PDA

View Full Version : Things I wanna see in ACVic

CoachAssassin
12-04-2014, 02:36 PM
As the title says, a bunch of things I want to see in ACvic, I'll update it if I spot some good ones in the comments.

-As much as there are people screaming for a gray area of templars etc, I want a good and really antagonizing antagonist. Make him sinister, and lovably evil, I don't care if he's going to be a templar or not though.

-The first ýmages are promising but I really want to see an Assassins creed game that primarily plays in a night like time. Sure, give the option, but it seems so much more immersive.

- Give us a complex main character, not a lovable fool like Arno (He wasn't bad but not very complex either), but most of all, give us complex side characters. Unity's had some boring side guys.

- Either wrap up MD or give it an actual form, the way it was in Unity was just terrible.

- Keep the sense of mystery in the story and gameplay. Don't drop bombshells like the time rifts 2 weeks before launch etc, it's terrible. Keep a mystery and don't give answers to everything in the story, it somehow takes away the hugeness of a revelation when made.

- Jack better be a sage or.. ;p.

- I'd really love to see our main character being a bit older, giving him already a bit of a background. Keep his childhood something to be guessed at I suppose, overindulging people with live info seems to make them less interested in the protag (Connor and Arno).

- Do such a poetic and interesting setting justice, there is much written about it, so go and exploit that.

:D how about you guys?

hapkidolaurent
12-04-2014, 02:46 PM
As the title says, a bunch of things I want to see in ACvic, I'll update it if I spot some good ones in the comments.

-As much as there are people screaming for a gray area of templars etc, I want a good and really antagonizing antagonist. Make him sinister, and lovably evil, I don't care if he's going to be a templar or not though.

-The first ýmages are promising but I really want to see an Assassins creed game that primarily plays in a night like time. Sure, give the option, but it seems so much more immersive.

- Give us a complex main character, not a lovable fool like Arno (He wasn't bad but not very complex either), but most of all, give us complex side characters. Unity's had some boring side guys.

- Either wrap up MD or give it an actual form, the way it was in Unity was just terrible.

- Keep the sense of mystery in the story and gameplay. Don't drop bombshells like the time rifts 2 weeks before launch etc, it's terrible. Keep a mystery and don't give answers to everything in the story, it somehow takes away the hugeness of a revelation when made.

- Jack better be a sage or.. ;p.

- I'd really love to see our main character being a bit older, giving him already a bit of a background. Keep his childhood something to be guessed at I suppose, overindulging people with live info seems to make them less interested in the protag (Connor and Arno).

- Do such a poetic and interesting setting justice, there is much written about it, so go and exploit that.

:D how about you guys?

1. Totally agree, I want to have a antagonist (doesnt have to be a templar) which is like vaas from far cry 3. I love him but was so happy when I killed him.

2. Hmm not so fan of that, I mean its surely a nice idea but then it would just be like Arkham city. And I love the lightning in ACU so better bring that back :)

3, I would really like to have a character I can relate to. Somone who I feel with, be sad when he is sad. No overcool badass asskicker monkey.

4. Dont know what you mean.

5. YES PLEASE. No ****ing 19trailers ( there are really 19 of them) 2-3 is enough. Please. We WILL buy it. We promise.

6. No not for my part. I would love to see beginn as a total beginner even not be part of the Assassins guild and have a mentor which you really build a relation to him. Would be so great. Im tired to play my character that can do everything from the beginning.

OpticSpecs
12-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Jack better not be a sage.

I agree with you on MD and the night time option.

They should make the character with a whole new personality. Something different from the rest.

CoachAssassin
12-04-2014, 02:56 PM
1. Totally agree, I want to have a antagonist (doesnt have to be a templar) which is like vaas from far cry 3. I love him but was so happy when I killed him.

2. Hmm not so fan of that, I mean its surely a nice idea but then it would just be like Arkham city. And I love the lightning in ACU so better bring that back :)

3, I would really like to have a character I can relate to. Somone who I feel with, be sad when he is sad. No overcool badass asskicker monkey.

4. Dont know what you mean.

5. YES PLEASE. No ****ing 19trailers ( there are really 19 of them) 2-3 is enough. Please. We WILL buy it. We promise.

6. No not for my part. I would love to see beginn as a total beginner even not be part of the Assassins guild and have a mentor which you really build a relation to him. Would be so great. Im tired to play my character that can do everything from the beginning.

4 is about the Modern Day part in Assassins Creed. It used to have an actual story, not just side references.

Rafe Harwood
12-04-2014, 03:00 PM
4 is about the Modern Day part in Assassins Creed. It used to have an actual story, not just side references.

Desmond died, the story ended.

CoachAssassin
12-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Desmond died, the story ended.

Juno was freed and was so terrible that Minerva thought it was worth an apocalypse for. Seems like a rather open end there mate.

Rafe Harwood
12-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Juno was freed and was so terrible that Minerva thought it was worth an apocalypse for. Seems like a rather open end there mate.

Of course it ended up having to be open ended. They extended the franchise past the trilogy it was supposed to be.

That doesn't mean they had a story planned for the rest. You know the really good book series that have an awesome story are actually planned out before hand right? Without those goals or an end in sight anymore, actually putting together a story is kinda tricky. That's why a lot of it has been lore and backstory since.

CoachAssassin
12-04-2014, 03:08 PM
Of course it ended up having to be open ended. They extended the franchise past the trilogy it was supposed to be.

That doesn't mean they had a story planned for the rest. You know the really good book series that have an awesome story are actually planned out before hand right? Without those goals or an end in sight anymore, actually putting together a story is kinda tricky. That's why a lot of it has been lore and backstory since.

It's why I said that they should choose to either just cut it or continue it with something actually happening. Right now it seems to just be there because it has to be, not because it adds something.

I'd honestly prefer not to have 56 different me's in a game universe ;p.

MIA SILENT
12-04-2014, 03:30 PM
Can't believe there's a thread like this so soon after they released Rogue and Unity, lol.

I'd like to see them finish making Unity before I concern myself with yet another AC game.

Rafe Harwood
12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Can't believe there's a thread like this so soon after they released Rogue and Unity, lol.

I'd like to see them finish making Unity before I concern myself with yet another AC game.

Me too. I haven't gotten around to playing the sucker yet!

VestigialLlama4
12-04-2014, 03:41 PM

This I actually look forward to. The Victorian London was a period where stuff happened at night and you had electic lighting and gaslighting...so you can do night-time open-world there.

how about you guys?

I actually don't care for Victorian London(I liked the Elizabethan Era more) as a setting, I was more interested in Revolutionary Paris as a setting but after the game I wished they didn't make it since they had no interest in it at all. The main thing is their craftmanship should reflect their passion for this era, if they are interested in, it's a good chance they can make others interested in it. More importantly they should do it in a way that avoids the simplistic nostalgia people have for the Victorian Era, this was the age of rapacious imperialist capitalism, where London became wealthy by bleeding the resources of its colonies and impoverishing them while they lived silly lives of prudish consumerism, deluding themselves while slums developed in the city. I'd like a London that was like the one in FROM HELL the Comic Book, dark, oppressive and corrupt to the core.

In terms of gameplay, I'd like two protagonists or maybe three - maybe one can be lower-class/another can be upper-class/a third can be a woman - since it wasn't all that easy for a single person to mix so readily among the high and low in this era. That's why the accents played such an important part of the novels of this time. And by bringing three characters, you can give people the option of playing missions/memory trees in any order, with selected side missions for individuals with some done together(and you can allow optional drop in co-op there) and you know you can give people some amount of open-ness.

I'd also like complete open-world stealth, I should be able to complete the game killing only my intended targets, and dodging all the other guards and by-ways in side missions and main missions, it should be possible for me to do this.

As for the rest, as Jean Cocteau said, "Astonish Me".

king-hailz
12-04-2014, 03:51 PM
I agree with most of what you said... However I think jack the ripper will be shoved in as a side mission or not appear at all... but I don't want any more sage BS! Gives us a proper storyline in the modern day... I think london will look very nice in the dark it will look amazing in fact! But I'm not too bothered about graphics... I really want a good story this time... no bad characters... Make a good story! I've been waiting for every single game to give me an experience as good as AC2 for me and haven't found it in the last 5 years!!! I want it! Get one writer that can write well and keep writing the story for all the games! I don't want it to feel like another side character like Edward (although I liked him) or arno.. because that how they and their games felt! Make this big and epic... Make something be at risk! That's how the characters in AC3 and before felt! They felt important... I want something like that again... and please have some easter eggs and cameos that are worth it maybe show Jenny as a major assassin in the game... Please make it great!

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:20 PM
Old family man protagonist! *slams desk*

D.I.D.
12-04-2014, 04:26 PM
It's a time period that's all about the new. I hope that the game doesn't slide too much into grimdark theme-park-ishness, because although it was an increasingly dirty, noisy place, I think it's important to remember how it felt to those people. What we might see as old-fashioned was not old-fashioned to them, but extremely new: sometimes in a wonderful way, and sometimes in a horrible way. I hope we can get the sense that this world, if not exactly "futuristic", was certainly a world which saw itself barrelling towards the future at a fast pace. This is London at the absolute height of its world power, during what was probably the last time it will ever wield so much influence internationally. I was really pleased to see that Unity stressed how much Paris was flourishing with scientific advancement during the revolution, and I hope they can extend that same sense to London.

There needs to be a balance between the grime and the beautiful, too. Art and entertainment are a huge thing in this society, and what's more it's really exploded everywhere in this period: museums, theatres, galleries, street musicians and street theatre. They were always signs and advertising, but this is an era where the major streets are suddenly chock-full of competing signwork. Each pub wanted more ornate glasswork and gold leaf typography than its neighbour, and every advertiser wanted a more eye-catching and imposing advertisement than its competitor. There should be beautiful buildings with astonishing details, gleamingly clean by comparison with their neighbours, yet to receive their coating of London's smoke and grit. There are grand parks, Crystal Palace, Kew Gardens. This is not Arkham City or Gotham, so I hope the stills from the target video are not the whole story.

It's also a city that is growing and transforming before its inhabitants' eyes. I hope the game covers a stretch of years that allows us to see that, because the constant novelty of the city is a rare opportunity to feed the continuing sense of novelty during the game. I'd also like to see as many small ways as possible of making us interested about the next day, the next week, and to see the protagonist as invested in London life as are the NPCs. The journal vendors were a great beginning for this, although they were short and simple text only. Since the Penny Dreadfuls of the era will no longer be under copyright, I would like to see those available in pamphlet form throughout the game. For anyone who doesn't know what Penny Dreadfuls were, they were ghoulish multi-part entertainment stories sold in serialised pieces, week by week for a penny each, and generally looked down upon as cheap trash for low-class people (but secretly read by people from every class). They might be about a supernatural creature such as Varney The Vampire, or perhaps a violent adventure story about murder and night-time skulduggery. It would be great to see other newspapers and journals scanned directly and readable in the database, and even better if we sometimes unlock new missions by reading the articles inside (i.e. you read a mention of a jewel heist, and then go and investigate the case yourself).

There should be constant noise, as the city was famous for it. Even visitors from American and European cities commented on the incessant nature of the din, and the fact that the city's commerce never quieted: day vendors simply swapped places with night vendors, to serve a population that also worked either day or night shifts and required these services accordingly. This doesn't mean the noise is uniform, however. One of the famous sights of London, much like today, was the thickest flow of people heading to and from work to match the most common working shifts. We need to see that, and it would be nice if we can use it (or be hindered by it - as long as it affects us somehow).

Rather than just "catch the thief" or "protect the civilian", I'd like to see a greater range of random events, maybe some on a grander scale that you see only rarely. The Fire Brigade of Watling Street was known to be an especially impressive outfit, and I'd love to happen upon them responding to a disaster at a burning building or a warehouse (maybe with the option to use our ability to get into the upper floors quickly and save people?).

I hope they have the guts to minimise the Ripper story. It's a case that's magnified out of all proportion, and there were other famous and arguably more interesting murderers in the period. Ripper Street, despite its title, was bold enough to realise this and has barely touched on the Ripper murders during its three series (and counting) run, and even made the decision to start its story after the end of the murders. The Ripper case can be a footnote, something heard but not witnessed. Maybe we could catch glimpses of the killings and the killer, but by the end have Jack remain as much of a mystery as he was to every other Londoner. That would be more powerful, I think, than to take the enormous risk of hanging too much of Victory's success on the shoulders of this one myth. Get it wrong, and you get it really wrong. It would be very hard to please everyone, and the disappointment will be that much heavier under the weight of such expectations.

VestigialLlama4
12-04-2014, 05:33 PM
Thanks for this amazing post. If developers have the passion you do it will be a interesting.