PDA

View Full Version : Is FB that much better than IL2?

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 12:29 AM
I know you must have answered a thousand questions like this but for a casual player is it worth getting over IL2?

I used to have IL2 when it first came out, then was computer-less now I am wondering whether FB is worth the extra money? (IL2 is out on budget range now).

I prefer ground attack missions to air-air and I know that FB features playable bombers, is ths correct?

Any help welcomed, thanks.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 12:29 AM
I know you must have answered a thousand questions like this but for a casual player is it worth getting over IL2?

I used to have IL2 when it first came out, then was computer-less now I am wondering whether FB is worth the extra money? (IL2 is out on budget range now).

I prefer ground attack missions to air-air and I know that FB features playable bombers, is ths correct?

Any help welcomed, thanks.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 03:55 AM
Yes and Yes.....it will be the best $29 you ever spent.

<CENTER>http://www.world-wide-net.com/tuskegeeairmen/ta-1943.jpg <marquee><FONT COLOR="RED"><FONT SIZE="+1">"Straighten up.......Fly right..~S~"<FONT SIZE> </marquee> http://www.geocities.com/rt_bearcat

<CENTER><FONT COLOR="ORANGE">vflyer@comcast.net<FONT COLOR>
<Center><div style="width:200;color:red;font-size:18pt;filter:shadow Blur[color=red,strength=8)">99th Pursuit Squadron

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 03:57 AM
FB has more style. IL-2 has more substance.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 04:11 AM
NO. Game play in IL2 is smoother and less stuttering online. Planes fly so much better and dont get destroyed by a BB.

FB has great graphics but that doesnt make a game

"Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman. It was my view that no kill was worth the life of a wingman. . . . Pilots in my unit who lost wingmen on this basis were prohibited from leading a [section]. They were made to fly as wingman, instead."
Erich 'Bubi' Hartmann "Karaya One"

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 05:58 AM
Well IMHO I think its worth it ,I would buy it again. The bombers add alot more death /i/smilies/16x16_smiley-tongue.gif to the game online and off , and the new planes are nice. Yes there are a few problems but there being worked on and with over 80 planes in game what do you expect .I think they we get all the planes FMs a bit closer in the next patch , I remember some of IL-2s patches went backwards but at the end most ppl were happy with the product and I think FB will do the same.Just my 2 cents

http://www16.brinkster.com/hawkspage/HawksSig.jpg

Your not getting my buffalo wings

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 07:08 AM
I think when you get used to FB you won't want to go back. Even if its not the best $29 you'll ever spend, its hard to imagine you'll regret it. It'll give you much more satisfaction than a couple of meals in a restaurant. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

disgruntled lefty

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 10:37 AM
No. IL 2 FB is a great expansion pack but crappy stand alone title. It´s not worth paying full price for it. Buy it for as much as an expansion pack and you will be happy you did though (If you got a fast computer). FB looks marginally better but is much more hardware intense.

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 11:05 AM
My game runs smooth on or offline. Comments like that have more to do with a persons computer and internet connection than the game itself.

I love IL2 FB, and some servers I get lag, others a little stutter here, and there, but 90% of the time it's smooth as offline play. Then again I'm more than willing to turn the graphics down a little to get smooth play.

Every take-off is optional, but every landing is mandatory!

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 11:13 AM
Well, my understanding is that they will be coming out with add-ons to FB, but not IL-1 original. Just remember, to play FB reasonably well on your PC you should have at least 512 of RAM, a faster than average C.P.U. and a 128MB video card.

Luckyboy = senior hydraulic landing gear designer for the P-11

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 11:16 AM
Papa_Lazarus wrote:
- I know you must have answered a thousand questions
- like this but for a casual player is it worth
- getting over IL2?
- I prefer ground attack missions to air-air and I
- know that FB features playable bombers, is ths
- correct?
-
- Any help welcomed, thanks.
-
-

If you play casually just for fun then probably not worth it. Especially if you use the Il-2 mostly. If you fancy level bombing in the He-111, then it might be worth it. The only other flyable bomber is the TB-3: good for a bit of a laugh, but not a long term campaign.

FB offers a far greater choice of online games, which might be important for you. For offline ground-attack flying, however, you might as well stay with IL-2.

Kernow
249 IAP

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 12:27 PM
I think I will stay with IL2 for now as it runs perfectly now (didn't when I first got it!! Stutter city).

And FB will come down in price eventually so I will move over to it then.

What are the 'user' system specs (and by that I mean what the actual people playing the game think and not what it says on the box.)

I currently have:
AMD 2200XP
512Mb PC2700 DDR RAM
GF4 Ti4200

and as I say this runs IL2 without a stutter, probably different with FB though?

XyZspineZyX
10-06-2003, 06:21 PM
Well, further to my last post I have bought FB on Ebay!! For 19, which is excellent as it is still sealed and it costs 35 new in the shops here in the UK.

I thought that with all the addons coming it will be a better buy.

Thanks for all your advice, you lot did sway me towards the dark side, lol.