PDA

View Full Version : How many of you prefer Club Competitions and Community Events the way they are?

Fatal-Feit
01-01-2015, 07:21 PM
1. I do. They give people an incentive to hop back onto the game months after. If people miss these timed exclusives, so be it. --It's just a game.

2. I don't. They are locking content for the sake of replay value. People shouldn't have to schedule their game time for when Ubisoft is ready to participate in an online social event for timed exclusives every week.

I want to see the ratio of players who actually do or don't enjoy these things. Discuss!

YazX_
01-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Well i did like Community Events and challenges in AC4 but dont like club competitions though.

Green_Reaper
01-01-2015, 09:10 PM
I think something like the way they're doing club competition could be counter productive to keeping players interested. No matter how you look at it, it's a chore that's even worse than traditional grinding for points and rewards, reason being that the way its done is way too tedious. Compare it to "traditional" grinding in games like rpgs, at least in those other games you are constantly getting something that counts towards progression and no matter what happens you have something in the end. In club competition, you grind for creed points, but if you lose in the end you don't get the grand prize, and it's basically a waste of time.

I don't think club competition is a bad idea, it's just the way they're doing it is terrible.

Farlander1991
01-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Honestly, I don't really mind these kind of things, as long as there is a backup plan/alternative.

Ultimately, a few pieces of gear aren't, you know, essential to the game, those are more like a neat bonus. But the thing is, that's content that you still bought, that the game shows and teases you with (so it's not like AC2 bonus skin, for example, that most people won't even know that it's somewhere in the game files), so it's important to have a backup/plan alternatives for when things like club competitions are going to stop.

For example, if somebody buys AC4 now, and then gets to look at 'community challenge required to unlock', they're kinda ****ed.

Aenigmatix
01-01-2015, 10:26 PM
You're not going to get an honest result among Unity's community with this poll here. Most of the people on these forums are going to be people who have problems, technical or otherwise, with Unity. People who are going to want to complain about or are already predisposed to disliking Unity. This poll might work better on the subreddit for Assassin's Creed. Just a suggestion ;)

hlchade
01-01-2015, 11:09 PM
I think that in their implemented form they are ... interesting concepts, but they both have serious flaws/drawbacks. As someone who plays the series for the single player, I consider the Community Events to be more innocuous than the Club Competitions, but I'm not particularly keen on either model as I find it difficult to not see it as gating off content. I concur with Farlander about the previous treatment of bonus items/alternative means.

(As an aside for Farlander: I read and enjoyed your critiques of mission structure in AC3 and have always enjoyed reading your suggestions and input about such things when you've written about them on the forums in the past when I was in complete lurkdom ... so, I guess I'd just like to thank you for the effort you put in to share your ideas.)

Neither have really provided incentive to hop back into the game for me. I take an awfully long time for a single play through as it is ... I doddle, I explore, I collect, I don't mind stealthing at the pace of molasses going up hill in winter on crutches, so when these events happen I'm usually still in the process of playing the game anyway.

I didn't mind doing the Community Events, for reasons I might list later, but Club Competitions ... I'm not a social person, I'm not a competitive person. I'm honestly finding it to be a disincentive. I don't like having to see the locked off content, or slim pickings in regards to higher level customizations, in my menu every time I play. Previously, single player felt like a complete experience, regardless of whether or not there was a multiplayer component available, and now ... it doesn't.

I understand the need to have some sort of reward for participating in these things, I really do, but at the same time if you're going to merge your single and multiplayer together into a single "seamless" experience, there has to be some better way to do this ... there has to.

In regards to replay value ... I just don't see it. It sounds like those participating in competitions are ultimately grinding out points. Which seems like a rather artificial way to draw out game play time. If that's something you enjoy, you know ... more power to you.

I'm going to spoiler tag my previously mentioned list of pros/cons purely for post length considerations, no actual spoilers:

---

Reasons I personally rate Community Events over Club Competitions:

+ Goals were things that were able to be accomplished in the open world. Kill some dudes, sink some ships, raid some warehouses ... all things that you could choose to do where ever you so pleased. You don't have to load into the same specific missions over and over again.

Even after reading about "Club Competitions" I'm not entirely sure if they are limited to certain missions, or if it's select missions that give bonus "creed points" (which, personal problem: is a term I can't get over disliking--it sounds so contrived). I still don't know if you have to play the co-op missions with others to participate.

+ As the names obviously imply, "community" events fostered widespread community. Competitions are ... well, competitions that don't encourage communities larger than 50.

On the old Initiates forum there were threads posted by users every week to announce that a new event had gone up, and to encourage participation. There were threads to post locations of whales/chests/convoys (and you didn't even need anyone on your friends list to "share" these to begin with). There were threads to befriend each other for fulfilling Abstergo challenges that involved Kenway's Fleet. It connected people without being overbearing.

+ As long as you contributed a relatively small amount, if the entire community succeeded in it's overall goal, you got awarded for it. If your club does not win, you get nothing, nada, see you next week and hope you're paired against a less successful group.

---

Things they are both bad with:

- As Community Events went on they had to, logically, reduce the requirements as there just wouldn't be the same amount of participation. Which was great for those trying to get those unlocks, however once reduced down to a certain amount it just highlights how absurd gating these items off was in the first place.

- Probably one of the most obvious: no long term plan for support of unlocking these items (for Black Flag, we'll see how Unity gets treated). Anyone picking up the game six months out from it's release were barred (for the foreseeable future) from participation/items due these events no longer running.

- Tying into that point, pulling support that early for one of their flagship franchises Ubisoft absolutely does not inspire any confidence as to the longevity of their other titles. Which is a shame.

- Online requirement to unlock stuff that is constantly displayed in your menu.

You're not going to get an honest result among Unity's community with this poll here. Most of the people on these forums are going to be people who have problems, technical or otherwise, with Unity. People who are going to want to complain about or are already predisposed to disliking Unity. This poll might work better on the subreddit for Assassin's Creed. Just a suggestion ;)

That's true, but to be fair, given that logic you're never going to get an "honest result" from any poll regarding the game. If you poll the fans on the internet, you're only going to get the opinions of those who use the internet. If you poll these forums you're only going to get the opinion of those who frequent here. If you poll on Reddit, you're only going to get the opinion of those on Reddit ... you see where I'm going here, I'm sure.

There are plenty of people who come here with complaints, but there are also a decent amount of people who come to discuss the game/series/lore/whatever--although that admittedly happens on the console side more. I don't see why Fatal-Feit wouldn't be particularly interested in the responses of people of this forum, considering this is where the thread was posted.

Aenigmatix
01-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Fair points. I was only suggesting that, given the heat Ubisoft is getting over all the bugs, these forums in particular are not the best place to find an accurate consensus. Of course there's no such thing as a "perfect" poll, but at least elsewhere you're less likely to find a predetermined bias.

strigoi1958
01-02-2015, 04:49 AM
regardless of the poll.... my problem is, I have found how to maximise points during the missions, it can take 30 minutes to 45 minutes :(. I play solo and play only the mission with double points.

In the beginning of the competition it is important to try to break the opposition my getting a healthy lead. I assume (IMHO) that many clubs with 50 members have a small nucleus of active members... and so on the first days I put in 12 to 14 hours each day.... repeating the same mission over and over and over.... it is like being a robot and the boredom is awful... but on day 1 we generated almost 1 million creed points by myself and a few of the other members popping in for an hour or two.

The competition is a chore with no real reward in the heists as it is money not points so I avoid them. The winning groups rely on either a large active group or a few people grinding out the same routine. The rewards are unlocking gear that is not a vast amount better than I have and as soon as it is unlocked I think people will be sick of the game.

Making STEALTH more rewarding might have changed all this but for me it is a daily dose of grind rinse repeat.

Erfivur
01-02-2015, 11:10 AM
It encourages joining random clubs with strangers as opposed to starting up smaller clubs with just friends which is surely what you'd want in a primarily single player game.
Winning nets you gear that you haven't needed for a month already at this point. Its only use is it aesthetically matches other gear you might have and once you've got it? Then what?
Losing nets you a big ol' bag of nuffin' and a slap to the face for wasting your time.

Seriously who thought that making a game who's multiplayer is supposed to be primarily co-op should be made competitive like this? We should be rewarded for doing things together, not for picking the right club.

Community events did a better job of keeping players playing in Black Flag as you could just casually achieve and unlock stuff just while doing the post-game mop-up sessions where you're doing all the side missions and collectibles.

I'd be surprised if most people don't just skip the whole thing, assuming they haven't already given up on the game already.
I'm honestly not sure if i'll bother myself tbh. I just got Rogue and it's already being more entertaining than grinding Unity could hope to be.

similarly
01-02-2015, 02:11 PM
I'm torn.

I like the club competitions, and honestly feel a desire to play in order to help my club.

However, I feel bad that ONLY the winners get ANY kind of reward when so MANY legendary items are locked.

I'd prefer a system that unlocked items for everyone who participated, rewarded people who earned the MOST creed points, as well as rewarded the winners of each div.

I'd like to see items unlocked for participants and free for winners.

NightmareGK13
01-02-2015, 03:43 PM
I'm torn.

I like the club competitions, and honestly feel a desire to play in order to help my club.

However, I feel bad that ONLY the winners get ANY kind of reward when so MANY legendary items are locked.

I'd prefer a system that unlocked items for everyone who participated, rewarded people who earned the MOST creed points, as well as rewarded the winners of each div.

agreed

NightmareGK13
01-02-2015, 03:44 PM
regardless of the poll.... my problem is, I have found how to maximise points during the missions, it can take 30 minutes to 45 minutes :(. I play solo and play only the mission with double points.

In the beginning of the competition it is important to try to break the opposition my getting a healthy lead. I assume (IMHO) that many clubs with 50 members have a small nucleus of active members... and so on the first days I put in 12 to 14 hours each day.... repeating the same mission over and over and over.... it is like being a robot and the boredom is awful... but on day 1 we generated almost 1 million creed points by myself and a few of the other members popping in for an hour or two.

The competition is a chore with no real reward in the heists as it is money not points so I avoid them. The winning groups rely on either a large active group or a few people grinding out the same routine. The rewards are unlocking gear that is not a vast amount better than I have and as soon as it is unlocked I think people will be sick of the game.

Making STEALTH more rewarding might have changed all this but for me it is a daily dose of grind rinse repeat.

you only walk alone when the rest of us are offline ;)

Fatal-Feit
01-02-2015, 07:56 PM
My biggest gripe with these things are that they lock content. It doesn't matter if they're useful or just cosmetics, they're still locked content that will forever be gone once the developers stop supporting the game. If someone where to pick up Black Flag right now, there is no hope for completing the entire game. He can't get the Explorer Outfit (my fav).

I know I've complained about it many, many times before, but I will keep doing it until it's addressed. What happens when Unity is no longer supported? That's about 20 Legendary equipment that will no longer be available! That's a DLC worth of stuff!

TR.Misterscruff
01-02-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm torn.

Couldn't agree more.

Green_Reaper
01-02-2015, 11:40 PM
I want them to just release a patch that unlocks all equipment. For club comp. rewards, just award boosts and livres. That way when club comp. stops in the future, everyone can still be happy and get what they want. Simple as that. They could do it.

strigoi1958
01-03-2015, 12:21 AM
I'm torn.

All people playing in the competition should get something unlocked just for taking part, provided they reach a pre-set marker.... (for example, earn their club 250,000 creed points).
That way if they want something they can put in an hour a day for 5 days and earn it without having to push for the win.
I do not know if it is just the winners who get multipliers but if that is the case then.... it is even harder for other teams because the have to put in more game time to match the winners. Because of the multiplier I can make almost 10000 creed points just defending Danton at the beginning of the Austrian Conspiracy....

Also the competition is Anti- co-op. because 2 people playing a mission together and getting the maximum bonus double kills could earn 75,000 while 2 playing the same mission solo would earn 50,000 each so playing together is counter productive in an effort to win. the important thing for teams is to get 60 heists and 60 missions using 4 players to get the multiplier then all play solo to get the points.

machine4578
01-03-2015, 04:27 PM
Well i did like Community Events and challenges in AC4 but dont like club competitions though.

same here, i was playing for myself.. and it solely depended on me if i was able to unlock my gear.. now i have to rely on team members and hope i come in first place since there is no other way to unlock.

@ubi
PLEASE bring back Community Challenges like AC4 or allow us to buy the gear if we dont come in first place.. better yet, just give us the gear!

Aenigmatix
01-03-2015, 04:50 PM
I'd be okay with some minor changes to Club Competitions. I think it would be fair to give 2nd place teams something, but I don't know what. Other non-legendary equipment? Unlocking artifacts in the rifts instead of the companion app? I dunno.

But I'm definitely against making the legendary gear available for purchase.

What Club Comps need more than anything though are new missions.

YazX_
01-03-2015, 09:50 PM
same here, i was playing for myself.. and it solely depended on me if i was able to unlock my gear.. now i have to rely on team members and hope i come in first place since there is no other way to unlock.

@ubi
PLEASE bring back Community Challenges like AC4 or allow us to buy the gear if we dont come in first place.. better yet, just give us the gear!

and to add, to be honest, AC4 com events and challenges were more fun by far, when Ubisoft started these events, i was done with AC4 but used to login and participate, they are really fun to do, but for those club challenges, i dont feel like participating nor playing the game for that purpose only.