PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot Tournaments at a new low

Gdinut
12-08-2014, 05:36 PM
maybe they should increase the gold output in Jackpot tournaments to make people actually want to play them more. (even if you dont get into a reward tier you get some extra gold due to a higher than usual gold output) so everyone gets something.

i guess asides from rewards what i usually collect is maybe half the amount of gold i would get from a quick game standard game. so i usually dont bother much with jackpots.

Anyways participation is so low this weekend i finished 11th in the jackpot and got 3rd tier rewards. That is a bit steep!. you now literally have to win the tournament to get 1st tier rewards. at this rate in 3 more months jackpot tournaments will become a 100 player thing!

Licker34
12-08-2014, 06:04 PM
It's because the Haven weekly format was just terrible.

But, they do need to get rid of so many open format (since nearly all weeklies are also open) tournaments.

Standard days usually have 2x as many participants if not more.

I'd like to see some rewards for playing more JP games honestly, right now I play 3-5 and once I get to ~90 points I just stop, no reason to chase anything more for me, and I'll take my 5k gold and move on.

Not sure how they could do it since you'd still have people who would play their 5 turns and just surrender to reach 10 games played (or whatever you set for a reward threshold). Still, it would be nice to have some small reward (3WCs, 20 seals, ...) for just playing enough matches.

Gdinut
12-08-2014, 07:00 PM
something like wildcard for every 5 jackpot games won or something like that.

malkorion
12-08-2014, 07:04 PM
Gives us wildcards or seals in Jackpot. Anything but gold. It's worth more to play Swisses.

Licker34
12-08-2014, 07:30 PM
something like wildcard for every 5 jackpot games won or something like that.

Maybe, but I'm still thinking that some kind of 'participation' reward would encourage more lower elo players to give it more than a handful of games. The problem is keeping that system from being easily abused.

I also think that just making more JPs standard would increase overall numbers in them.

Right now, other than to reach Champ1+ there is really no reason to care about the ladder. But that's sort of another issue all together.

D10is13
12-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Why isn't the jackpot tournament like a humongous bracket, rather than just a glorified ranked quick match? It seems odd to me that someone that plays 60 games and is 40-20 would get a higher rank than someone that is like 12-0.

I like the idea of weeklies, but they should make one day be standard weekly, and one day be open weekly.

Woodder
12-09-2014, 02:24 PM
I only play Jackpot, nothing else. Because the only achievement I lack are all the 3 Jackpot achievements. (10 win, 15 wins and finish 1st). My ranking suffer a lot from it but once I get all chievement I will be able to fix that.

I am having a very hard time though.I could just concentrate on the easy one (15 wins over a few days), but I am trying the hardest one(10 wins) and once I get it getting the 15 wins accross multiple days should be easy. But oh boy these 10 wins in a row are very difficult. I miraculously managed to get 9 win in a row when the daily format was Academy, but I never passed that.

The haven tournament was actually kind of fun. No inferno opponent is enjoyable. This week tournament though (no uniques) is pretty much just an open tournament.

The fact that there are so few player playing the tournament makes it harder, because the only player that plays it are usually good players.

malkorion
12-09-2014, 03:02 PM
I only play Jackpot, nothing else. Because the only achievement I lack are all the 3 Jackpot achievements. (10 win, 15 wins and finish 1st). My ranking suffer a lot from it but once I get all chievement I will be able to fix that.

I am having a very hard time though.I could just concentrate on the easy one (15 wins over a few days), but I am trying the hardest one(10 wins) and once I get it getting the 15 wins accross multiple days should be easy. But oh boy these 10 wins in a row are very difficult. I miraculously managed to get 9 win in a row when the daily format was Academy, but I never passed that.

The haven tournament was actually kind of fun. No inferno opponent is enjoyable. This week tournament though (no uniques) is pretty much just an open tournament.

The fact that there are so few player playing the tournament makes it harder, because the only player that plays it are usually good players.

Actually, the only Jackpot related achievement that is worth your time is the one where you have to place 1st - you get a whole box! But the others are pointless.

1) Win 15 Jackpot duels in a row - 6 tournament tickets
2) Get a win streak of 10 in Jackpot - Base Set 1 pack (1)
3) Win first place in Jackpot - The Box (1)
4) Finish in the 1st tier of Jackpot - Base Set 1 pack (1)

Unless you have an obsessive compulsive disorder, I don't recommend doing them. It's just frustrating.

Woodder
12-10-2014, 03:49 AM
Unless you have an obsessive compulsive disorder, I don't recommend doing them. It's just frustrating.

You are double right:

a) it is way too frustrating
b) I am totally OCD

I completed the finish in the first tier, actually i could probably have won the weekly tournament if I stopped after my 9 victories, but i wanted to reach for that last 10th victory and I blew it all.

Maybe I should just get to champion III instead

Gdinut
12-10-2014, 04:45 AM
asides the rating system is complete BS.. there is a guy in the top 10 that is 7-0 and the 11th guy with a 187 rating is 5-0
when i was 5-0 in this same tournament i had a 98 rating. its more a luck thing you get rating depending in who you beat so you can go on a streak and still be in a very low position..
im glad i already won my jackpot tournament .. i dont try hard for the streaks when i loose i just play until i am sure i am at least at tier 5 rewards and leave it at that

Licker34
12-10-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah, the rating system can act screwy. I think it would be better if there were more players in the jackpot, but it would still depend on when you were actually playing and how many are playing at that point.

On the other hand sometimes the rating system works to your advantage, since I usually only bother to get to ~90, but sometimes that 3rd game I win will give me enough points to get me to ~115 and jump up a tier :)

jkk89
12-10-2014, 06:53 PM
I rememebr one time I play jackpot and I was 20-5 or so but I had 0 points. Dont play jackpots anymore. So random...

(oh and I am pretty sure I saw some guys 20-15 in top ten)

Licker34
12-10-2014, 08:44 PM
Well that matters is your last streak...

So you could be 7-30, but if you lost the first 30 and won your last 7 you'd still wind up placing high.

Milky97
12-10-2014, 09:43 PM
Hey i made a suggestion for JP change already a few month back and i think it is related to this thread so i will repost it here:
"But first let me tell you something: When i started playing this game and got better, the most enjoyable part was to compete with the other top players in the jackpot. Very often i would barely play on a swiss day, but meet up with Dragonsir and YourEND767 just to play jp all day on jp days. It was also a system that distinguished the game from other online games i played previously. Such competition so easy accessable ingame was really great in my opinion.
Nowadays its no secret that jackpot is totally irrelevant, which is why i suggest changing it. In my opinion we should restrict JPs to 3 times (either 1std,1opn,1weekly or 2std,1opn; i will get back on this) and increase the individual prices. When i talk about increasing the prices the first thing should be very obvious: you have only half the amount of jps so you can double the gold per duel (or however it works exactly). This already would imo make JP more valuable. However i would go even further and add some special goodies. Doesnt even need to be something super big (so dont be afraid no one will spend money anymore), but should show that there is some value in playing jackpot, like 1premium card of choice for the winner of std jackpot (Std jackpot should get the most special prices to make it most competetive). There are many format related things that could be done. Hwever dont only give special prices to the top players, but also give some random prices here and there to encourage everyone to play (for example 5times 1tournement ticket will be given randomly in T5). You'd only need to advertise this correctly and everyone should be playing jackpot .
So with this beeing said standart swiss needs to be available everyday and weekly and open should change every day as an additional option. In my opinion weekly is rather dead, but maybe you can for example "buff" it by giving creative prices for weekly jackpot (related to the theme of the weekly). "

Gdinut
12-10-2014, 10:51 PM
when i began playing jackpots had around 3k players a day...
now probably standard jackpots have 1k... and open and weekly will have much much less. i dont feel the game itself its dead but no one plays jackpot anymore because its not worth it. and the less players the less its worth, if you want a good tier reward now you need to finish like in the top 25 and since there are many players with a low rating if you loose one match you need to win like 4 or 5 in a row to make up for it..