PDA

View Full Version : To be, or not to be Motivations in AC

WaltMickey
12-26-2014, 09:07 AM
I loved AC1 in that Altair lived by the creed — he knew it and nothing else. I loved Ezio even more as he started on a quest of revenge but soon realized the bigger picture of the fight between the assassins and Templars — the brotherhood became a part of him. Connor was weak as well as Edward as the assassin brotherhood came after their personal goals. Arno was disgusting in that the brotherhood and the creed basically had no meaning to him and he was simply using them for their resources — it was all about his girlfriend and "redemption".

So bros before hoes, or more personal goals in AC titles?

VestigialLlama4
12-26-2014, 11:08 AM
I loved AC1 in that Altair lived by the creed — he knew it and nothing else. I loved Ezio even more as he started on a quest of revenge but soon realized the bigger picture of the fight between the assassins and Templars — the brotherhood became a part of him. Connor was weak as well as Edward as the assassin brotherhood came after their personal goals. Arno was disgusting in that the brotherhood and the creed basically had no meaning to him and he was simply using them for their resources — it was all about his girlfriend and "redemption".

So bros before hoes, or more personal goals in AC titles?

Motivations can be more delicate than something as simple as "Personal or Professional".

I mean what were Altair's motivations for being an Assassin, did he have other choices, did he think "I want to go to Baghdad to the House of Wisdom and complete my masters in alchemy", did Malik think that after losing his arm, he should maybe invent stand-up comedy and travel the Levant. He's given a motivation to hunt the Nine, to regain his honor, but if Al Mualim had told him to do it anyway, he would have done it. Then there's the fact that he holds the Apple at the end of AC1 and keeps it to his final moments.

In Black Flag, what are Edward's motivations for being a pirate, is it so that he can come back and win his wife's love(she loves him anyway), is it so that he can provide them riches (she was born rich and left that to live with him in a shack), or is it simply that he's a greedy son-of-a-b-tch who keeps coming up with excuses to do what he wants and use his friends and family to get what he wants and damn the consequences. The real thing is at the end when Jenny asks Edward would he have returned if he had known about her, "If I knew, I might have returned...I hope I would."

The fact is motivation in the Hollywood Screenwriting sense is a pretty outdated concept, movies in the 70s(Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The Godfather), modern literature and theatre(The Stranger, Waiting for Godot, Death of A Salesman) have deconstructed it all sorts of ways.

rrebe
12-26-2014, 11:10 AM
I'd like to see something doesn't have revenge as the main thing motivating the character, be it personal or brotherhood focused.

RADAR__4077
12-26-2014, 04:26 PM
I miss the it's-all-in-a-days-work feel of Altair. He has the feel of a born assassin. No personal vendetta. Just following orders and eliminating targets. I wouldn't want every game to be like that, but seeing one or two more would be nice.

Megas_Doux
12-26-2014, 04:30 PM
I disagree, Ezio did not realize the assassins vs templars struggle "soon in the game" but in the last part of the game instead.......

Back on topic, again the struggle of the traditional assassin vs the innovative one....

Namikaze_17
12-26-2014, 06:18 PM
*Reads Post*

*Says Ezio learned the "Bigger Picture" *

*Says Connor & Edward were weak and only joined for personal motivations*

*Leaves*

GoldenBoy9999
12-26-2014, 06:38 PM
^ Lol.

It doesn't matter that much to me. I don't want every protagonist to be all assassin all the time like Altair, but I also don't want assassins that don't believe in the creed that much frequently. I like to see variety.

I'd like to see less revenge or "redemption" as Arno called it. The theories on Sam being a family man would be pretty cool. It'd be something new and different. It reminds me of Giovanni in AC Lineage or Ezio in Embers, but neither of those were games.

GunnerGalactico
12-26-2014, 06:53 PM
I loved AC1 in that Altair lived by the creed.

If memory serves me correct, at the beginning of AC1... Altair did not fully understand the wisdom about the creed. He displayed arrogance and broke all 3 tenets in a matter of minutes, which later resulted to him being demoted to a mere novice. It was only during the latter stages (not going into details- we all know what transpired then on), that he saw the bigger picture and understood the creed, and it's meaning.