PDA

View Full Version : British Copilot On Right or Left?

dugong
03-05-2004, 09:59 PM
While reading a military aviation publication I happened across a cockpit shot of a British Avro Vulcan. Upon examining the photograph closely I noticed the control devices in the right seat - stick, knobs, etc. appeared to be worn much more than those on the left. So, the Brits drive on the other side of the road than us yanks along with the oppostite steering wheel, so looking at the photograph I began to wonder if they flew the same way as well?

That is assuming the the copilot in a US plane does sit on the right, which I believe they do?

Anyone know for sure?

dugong
03-05-2004, 09:59 PM
While reading a military aviation publication I happened across a cockpit shot of a British Avro Vulcan. Upon examining the photograph closely I noticed the control devices in the right seat - stick, knobs, etc. appeared to be worn much more than those on the left. So, the Brits drive on the other side of the road than us yanks along with the oppostite steering wheel, so looking at the photograph I began to wonder if they flew the same way as well?

That is assuming the the copilot in a US plane does sit on the right, which I believe they do?

Anyone know for sure?

Sturmovikker
03-06-2004, 03:09 AM
UK same as US, co on right (apart from helicopters of course). The controls are more well-used on the right hand side because the co generally does the flying while the captain monitors / reads approach plates / eats curry.

;-)