PDA

View Full Version : AC: Unity is alienatingly French. Tries to use AC2 GUI elements and nostalgia

Gold31415
12-11-2014, 11:44 PM
This game just isn't very good. Although they realized (!) that AC2 is the most loved AC game and they made the in game GUI and Arno resemble AC2 Ezio, the game just doesn't work.

It's a game about France made by French people. So as your walking around everybody speaks French with no subtitles. After HOURS and HOURS and HOURS of hearing French you just can't relate as you don't know what is being said.

In all other AC's there was EITHER the odd English here and there as you were walking around or there were SUBTITLES here and there.

Here there are none, and you just don't understand anything for hours and hours. It frustratingly kills the immersion (not knowing what is being said) to anyone who isn't French.

It's like the developers considered this an experiment in French nationalism or something. Like if you force people to hear French for 80 hours they will magically learn it or something. In reality this fan just got sick of it and left.

It was so alienating I deleted the game and I wouldn't recommend it.

If the developers, with a small effort, had just done what they did in all other AC releases (random convo subtitling) I would have invested in this release and spent more money on it.

Ps: the fact that the game is broken and has terrible FPS (1.3.0./patch 3) had something to do with it aswell.

Assassin_M
12-11-2014, 11:50 PM
Hoo, imagine that. Ripping off their own product. How shameful, Ubi$hoft. How dare rip off your own games?

Couldn't you find something better to rip off, Ubi? hmm? If you're gonna rip off, at least rip off something that's good.

Altair1789
12-11-2014, 11:52 PM
I find the accents way too French

ze_topazio
12-12-2014, 12:03 AM
Not everybody understands English too.

SixKeys
12-12-2014, 12:07 AM
I should add this thread to my "I've come to a conclusion about Unity" topic. First people complain that there are too many English accents in the game, then they complain that a French game set in France has too much French in it. El oh el. :rolleyes:

nachdenki
12-12-2014, 12:16 AM
It kills the immersion that people in Paris speak French? Wait...

Dev_Anj
12-12-2014, 12:23 AM
How does people in Renaissance Italy speaking English, and modern English at that, make any sense?

Also, the UI is quite different from AC 2. Note the huge minimap, the way the control display buttons are not aligned straight, how the player name is displayed prominently at the top left, how Eagle Vision has a meter of its own, how weapon icons are shown etc etc.

Farlander1991
12-12-2014, 12:26 AM
I should add this thread to my "I've come to a conclusion about Unity" topic. First people complain that there are too many English accents in the game, then they complain that a French game set in France has too much French in it. El oh el. :rolleyes:

#1 rule of any big franchise: fans (as a combined entity) don't know what the hell they want.

Assassin_M
12-12-2014, 12:30 AM
#1 rule of any big franchise: fans (as a combined entity) don't know what the hell they want.
It's the first thing we were told in the first game design class I took. Fans don't know what they want but they know it when they see it.

Farlander1991
12-12-2014, 12:35 AM
It's the first thing we were told in the first game design class I took. Fans don't know what they want but they know it when they see it.

But they still don't know what they want, because every fan wants something different. So even if every fan knows exactly what he wants (which, to be fair, would be a miracle, but that's never going to happen, only a small number of fans will know exactly what they want), fanS still don't know what the hell they want just because as a group their views are vastly opposite.

Assassin_M
12-12-2014, 12:37 AM
But they still don't know what they want, because every fan wants something different. So even if every fan knows exactly what he wants (which, to be fair, would be a miracle, but that's never going to happen, only a small number of fans will know exactly what they want), fanS still don't know what the hell they want just because as a group their views are vastly opposite.
Yeah, it was referring to the general audience, not individual cases. No one fanbase will universally agree on something.

Megas_Doux
12-12-2014, 12:42 AM

I enjoyed and welcomed the general approach of Unity´s gameplay: stealth, urban and more focused in what this AC was in its conception. Thing is it was either buried by the disaster of a release or that MANY gamers and big youtube "personalities" in the likes of Angry Joe and Total Biscuit -just to name a few- want the franchise to become a naval simulator with parkour included and some other minor elements here and there, the least of original AC for them, the better

GoldenBoy9999
12-12-2014, 12:44 AM
First people complain over too many English accents and now you're saying the accents are too French? Some people would be glad to notice more French accents. It doesn't matter a bit to me.

ze_topazio
12-12-2014, 12:48 AM
I think Miyamoto said once something like: I don't make games people want, I try to make games people don't even know they want.

Moral of the story: create whatever you want because you can't possibly please fans based on theories of what they like and want.

cawatrooper9
12-12-2014, 01:04 AM
People complain about the British accents, this guy complains that people speak French (in France!). Honestly, sometimes I feel sorry for Ubisoft- I mean, constructive criticism is one thing, but it seems like people just like to complain these days.

Farlander1991
12-12-2014, 01:20 AM
big youtube "personalities" in the likes of Angry Joe and Total Biscuit -just to name a few- want the franchise to become a naval simulator with parkour included and some other minor elements here and there, the least of original AC for them, the better

I watch TB regularly (and AJ to a lesser extent) and I can understand him in a way. He plays a LOT of games (such is the nature of the job) so he likes things to change up considerably. In his FC4 video for example he said that if the next FC will be just like FC3 and FC4 then he will probably not like it. In that same video he says, though, that everybody should decide for themselves if that gameplay is what they're looking for (which is also applied to AC and CoD). Sadly, I think that as much as TB promotes critical thinking and forming your own opinion, a considerable amount of the fanbase doesn't actually follow what he preaches (I remember the time when fans have started complaining that he liked the new Thief game just because the general reception was negative, same with ACU, only TB kinda became that part of general negative reception because that's what he thinks and people blindly followed him).

Gold31415
12-12-2014, 02:16 AM
Only a small child would see things so black and white and think 99% of fans would demand English.

Thankfully AC fans are not little children.

HERE IS WHAT ALL FANS WANT:

ALL of the fanbase wants to ATLEAST know what is going on.

As I walked around Paris I heard three hours of random French conversations by people revolting.

It is nice the first 15 minutes but I don't speak French and after three hours you have no idea what is going on, which alienates you and you play something else.

Atleast in all other AC games there were snippets of English or the conversations were subtitled here and there.

It's like this game was an exercise in French nationalism and it didn't work for me.

I loved walking around Istanbul, Rome, Venice, Jerusalem, Nassau, but walking around Paris I just didn't care. The only reason being that I had no idea what people were saying for hours and hours.

Just a small effort by the developers (infact, just a repetition of what they had done on previous releases) would have had me buy into this game and spend more money on this release.

D.I.D.
12-12-2014, 02:42 AM
This is one of the most ignorant things I've read about Unity. Nothing you said makes any sense. Your lack of understanding of French and hostility to French culture are nobody's fault but your own.

Also, while Ubisoft is a French company by ownership, development is led by Montreal. French Canadians have almost nothing in common with French people. Their vocabulary and dialect are different, their culture is different, and in fact people in Quebec are pretty fiercely protective of those differences too.

PTE Reilly
12-12-2014, 03:02 AM
This game just isn't very good. Although they realized (!) that AC2 is the most loved AC game and they made the in game GUI and Arno resemble AC2 Ezio, the game just doesn't work.

It's a game about France made by French people. So as your walking around everybody speaks French with no subtitles. After HOURS and HOURS and HOURS of hearing French you just can't relate as you don't know what is being said.

In all other AC's there was EITHER the odd English here and there as you were walking around or there were SUBTITLES here and there.

Here there are none, and you just don't understand anything for hours and hours. It frustratingly kills the immersion (not knowing what is being said) to anyone who isn't French.

It's like the developers considered this an experiment in French nationalism or something. Like if you force people to hear French for 80 hours they will magically learn it or something. In reality this fan just got sick of it and left.

It was so alienating I deleted the game and I wouldn't recommend it.

If the developers, with a small effort, had just done what they did in all other AC releases (random convo subtitling) I would have invested in this release and spent more money on it.

Ps: the fact that the game is broken and has terrible FPS (1.3.0./patch 3) had something to do with it aswell.

This thread is ******ed

Wolfmeister1010
12-12-2014, 03:48 AM
I was playing sims and I couldn't understand the language. Way to alienate your English speaking fans, EA.

wvstolzing
12-12-2014, 03:52 AM
I find the Klingons very alienating with those foreheads.

Gold31415
12-12-2014, 04:20 PM
This is one of the most ignorant things I've read about Unity. Nothing you said makes any sense. Your lack of understanding of French and hostility to French culture are nobody's fault but your own.

Also, while Ubisoft is a French company by ownership, development is led by Montreal. French Canadians have almost nothing in common with French people. Their vocabulary and dialect are different, their culture is different, and in fact people in Quebec are pretty fiercely protective of those differences too.

It's my fault I don't speak French? You sound like a French Nationalist.

Why do you think I am hostile towards French culture? My best friend is French.

All I am saying is that this is the first AC game where ALL random conversations are in the local language with no subtitles or English thrown in.

After hours of walking around you want to know what is going on. I am not a 10 year old who's first experience of AC is Unity, I finished all AC's and what they did different in Unity (no subtitles) simply didn't work for me, that's it.

TwentyGlyphs
12-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Complaining about English accents and the fact that most of the conversations you hear around the city are in French with no subtitles is not inconsistent. It basically boils down to the fact that many people would prefer for English to be the primary language heard in the game, and when it's heard, for it to be in an accent that sounds like something someone from that part of the world might use.

Unity messes up in both directions. Instead of having people speaking English so you can understand, most of the people around the city are speaking French, and many people can't understand what they're saying, so it's pointless. I get no sense of history or place from listening to anyone in the city. AC1 through Revelations always had the town criers that would say updates about what was going on. From someone talking about King Richard's army advancing or the infidels in AC1, to asking the young men in the city to refrain from climbing buildings in AC2, there were some interesting things to hear as you walked around the city. Now I get no sense of history from listening to the city because I can't understand it. I guess Unity's answer to this was the lame newspapers that you sometimes find around town? I love to read, but it does nothing for me to read about that stuff compared to hearing people in the city talking about it like previous AC games.

Okay, so when people in the game do speak English, it would be natural to expect them to use a French accent so it sounds like someone from Paris is speaking English. But the game messes that up and uses English accents, which makes no sense and seems laughably out of place. It's just odd all the way around, and both decisions fall flat on their face to me.

SixKeys
12-12-2014, 05:06 PM
Complaining about English accents and the fact that most of the conversations you hear around the city are in French with no subtitles is not inconsistent. It basically boils down to the fact that many people would prefer for English to be the primary language heard in the game, and when it's heard, for it to be in an accent that sounds like something someone from that part of the world might use.

Unity messes up in both directions. Instead of having people speaking English so you can understand, most of the people around the city are speaking French, and many people can't understand what they're saying, so it's pointless. I get no sense of history or place from listening to anyone in the city. AC1 through Revelations always had the town criers that would say updates about what was going on. From someone talking about King Richard's army advancing or the infidels in AC1, to asking the young men in the city to refrain from climbing buildings in AC2, there were some interesting things to hear as you walked around the city. Now I get no sense of history from listening to the city because I can't understand it. I guess Unity's answer to this was the lame newspapers that you sometimes find around town? I love to read, but it does nothing for me to read about that stuff compared to hearing people in the city talking about it like previous AC games.

Okay, so when people in the game do speak English, it would be natural to expect them to use a French accent so it sounds like someone from Paris is speaking English. But the game messes that up and uses English accents, which makes no sense and seems laughably out of place. It's just odd all the way around, and both decisions fall flat on their face to me.

I disagree. Unity is the first game to bring back one of the the best features of AC1: finding interesting stuff by listening to background noise. In AC1, all the regular town criers always said the same thing, so you quickly learned to tune it out. Then when you suddenly heard someone shouting different stuff, your ears perked up.

Unity is the same way. Most of the townspeople speak French, but not all. I frequently hear people gossiping in English about the latest news, and the people at the Café Theatre have their own little interactions that they deliver in English, so you get to know about their personalities. Whenever I hear English dialogue in the midst of all the French, my ears perk up and I know there's something interesting going on. I've been wanting that back ever since AC1.

D.I.D.
12-12-2014, 05:41 PM
It's my fault I don't speak French? You sound like a French Nationalist.

It's your fault that you're angry about not being able to understand French, and your inability to understand any French at all is down to you.

Why do you think I am hostile towards French culture? My best friend is French.

Because this game is somehow "alienatingly" French, according to you.

Because of false statements like this: "In all other AC's there was EITHER the odd English here and there as you were walking around or there were SUBTITLES here and there." That's simply untrue. This game works like the others - there is background local language, and foreground translation, and some things are subtitled but the vast majority of non-English sound files are not.

Because you said, "It's like the developers considered this an experiment in French nationalism or something", and then used the same phrase on me. It's a Frenchy-French conspiracy! The paranoia indicates a hostility, and your singling out of a French-themed game for things that all the others did (except ACIII).

"It was so alienating". Have a word with yourself. You remind me of English speakers who refuse to learn any other languages and then get angry when people speak in other languages around them - in case someone's talking trash about them, as if the world is all about them and has to be changed to make it all understandable to them. I didn't have a very good education, but I've taken it upon myself to fill in the gaps: to understand some French, some German, some Spanish. I've done that partly because it's a good thing to do, but also because my friends speak other languages and I want to meet them halfway. I'm amazed that you didn't think to do this as a courtesy to your French best friend, if that person exists.

I don't speak any Italian, but I picked up some words from playing those two AC games. I never felt alienated, and I learned something. Change your attitude to foreign languages, and you might feel better about all of this.

All I am saying is that this is the first AC game where ALL random conversations are in the local language with no subtitles or English thrown in.

Not true.

After hours of walking around you want to know what is going on. I am not a 10 year old who's first experience of AC is Unity, I finished all AC's and what they did different in Unity (no subtitles) simply didn't work for me, that's it.

Since they dropped musical soundtracks, the audio soundscape is so thick with voices that they cannot possibly subtitle every line on which you want to be able to eavesdrop. You'll just have to intuit what's happening by some other means: tone, reactions, physical movement, etc.

SixKeys
12-12-2014, 06:10 PM
I loved walking around Istanbul, Rome, Venice, Jerusalem, Nassau, but walking around Paris I just didn't care. The only reason being that I had no idea what people were saying for hours and hours.

Just a small effort by the developers (infact, just a repetition of what they had done on previous releases) would have had me buy into this game and spend more money on this release.

You're being a complete hypocrite, JSYK. The crowds in the Ezio games spoke exclusively Italian or Turkish, apart from the NPCs you could interact with (guards, shop owners and heralds). Go back to the games and check. Go ahead, I'll wait. In Unity, guards, Royalists (the guys who will fight against Extremists) and shop owners speak English AS WELL AS certain NPCs that you cannot interact with, like the servants at the Café Theatre and even random people on the street. There is literally no difference except your baffling choice to accept Italian and Turkish but not French.

Trih333
12-12-2014, 06:10 PM
You are not missing much on the background conversation... Most of the time they just repeat the same line nonsensically usually over themselves...
I actually wonder if my game is not buggy actually since review usually say that they "never repeat themselves".

Also, I'm pretty sure Unity is the only AC with every background npc never speaking english without subs
Even AC3 with it's intro in Connor's village was fully subs

DumbGamerTag94
12-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Weren't the people of Havana in AC4 all only in Spanish???? I don't remember any English being spoken. Even during some of the tailing missions in the story line. As for the random convo subtitles I can't say. I never play games with subtitles on I find them unnescescary and annoying.

Megas_Doux
12-12-2014, 09:21 PM
You are not missing much on the background conversation... Most of the time they just repeat the same line nonsensically usually over themselves...
I actually wonder if my game is not buggy actually since review usually say that they "never repeat themselves".

Also, I'm pretty sure Unity is the only AC with every background npc never speaking english without subs
Even AC3 with it's intro in Connor's village was fully subs

In Havana the NPCs speak in their native language most of the time and so did the ones in Constantinople....

I just dont get it, there is a thread in which MANY hate Ubi because the actors dont speak with french accents and now this.............

wvstolzing
12-12-2014, 09:21 PM
I also find agent Fox Mulder very alienating.

wvstolzing
12-12-2014, 09:25 PM
and so did the ones in Constantinople....

Now that you mention it: There was a woman's voice in ACR, who kept saying: 'Nerden buldun bunu?' (Where did you find [or get] this?) -- over and over and over; it made me mad.

In contrast, there were a couple of NPC reactions that were all too rare to hear. Once I bumped into a guy, and he yelled 'Essogluessek!' (Son of a donkey - standard innocuous term of abuse in Turkish) after me. I heard that a couple more times, but that was it.

Megas_Doux
12-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Now that you mention it: There was a woman's voice in ACR, who kept saying: 'Nerden buldun bunu?' (Where did you find [or get] this?) -- over and over and over; it made me mad.

In contrast, there were a couple of NPC reactions that were all too rare to hear. Once I bumped into a guy, and he yelled 'Essogluessek!' (Son of a donkey - standard innocuous term of abuse in Turkish) after me. I heard that a couple more times, but that was it.

So you know turkish??? Interesting!

What else do the NPCs say?

wvstolzing
12-12-2014, 11:55 PM
So you know turkish??? Interesting!

What else do the NPCs say?

I'm Turkish :)
It's been a while since I've played ACR; so I don't remember everything. But there was something else that stuck in my head, and that was a street beggar who spoke in a really un-idiomatic way; he said something like 'Dear Sir, in order for me to satisfy my hunger, I am in need of your kind help'.

One thing that I really missed in ACR was street sellers, and the songs & rhymes they make up to attract customers -- I think we've had them only in Firenze so far; but they would have been a great addition to Constantinople.

By the way, the guards in Damascus in AC1 also spoke Turkish ---- though I'm not at all sure how much sense that makes. The region obviously wasn't under Turkish rule at the time, and Turkish speaking populations hadn't penetrated that far west. There could have been Turkish mercenaries; and *perhaps* that's what they had in mind; though it could equally have been someone thinking 'what? voiceovers in some middle-eastern language? what do we got? only one Turkish guy? let him read the lines'. Funnily enough, the language itself, insofar as it has any 'geographical' roots, has those roots up in Siberia, and not in the middle east.

Megas_Doux
12-13-2014, 12:02 AM
It's been a while since I've played ACR; so I don't remember everything. But there was something else that stuck in my head, and that was a street beggar who spoke in a really un-idiomatic way; he said something like 'Dear Sir, in order for me to satisfy my hunger, I am in need of your kind help'.

One thing that I really missed in ACR was street sellers, and the songs & rhymes they make up to attract customers -- I think we've had them only in Firenze so far; but they would have been a great addition to Constantinople.

By the way, the guards in Damascus in AC1 also spoke Turkish ---- though I'm not at all sure how much sense that makes. The region obviously wasn't under Turkish rule at the time, and Turkish speaking populations hadn't penetrated that far west. There could have been Turkish mercenaries; and *perhaps* that's what they had in mind; though it could equally have been someone thinking 'what? voiceovers in some middle-eastern language? what do we got? only one Turkish guy? let him read the lines'. Funnily enough, the language itself, insofar as it has any 'geographical' roots, has those roots up in Siberia, and not in the middle east.

Oh I see..

Yep, I found out just months ago that in AC I spoke turkish....

Pr0metheus 1962
12-13-2014, 12:38 AM
People complain about the British accents, this guy complains that people speak French (in France!).

Yeah. Get a clue folks - he's a troll. :rolleyes:

SixKeys
12-13-2014, 01:24 AM

How is the Turkish in AC1? Are the actors speaking it authentic Turks, do you think? I'm just curious because the German soldiers in that game, although fairly convincing, are clearly not voiced by German actors.

wvstolzing
12-13-2014, 01:51 AM
How is the Turkish in AC1? Are the actors speaking it authentic Turks, do you think? I'm just curious because the German soldiers in that game, although fairly convincing, are clearly not voiced by German actors.

All the Turkish I've heard on AC was spoken by native speakers; though blatantly non-professionals.

I haven't bothered to check if it was the same people in AC1 and ACR -- and one of the male voices sounds suspiciously like Suleiman's voiceover in Civ 5, which I haven't bothered to look into either. And that's awful beyond description, though at least not an ungrammatical jumble; I'm told that some of the languages (e.g. Alexander's Greek) makes no sense, either in modern or in ancient Greek.

pirate1802
12-13-2014, 07:16 AM

Did you like walking around in Havana? People spoke Spanish there and no subtitles were included.

lothario-da-be
12-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Sory for my worse english, but OP, this is why me did not like ac4. all people speaking enlgish and spains. i cannot understand what anyone is saying in havana, nassuo and kingston. When it is english i speak a bit it is ok. But in havana and spains inslands they speak spains, i do not understand.

And I buy unity and I talk french ( not naive language) and I can't understand most npc talks. The voice is not loud enough with background sound, so I just hear some French words.
Other people who talk french having this problem?

Jackdaw951
12-13-2014, 04:25 PM
In Havana the NPCs speak in their native language most of the time and so did the ones in Constantinople....

I just dont get it, there is a thread in which MANY hate Ubi because the actors dont speak with french accents and now this.............

Yeah, I'm Latin-American, so it was fun to walk through Havana and listen to all that Castillian and New-World Spanish. I wish I could have the same experience in Unity, but I never thought the French should be speaking anything but French on their own streets. An extra subtitle option for casual conversations would be nice, though. I can understand a little French, being bilingual, with my native tongue being a Romance language. So I do get a little bit of what's going on. "*****! Guarde! Veni vitte!" Or something like that. "[4 asterisks] Guard! Come quick!"? :)

Edit: Ahaha! So even the French don't get to curse in here.

Megas_Doux
12-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I'm Latin-American, so it was fun to walk through Havana and listen to all that Castillian and New-World Spanish. I wish I could have the same experience in Unity, but I never thought the French should be speaking anything but French on their own streets. An extra subtitle option for casual conversations would be nice, though. I can understand a little French, being bilingual, with my native tongue being a Romance language. So I do get a little bit of what's going on. "*****! Guarde! Veni vitte!" Or something like that. "[4 asterisks] Guard! Come quick!"? :)

Edit: Ahaha! So even the French don't get to curse in here.

Well, you can set the game in french!

I do that everytime I free roam, in fact it is possible ever since AC II in which you could set the game in italian......

Jackdaw951
12-13-2014, 07:55 PM

I do that everytime I free roam, in fact it is possible ever since AC II in which you could set the game in italian......

There's an idea for maximum realism. Can I set the subtitles to English and the speech to French? I do want to understand the story and mission briefings.

SixKeys
12-13-2014, 08:01 PM

If you're on PC, it's not possible to change the language in Unity. Subtitles yes, audio no. I was really disappointed because I wanted to play through the game in French.

Megas_Doux
12-13-2014, 08:27 PM
If you're on PC, it's not possible to change the language in Unity. Subtitles yes, audio no. I was really disappointed because I wanted to play through the game in French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUpHRa713CI

Pretty odd...

That is a PC and the walkthrough is in French!

SixKeys
12-13-2014, 08:57 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUpHRa713CI

Pretty odd...

That is a PC and the walkthrough is in French!

Yes, because the player is French. Hence he bought the game in France and installed it in the default language. In many countries you only get one default language option, like German or Russian dub. If you install it in English though, you can't change it afterwards.

wvstolzing
12-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Yes, because the player is French. Hence he bought the game in France and installed it in the default language. In many countries you only get one default language option, like German or Russian dub. If you install it in English though, you can't change it afterwards.

Steam usually allows selecting among all available audio language options.

SixKeys
12-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Steam usually allows selecting among all available audio language options.

But only for the initial installation. I have Unity on Steam and I don't have French language option, only English. I might be able to change it if I uninstalled and reinstalled the thing, but I'm not gonna try.

wvstolzing
12-13-2014, 09:41 PM
But only for the initial installation. I have Unity on Steam and I don't have French language option, only English. I might be able to change it if I uninstalled and reinstalled the thing, but I'm not gonna try.

What, really? I have all previous ACs (except 4) on Steam, and I can go back and forth between several languages by just downloading the audio files.

It's absurd if they removed that option for ACU.

Are you trying it through the Steam preferences, or in game? Is it greyed out under the language tab in *Steam's* preferences window for ACU?

mattyink
12-25-2014, 04:59 AM
OP is sooo pathetic its not even funny.
Why is this even a big deal???? Im from Montreal and french and what npcs say when you walk around is actually not important. What they repeat (and i mean after an hour you heard it all!!!!!!) Doesnt bring anything that the database entries don't....