PDA

View Full Version : Alpha And Beta

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 03:59 AM
What is the difference between Alha and Beta when talking about games?

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 03:59 AM
What is the difference between Alha and Beta when talking about games?

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 04:14 AM
Alpha comes before Beta.

Yep /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-happy.gif

Alright, I think Alpha means it is "barely" working.

<table style="filter:glow[color=green, strength=5)"><FONT SIZE=6 FACE=VERDANA COLOR=YELLOW>Turtle</font></table>
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots"

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 04:14 AM
Alpha is very early in development, beta is further along in development. I don't know if there are specific criteria for distinguishing an alpha version from a beta version, or if it is solely to the discretion of how the developers guage the completion of their software.

UbiSoft/RSE Forum Moderator
ICQ [15950501]
pope@theheap.net

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 06:25 AM
Hey I'll explain a little.

Alfa is to test and see if the game can work with the engine and whatnot. Not stable.

Playtest is to test and see if the game is even appealing or if it need to work. A copy of the game that is more stable.

Beta is when you test and look for bugs and such. The most stable between the other two.

The real game. Is very stable and only fix problems that have not been found in alfa, playtest, or beta.

__________________________________________________ __

http://sanada.thexgamer.net/downloads/sanada/Banner.jpg

"Mess with the best, die like the rest"

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Then comes Patch 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4alpha, 2.0,2.01,2.21 and so on and so on......

<Center>
/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif This is why I use AMD /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
http://www3.telus.net/robert/idiot2.jpg

XyZspineZyX
07-16-2003, 07:36 AM
In software development there isn't a universal designation of alpha and beta but it's generally accepted that alpha comes from one of the first builds that achieve the full (or almost full) desired functionality of a software application, beta it's a (subsequent) build that also has been optimized and in-house tested that it's stable enough to be tested thoroughly and some times those tests are done externally. In short alpha builds goals are primarily functionality while beta' goals are essentially stabilization.
In game development the alpha and beta builds still are significant milestones in the development process while in other kinds of software projects those terms are becoming archaic.