PDA

View Full Version : New Map - Millworks (PS4)

Manlius10A
12-15-2014, 02:24 PM
I just finished my second map. I have learned a lot since my first map, and I am really proud of this one. It is inspired by autumn here in the Northeast, and I tried to create a scene that could look like a late September Day in rural New York. The name of the map is, "Millworks", and it is for assault gameplay type. It took me about 30 hours to make. As always my item budget is filled to 100% (yes, I actually achieved exactly 100%).

The map features a mill factory on a riverfront in a forested region. The mill's roof is fully accessible and much of its interior is also accessible and fully decorated. The rest of the map is mostly forested with a small town and lots of cool waterfalls. It is a medium sized map. The factory offers a lot of tight corridors and good action and twitch gameplay options. The forest allows for a more planned and tactical approach. If it becomes too difficult, use the river for cover, and you might even find some extra goodies and a secret tunnel. If it becomes too much of hide and seek there are collectible plants in the forest to help you find the enemy (I personally have not found the need). Video (newly added) and pictures below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg7kTpgel6g&feature=youtu.be

http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/Manlius10A/Far Cry 4 - Millworks/FarCryreg4_20141214212344.jpg
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/Manlius10A/Far Cry 4 - Millworks/FarCryreg4_20141214212002.jpg
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/Manlius10A/Far Cry 4 - Millworks/FarCryreg4_20141214211724.jpg
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/Manlius10A/Far Cry 4 - Millworks/FarCryreg4_20141214211701.jpghttp://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/Manlius10A/Far Cry 4 - Millworks/FarCryreg4_20141214212129.jpg

Mr-RaTmAn
12-15-2014, 04:24 PM
Shame that I'm on PC. One of the best looking maps so far.
Only thing that I would change myself, is that small mountains, like these from the background in the second pic. They are a little bit too sharpy for my eye.
But besides that, really good looking, as I said. Waiting for more.

Manlius10A
12-15-2014, 07:36 PM
Thank you! I captured even more of the level's beauty with some video files, I just need to splice those together and add some music. Yeah, I did notice how shoddy the mountains look in the background in the screenshots, but they are actually much bigger and more volumetric in the editor. I think that the PS4 downgrades them when they are so far in the distance, and they end up looking like crap. I will definitely take that downgrading in mind when producing future maps, but I don't think it is worth publishing a second version of the same map if that is the only issue (stupid not being able to republish maps or un-publish incorrect maps).

I have also notices that the crow and two vultures I added to the map don't seem to display in actual gameplay. I have yet to find out if it is because they flew off or if it is some pop-in issue. In explore mode they circle the factory stacks and it looks really cool. Finally, my third wave has an AI vehicle spawn, but as soon as the vehicle spawns all the enemy AI leave it. It is very strange. Vehicle navigation mesh is fine, and I set it to spawn in the right direction. I am not sure if the rotation resets like experienced on PC.

Fallen-Champ
12-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Looks really nice from the images - what did you capture those on as my PS4 never catches things as sweet as that when I upload an image.
I was trying to search via Author and swear I have your name correct but it would not find anything so I came on here to find the map name.

Looking forward to this one.

Manlius10A
12-15-2014, 11:11 PM
I just captured the map images using the Share button on PS4. The images were captured while in explore mode with all HUD items turned off. I spent some time framing them and ended up taking about 20 screenshots, but only 8 ended up looking really good. I think they might look extra good because of the map's lighting. I positioned the factory specifically so that it captured the morning sun. I found that the "Haze" ambient lighting option really helps bring out the sun's color for a more dramatic effect.

BRASCH
12-15-2014, 11:28 PM
I just captured the map images using the Share button on PS4. The images were captured while in explore mode with all HUD items turned off. I spent some time framing them and ended up taking about 20 screenshots, but only 8 ended up looking really good. I think they might look extra good because of the map's lighting. I positioned the factory specifically so that it captured the morning sun. I found that the "Haze" ambient lighting option really helps bring out the sun's color for a more dramatic effect.

I wish the x1 had that feature. Your map looks great!!

Ubi_Jax
12-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Hey Manlius10A.

This map looks stunning, the lighting affects look great!

Additionally, I love the idea of having an open area (such as the forest you mentioned) and the tighter close quarter combat style of the mill itself.

It'd be great to get a video of this so we can see how it runs :).

Thanks.

kingGILLEY
12-17-2014, 05:35 PM
That looks great man.

Manlius10A
12-17-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks everybody! I haven't had time to work on a video since my original post, but I am glad so many people seem to be enjoying the map!

Svermette
12-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Looks like a very nice map! :cool:
Wow 30 hours...LOL...I thought I was the only one taking that long ;)

I'll give this a run shortly!

ImGonaG3tUsucka
12-18-2014, 01:59 AM
Really great looking pics. Clean and clear. If I had a PS4 I would definitely check it out

Svermette
12-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Manlius10A, I played your map last night. Great job! Did it on my 3rd try. For some reason the heavy gunner would spawn at the perfect time to kill me...Unless I just missed him those two times ;)
I liked that you can use the roof tops.
This map would be ideal for pvp multiplayer.

Manlius10A
12-29-2014, 06:34 AM
BUMP - Added Video to my original post. Sorry it took so long! Holiday's are hectic!

My roots are for PVP maps so, that is just my background showing through. Still dreaming that they patch in PVP for the map editor, and hoping that they return to PVP map editing in FC5.