor was doing all the work either. Yes he did do a lot of it, but the crew were there with the Boston Tea Party throwing the tea off to help him out. I just thought they were both gaining something from it.
And Connor never denied Samuel's help or ate his credit, he just wanted to know what the plan was. Actually up until the tea party, Connor was doing all the work. He was the one stopping the tea from entering Boston and destroying whatever entered. And heck, even during the tea party, Connor was doing most of the work. Compare throwing crates to running back and forth fighting British guards.

- Not even remotely American, nor have I ever been to America. Not sure why you would try spin that argument. Seems kind of out-of-place.
Ehhhh, I know. I noted your spelling of words that would point at you not being american but I thought "hmmmm....maybe he's an american living in Europe" Come on, there's a lot of patriotic Americans, gimme a break.

- Agreed Aiden Pearce sucks.
He does, doesnt he? He's like....this empty vessel that sounds like batman.

- I wasn't trying to imply that social etiquette can only be found in English culture. That's just silly. I was just saying that because Boston and New York were still fairly British at the time. If they were French I would have said French culture etc.
Bah, I know, i just threw that around.

These types of arguments are escaping the point.
They're really not. Especially since we're talking about video games. If we're talking about movies, I'd be inclined to agree and I'd probably not bring up this argument but with video games, it's kind of the whole point. It's an interactive medium. It's interactive story telling, there's nothing else like it. You become the avatar. The ears and eyes in the world of this game. From that point on, it's the developers' job to make you care about this avatar, if you're supposed to. That said, it's kind of important to put yourself in said avatar's shoes because, well you ARE in their shoes and it's most true for the Assassins Creed series as you're literally reliving lives of ancestors, so it's entirely the point.

But cheers for the response. You're much more civil then some of the others over on Reddit. Jesus they are annoying...
Haha, of course, mate. Thank you for a good debate. It's the same situation with me and Ezio fanboys on Youtube.

Hood2theBurbs
01-10-2015, 07:19 AM
It's funny because I really wouldn't have played AClll if it hadn't been for Unity. When I first saw the trailers and realized that the setting was the French Revolution it gave me this itch go back and play AClll not exactly sure why but I'm glad I did even though I was a bit reluctant to in the beginning.

roostersrule2
01-10-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm mostly indifferent to Connor, it's his fanbase I can't stand. (Not the chill ones, obviously, the ones who act like you're a moron and a racist if you don't like this fictional video game characrer.)Indeed.

Connor was never my favourite character but his fanbase made me loathe him for a time. Unlike all Ezio fans who are upstanding citizens whom the world needs more of.

GunnerGalactico
01-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Indeed.

Connor was never my favourite character but his fanbase made me loathe him for a time. Unlike all Ezio fans who are upstanding citizens whom the world needs more of.

Lol... sure, all Ezio fans are model citizens. :rolleyes: