PDA

View Full Version : Does a gaming feature have to make sense in the story?

king-hailz
12-29-2014, 07:20 PM
I was just thinking about AC and games in general and was thinking nowadays, does every gaming feature have to have a reason in the story. For example if we were an assassin who could shoot a phantom blade and control it while its in the air to control where it goes, does it have to be justified in the story how we can do that? It's a really random question that has been bugging me! So does it have to have a reason or is it okay just to have it there for giggles?

Hans684
12-29-2014, 07:35 PM
For that ability to be possible we would need a trigger for a slow-mo ability, so that would require a story reason. They don't need to make a major deal out of it but at least drop an explanation somewhere.

RinoTheBouncer
12-29-2014, 08:19 PM
To a large extent, yes.

In a game like AC which is heavily story driven and always tries very hard to be historically accurate, then it shouldn’t be coming out of ideas that have nothing to do with the period nor the setting nor the logic of the story. They might shove in a Piece of Eden for example that lets you freeze time and do what you want and then continue, then maybe you can change the direction of an arrow or a bullet while it’s in mid-air. But to just give a feature out of nowhere and justify it by “Animus Hack” that would be ridiculous, because why this and not invincibility? why this and not flying? If we can hack and disguise as someone standing next to me, then why can’t I fly for example?

So I believe, yes. Most if not all gameplay features need to have some significance and to walk by the logic of the world it is set it.

aL_____eX
12-29-2014, 08:22 PM
I think every feature has to be a small partof the story but only for tutorial purposes (especially with new weapons like the phantom blade).

RADAR__4077
12-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Couldn't be any worse than shape shifting...

STDlyMcStudpants
12-29-2014, 08:49 PM
You mean you want a batarang?

king-hailz
12-30-2014, 12:14 AM
You mean you want a batarang?

Well yeah... but I was just giving an example... I don't really want that feature just wanted to know if in games there needs to be an explanation for every feature or can it be there just to make the game play fun?

STDlyMcStudpants
12-30-2014, 03:46 AM
Well yeah... but I was just giving an example... I don't really want that feature just wanted to know if in games there needs to be an explanation for every feature or can it be there just to make the game play fun?

well saints row is an example of no and arkham is an example of yes.. which do you prefer?
I'd honestly prefer if AC went the opposite direction and started to take the gadgets out and make assassins creed an experience again rather than just a game....
Im sick of shooting lol

SlyTrooper
12-30-2014, 04:08 AM
The answer is yes. And that's probably why I'm more interested in games like Dishonored & Shadow of Mordor. They're not limited by real-world physics because they incorporate supernatural elements.

GoldenBoy9999
12-30-2014, 04:23 AM
There's already one that doesn't have a reason. The disguise ability. It makes no sense in the context of the game, and classifying it as an animus hack doesn't fix anything.

But yeah, I like everything to have story explanations. Wait a sec, Sunset Overdrive is my GOTY...:rolleyes:

LoyalACFan
12-30-2014, 11:15 AM
If the game is story-based at all, then yes, absolutely. Consistent in-game "rules" are a HUGE part of what makes a good gaming experience, and if you just flagrantly break the rules of your in-game universe with one of your mechanics, then you're pissing all over that. That's the reason the disguise ability is so hated; you're supposed to be playing as a normal, human assassin infiltrating a location to access your target, and all of a sudden you can magically shapeshift into a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT PERSON? The hell? It makes no sense even with the paper-thin and incredibly lazy) excuse of "hurr, itz da Animus."

That said, not every gameplay mechanic needs to be 100% realistic to the in-game physics. Example- bullet time. It's meant to be a representation of the character's skill or focus, and we can buy that without thinking that they're actually slowing down time.