PDA

View Full Version : Why the Club Competition system doesn't work!

aL_____eX
12-29-2014, 06:37 PM
So since the next Club competition recently started I had some thoughts on why the whole club competition system does not work and isn’t fair at all.

We came 2nd in the last competition and it was a tough race till the end. We lost and got nothing out of it which is okay. BUT the team that came first is again in the same division now. That’s where I start to believe the whole system isn’t fair for clubs who are willling to come first and doing everything for it, but there is one contender in their division who will always be better because of more people, more time or whatever. Now to my point - let’s say we finished the competition with 1,000,000 points which is quite good but still didn’t get any reward from it. Now there are also divisions where the first team maybe has 500,000 points, they win and get the reward, even if they weren’t as good as other teams in other divisions (who didn't win because of better competitors) but just lucky to be in the 'right' division.

Now where is the point in becoming 2nd? If my team realizes after like 3 days that there’s no chance to win, we can actually stop playing because if we’re second in the end, we’re still moving on to a higher division which drastically reduces the chance to win again.

I hope it becomes clear somehow what my problem really is… if there is one team you know you can’t beat, it’s best to not end 2nd because that’s a burden for future competitions.

Sorry if some of my thoughts may sound confusing here, I wrote this in a hurry because I’m quite upset about the situation… maybe I’m missing something important and someone has some explanations on why it's still fair.

rrebe
12-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Doesn't seem very fair to me :eek:
What's the point of wasting time and energy for something that you have no possibility to get?

My_Treehawk
12-29-2014, 07:20 PM
So since the next Club competition recently started I had some thoughts on why the whole club competition system does not work and isn’t fair at all.

We came 2nd in the last competition and it was a tough race till the end. We lost and got nothing out of it which is okay. BUT the team that came first is again in the same division now. That’s where I start to believe the whole system isn’t fair for clubs who are willling to come first and doing everything for it, but there is one contender in their division who will always be better because of more people, more time or whatever. Now to my point - let’s say we finished the competition with 1,000,000 points which is quite good but still didn’t get any reward from it. Now there are also divisions where the first team maybe has 500,000 points, they win and get the reward, even if they weren’t as good as other teams in other divisions (who didn't win because of better competitors) but just lucky to be in the 'right' division.

Now where is the point in becoming 2nd? If my team realizes after like 3 days that there’s no chance to win, we can actually stop playing because if we’re second in the end, we’re still moving on to a higher division which drastically reduces the chance to win again.

I hope it becomes clear somehow what my problem really is… if there is one team you know you can’t beat, it’s best to not end 2nd because that’s a burden for future competitions.

Sorry if some of my thoughts may sound confusing here, I wrote this in a hurry because I’m quite upset about the situation… maybe I’m missing something important and someone has some explanations on why it's still fair.

Hey Daniela - feels like the old ACBF Initiates days being here talking to you again ; )

We have had some concerns as well over at Vociferous Unity (http://vociferousunity.guildlaunch.com)- so we are thinking pretty much along the same path and with little to no real communication coming down from upstairs on how all of this is going to work we are getting really concerned. My officers and I have had to defend the competitions and their manner of releasing gear to the point that I am starting to feel more like a politician rather than a player, especially since I know so little, and am guessing way more about the answers I am giving than I know to be fact.

Besides what you are mentioning, and of which I think you have a valid point, one other, or even a somewhat parallel issue with this that we have is that the points based system is begging for clubs to sandbag scores to stay in lower divisions until the gear they want is made available or until they see that they have a chance of winning that weeks and rally in the final day. The second problem is the time and number of club competitions that will need to be won to unlock all the gear and the burnout of playing that will happen in between.

If it were a WIN to advance system regardless of points, or if the points to advance were based on 1st, 2nd and 3rd place wins (with each bestowing a respective amount of merit towards advancing) then it would probably work. Adding to this is also the vague "even better rewards" comment for Silver and Gold divisions. We are in Silver and as far as I can see there is no "better" part to the reward as yet.

As far as unlocking gear goes - if they opened up more chances to get gear it would help a lot too - whether that means that Bronze wins unlocks 1 piece, SIlver 2 and Gold 3 pieces (better rewards eh!) or that some other method of justifying the division levels and what is being given out it would help a lot to keep people motivated. We even thought that maybe the divisions would provide gear for 2nd place (silver) and 2-3rd Place (gold) finishes at the upper divisions, but there is no way to know if this is true - if it would at least it would address your concern and at least one of our own.

Unfortunately, until someone comes on and gives us some official answers, or provides us with more to go on than we have there is no way of knowing what is really going to happen, and where we can expect this to go. This is sad, since the competitions was really the only thing holding many players on the game that have already completed most of the material.

And like you this was written in a rush as I am also trying to answer questions pouring in from our club members at the same time. So I apologize if I am not my usual clear and concise (if not as always rather verbose) self with this one.

Okapi_23
12-29-2014, 07:31 PM
Yes there is a lot of problems with the way Club Competitions are handle right now.

beastrock18
12-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Yeah, just wanted to chime in and say that I completely agree that the club comps are being completely mishandled. There is way too much randomness involved, in terms of what clubs you are pitted against and in terms of what the gear reward is.

Also, add in the fact that there is only one item rewarded per win and the fact that there is no other way to get that gear (and the fact that there is SO MUCH gear locked behind the comps), and the situation is just really bad all around.

Finally, the comps themselves are just not very fun in practice. Creed points can be farmed really easily (even when playing by yourself) and rewarding the teams that put the most effort into boring farming is just tedious in the extreme. Definitely not going to defend Ubi here until some other way of obtaining the gear is provided.

aL_____eX
12-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Besides what you are mentioning, and of which I think you have a valid point, one other, or even a somewhat parallel issue with this that we have is that the points based system is begging for clubs to sandbag scores to stay in lower divisions until the gear they want is made available or until they see that they have a chance of winning that weeks and rally in the final day. The second problem is the time and number of club competitions that will need to be won to unlock all the gear and the burnout of playing that will happen in between.
THAT'S my main point of criticism! Thanks for making it clear! :) And I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who isn't happy with the way the best (!) gear in the game is handled.

It's good to see some familiar Initiates faces every now and then. :)

My_Treehawk
12-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Yes, I thought that was what you were saying.

I seriously feel like I am putting our fires and trying to reassure members when no one from UbiSoft is giving us any real knowledge of how this will work or answers to the questions we have.

I'll keep looking around here and the live updates and hope that one of them comes on and enlightens us with where this is going to end up and how it is really working, all these vague answers are not helping us at all and I do not understand the reason for them not to provide clear and timely answers.

RADAR__4077
12-29-2014, 08:27 PM
Yes, I thought that was what you were saying.

I seriously feel like I am putting our fires and trying to reassure members when no one from UbiSoft is giving us any real knowledge of how this will work or answers to the questions we have.

I'll keep looking around here and the live updates and hope that one of them comes on and enlightens us with where this is going to end up and how it is really working, all these vague answers are not helping us at all and I do not understand the reason for them not to provide clear and timely answers.

I hate to be so negative but I think it's because they don't have any answers. It looks like they didn't think this through and now they are either in a panic trying to figure out what to do, or they just don't care enough to say anything.

The first step to finding a solution is to admit there is a problem. Ubisoft hasn't done that yet. This forced community crap doesn't make the game any more fun. Assassin's creed has been so successful because the STORY made us want to know what happens next. Right now the story is mid ocean without a compass. They need to focus less on online features both in game and apps and websites and more on the story telling that made assassin's creed successful.

aL_____eX
12-29-2014, 08:30 PM
I hate to be so negative but I think it's because they don't have any answers. It looks like they didn't think this through and now they are either in a panic trying to figure out what to do, or they just don't care enough to say anything.

The first step to finding a solution is to admit there is a problem. Ubisoft hasn't done that yet. This forced community crap doesn't make the game any more fun. Assassin's creed has been so successful because the STORY made us want to know what happens next. Right now the story is mid ocean without a compass. They need to focus less on online features both in game and apps and websites and more on the story telling that made assassin's creed successful.
https://38.media.tumblr.com/147baaa676db14feaabfd12f24db0aac/tumblr_mwt1xuenZH1rlb6iho1_400.gif

truth has been spoken

My_Treehawk
12-29-2014, 08:35 PM
Right now the story is mid ocean without a compass. They need to focus less on online features both in game and apps and websites and more on the story telling that made assassin's creed successful.

WOW Radar - normally you and I do not always seem to see eye to eye (yeah I know, but...) however when I read that I could do nothing but shake my head in agreement. I yearn for the old days of the captivating story, the sometimes causing us to question our own history for the one that they were telling us days. To see the game moving forward into what has been the ways and means of so many other companies makes me sad for the series. I think that they could have retained so much of what they had going for them and introduced just a little less "new" and been miles ahead of everyone else. Instead we are in what feels more like a beta, with little feedback, than in one of the greatest games on the market.

But back to the point - if they are not going to clarify what is planned, how the competitions are going to work and what the mysterious rewards system will be all we are going to see is more people like myself trying to keep people faithful and playing without anything to actually tell them.

Rafe Harwood
12-29-2014, 09:44 PM
The problem is the inclusion 'at all'.

This stuff should not be part of the main game, this is all 'multiplayer' stuff and as such, things alot of us don't give a fig about or want anything to do with... yet, it's part of the core game.

They really dropped the darn ball by making it beyond mega-competitive and those of us who don't like mp will never have the chance to get all the things in our single player games.

My_Treehawk
12-29-2014, 10:05 PM
We can only wonder at why they did what they chose to do, it certainly does not look like it was what the fan based wanted. I for one will never make the 100% completion, a first for the series due to the need to run the companion app to achieve it - to say I am disappointed is an understatement. I liked that in the previous games the only things that were linked outside the game were optional - like the stuff from the Initiates site, or the add-on awards and trophies with the multi-player aspect of that one, but even there I could get my completion alone and perform as much or as little as I wanted with the extra stuff.

It still comes down to communication though - which I feel has been more vague and happening less than in the past. Maybe I am just used to them being more in-contact, more open about what was going on and where we were headed. Or perhaps I remember things far better than they were - I am getting old and memories do get blurred with age ;)

So hopefully, and to bring this back to the beginning - come on Mr_Shade, Escoblades, someone...? How about enlightening us, how about a live update that clarifies some of the details, that explains how this is really going to work and what we can expect with the divisions, the awards and the long-term goals. There is no need for a mystery here and it only makes some of the players think that something is not really right, or ready and we are being kept in the dark for lack of a solid notion of how this will work on your part -show us that someone over there can share this important and need to know information with your players and fans.

TO_M
12-29-2014, 10:08 PM
The whole club competition set-up is just terrible.
Like other people stated the club competition system itself isn't really fair and requires a lot of input (depending on how active your division is)

And the reards aren't nearly worth the input required.
My club was first in the last competition and thus I got the sans-culottes coat but the meagre stat increase isn't really worth it, and even if the stat increase was very big what use does it have? Since it's taken so damn long to get this club thing up and running most of the people will have finished the content that is available,
It can be used for co-op ofcourse since that is the most replayable with friends/etc but by the time that someone has completed a set of of the legendary items they wanted, this would take at least 5/6/7 weeks depending on which items are granted to the winners and because co-op is the place where most creed points can be earned people will probably be really sick of it after playing it so many times for the creed points.

So in short, just count your losses Ubi and change the damned thing.

My_Treehawk
12-29-2014, 10:15 PM
The whole club competition set-up is just terrible.
Like other people stated the club competition system itself isn't really fair and requires a lot of input (depending on how active your division is)

And the reards aren't nearly worth the input required.
My club was first in the last competition and thus I got the sans-culottes coat but the meagre stat increase isn't really worth it, and even if the stat increase was very big what use does it have? Since it's taken so damn long to get this club thing up and running most of the people will have finished the content that is available,
It can be used for co-op ofcourse since that is the most replayable with friends/etc but by the time that someone has completed a set of of the legendary items they wanted, this would take at least 5/6/7 weeks depending on which items are granted to the winners and because co-op is the place where most creed points can be earned people will probably be really sick of it after playing it so many times for the creed points.

So in short, just count your losses Ubi and change the damned thing.

This is the burn-out versus time to achieve rewards that I was talking about and from which I am already trying to defend the entire competition idea even within the 64 members of our club. What you are saying is what is being shouted from the rafters over here and the handful of us trying to calm everyone down is getting lost in this storm of sentiment.

We have members saying that they wish they would drop the gear from the awards and make them purchasable with helix points, and that the competitions should award those helix points based on two levels, 1st by division and then by place once the week is over. I am starting to agree with many of them as it allows each person to decide what they will spend the award on, and secondly, if that was all it would take to keep them happy and playing, then why not.?.

Okapi_23
12-29-2014, 10:20 PM
And to think I hated the community challenges in ACIV... Well I wish we had something similar now. :S

SHADOWGARVIN
12-29-2014, 10:31 PM
The whole launch of the club competition was horrible. I didn't even know it started because the dutch AC site hasn't been updated for over a month. Plus, since i was on vacation i wasn't able to play ACU at all. When i got home i received a message stating that my club had won, but i didn't unlock anything. Turns out there is some requirement to get a certain amount of points, but like i said before the dutch website didn't contain any news about the club competition. If i had known i could have asked my brother to make sure i earned enough creed points. I hope that the item that was unlocked will be available in the future, otherwise i won't be able to get it at all.

My_Treehawk
12-29-2014, 10:35 PM
The whole launch of the club competition was horrible. I didn't even know it started because the dutch AC site hasn't been updated for over a month. Plus, since i was on vacation i wasn't able to play ACU at all. When i got home i received a message stating that my club had won, but i didn't unlock anything. Turns out there is some requirement to get a certain amount of points, but like i said before the dutch website didn't contain any news about the club competition. If i had known i could have asked my brother to make sure i earned enough creed points. I hope that the item that was unlocked will be available in the future, otherwise i won't be able to get it at all.

It is not just where you are, we are now hours into week 2 and nothing has been posted, nothing has been said about it. No announcement from the end of week 1, no notice that week 2 had begun (except a vague "watch for news" reply from Mr_Shade early this morning) or where the whole thing is going. We really do not understand why they are being so silent about what should be all over the live updates pages.

SHADOWGARVIN
12-29-2014, 11:05 PM
It is not just where you are, we are now hours into week 2 and nothing has been posted, nothing has been said about it. No announcement from the end of week 1, no notice that week 2 had begun (except a vague "watch for news" reply from Mr_Shade early this morning) or where the whole thing is going. We really do not understand why they are being so silent about what should be all over the live updates pages.

It's almost midnight here. The first day has almost ended.