PDA

View Full Version : I-16

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Hello Fellow Pilots,

I am still new to this game. Have started several campaigns (Russian fighter) in the last several days as I continue to tweak my system settings to achieve Perfect mode without graphic/sound problems.I have also played around with in-game settings.

A couple of noob questions. I think I would like to start my first "real" campaign using Normal settings with the exception of plane icons & map icons and no engine management.

Having said this, I believe one of my "test" missions involved a plane with barely enough fuel to enter the combat area. Not realizing this, I eventual ran out of gas and crashed.

Are there missions like this? If so, what do I do? Return to base, and if os, do I get a mission complete? By the way, I couldn't see the fuel gauge in the I-16, where is it?

With regards to limited guns, do I return to base after I run out or stay with my squad?

I must admit, I am still debating this one; though I auto-pilot on fast game speed to the combat area most of the time, I like the fact on my trial missions of having unlimited guns to enjoy prolonged dogfights, especially since I realize I am still shooting too early and too long.

But with limited guns I think it will force me to get better, and in missions that I have bombs it just seems too unrealistic to keep dropping bombs without end.

One final note, I was surprised to discover that Auto-Pilot will both undertake a take-off and landing, I assumed it was limited to following flight paths (I prefer to do these things on my own).

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Hello Fellow Pilots,

I am still new to this game. Have started several campaigns (Russian fighter) in the last several days as I continue to tweak my system settings to achieve Perfect mode without graphic/sound problems.I have also played around with in-game settings.

A couple of noob questions. I think I would like to start my first "real" campaign using Normal settings with the exception of plane icons & map icons and no engine management.

Having said this, I believe one of my "test" missions involved a plane with barely enough fuel to enter the combat area. Not realizing this, I eventual ran out of gas and crashed.

Are there missions like this? If so, what do I do? Return to base, and if os, do I get a mission complete? By the way, I couldn't see the fuel gauge in the I-16, where is it?

With regards to limited guns, do I return to base after I run out or stay with my squad?

I must admit, I am still debating this one; though I auto-pilot on fast game speed to the combat area most of the time, I like the fact on my trial missions of having unlimited guns to enjoy prolonged dogfights, especially since I realize I am still shooting too early and too long.

But with limited guns I think it will force me to get better, and in missions that I have bombs it just seems too unrealistic to keep dropping bombs without end.

One final note, I was surprised to discover that Auto-Pilot will both undertake a take-off and landing, I assumed it was limited to following flight paths (I prefer to do these things on my own).

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 02:25 PM
as long as you make it back to base alive you will pass the mission .. kills or no kills, staying in formation or not.. if you`re out of ammo, you`re useless.. so get out of there! /i/smilies/16x16_robot-tongue.gif

.... other then that.. my only advice is learn the complex engine management.. it will seriously give you an edge in dogfighting ..

.. and don`t use the auto-pilot to land that`s just wrong /i/smilies/16x16_robot-very-happy.gif

<center>Flanker-ProudBirds-VFW</center>
<center>http://www.escadrila54.com/logo_sm.jpg (http://proudbirdswing.tripod.com/proudbirds.htm)</center>

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 02:40 PM
The fuel gauge in the I-16 is in the bottom-center part of the instrument panel. IIRC, it's the right one in two rows of instruments in that part of the cockpit.

As for running out of ammo, you should usually go home if it's clear. If your squad is heading home though, it's usually safer to stay with them in case you get jumped.

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 03:58 PM
Are you sure you are running out of gas ? I ask because maybe you didn't know that if ya push the stick forward abruptly the engine will be starved of gas & cut out, you can now restart it with the "I " key.

http://idealab.snu.ac.kr/~hobbist/La-5FN/small/La-5FN-06.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Interesting point. I don't think it stalled, and I did try starting the plane again by pressing "I" several times. At last, waited too long to eject and died hitting the ground /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

With regards to the I-16 (so-called Russian donkey), while I am not ready to play around engine management, does this "simple" plane require/benefit from manual engine management. I must confess, I don't know much about the topic.

Right now, after spending far too much time tweaking with this game (purchased it just before all the patches), I need to start enjoying the game before diving into it even deeper. The learning curve has and will continue to be very steep for a while.

If I may ask, having read and searched out this topic, gameplay settings is still a bug for me (and probably newbies like me). We want a "realistic" but fun experience with our limited skill sets.

I play at the Normal settings with engine management off and plane and map icons on. I also enjoy external views of the beautiful scenary below. Read some threads that argue icons are not really "cheating" as the AI can see you much further then the limitations of a computer scene for the player.

Without entering into a "purists" debate, are there other newbies out there wishing to an authentic WWII experience, but find full realism too hard/no fun? What are some suggestions for a newbie/inter-mediate player?

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 05:36 PM
I'm not sure if you can restart the engine in air by pressing "I". Maybe they changed it with the patch. To find out, just go into quickmissionbuilder, fly an i16 and push the stick forward. Does it feel the same as when you "run out of gas"? Then try to start it again by pressing "I".

denbug

http://www.il2skins.com/skins/thumbs/4765.jpg

get it here: http://www.il2skins.com/?action=display&skinid=4778

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 07:43 PM
Yeah they fixed the engine so it doesn't cut out so easily & you can restart it in the air now. Much less frustrating
!

I-16s rule, got abandit on your 6 just whip thru a couple rolls & pull the ole' stick back in your stomach & then watch your pursuer banging his head against the dash, having a nervous breakdown because he can't even shoot down an "Obsolescent" fighter.

Hee Haw Hee Haw!

http://idealab.snu.ac.kr/~hobbist/La-5FN/small/La-5FN-06.jpg

XyZspineZyX
09-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Saburo_0 wrote:
- Yeah they fixed the engine so it doesn't cut out so
- easily & you can restart it in the air now. Much
- less frustrating
- !

In the latest patch I think they fixed the stick movements/control surfaces. Now moving the stick forward has a much smaller effect on the control surfaces than it used to have. A change that is quite reasonable if such a movement can cut out the engine, which is less likely now.

---------------
http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/stulogo-banner.jpg (http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/)

Kampagne für IL-2 1.2: I-16 - Kampf im Kaukasus (Deutsch) (http://home.arcor.de/rayluck/sturmovik/kampagne.html)

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 02:44 AM
Hello guys. Yes it stalled. The I-16 is really delicate in quick nose dives /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif I had to restart the engine 2-3 times in my last successful mission. Thanks for the help about the gas gauge; I didn't run out of fuel.

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 02:55 AM
Seeing as the I-16 has an open cockpit, if you forgot to belt up, you should come out if you dive or roll. Now that would be funny. How about a "no seatbelt" realism mode for the game, where you not only have to shoot down the enemy, but try not to bash your head on the canopy too much!

(just kidding) /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 03:38 AM
The first time I ever saw an I16 "Rata* was many (about 50) years ago in a book my uncle gave me called "The Aircraft Spotters Handbook" which I gather was standard issue to Civil Defense types of WW2. After looking at the smooth and lovely lines of such as the P38, Bf 109, Spitfire and such I did not have much love for the looks of the I16. That overly large cowl, stubby fuselage and wings.. it all seemed so un-lovely and archaic.

When I first saw it in Il2 I avoided it.... I wanted to start all campaigns in the LaGG3.In Final Battles, however, I finally bit the bullet and Learned about the I16.... and learned to fly it. I have flown it all through Lvov and Smolensk campaigns and part way through the Spanish Civil War. I grew fond of its strength and agility and simplicity. The climb rate, stall speed and ease of take off and landing were big pluses to my confidence.

Then I got transfered to Moscow and assigned a Mig3.

I probably should not get snarly about the Mig till I learn more about it... it is very fast in a dive and thats good, but I seem to shed an ungodly number of pieces parts on the pull out. The Mig seems well.... "mushy" and not at all responsive.

Perhaps I will grow to love it too... but, in the mean time I miss the I16.

Cheers

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 03:56 AM
Well, the MiG-3 is my favourite early war plane.

I can see how you could hate it after being transferred from an I-16 though. You need to have a different attitude to how you fight with it - until the 109G2 starts appearing, you can usually catch and escape from German fighters with speed alone. I usually fly a couple of hundred metres above a campaign furball, wing over and down onto a target, shoot him up and zoom up again. I use speed to escape anyone on my six, and let my wingmen take care of him. You also need to get used to giving your targets long bursts with the guns, short bursts don't cut it except with the ShVAK equipped version.

For my MiG-3UB Moscow campaign, I lost only 4 planes from my squadron, and collected around 25 personal kills, including 5 in one mission. (2 Ju88 with rockets and then 3 109s with guns)

XyZspineZyX
09-12-2003, 05:23 PM
Bnej,

You are correct, of course. My problems with the Mig 3 are derived from having too much confidence in my flying (derived from the intimacy with the I 16) and absolute lack of learning about or familiarizing myself with the Mig. There was time, Smolensk ended in Late August (as I remember) and Moscow starts in October. But naturally I jumped right in figuring that I could fly it and wound up shredding several in the pull out.

I have four early war campaigns going at once because I prefer to progress through the war in a chronologic manner. There are only a few planes that I have flown because I wanted the immersion factor of that progress/change to be somewhat accurate. There is even one of me still slugging it out in Spain and if the UV2 or Storch were flyable... that is where I would be... perhaps someday.

I think I will spend some time in QMB (or UQMB) and learn to fly the Mig. I am not, afterall, Ben Afflek who can easily go from P 40 to flying a B 25 off a carrier <snort>.

I should have remembered from "Grand Prix Legends"... the progression is from Formula Three to Formula Two and Then to Formula One. Otherwise I would spend alot of time flying off the track backwards and up side down.

Cheers

"I don't understand why people dislike Wagner so... he can't be as bad as he sounds."
Mark Twain