PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion of AC rouge after finishing the game? (Spoilers)

SaintHedgehog
12-28-2014, 09:20 AM
Personally, I feel empty. Not because of the game, because of helping the Templar and their ideological of "Order and Peace" which in my opinion just mean "Dictatorship and serve".

Journey95
12-28-2014, 03:12 PM
I loved the idea of playing as a templar especially after AC3 in which they were portrayed a lot better and not like typical bad guys
but Shay kind of disappointed me I wanted to play as someone who really believed in the order (like Haytham) not just joined them because his former friends pissed him off
his transition from assassin to templar didn't feel real..

hopefully we will get another templar game in the future with a better protagonist!

phoenix-force411
12-28-2014, 03:31 PM
Both of the Templars and the Assassins want to achieve peace, but their methods differ from one another along with their idea of what peace is. The Ezio Trilogy only showed things in black and white whereas AC1, ACIII, and AC Rogue, showed grey.

The Templar Order is always changing along with the Assassins, but the Assassins seem to stick by their motto throughout the centuries. The intentions of the present differ with the future and the past Templar Orders. Whoever commands the Order, gives direction to what is to be achieved but they all work towards one goal only. The Templars use and/or induct those who have shown their resourcefulness and contributions to the Order just like how Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin were merely puppets to the them. They will use others to further their cause regardless of who suffers.

You may view the Templars as evil-doers, but they are cunning and show great conviction. Like Haytham said, they do not require a creed or such but only that the world be as it is which is why the Templars will never be destroyed. He is, in fact, very true.

RADAR__4077
12-28-2014, 04:43 PM
I loved the idea of playing as a templar especially after AC3 in which they were portrayed a lot better and not like typical bad guys
but Shay kind of disappointed me I wanted to play as someone who really believed in the order (like Haytham) not just joined them because his former friends pissed him off
his transition from assassin to templar didn't feel real..

hopefully we will get another templar game in the future with a better protagonist!

I actually disagree. I do wish the story was longer, but I enjoyed it more than unity.

Shay was relatable to me. He was strong willed and didn't blindly follow orders. When he saw that the assassins' quest put thousands of lives at risk, he gave up everything to stop them.
Then he spent time trying to make up for the death and destruction he accidentally caused by letting his survival remain a secret and doing what he could to help people and stop criminals. The Templars found him and portrayed the order as a sort of secret peace keeper. Then gradually over time, his loyalty to the order grows as he sees them as a means to stop the assassins.
Shay is still haunted by guilt, but he becomes a cold blooded killer without even realizing it.
I remember getting close to the end of the game and thinking, "holy **** he changed so slowly that I barely noticed until I replayed one of the early levels!"

I just wish the story lasted longer, and that all of the story material wasn't wasted in unity.

natureboyAC
12-28-2014, 06:50 PM
I finished it yesterday, and I really liked the story.
Definitely wish it was longer though. I think they could've given us more story missions documenting Shay's transformation from Assassin to Templar. It seemed weird to be booted from the Assassin order, then take over a gang hideout and start immediately buddying up to Monro.

I truly enjoy it when there is more of a gray area between both sides. The original AC, AC3, AC4 and Rogue (don't have PS4, haven't played Unity yet), all showed that. The Ezio games seemed to be more black and white with the Assassin's being "good" and the Templar's being "bad". The further we get from those games, that becomes one of my few complaints about them.

Essentially I see the Templar v Assassin struggle as a order vs chaos one. I'm still not entirely sure which I favor personally and there is pros and cons to each.

My gripes about Rogue were the following:
-Story was way too short.
-Achilles seemed to be somewhat less of a leader than I hoped, I just wish there was more character development there.
-Haytham seemed less likeable than in AC3 to me.
-I thought the final precursor site mission could've been a little more epic. I'm thinking more along the lines of the Lisbon earthquake free-running escape in ice. Although then again I thought the Charles Lee chase in AC3 through the shipyard was annoying so maybe I'm saying the final mission has to be absolutely perfect. In which case, I'm a fan the developers would think is a pain in the @ss. But I really liked the fairly epic last missions of AC, AC2 and Revelations. I thought AC4's was a little short which is my only true gripe on that game.
-I wasn't a big fan of how Berg tacitly threatens you at the end either. If the Templars are supposed to be more of a gray area, that move in the end solidified the idea that they are the "bad guys". That and the editing of Shay's memories to use as Templar propaganda.

What I liked:
Shay was a strong, likeable and for a large part, a conflicted character.
No Eavesdrop missions.
Loved the expansion of stalkers.
The air rifle.
I feel like they really improved NYC, which seems silly since it doesn't seem that different from AC3.
It's essentially Black Flag part deux, and tied up a lot of loose ends in the colonies between Black Flag and AC3. I'll just admit now that Black Flag was my favorite game in the series. I like tall ships, loved the naval gameplay and the golden age of piracy is one of my favorite historical time frames, so I'm admittedly really biased there.

JustPlainQuirky
12-28-2014, 08:17 PM
I friggin loved it.

One of my fav AC stories. Tied with AC3 or a little less.

Stale gameplay and empty overworld tho.

So it deserved the 6.8 scores tbh.

Megas_Doux
12-28-2014, 10:23 PM
For a game that just should NOT exist - being an expansion, of an expansion- I find it ok;

1 The story is ok as well, a little bit overrated in these forums if you ask me.
2 The gameplay is the same of AC IV, but on a WAY duller setting. Which by the way, I expect Ubi to keep their promise and not release anymore games for the "kenway saga". Enough of the XVIII century and ENOUGH of colonial North America ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

wvstolzing
12-28-2014, 10:29 PM
I'll be that person:

It was red all over, wasn't it? :rolleyes:

(I found the story to be ridiculously bad.)

Hans684
12-28-2014, 11:31 PM
Better than Unity's story, it was at least relevant and wasn't a waste. Unity is just ridiculous, it has good points and concepts but fail. Unity's story has no reason to exist, it did nothing to bring the story further. The game even say we didn't need to relive Arno's memories.

Namikaze_17
12-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Not amazing in terms of gameplay & story, but I liked it overall....

I agree with Mega that it is kinda overrated here. ^__^

JustPlainQuirky
12-28-2014, 11:42 PM
Probably due to the fact it's a masterpiece in comparison to Unity.

Stand next to an ugly person and you automatically look 1000% times more attractive.

Namikaze_17
12-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Probably due to the fact it's a masterpiece in comparison to Unity.

Stand next to an ugly person and you automatically look 1000% times more attractive.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Dwight-Schrute-Thats-Very-True.gif

Eduard413
12-29-2014, 03:01 AM
Actually I enjoyed the game much more than Unity
- great, interesting story with no plot holes (really, I didn't find any plot holes, everything was great - even Shay being betrayed and becoming templar was done excellent and it made sense)
- characters from AC3 that weren't just easter eggs - and it ends the American Trilogy very well (Haytham, Achilles, William Johnson, Benjamin Franklin) and Adewale from AC4 + the
ending that tied the game with Unity was great too
- modern day gameplay sequel to Black Flag (well yeah it doesn't have a strong progression like Desmond saga, but actually I liked that we were playing as the same faceless dude from AC4,
we got some nice new info from the present like what happened to Olivier... and also the Assassin Hunting Team leaded by Otso Berg was nice too - the ending where they give you an offer of
accepting templar order was nice too)
- map was really big, I think it was even slightly bigger than map of AC4 - but I really loved the North Atlantic and the River Valley, for me, map is even better than in AC Unity
- like every previous games in the series - Pieces of Eden / Those Who Came Before played a huge role in the story (AC Unity didn't have any of this)
- side content was more fun than in AC Unity (AC unity side content is not very good - It should only have the COOP missions, Nostradamus Glyphs, Investigations... all other side missions in AC Unity are not interesting and really booooooooring, and also, why the hell, side content is much more longer than the campaign story in Unity?)
and I also think, Graphics weren't like in Unity, but it still looked beautiful on my XBOX360
only one problem I have with AC Rogue - Story is really short

mikeyf1999
12-29-2014, 03:27 AM
we got some nice new info from the present like what happened to Olivier...
What happened to him?

Altair1789
12-29-2014, 05:30 AM
What happened to him?

He got a taste of "the real world" or something like that then went missing

wvstolzing
12-29-2014, 06:07 AM

Wasn't he killed by the watchdogs guy?

Monochromeblade
12-29-2014, 06:10 AM

Yeah that tends to happen to people who don't pay their child support...

Namikaze_17
12-29-2014, 06:14 AM
The window that Shay jumps through breaking his bond with the Assassins, is also the same window Achilles first meets Connor.

I loved that detail. ^^

SaintHedgehog
12-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Also, what happen to your outside Animus character in AC4: Black Flag?

RuNfAtBoYrUn740
12-29-2014, 11:19 AM
I'd give the game a 6/10.

The story is decent but way overrated. The premise is cool but it's not the greatest thing to ever happen in AC like some people claim it to be. The voice acting was the worst in the series and it was way too short. Hell AC2 may have been three times its length. The story was decent, but overrated, especially when games like AC2, DAI and TLOU exist.

The gameplay was decent but a complete copy+paste of AC4. No innovation.
The North Atlantic was pretty cool but not amazing, and the other two zones were a complete borefest for me.

In general this game was DLC disguised as a full game. No doubt about it. Even the tunes from the older games soundtrack are re-used here. It wasn't bad but to pretend this game is better than a 7/10 requires some pretty heavy justification in my opinion.

GunnerGalactico
12-29-2014, 11:27 AM

The story is decent but way overrated. The premise is cool but it's not the greatest thing to ever happen in AC like some people claim it to be. The voice acting was the worst in the series and it was way too short. Hell AC2 may have been three times its length. The story was decent, but overrated, especially when games like AC2, DAI and TLOU exist.

The North Atlantic was pretty cool but not amazing, and the other two zones were a complete borefest for me.

In general this game was DLC disguised as a full game. No doubt about it. Even the tunes from the older games soundtrack are re-used here. It wasn't bad but to pretend this game is better than a 7/10 requires some pretty heavy justification in my opinion.

^ That's basically my opinion of the game. On the plus side, I give it props for not using the revenge plot.

Mike111690
12-29-2014, 11:30 AM
Loved the characters, story, and gameplay (I don't really care if it's a re skin of Black Flag because that was my favorite game in the entire series gameplay wise). The story though was easily its strongest aspect and it was definitely a great story. Definitely up there with Black Flag and Assassin's Creed 2 for the best game in the AC Franchise for me.

JustPlainQuirky
12-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Voice acting was wonky at times but nothing beats liberation's terribad voice acting

Namikaze_17
12-29-2014, 12:12 PM
Voice acting was wonky at times but nothing beats liberation's terribad voice acting

Gibberish > Liberation's Voice acting

:rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
12-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Liberation's Voice acting > the dirt > the nazi party > SJWs > garbage > toilets > Unity's plot

Journey95
12-29-2014, 04:47 PM

agreed the story of Rogue is overrated probably because its the first complete game where we play as a templar
the voice acting was bad and some lines like ("I make my own luck") sucked
Shays transition from Assassin to Templar didn't feel real probably because the story was rushed

Rogue should have been the only title this year but then of course they had to actually put some effort in the game and not rehash everything
it may be the first templar game but Ubisoft didn't seem to care at all just like Liberation which had the first female protagonist
both wasted opportunities instead they go with ezio clone nr55 Arno!

Kaschra
12-29-2014, 05:19 PM
The story was decent, but overrated, especially when games like AC2, DAI and TLOU exist.

AC2?
AC2 is the epitome of an overrated story
Most overrated story in the AC franchise. It's pretty flat, black and white with terrible antagonists, and not really well executed either.

killzab
12-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Liberation's Voice acting > the dirt > the nazi party > SJWs > garbage > toilets > Unity's plot

What's so bad about it ? the accents ?

xryanx28
12-29-2014, 06:37 PM
I could hear Adewale's voice in random NPCs. He didn't even try to change his accent :confused:

Megas_Doux
12-29-2014, 07:29 PM
What's so bad about it ? the accents ?

Nothing is worse than "italian" accents in Ezio´s trilogy. I´m glad we did not have french counterparts in Unity.

About Unity´s story is just meh, that is the best way I can describe it. The actors are good and such, but the overall plot is not good.

killzab
12-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Nothing is worse than "italian" accents in Ezio´s trilogy. I´m glad we did not have french counterparts in Unity.

About Unity´s story is just meh, that is the best way I can describe it. The actors are good and such, but the overall plot is not good.

Just play Dragon Age Inquisition if you want the french equivalent of the bad italian accents in the Ezio trilogy.

wvstolzing
12-29-2014, 11:02 PM
The German voiceover for Gerald was hilarious in ACL, but the rest was fine.

Whoever voiced Christopher Gist in ACRo in English was either trolling, and sabotaging the project on purpose, or he's a total amateur.