PDA

View Full Version : PF sound question

oddglob
07-20-2004, 01:25 AM
In one sense I hate to bring up a topic that has already provided me with 5 day's continous reading material on the IL2 forums, but on the other hand I would really like to get an answer relating to the IL2 sound engine - more precisely its implementation in PF.

Although I realise there are people around who have no sound issues with any of the IL2 series of sims, there are clearly a very large number of people who do.

I'm not talking about issues regarding the lack of variety of sounds, or their lack of fidelity in comparison to real life. I'm instead talking about the technical aspects of the sound engine and its inability to function correctly on a number of system setups employing up to date drivers and current, popular hardware accelerated sound processing chips.

For my own part, I have tried four different sound setups with the IL2 sound engine - each system employing a different sound chip - Audigy 2, Cmedia, Hercules Fortissimo 3 and nForce2. In all of these cases, the original sound engine used in the very original IL2 boxed version worked superbly. The sound engine in the original boxed version of FB worked OK, but not as well as the original version of IL2. The various patched versions of the above have, imo, been getting worse and worse each time a new version comes out. I can't even get the sound in the 1.22 version to work properly at all.

That said, I have not tried the Aces Expansion pack. The reason for this is that I'm just not willing to take the risk that the sound will be exactly the same as the sound in the 1.22 version of FB. From what I have researched over the last 5 days, people have the same complaints about the Aces sound as they do the FB sound, so it seems at the very least they are quite closely related.

So that leaves Pacific Fighters. Will the PF sound engine be the same as that employed in the 1.22 FB patch or the Aces Expansion Pack?

I would really like to get PF when it comes out, but I don't think it makes logical sense to go out and buy it if it uses exactly the same sound engine that I'm having trouble with at the moment. (btw, I went back to FB version 1.0, because that version works OK, with only minor issues).

If I knew a PF specific demo was going to be available, or that it was possible to return purchased software in Australia, I would simply wait to buy the game myself, but in the present situation I have to pay my money upfront and just hope I won't have problems.

I'm thus hoping I can get an honest answer from someone in the know, even if that means I won't end up buying the product.

I know people might say just wait and see what other people say after they buy the game. The problem with that is that the sound issues reported on these forums don't always follow a discernable trend as regards the IL2 setup, drivers or hardware used.

oddglob
07-20-2004, 01:25 AM
In one sense I hate to bring up a topic that has already provided me with 5 day's continous reading material on the IL2 forums, but on the other hand I would really like to get an answer relating to the IL2 sound engine - more precisely its implementation in PF.

Although I realise there are people around who have no sound issues with any of the IL2 series of sims, there are clearly a very large number of people who do.

I'm not talking about issues regarding the lack of variety of sounds, or their lack of fidelity in comparison to real life. I'm instead talking about the technical aspects of the sound engine and its inability to function correctly on a number of system setups employing up to date drivers and current, popular hardware accelerated sound processing chips.

For my own part, I have tried four different sound setups with the IL2 sound engine - each system employing a different sound chip - Audigy 2, Cmedia, Hercules Fortissimo 3 and nForce2. In all of these cases, the original sound engine used in the very original IL2 boxed version worked superbly. The sound engine in the original boxed version of FB worked OK, but not as well as the original version of IL2. The various patched versions of the above have, imo, been getting worse and worse each time a new version comes out. I can't even get the sound in the 1.22 version to work properly at all.

That said, I have not tried the Aces Expansion pack. The reason for this is that I'm just not willing to take the risk that the sound will be exactly the same as the sound in the 1.22 version of FB. From what I have researched over the last 5 days, people have the same complaints about the Aces sound as they do the FB sound, so it seems at the very least they are quite closely related.

So that leaves Pacific Fighters. Will the PF sound engine be the same as that employed in the 1.22 FB patch or the Aces Expansion Pack?

I would really like to get PF when it comes out, but I don't think it makes logical sense to go out and buy it if it uses exactly the same sound engine that I'm having trouble with at the moment. (btw, I went back to FB version 1.0, because that version works OK, with only minor issues).

If I knew a PF specific demo was going to be available, or that it was possible to return purchased software in Australia, I would simply wait to buy the game myself, but in the present situation I have to pay my money upfront and just hope I won't have problems.

I'm thus hoping I can get an honest answer from someone in the know, even if that means I won't end up buying the product.

I know people might say just wait and see what other people say after they buy the game. The problem with that is that the sound issues reported on these forums don't always follow a discernable trend as regards the IL2 setup, drivers or hardware used.

GT182
07-20-2004, 10:53 AM
All I'm running is SoundBlaster Live for FB and it's working fine for me, I don't have all the fancy subwoofers and speakers needed for any of the newer sound systems so I can't comment on them..... just the SB Live setup.

I do have a set of JBL speakers that are very good tho and deliver good quality sound.

"GT182" / "Stab/JG51_vonSpinmeister"
www.bombs-away.net/forums (http://www.bombs-away.net/forums)
"Fly to Survive, Survive to Fly"

Labienus
09-01-2004, 03:05 AM
Hello!

Can anyone answer on this question? Anyone? Plz!

I realy want to know how will be look like sound question in PF? Maybe Luthier or somebody else who knows gave an answer somwhere else - plz give me a link if u know where it is. If not... plz give an answer here! It is very important question (Sounds in PF) for many poeple.

In PF movies I heard sounds from CFS2 (especially Corsairs taking off) or some real samples. How it will be looking in PF?

Best regards!