PDA

View Full Version : General Bickering and a mention of the Zero

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 01:40 PM
It seems to me that many here spend much time arguing over the relative merits of different machines without looking at the wider picture.For example with the FW D9 many argue over how it or the P51 perform but do not seem to consider that the D9 was a medium to high altitude fighter where its best performance was. At this height it was more than a match for the P51. But I daresay that not many have tried it at this height. Down low it would have a much tougher time. Another major point is that pilots working as a team can really limit the effectiveness of someone in an aircraft of superior performance.
One question I would like to ask is, is the roll rate of the A6m5 set with reference to the fact that the wingspan was reduced somewhat to increase the rate of roll over the A6M2 (and was pretty effective) as was the A6M3 with the clipped wings. Someone please answer this queerie if possible. Also are we going to see some US Brewster Buffalo's P75a's and P40B's to pit against the A6M2 Zero?

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 01:40 PM
It seems to me that many here spend much time arguing over the relative merits of different machines without looking at the wider picture.For example with the FW D9 many argue over how it or the P51 perform but do not seem to consider that the D9 was a medium to high altitude fighter where its best performance was. At this height it was more than a match for the P51. But I daresay that not many have tried it at this height. Down low it would have a much tougher time. Another major point is that pilots working as a team can really limit the effectiveness of someone in an aircraft of superior performance.
One question I would like to ask is, is the roll rate of the A6m5 set with reference to the fact that the wingspan was reduced somewhat to increase the rate of roll over the A6M2 (and was pretty effective) as was the A6M3 with the clipped wings. Someone please answer this queerie if possible. Also are we going to see some US Brewster Buffalo's P75a's and P40B's to pit against the A6M2 Zero?

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 03:33 PM
Can't answer most of that but there is a P-40B in the works from a third part modeler that may be included post Addon.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig.jpg
"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." - Winston Churchill

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 03:55 PM
I just tried dogfight OMB with 4 ace zeros and 4 ace Ki84's vs 4 ace P51 and 4 ace P47. No Advantage. Padlock and Icons on the rest on hard.
All the Japaneese aircraft were destroyed and all the US aircraft survived. I was in a P51 and downed 4 Zeros and they were mainly dog meat....I have no idea who got the other kills.

"Nothing difficult is ever easy"

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 03:57 PM
PikeBishop wrote:
- Also
- are we going to see some US Brewster Buffalo's
- P75a's and P40B's to pit against the A6M2 Zero?

The Zero in FB is the A6M5, and we have the Brewski.

See "B239" in your QMB.

http://forums.ubi.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

"We will welcome them with bullets and shoes."

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 04:44 PM
Yes I have noticed that the settings for average and ace pilots are not the same for japanese and american. In order to get an even fight you have to make the US ones novice and the Japanese aces. I am not saying that its a little biast........BUT........

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 04:57 PM
The Buffalo that I want is the heavier american version so the Zero will be seen in its true light......excellent at the time walking over everything. When people try to suggest that aircraft like the P40 could hold its own against the zero...if it was caught napping with a zero on it's tail it was goodbye P40.
I recall that when Korea was over, for some years after it was fact that the Mig15/F86a ratio of kills was 15:1. Now 50 years later it is reduced to 2:1. So I really don't believe the AVG claims of japanese fighters destroyed and I feel that in the first months of the war after Pearl Harbour the US pilots took a pounding. In fighter v fighter combat in terms of machines (and pilots early on) the japs were better and really lost as a result of the US manufacturing effort..........inevitable really as Yamamoto predicted.

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 06:14 PM
You guys are talking apples and oranges.

The Zero we have is the A6M FIVE. You would pit it against a P-51 or a P-40N or a P-47C or D, but also to a Hellcat or a Corsair.

Not an early war P-40E. Not a *Finnish* Buffalo. Those are NOT the matchups you saw over the Dutch East Indies. For those, we'd need an A6M TWO or possibly THREE.

And besides all that, the FB A6M5 is, uh, just poorly modelled in just about all respects. Just a look at it's high-speed roll and control response (not nearly penal enough) tells you all you need to know.

Windows 98SE
Athlon 1700+ 1.4GHz
Mobo: FIC AU13 (TFA42 BIOS)
nVidia onboard sound
1GB of 2100 DDR memory
Video Card: ATI Radeon 8500 128MB w/Catalyst 3.5
Cougar HOTAS
CH Pedals

XyZspineZyX
12-09-2003, 08:13 PM
No I would not even bother using the Zero after 1943 but go for the Shiden or the Hien or even the Shoki to get a decent even fight. As far as the Zero was concerned one could survive but always at a disadvantage. What I was asking regarding the A6M5 was whether the roll rate was that of the A6M2 as the reduced span greatly improved the roll characteristics which I don't think are modelled here.
The Ki84 was in a different league altogether as was the Shiden Kai and the Mitsubishi Raiden. As you are saying the P40b and the US Buffalo and even the F4F was struggling against the A6M2 in all but roll rate and dive speed. Once a good Zero pilot was behind your chances Were poor.