PDA

View Full Version : Your quick opinions on Unity (NO SPOILERS)

xboxauditore
12-03-2014, 07:47 PM
So, even a veteran of AC like myself knows that approaching very game with cautious optimism is the best way to go about it, but what happened with Unity? Without giving me spoilers about the story as i don't have it just yet, could you guys just give me a quick summary of what YOU as a player thought, i never read reviews because i think the best reviews come from us, the players.

So, yeah basically, you like it? What was good, what was bad? Would you play it again?

wvstolzing
12-03-2014, 07:53 PM
*FOR ME*, AC is a vehicle for 'virtual tourism'; in that respect I absolutely loved it ---- well worth the price of admission for the city and the 1:1 monuments alone. (A favorite pastime of mine is to listen to audiobooks while running on rooftops in AC)

By far the most frustrating aspect, for me, is the companion app and initiates.

I can't comment on gameplay aspects, or even the story, because at this point I'm entirely indifferent to both in AC.

xboxauditore
12-03-2014, 07:58 PM
What's wrong with the Companion apps and Initiates? Are they used more than usual?

wvstolzing
12-03-2014, 08:03 PM
Check out some of the threads dedicated to both. Basically, the initiates site (& the stats it's supposed to hold) is still broken, and the companion app is (ab)used in utterly absurd ways; needlessly locking out items and extra missions (the latter of which is required for 100% completion) behind tedious minigames, and unable to reliably sync with the main game.

melbye82
12-03-2014, 09:00 PM
There is a lot of awesome buried by silly gameplay-mechanic changes and outside applications, especially the companion-app that is required if you are going to get 100%. I am also fundamentaly against co-op. so there is that

Megas_Doux
12-03-2014, 09:07 PM
Quick thoughts:

1 I despise the state in which it was released, framerate and comp add failures alike.
2 Paris is breathtaking; crowds, scale and overall design, love every inch of it. I wish there was some accesible countryside surrounding it, though..
3 I enjoy its mission design, parkour and combat. For the first time, there is somewhat of a challenge.
4 The story is meh! However Iīm not much of a story guy.
5 I miss details like horses, snow- better implemented weather in general- and background music. The latterīs absence is not that severe for me considering how loud and alive Paris is, but still.
6 The rifts/anomalies were really good. I dream of more events/eras like the viking raids and even Roman Paris.
7 Customization is great! Sometimes I cant decide which combo of outfit and weapon to wear.

The game reminds me of AC I, for I think despite its flaws, I liked the overall approach of the game.

DumbGamerTag94
12-03-2014, 09:14 PM
Over all Unity was a pretty solid game for me. I would give it a solid 8/10. I'll elaborate more on that later with a full breakdown and review

D.I.D.
12-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Requires a lot of forgiveness, more than any normal player should have to forgive, but if you do then it's great.

Played it on PC with a 4GB GTX 770, which easily manages 30fps at 1440p with everything maxed except shadows (High rather than Soft). Looks great, but everything can be maxed in full at 1080p and get a nicer frame rate. I found myself drifting between the two. I can't vouch for console performance, which is apparently sub-30fps at 900p. It's very good-looking, and I'm constantly swinging my viewpoint when walking along rooftops to make the most enjoyable view of Ambient Occlusion effect as the setting sun breaks around a group of chimneys, or getting the sunlight to catch the semi-reflective roof tiles in a pleasing way. HUD is a mess, but at least you can narrow that down. You'll probably find that in order to get rid of one thing that annoys you, you have to lose something else you would have liked to keep.

The city is kind of like ACII/ACB main cities, in that it has distinct areas and you'd know pretty much where you are on the map just from looking at your surroundings in most places. There are underground tunnels everywhere, which make many of the missions more interesting because you can often find secret entrances via the sewers. It's nice that you actually make these journey's yourself now, instead of watching an Ezio cutscene, and they're a considerable step-up from the tunnels Connor used to walk.

It really doesn't work if you blast through the story. The game gives you the freedom to attack any of its missions in any order, aside from the ones that unlock in response to your progress/status. I would strongly advise playing side content as much as possible, with an eye on the fact that there's a hierarchy in that side content. Murder mysteries are interesting, but the best side missions are mainly in Co-op, Heists, and Paris Stories.

The best parts are the missions into any well-guarded place. You're just given the objective, sometimes a few supplemental points of interest are hinted at, and then it's up to you to find a way in. This is great to see. Obviously, the freedom to attack the missions in different ways means that it's possible to have a less exciting time with a mission than someone else, or even yourself on a different playthrough. During my second run, I was finding that some missions had played out in more entertaining ways in one playthrough than another, certainly. It's also true that someone could just truck through to the target and kill them, and wonder what was so special about the layout that someone else loved, and that's because it rewards your willingness to engage with it. The game wants you to feel like an assassin - to want to get through unseen, to kill as few people as possible, to run away from trouble and approach from a new and surprising direction to recover your advantage. However, players who carry their old expectations into Unity (walk in bold as you like, fight as many people as you have to) are not going to have the best time. This game expects you to lose, to employ trial and error, and to refine your playing so that in the later missions you will be just as methodical and clean on your first try as you were on your 6th attempt of a mission in the earlier part of the game.

You have to get used to a few idiosyncrasies in movement. Parkour is better than ever, but there are a few caveats. You'll experience a kind of aversion therapy in the early stages, learning never to do things that make something unpleasant happen, until the game is no longer putting a fork in your brain. Later on, this will become so rote that you'll forget there was ever a problem, and tell people on this forum that they must be stupid or something if they complain about the issues. The snap-to-cover system is a bit odd, and it can be very temperamental about sticking and unsticking Arno to the scenery. Sometimes it works really well, but there will certainly be times when you were doing a perfect stealth run and it all goes wrong because the guards suddenly became aware of their weird guy wiggling at the wall. Also, you can't move from plane to plane around a solid object while snapped to it. To go around the corner of a table, you have to stand up, walk around, crouch, and try and snap in again. A lot of movement snags like this making Arno look very robotic at times, and disrupt the elegance in movement that you'd like to see in AC. I'm also beginning to wish I could burn and permanently destroy the few remaining haycarts. Aside from the ridiculousness of finding impossible haycarts on the middle roofs of places like Notre Dame Cathedral, I've had a few instances of, for example, making a perfect stealth route to the only open upper floor window to a heist, only for the game to throw me into a ground level haycart surrounded by courtyard guards and an alarm bell instead of taking me from the roof to the wall.

Generally, it's great how much skill is needed now.Agile running matters, because you'll need it to escape enemies firing at you. Timing matters in combat, aim is essential in most shooting because quickfire only wears enemies down and buys you time, and Eagle Vision is essential to keep sampling the dangers around you and reacting accordingly.

TL;DR - Best of the series, great fun, some hassles, gives back what you're prepared to put in. This game is setting up a new play style for the future, and you'll have to figure out what that it and engage with it. Worth it.