PDA

View Full Version : I am sure Darby will be the lead writer for Victory!

king-hailz
12-04-2014, 06:45 AM
I really think he is and here's why! Well if you remember before unity was out he said certain things about the next game! He said that it will take the features from AC4 ship game play in a different way, unity didn't do that however Victory is with the fight on the moving carriage! This makes me think that Darby is working on Victory! There must be other things as well...

I know Mayrice is getting excited ;)

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 07:05 AM
Favorite setting + favorite writer? If this happens, my greatest fear will no longer be buried alive, but dying before I get the chance to play the game.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Well, looks like we'll have little-to-no MD, little addition to the overarching narrative, and the death of a beloved character. :rolleyes:
jk ilu darbs <3

I know Mayrice is getting excited

lol You do know that ACIV has like one of my least favorite narratives right?

lesser interesting ones being
Liberation
Brotherhood
Unity

(I'm debating whether or not to include Revelations. I need to replay it)

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Another thing I should've added to my post in the Wishlist thread.

Have Darby write the story... :cool:

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 07:39 AM
I don't care who writes it as long as the writing is as good as Rogue's

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 07:42 AM

So you want Richard to write it? :rolleyes:

Hood2theBurbs
12-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Darby's like Shakespeare when compared to the last writer though. And at the very least we'll know that the protagonist will be well written if Darby is the writer. Him or Corey May and I'd be happy.

SirTookTookIII
12-04-2014, 07:45 AM
Since we're on the topic of writers, does anyone know whats up with Corey May? Did he leave or is it possible he could write any of the possible AC games?

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 07:47 AM
So you want Richard to write it? :rolleyes:

Didn't he also write the mess that is Liberation?

@PR

He oversees the writing. He doesn't write the games anymore tho. I think.

Darby's like Shakespeare when compared to the last writer though. And at the very least we'll know that the protagonist will be well written if Darby is the writer. Him or Corey May and I'd be happy.

I don't know. I don't like edward as a character. He bores me.

king-hailz
12-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Since we're on the topic of writers, does anyone know whats up with Corey May? Did he leave or is it possible he could write any of the possible AC games?

Yeah he hasn't even been mentioned... I want either Corey Darby or the Rogue writer to write it...

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Anything but Jeffrey Yohalem, AKA the writer of Walt Disney's take on the franchise.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 07:54 AM

Yes, he did. :rolleyes:

It's kinda a hit or miss with him.

Anything but Jeffrey Yohalem, AKA the writer of Walt Disney's take on the franchise.

I'm sure many want him back... :rolleyes:

SirTookTookIII
12-04-2014, 07:54 AM
Well, I say we all stalk all past writers on twitter... until they inevitably slip up. And then we will take every phrase out of context, like "look to the stars" and all that.

pirate1802
12-04-2014, 07:55 AM
I loved Edward's character. I could relate to him because I'd probably be like him if I ever got to captain a ship in the Caribbeans. The line he uttered about a target on being informed he's bloody rich, "just the sort I'd like to see robbed." I could hear myself saying that, in another time in another land.

Hood2theBurbs
12-04-2014, 07:57 AM
I don't know. I don't like edward as a character. He bores me.

Well that's fair Edward isn't everyone cup of tea he grates on nerves in certain parts of the story. Although I am curious as to why you don't like him.

@ Feit is Yohalem the writer of AC2/ACB?

SirTookTookIII
12-04-2014, 07:59 AM

Richard Faresse and Jill Murray wrote Liberation.

SirTookTookIII
12-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Isn't Ubisoft Quebec working on Victory? I assume they'd want to use a writer that would be close by. Darby lives in Montreal, right?

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Well that's fair Edward isn't everyone cup of tea he grates on nerves in certain parts of the story. Although I am curious as to why you don't like him.

@ Feit is Yohalem the writer of AC2/ACB?

He was very "what you see is what you get"

I had trouble analyzing Shay's, Haytham's, Connor's and Altair's characters when I first set my eyes on them.

But when I saw Edward I was like "he seems like he's this kind of guy" and my expectations were entirely met.

I wouldn't say he's one dimensional or predictable, but he didn't have much deep stuff inside him I found interesting if that makes sense.

@PR

I thought it was sofia

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 08:07 AM
@ feit is yohalem the writer of ac2/acb?

Brotherhood, my man.

SirTookTookIII
12-04-2014, 08:08 AM
@PR

I thought it was sofia

Here's this from Kotaku "For one, this is the first Assassin's Creed game helmed by Ubisoft's Quebec studio..." And I believe they mentioned something about this on UbiBlog.

Yep, just checked, lead development is being switched from Montreal to Quebec.

Hood2theBurbs
12-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Brotherhood, my man.

UGH I hope that man never goes near an AC script ever again. VITORIA AGLI ASSASSINI!!!! Made me wanna throw my controller at the screen.

@ Mayrice That makes perfect sense he's very upfront about what he's all about although that's one of the few things I liked about him. In truth I don't much like Edward as a person but his character arc was something that I loved and what made him memorable.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 08:17 AM
It's just hard to have fun speculating about a character when his behavior is almost obvious.

Hood2theBurbs
12-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Well from what I've seen you do like your speculation don't you. Even if it sometimes gets a little weird. :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Well from what I've seen you do like your speculation don't you. Even if it sometimes gets a little weird. :rolleyes:

'sometimes' :rolleyes:

anyway yeah so basically I'm up for any writer and any composer.

i will just call out crap when I see it.

GoldenBoy9999
12-04-2014, 08:46 AM
I guess the writer doesn't matter to me as long as the story is good. Rogue has the best story imo, but it would be hard to match it already. I want a story much better than Unity at the least.

@Mayrice

Huh, I would've figured you liked AC4's story. I know a lot of the others here did. I guess I can see what you're saying about Edward though. I felt like I should have been able to relate to him but he seemed too much like a storybook/fictional character to me.

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 08:56 AM
I felt like I should have been able to relate to him but he seemed too much like a storybook/fictional character to me.

I'll disagree with that. I found Edward to be the 3rd most relatable character in the franchise. Predictable, sure. And story arc maybe a little overdone in narratives. But his character and how he develops, I can relate to him. Almost more than Connor.

He's starts off as a no-good drunk, selfish and arrogant. Handsome and feels like he deserves more than that. He actions causes tragedies for his family and friends surrounding him, etc. Nothing is ever enough. How he feels and acts towards characters as his journey progresses are things I feel like I would have done if I were in his shoes. Things I would have sometimes thought long and hard about (lul, long and hard). Or act on impulse. Etc, etc.

I don't know, I don't think Edward is too fictional. He feels like a genuine character. Probably because I can relate. His story arc, fine. I agree that the whole selfish pirate into a heroic Assassin story is nothing original, and somewhat cartoony. And his actions are rather predictable, yeah.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Well different strokes for different folks.

Like every character, Edward isn't for everybody.

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 09:02 AM

I can't help but interpret that in a very dirty way. God save my soul. :(

I'm so mature

GoldenBoy9999
12-04-2014, 09:05 AM
I'll disagree with that. I found Edward to be the 3rd most relatable character in the franchise. Predictable, sure. And story arc maybe a little overdone in narratives. But his character and how he develops, I can relate to him. Almost more than Connor.

He's starts off as a no-good drunk, selfish and arrogant. Handsome and feels like he deserves more than that. He actions causes tragedies for his family and friends surrounding him, etc. Nothing is ever enough. How he feels and acts towards characters as his journey progresses are things I feel like I would have done if I were in his shoes. Things I would have sometimes thought long and hard about (lul, long and hard). Or act on impulse. Etc, etc.

I don't know, I don't think Edward is too fictional. He feels like a genuine character. Probably because I can relate. His story arc, fine. I agree that the whole selfish pirate into a heroic Assassin story is nothing original, and somewhat cartoony, but I've to disagree with, you know.

Alright, I see. I thought Edward was a great character, just not relatable for me personally. It's partly because yes, he starts off drunk and ignorant but I would never do that in the first place. I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else, it's just that I'll never drink. The choices he made sometimes aligned with mine and made him seem more real but it wasn't as much as some other characters in the series. I do think that people who are like Edward can find him relatable and real, he's just fairly opposite from me.

Someone I could relate to more so was Arno. His humor was similar to mine but not like Ezio's charm. Ezio was a very big character but Arno seemed more like an average guy to me. Arno's facial expressions and reactions to other characters are similar to how I am every day.

I personally think Arno and Edward are two very different characters so hopefully you can see where I'm coming from. I'm just different in reality from Edward.

Edit:

hah, yeah I was going to use that term. That's pretty much what I'm saying.

I'm so mature

Yep... you have two dirty interpretations in your last two posts. :p

Hood2theBurbs
12-04-2014, 09:05 AM

I'm so mature

It's cuz you and Edward are so alike you dawg. :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 09:06 AM

I'm so mature

That's the second time today someone interpreted what I said as dirty...

And I didn't even mean it like that. :rolleyes:

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Edward is my favourite character because he feels like the most human protagonist to me.

pirate1802
12-04-2014, 09:10 AM
On the other hand, his talk with Caroline at the beginning moved me. "It's not about need, Caroline. I want food that doesn't make me sick. I want a roof that keeps the rain away. I want a decent life." It's a very simple motive, yes. But it's also very very relatable. More relatable than the story of a rich casanova, a stoic warrior or the orphan native. Any middle-class working person with big dreams, who is simultaneously horrified by the situation of the lower class and bedazzled by the opulence of the upper, can relate to it. I dunno... I heard it said before on these forums for another character, but I think it applies here. You need to be in that phase (or lived through it) to relate to him.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 09:11 AM
I also thought he learned the "Assassin's Creed" the best as well...

Even if it took me awhile to realize that. :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 09:17 AM
I personally think Arno and Edward are two very different characters so hopefully you can see where I'm coming from. I'm just different in reality from Edward.

Funny you would say that. Personally, I found myself relating to both Arno and Edward. Arno being the most relatable.

Eh, I just we're just very different people. Or maybe I'm just very, very strange.

It's cuz you and Edward are so alike you dawg. :rolleyes:

Jaysus!

Hood2theBurbs
12-04-2014, 09:18 AM
I heard it said before on these forums for another character, but I think it applies here. You need to be in that phase (or lived through it) to relate to him.

Definitely, it's the biggest reason someone like Connor has become my favorite character. I've gone through some stuff in my life that's similar to what happened to Connor and I can empathize and relate to him far more than any other character ever.

GoldenBoy9999
12-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Funny you would say that. Personally, I found myself relating to both Arno and Edward. Arno being the most relatable.

Eh, I just we're just very different people. Or maybe I'm just very, very strange.

Hah, I was wondering who the other 2 were. That is strange that you found both Arno and Edward relatable. It's like you're two different people. 0.o

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Hah, I was wondering who the other 2 were. That is strange that you found both Arno and Edward relatable. It's like you're two different people. 0.o

Let me be more specific.

I relate to Edward in the novel. His portrayal in the game, not so much. But mostly because his early beginnings, with how he met Caroline, became a privateer, and met Blackbeard, etc, weren't told. <-- Those are the parts I relate most with. I'm not a lady's man or a drunkard, per say. Video games are my whiskeys, m8. And I play lots and lots of them.

But I am a lover. The Assassins' relationship and story with Caroline and Elise... I can really relate to. Kind of bums me as I played through both, TBH. <-- Ye, it got some personal bias from me. IDC.

The sarcasm and seriousness from Arno... feels like I'm playing myself, almost.

Edward's selfishness and motivations, I can seriously sympathize with all of that. As pirate started, you have to be in that phase.

Sorry if this isn't clear enough, but it's near 4 AM in the morning and this isn't my usual behavior on the forums... :p

GoldenBoy9999
12-04-2014, 10:37 AM
Let me be more specific.

I relate to Edward in the novel. His portrayal in the game, not so much. But mostly because his early beginnings, with how he met Caroline, became a privateer, and met Blackbeard, etc, weren't told. <-- Those are the parts I relate most with. I'm not a lady's man or a drunkard, per say. Video games are my whiskeys, m8. And I play lots and lots of them.

But I am a lover. The Assassins' relationship and story with Caroline and Elise... I can really relate to. Kind of bums me as I played through both, TBH. <-- Ye, it got some personal bias from me. IDC.

The sarcasm and seriousness from Arno... feels like I'm playing myself, almost.

Edward's selfishness and motivations, I can seriously sympathize with all of that. As pirate started, you have to be in that phase.

Sorry if this isn't clear enough, but it's near 4 AM in the morning and this isn't my usual behavior on the forums... :p

Nah, it's clear. I liked the "sarcasm and seriousness part." That's what I like about Arno.

I should probably get around to reading the novels. I'm trying to decide which I want for Christmas, a comic, a novel, or what. Forsaken is referenced a lot so I may read it.

Farlander1991
12-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Darby writes hands down the most beautiful and coherent AC stories.

ACR while has got some very weird and out of place action set-pieces (I'm not sure how responsible he was for them, though) is an awesome story about three Assassins from different time periods with the help of each other figuring out what to do with their fate and duty as an Assassin, and they all get to different decisions. It's beautiful.

AC4 may not have the most original story arc, but it's so well crafted (hands down the best crafted AC story to date), and again it's just so beautifully told and written.

pirate1802
12-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Farlander's hands went down a lot in that post. :rolleyes:

*rides a pig and flies away*

m4r-k7
12-04-2014, 11:33 AM
I loved Edward and loved how Darby dealt with his character development. Also, AC 4's story and gameplay innovations saved the series for me, so I would be happy if Darby was the writer.

However, that would mean that AC V would have only started being developed last year, and from the Kotaku leak, it sounds like its been in development for long and that its coming along nicely, so I doubt its Darby. Even if Darby joined the project after AC 4, he still would have only been working on it for a year and I think the writing would have started before that.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 12:24 PM

Yohalem also wrote Far Cry 3, Child of Light, the database entries and glyphs in AC2/ACB and The Lost Archive. He's a fine writer when he's allowed to be creative. ACB's story was originally meant to be part of AC2 so the barebones was written by Corey May. Yohalem had the ungrateful task of turning what was essentially planned as just one or two sequences in AC2 into a full game.

king-hailz
12-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Yohalem also wrote Far Cry 3, Child of Light, the database entries and glyphs in AC2/ACB and The Lost Archive. He's a fine writer when he's allowed to be creative. ACB's story was originally meant to be part of AC2 so the barebones was written by Corey May. Yohalem had the ungrateful task of turning what was essentially planned as just one or two sequences in AC2 into a full game.

Guess your right... tbh all the writers so far have written good and bad... In some ways... Darby although made two great stories... There were problems with them. Corey I think made some mistakes with AC3. Yohalem made a mistake with ACB, and Richard made a mistake with liberation.... I guess the guy for unity is the only one who has not done the best job...

I don't see why he is even there... They have so many writers for assassins creed now why would they need someone new...

PedroAntonio2
12-04-2014, 01:19 PM
Darby can not even write a proper Templar...Laureano Torres and Ahmet were BOOOOOORIIIIING.

And Darby hates the modern-day section. I want someone who sees the potential in Juno's saga.

TheHumanTowel
12-04-2014, 01:26 PM
Guess your right... tbh all the writers so far have written good and bad... In some ways... Darby although made two great stories... There were problems with them. Corey I think made some mistakes with AC3. Yohalem made a mistake with ACB, and Richard made a mistake with liberation.... I guess the guy for unity is the only one who has not done the best job...

I don't see why he is even there... They have so many writers for assassins creed now why would they need someone new...
I think Alex Amancio wrote the outline of Unity's story and each sequence and Travis Stout just had to clean it up. Amancio with another narrative masterstroke after making TLA dlc.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Darby can not even write a proper Templar...Laureano Torres and Ahmet were BOOOOOORIIIIING.

And Darby hates the modern-day section. I want someone who sees the potential in Juno's saga.

Have Darby write the Assassins...

Have Corey write the Templars...

Problem solved. :cool:

Yes, I know it's not that simple because of Corey and all...

ze_topazio
12-04-2014, 01:52 PM
I would like to see the dude who wrote Rogue working on a main game, I would like to see what he can do with a longer story.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 01:59 PM
I would like to see the dude who wrote Rogue working on a main game, I would like to see what he can do with a longer story.

He's the same dude who wrote liberation... -__-

It's hit or miss with him.

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 02:09 PM

The main writer of Liberation was Jill Murray I believe. I haven't played Liberation so have no opinion on the writing, but I liked Freedom Cry a lot so would be optimistic were she the writer.

And she very well might be. She's Ubi Quebec's lead writer I think - as we've heard they are the ones working on the game.

ze_topazio
12-04-2014, 02:13 PM

He didn't wrote that alone, and Liberation was even more limited than Rogue, that would be like judging Darby based on Bloodlines and Discovery, I don't dislike Liberation story btw, it's nothing to write home about but I don't dislike it.

And remember how Liberation won the "Writers Guild Award for Outstanding Video Game Writing", wiping the floor with AC3 which was also nominated.

The main writer of Liberation was Jill Murray I believe. I haven't played Liberation so have no opinion on the writing, but I liked Freedom Cry a lot so would be optimistic were she the writer.

And she very well might be. She's Ubi Quebec's lead writer I think - as we've heard they are the ones working on the game.

Indeed, there's a great possibility of her being involved with this, I would like to see what she can do with a longer story too.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 02:18 PM
And remember how Liberation won the "Writers Guild Award for Outstanding Video Game Writing", wiping the floor with AC3 which was also nominated.

Liberation didn't deserve that award and everyone knows it.

I'd love to do a breakdown demonstrating just how bad the plot is.

It probably got the award for some shallow unrelated reason like having a female protagonist.

AC4 may not have the most original story arc, but it's so well crafted (hands down the best crafted AC story to date), and again it's just so beautifully told and written.

It was a good story, yes.

But I'd hardly call it an ASSASSIN's CREED story.

And there lies the problem to me.

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 02:22 PM
How was Rogues plot by the way? The best? Pretty good?

I've played up to sequence 2 and to be honest Shay's questioning of the Brotherhood seems rather ham fisted.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 02:22 PM
He didn't wrote that alone, and Liberation was even more limited than Rogue, that would be like judging Darby based on Bloodlines and Discovery, I don't dislike Liberation story btw, it's nothing to write home about but I don't dislike it.

...You have a point. Sure, why not? :)

I'm not against him either, just skeptical as all as I loved Rogue, but was meh about Liberation. -__-

But like you said, it was limited.

CoachAssassin
12-04-2014, 02:24 PM

It probably got the award for some shallow unrelated reason like having a female protagonist.

AC:IV was more or less a fresh look on it all, but it was very much so about the inner conflict and the effects of a creed etc.

I'm thinking Darby won't write Victory, Quebec is the lead iirc, so that means they will put up a lead writer. He will be consulted as usual though, at least that seems normal and smart.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 02:24 PM

I've played up to sequence 2 and to be honest Shay's questioning of the Brotherhood seems rather ham fisted.

Pretty good, imo.

It's all your interpretation...it seems like what you said at first, but he appears more justified as the story goes on.

ze_topazio
12-04-2014, 02:26 PM

1 Probably

2 That's possible.

VoXngola
12-04-2014, 03:31 PM
If Darby is the lead writer my danba banga will feel funny.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 03:36 PM
As someone said, all the writers have been hit-and-miss so far.

Corey wrote the brilliant AC1 and the abysmal AC3.

Darby wrote the bland Revelations and the decent AC4.

Yohalem wrote the intriguing Lost Archive and the Disney-esque ACB.

Jill Murray wrote the meh Liberation but Freedom Cry was great.

I'd rather see new writers step up to the fold as none of the old ones have had a consistently solid run. I'm one of the seemingly few who liked Unity's story, and apparently Rogue has a good script as well (so I've heard). Better for new talent to get a chance to show their ideas than for old writers to keep getting called back to AC when they'd rather move on to other projects.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 03:43 PM
Whether they wrote something good or not is all subjective anyways...

But I'm with SK about the idea of new writers each AC.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 03:52 PM

freakin amazing.

possible favorite AC plot so far.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Keep in mind there's a difference between plot and writing. The plot of ACB was "master assassin builds up a brotherhood, single-handedly takes down one of the most powerful and corrupt rulers in history". Sounds amazing, right? The writing turned it into "Ezio takes on the Borgias with a bunch of hobos he picked off the street while Cesare cries a lot".

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:01 PM
Keep in mind there's a difference between plot and writing. The plot of ACB was "master assassin builds up a brotherhood, single-handedly takes down one of the most powerful and corrupt rulers in history". Sounds amazing, right? The writing turned it into "Ezio takes on the Borgias with a bunch of hobos he picked off the street while Cesare cries a lot".

true, true.

sometimes when I explain myself, i communicate what I'm trying to say poorly.

MIA SILENT
12-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Yeah the subject matter is really interesting but the writing is hit and miss. And when it's come the modern day plot it's flat out miss.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:07 PM
i will say I don't like the premise of unity.

and it was waaaay too fast paced for me to attach myself to the characters.

king-hailz
12-04-2014, 04:10 PM
i will say I don't like the premise of unity.

and it was waaaay too fast paced for me to attach myself to the characters.

Yeah in your language then I will say that unity has a bad plot... its kinda boring... They need a good plot with good writing! I think had great writing and the plot was ok too.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 04:15 PM
The plot was all right, the relationship between Arno and Élise just wasn't deep enough, which kind of dragged the rest down since that was supposed to be the main focus. It was sold as a love story but I just didn't care about the two as a couple. They were more interesting on their own than together.

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:25 PM
The plot was all right, the relationship between Arno and Élise just wasn't deep enough, which kind of dragged the rest down since that was supposed to be the main focus. It was sold as a love story but I just didn't care about the two as a couple. They were more interesting on their own than together.

The plot boiled down to revenge/redemption + complex love story which was done to death so much in videogames already (and already done in AC too). Frankly, i expected more from Ubisoft.

rprkjj
12-04-2014, 11:33 PM
I would have originally wanted Darby, who wrote my favorite AC story and protag, but after replaying AC1 I would love to see the philosophical dialogue delved into again by Corey May. Darby would probably be the safest bet though.

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 11:43 PM
^ Dat quote tho. :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 12:30 AM

What about the story makes it barely an Assassin's Creed story? The games are called Assassin'S CREED (emphasis on ze Creed), not Assassin Warrior that fights in the name of liberty and freedom.

Edward's early motivations weren't align with the Assassins, but his story wasn't worth any less of the Assassin's Creed title than say AC:2, B, R, or 3. Even Unity. TBH, I'll make the argument that Assassin's Creed IV is the closest story we've got to AC:1. Why? Because the Creed is actually a plot point. AC:IV is about why the Creed is important. It questions its integrity. Edward is like Altair in which they start to grow and learn of its worth.

In AC:2, the Assassin's Creed was only uttered once during Ezio's ceremony at the end. In AC:B, it's a means of recruitment. In AC:R, it's mentioned at the very end. And in AC:3, it's absent. In AC:IV, it actually plays a role in Edward's story and progression.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSfw5R3sWos

Darby writes hands down the most beautiful and coherent AC stories.

ACR while has got some very weird and out of place action set-pieces (I'm not sure how responsible he was for them, though) is an awesome story about three Assassins from different time periods with the help of each other figuring out what to do with their fate and duty as an Assassin, and they all get to different decisions. It's beautiful.

*claps*

In Derpy, we trust.

Altair1789
12-05-2014, 12:42 AM
I think Haytham's voice actor will be the antagonist. At a convention he said he can do many British accents, and is doing one for an upcoming game he can't talk about. I sure as hell hope Darby and Corey write Victory. I can't take another "plot" like Unity's

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 12:46 AM
I think Haytham's voice actor will be the antagonist. At a convention he said he can do many British accents, and is doing one for an upcoming game he can't talk about. I sure as hell hope Darby and Corey write Victory. I can't take another "plot" like Unity's

Imagine Haytham's voice in Victory? XD

1000/10

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 12:47 AM
Victory's hype just gone from 10/10 to over 100/10.

Victorian London, Darby McDevitt, and Andrian Hough? I'ma cry. It's all too good to be true.

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Victory's hype just gone from 10/10 to over 100/10.

Victorian London, Darby McDevitt, and Andrian Hough? I'ma cry. It's all too good to be true.

And Lorne Balfe?

*Faints*

ze_topazio
12-05-2014, 12:53 AM
What about the story makes it barely an Assassin's Creed story? The games are called Assassin'S CREED (emphasis on ze Creed), not Assassin Warrior that fights in the name of liberty and freedom.

Edward's motivations weren't align with the Assassins, but his story wasn't worth any less of the Assassin's Creed title than say AC:2, B, R, or 3. Even Unity. TBH, I'll make the argument that Assassin's Creed IV is the closest story we've got to AC:1. Why? Because the Creed is actually a plot point. AC:IV is about why the Creed is important. It questions its integrity. Edward is like Altair in which they start to grow and learn of its worth.

In AC:2, the Assassin's Creed was only uttered once during Ezio's ceremony at the end. In AC:B, it's a means of recruitment. In AC:R, it's mentioned at the very end. And in AC:3, it's absent. In AC:IV, it actually plays a role in Edward's story and progression.

Also:

*claps*

In Derpy, we trust.

My creed is a secret.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/07a510b4511d87125d4daa894a3d600a/tumblr_n2hds3pZs11r0wlweo2_r1_500.gif

Altair1789
12-05-2014, 01:05 AM
And Lorne Balfe?

*Faints*
I hope so. Assassin's Creed Unity has taught me a very important lesson: Don't judge a book by its 1 million trailers and promises. If both Darby and Corey contribute to the story, I think that'd be ideal for me, as I loved AC3's story

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 01:11 AM
I hope so. Assassin's Creed Unity has taught me a very important lesson: Don't judge a book by its 1 million trailers and promises. If both Darby and Corey contribute to the story, I think that'd be ideal for me, as I loved AC3's story

Same here friend, Same here. ^^

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 01:15 AM
And Lorne Balfe?

*Faints*

NO, STAHP. I MIGHT DIE OF HYPE.

My creed is a secret.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/07a510b4511d87125d4daa894a3d600a/tumblr_n2hds3pZs11r0wlweo2_r1_500.gif

NEIN

https://benigmatica.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/love-live-s2-13-08.jpg?w=512&h=288

DavisP92
12-05-2014, 01:20 AM
Okay so why is every so excited about Darby? Who wrote the stories for all the AC games? Personally, I only liked AC2's story (back in 09) and AC1's story (atmosphere and assassins feel too). Personally, I didn't care for the story in Brotherhood, Rev., 3, Black Flag, or Unity. All of them were a let down imo. Black Flag being the one that was the least assassin like, which is why i like the games. So story wise for an AC game it probably is the worst but if it was it's own game it would be one of the top.

oh side note:
Can we stop starting the stories with something tragic happening. 8 games in and it kinda get overused. How about something different. Like you're a homeless kid (since people like starting as a kid) and you get caught pickpocketing an assassin and boom your recruited. Don't see your family or friends die, just a nice start. But obviously make it interesting and fun.

How many times can we see a family member die before we stop caring?

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 01:23 AM
NO, STAHP. I MIGHT DIE OF HYPE.

THE HYPE SHALL CONSUME YOU. :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 01:24 AM
Like you're a homeless kid (since people like starting as a kid) and you get caught pickpocketing an assassin and boom your recruited. Don't see your family or friends die, just a nice start. But obviously make it interesting and fun.

Isn't that like the beginning plot point in AC:Brahman?

ze_topazio
12-05-2014, 01:28 AM
NEIN

https://benigmatica.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/love-live-s2-13-08.jpg?w=512&h=288

http://i.minus.com/iKrCQsXSuis3Z.gif

Xstantin
12-05-2014, 01:37 AM
oh side note:
Can we stop starting the stories with something tragic happening. 8 games in and it kinda get overused. How about something different. Like you're a homeless kid (since people like starting as a kid) and you get caught pickpocketing an assassin and boom your recruited. Don't see your family or friends die, just a nice start. But obviously make it interesting and fun.

How many times can we see a family member die before we stop caring?

Still gonna play like the origin/initiation story we've had before :p

DavisP92
12-05-2014, 01:38 AM
Isn't that like the beginning plot point in AC:Brahman?

Guessing that's the indian AC comic. Never read so i wouldn't know. But if it is, then something like that for the game would be cool.

Still gonna play like the origin/initiation story we've had before :p

Agh idk lol. Just something different, that's what AC needs. Something different that's good and fun. Co-op was different but they didn't do it right. Hopefully AC:Reign (not calling it Victory) will have a co-op story

Xstantin
12-05-2014, 01:46 AM
AC Reign has a nice ring to it btw

Matt.mc
12-05-2014, 01:51 AM
My favourite thing about Revelations was the story/script so this makes me happy. Now! We need Jesper Kyd to come back!

Wolfmeister1010
12-05-2014, 01:56 AM

First Dialogue:

"MY NAME IS SHAY. AND THIS IS MY STORY"

Anyway, I don't want a whole other "tragic start". I want to see them make a character who starts just for a reason like he uncovers the assassins in studies somehow and wants to join, maybe he is born into it like Altair.

The main thing should be that the emotional part of the story shouldn't be an actual thing until later. Not "AC4" late, but like, after the character and his background and his story and assassin hood have been established.

Then I wouldn't care if he was another white stubble guy

Matt.mc
12-05-2014, 02:09 AM
I would love for them to be born into it like Altair OR join because they want to be an Assassin, not for a personal vendetta, like Ezio, Conner, Ed and Arno. Because that's what he want to play as! an Assassin! Not a person that's using the Assassin's for their own means. I cant tell you how many times I disagreed with Arno's decisions throughout Unity, it makes the character very annoying to play, like Nico Belleck in GTAIV, he was such a *****, I couldn't play through that game.

Megas_Doux
12-05-2014, 02:36 AM
AC II´s story is as cliche as one can possibly get, however the narrative was pretty good and also the non existent exhaustion is to be thanked for its reception, truth be told.

Thing is 2015 is three weeks away, annual releases made writers run out of ideas and fans of excitement.....

Oh! And AC IV probably has the best combo of story, pacing and VA.

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 03:14 AM
I would love for them to be born into it like Altair OR join because they want to be an Assassin, not for a personal vendetta, like Ezio, Conner, Ed and Arno. Because that's what he want to play as! an Assassin! Not a person that's using the Assassin's for their own means. I cant tell you how many times I disagreed with Arno's decisions throughout Unity, it makes the character very annoying to play, like Nico Belleck in GTAIV, he was such a *****, I couldn't play through that game.

Edward? Nah, he joined because he DID want to become an Assassin. After all that has happened, Edward have grown to begin understanding the Order and their Creed. The following 3-4 assassinations after his revelation are proof of his conviction in the order. Remember the white room with Torres? That was an awesome speech.

I know what you mean and all, but Edward is not a good example. :p

DavisP92
12-05-2014, 03:56 AM
AC II´s story is as cliche as one can possibly get, however the narrative was pretty good and also the non existent exhaustion is to be thanked for its reception, truth be told.

Thing is 2015 is three weeks away, annual releases made writers run out of ideas and fans of excitement.....

Oh! And AC IV probably has the best combo of story, pacing and VA.

Idk about the pacing, since i do everything in the game before finishing the story (normally). AC2 was cliche but not really in 2009, back then that was the first AC game where your family died. 6 games later it's different. oh and like i said, AC4 was the only game where you weren't really an assassin at all. The game isn't really a story about the assassins but more about Edward. And that's cool, but i like the assassins and want more of a story about them.

AC Reign has a nice ring to it btw

Right, haha thanks. I figured since another name for the Victorian Era is the Reign of Queen Victoria, Reign sounded cool.

Assassin's Creed: Reign > Assassin's Creed: Victory

We could even have the first trailer with some heavy rain fall so it works with the title

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 04:20 AM
Idk about the pacing, since i do everything in the game before finishing the story (normally). AC2 was cliche but not really in 2009, back then that was the first AC game where your family died. 6 games later it's different.

It was still cliche 5 years ago. Not for the franchise, but for narrative, in general. That's something the franchise have always suffered from.

oh and like i said, AC4 was the only game where you weren't really an assassin at all. The game isn't really a story about the assassins but more about Edward. And that's cool, but i like the assassins and want more of a story about them.

Disagree.

Ezio was barely an Assassin in AC:2 either. Like Edward, he simply wore the robe, have gone pirating, and assassinated people for his own personal goal. It was until sequence 14, that he got the title. In AC:IV, Edward became an Assassin in sequence 10. In fact, Ezio got 1 target as an Assassin (which he didn't even kill) while Edward got 3-4. So really, AC:IV was more of an Assassin game than 2.

And that's without mentioning the Creed. The Assassin's Creed *cough*the franchise's title*cough* was more prevalent in AC:IV than AC:2.

Honestly, AC:IV is actually more fitting for the Assassin's Creed title than AC:2. :p

MakimotoJin
12-05-2014, 04:25 AM
Hate me if you want,but who's Darby and which ACs did he work on?

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 04:30 AM
Hate me if you want,but who's Darby and which ACs did he work on?

Darby McDevitt's the writer of AC:Revelations and Black Flag.

Here're some podcasts with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-CEHSGcxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkHHHxEcDJ8

Journey93
12-05-2014, 04:33 AM
this is good news for me
AC IV's story was freaking awesome
whoever wrote Unity should never be near anything AC story related again..

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 04:39 AM
It was still cliche 5 years ago. Not for the franchise, but for narrative, in general. That's something the franchise have always suffered from.

Disagree.

Ezio was barely an Assassin in AC:2 either. Like Edward, he simply wore the robe, have gone pirating, and assassinated people for his own personal goal. It was until sequence 14, that he got the title. In AC:IV, Edward became an Assassin in sequence 10. In fact, Ezio got 1 target as an Assassin (which he didn't even kill) while Edward got 3-4. So really, AC:IV was more of an Assassin game than 2.

And that's without mentioning the Creed. The Assassin's Creed *cough*the franchise's title*cough* was more prevalent in AC:IV than AC:2.

Honestly, AC:IV is actually more fitting for the Assassin's Creed title than AC:2. :p

Fatal, why do you bother? :rolleyes:

It clearly isn't gonna his opinion, just leave it...

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 04:42 AM
Fatal, why do you bother? :rolleyes:

It clearly isn't gonna his opinion, just leave it...

Nuhhh, he seems cool. Some people just need a reminder.

MakimotoJin
12-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Darby McDevitt's the writer of AC:Revelations and Black Flag.

Here're some podcasts with him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-CEHSGcxs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkHHHxEcDJ8

Thank you,kind sir.He seems like a cool guy.

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 04:52 AM
Nuhhh, he seems cool. Some people just need a reminder.

If you say so... :rolleyes:

DavisP92
12-05-2014, 05:05 AM

Disagree.

true i have to agree with you there... I guess it's more of a hit or miss for me then. The beginning is pretty much what i liked in AC2, Since I was about the same age as Ezio back then i guess it hit me more.

yea that's another valid point, but with Ezio he was trained from the get go by assassin while edward had his own training (he did get somethings from them but the majority was his own pirate skills)

I haven't played AC2 in a while but didn't they teach you the creed in the beginning through the training and then restate it at the end when you were officially an assassin? Either way the creed was more mentioned in AC4's story because of mary (right?) but it never felt like Edward cared for it till the end. Ade was more of the embodiment of an assassin and the creed. Oh Ade

Edit: AC just needs the writers of the Last of Us, that'll be perfect. A fu**** up story that'll crush your hopes and dreams but still a great story lol

Fatal-Feit
12-05-2014, 07:03 AM
true i have to agree with you there... I guess it's more of a hit or miss for me then. The beginning is pretty much what i liked in AC2, Since I was about the same age as Ezio back then i guess it hit me more.

Yeah, some of the best things about Assassin's Creed are relating to the many protagonists in some kind of way. This is why I prefer they mix it up and go for originality than copy and paste the good old charismatic lady's man persona.

I just hope to god Victory's protagonist isn't teased like how Edward and Arno are in the trailers. I really, really hope not.

yea that's another valid point, but with Ezio he was trained from the get go by assassin while edward had his own training (he did get somethings from them but the majority was his own pirate skills)

That's true, but I don't see it as anything bad. The implementation of pirates and their creed are why AC:IV is original. It's a unique spin that was executed pretty well. Hell, despite its shift in narrative, it still executed the Assassin's Creed title A LOT better than most of its predecessors. That's why it's so good.

I haven't played AC2 in a while but didn't they teach you the creed in the beginning through the training and then restate it at the end when you were officially an assassin? Either way the creed was more mentioned in AC4's story because of mary (right?) but it never felt like Edward cared for it till the end. Ade was more of the embodiment of an assassin and the creed. Oh Ade

The Assassin's Creed was only mentioned once, which was at the very end before Ezio's last attempt in assassinating Rodrigo. There was no philosophy or background on it, either. It was just... reiterated for his ceremony. All in all, AC:2 is a story about Ezio's revenge, not so much the Creed or Assassins.

Edward's relationship with the Creed is much like Altair's. Mary mentioned it in the early sequences and Edward used it as an excuse. A means for piracy (much like how Altair used it as a means to kill or do whatever he wanted). Everything is permitted, lul. Around sequence 10, after his revelation, Edward spoke with Ah Tabai again about the Creed. The conversation really showed how Edward have matured and started to understand the order and their Creed (yes, rephrased from muh earlier post). Revelations was the closest we've gotten to something like that, and it was, again, at the very end of the game before Ezio retired.

Darby (the writer) talks about it a little in this video (lul, 3rd time posting on one thread).

crusader_prophet
12-05-2014, 08:00 AM
UbiSoft needs to hire writers like Amy Hennig or Ken Levine

Namikaze_17
12-05-2014, 08:13 AM
I just hope to god Victory's protagonist isn't teased like how Edward and Arno are in the trailers. I really, really hope not.

Same here, friend.

No more Revenge/Redemption storylines. -__-

Shahkulu101
12-05-2014, 09:43 AM
UbiSoft needs to hire writers like Amy Hennig or Ken Levine

Please no Ken Levine. The writing's pretentious enough already.