PDA

View Full Version : Will there be Steam Keys?

lestat2150
12-16-2014, 11:39 AM
I scoured the forums here and on steam and can't find the answer. I got Unity through a promotion and activated it via Uplay. I have the cd key for that. Is Ubi not offering steam keys?

Wrath2Zero
12-16-2014, 11:59 AM
It's not in the Steam store in some counties like the UK. Ubisoft wanted to charge 50 a copy or not pay the 30% for Steam. Basically, Ubisoft are doing what EA did, just selling at places where they can maximise profit and get full price of 50.

lestat2150
12-16-2014, 12:43 PM
It's not in the Steam store in some counties like the UK. Ubisoft wanted to charge 50 a copy or not pay the 30% for Steam. Basically, Ubisoft are doing what EA did, just selling at places where they can maximise profit and get full price of 50.

Ok I get that they want to maximize profits. However, if I've already gotten the game through other means and its registered on Uplay, how does it affect Ubisoft to just give people steam keys. They offer it for North America on steam after all. I dont pretend to know how these business models work...

YazX_
12-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Ubisoft wanted to charge 50 a copy or not pay the 30% for Steam. Basically, Ubisoft are doing what EA did, just selling at places where they can maximise profit and get full price of 50.

Those are assumptions and there is no official word about it, the game is available on all other regions, same steam cut no matter where it is, so based on that rumor it doesnt make sense. in AC4 Ubisoft offered gold edition for NA for 80$ and Deluxe for EMEA for 80$ without season pass, so the issue is not pricing as clearly they set different prices for each region and edition as my personal opinion.

Ok I get that they want to maximize profits. However, if I've already gotten the game through other means and its registered on Uplay, how does it affect Ubisoft to just give people steam keys. They offer it for North America on steam after all. I dont pretend to know how these business models work...

indeed, there is no official word about the reason on why steam doesnt offer ACU for UK, its UPlay version only for now, however, Ubisoft games dont have any integration with steam services, so you will not miss anything by adding the game as non-steam game to your steam library.

Wrath2Zero
12-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Those are assumptions and there is no official word about it, the game is available on all other regions, same steam cut no matter where it is, so based on that rumor it doesnt make sense. in AC4 Ubisoft offered gold edition for NA for 80$ and Deluxe for EMEA for 80$ without season pass, so the issue is not pricing as clearly they set different prices for each region and edition.

indeed, there is no official word about the reason on why steam doesnt offer ACU for UK, its UPlay version only for now, however, Ubisoft games dont have any integration with steam services, so you will not miss anything by adding the game as non-steam game to your steam library.

They're not assumptions, both EA and Ubisoft do no put their games on Steam UK anymore because of the price of 50 a copy, no other games charge 50 a copy, Origin and UPlay charge 50 a copy for the standard digital edition and Gamers Gate also charge 50 a copy. Black Flag is 39.99 on Steam on release.

Anykeyer
12-16-2014, 02:40 PM
I doubt topic starter asked about UK :cool:

Usually only games which have Steam as its main media (that means you have to install steam even if you got retail copy) have Steam cdkeys. For most other games (except some indie packs and promos) Steam keys dont exist.
This article lists all retail games with Steam cdkeys https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601 Valve usually keeps it up to date.

DarkSolitudeX
12-16-2014, 03:00 PM
You only get steam keys if you buy the game on steam, or the game has steamworks (which means that the game is made to run the steam client). Since Assassin's Creed is a ubisoft title, any key you get will more than likely be for uplay, unless stated to be for steam.

Also ubisoft does not exchange or give out steam keys to the public. You would have to buy the game on steam.

YazX_
12-16-2014, 03:05 PM
They're not assumptions, both EA and Ubisoft do no put their games on Steam UK anymore because of the price of 50 a copy, no other games charge 50 a copy, Origin and UPlay charge 50 a copy for the standard digital edition and Gamers Gate also charge 50 a copy. Black Flag is 39.99 on Steam on release.

As long as there is no official word or statement then they are assumptions, if you believe this is the true story then that's your business and personal opinion but officially its considered an assumption.

AntiChrist7
12-16-2014, 06:18 PM
Doesnt matter. Only thing does is activating Uplay.

class101
12-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Only the CD keys mentionned here are activable on Steam, page is frequently updated

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

Bahjabroni
12-16-2014, 07:43 PM
I scoured the forums here and on steam and can't find the answer. I got Unity through a promotion and activated it via Uplay. I have the cd key for that. Is Ubi not offering steam keys?

No. I assume you got it through the Nvidia Pick Your Path promotion? uPlay only. You have to look at it like this: uPlay is Ubisoft's Steam. They want people to use uPlay. They're not going to give keys for another service when they have this in place.

There is no place to get a "steam key" for this game at all. Ubisoft titles on Steam are only available through Steam, any other place be it a promotion or retailer will provide the uPlay version.

However, you can add the game to Steam via the "Add a non-Steam game" function via the Games menu in the Steam client. I do this for my uPlay titles and it allows the Steam overlay to be used etc.

The only advantage a true "Steam version" provides is that updates to the game are pushed via the Steam client. Other than that, you can still play the game with your Steam friends as they need to have uPlay installed to play it themselves. You're not losing anything by not having the Steam version.

Carch
12-16-2014, 09:34 PM
Launching Uplay games by adding them as non-Steam games has never worked right for me. They always just launch Uplay, and then I have to launch the game manually in Uplay. Also, Steam tracks my play time, which is an important feature to me. I like having all my games tracked in one place, and since I have used Steam for that since 2007, I don't really want to change.

Bahjabroni
12-16-2014, 11:58 PM
Launching Uplay games by adding them as non-Steam games has never worked right for me. They always just launch Uplay, and then I have to launch the game manually in Uplay. Also, Steam tracks my play time, which is an important feature to me. I like having all my games tracked in one place, and since I have used Steam for that since 2007, I don't really want to change.

Have uPlay open before you launch the game from Steam and it will work.

Ubisofts future games will not be getting released on Steam anymore (Unity, FC4, and The Crew are the last ones), so if you are going to want to play Ubisoft's titles, you're a bit SOL.

Sherm1984
12-18-2014, 01:28 AM
Don't know if its a bad thing but I have both far cry 4 and the crew in steam. Funny thing is I cannot buy season passes for nethier...

This is just a test just like wow did when they did the price hike. GBP is a big enough market and separate enough from euro dollar to test how much monies/percentage is lost.

lestat2150
12-18-2014, 02:14 PM

This is also the reason I enjoy using steam. I like tracking my game play time and reading up on the articles that are conveniently placed there, and yes, I got ACU through the pick your path NVidia promotion.