PDA

View Full Version : Unity's Ending isn't That Bad... (Massive Spoiler - obviously)

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Yes, we can look at it as another female character dying - and say "Oh how predictable" but looking at HOW she died, the way things actually went down instead of snapping at the circumstance - it's really not all bad.

She doesn't die in service to Arno, a poor innocent thing not strong enough to survive. No, she meets her fate because she leaves Arno for dead. That's right, revenge is more important for Elise. She loves Arno, but her independent goals are more important to her. We know she's willing to die to get revenge, which is precisely what happens. If you read her final letter it tells us that she's prepared to die and that she doesn't want Arno to keep worrying about her. That last bit is important, because Arno is far too worked up over Elise, even when she tells him to leave her and catch Germain after the King's execution he doesn't listen. He's far too enamoured by her to the point where he appears patronising towards her. He's like a lost puppy doing everything he does to win her affection. Basically, Arno is Elise's *****. If that were Elise under the rubble, no doubt Germain would have got away because Arno tried to save her. And no doubt she'd berate him furiously for it. I believe the ending proves what a strong character Elise is, in the end her goals are achieved and it was down to her decision to let her male counterpart potentially die.

Barring her dubious English accent, Elise is a great character. And the ending emphasises that.

neddiggis
12-03-2014, 07:15 PM
My issue is more one of the assassins.

He was booted from the brotherhood, yet retains access to the batcave etc and there is no closure of him being welcomed back. It's implied, he gets a master assassin costume, but never said how or why.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 07:19 PM
My issue is more one of the assassins.

He was booted from the brotherhood, yet retains access to the batcave etc and there is no closure of him being welcomed back. It's implied, he gets a master assassin costume, but never said how or why.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing to be honest. Maybe the DLC will clear that up?

I guess the Assassin's would be willing to take him back since he took down Germain - with Elise's help of course.

VestigialLlama4
12-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Yes, we can look at it as another female character dying - and say "Oh how predictable" but looking at HOW she died, the way things actually went down instead of snapping at the circumstance - it's really not all bad.

She doesn't die in service to Arno, a poor innocent thing not strong enough to survive. No, she meets her fate because she leaves Arno for dead. That's right, revenge is more important for Elise. She loves Arno, but her independent goals are more important to her. We know she's willing to die to get revenge, which is precisely what happens. If you read her final letter it tells us that she's prepared to die and that she doesn't want Arno to keep worrying about her. That last bit is important, because Arno is far too worked up over Elise, even when she tells him to leave her and catch Germain after the King's execution he doesn't listen. He's far too enamoured by her to the point where he appears patronising towards her. He's like a lost puppy doing everything he does to win her affection. Basically, Arno is Elise's *****. If that were Elise under the rubble, no doubt Germain would have got away because Arno tried to save her. And no doubt she'd berate him furiously for it. I believe the ending proves what a strong character Elise is, in the end her goals are achieved and it was down to her decision to let her male counterpart potentially die.

Barring her dubious English accent, Elise is a great character. And the ending emphasises that.

I think people want to idealize and deny the plain truth that the ending was gratuitous.

The fact is Unity as a story wanted to create a false sense of tragedy that the story doesn't merit. Their theme is "fanaticism" or "extremism", with the hero Arno conveniently being the only guy with nothing personal at stake beyond some notion of "Redemption" which never made sense to me. He survives because he's Market-Friendly-Ezio-Clone since he didn't have anything at stake and he spouts this bilge of a speech at the end learning lessons that are not merited by his actions. Ideally if the game wanted to make a real statement against revenge and fanaticism, having Elise fail at achieving it is the wrong message. The message that comes is "next time you get a shot to kill the bad guy, don't waste time in pulling out your loser boyfriend, getting into messes and being bailed out by you is the crux of your entire relationship".

What it should have been is that Elise goes after Germain kills him and turns and finds out that Arno died when another rock fell on him while she was fighting, that would have had a message against fanaticism. Who knows, maybe Elise feeling that the Templars have been corrupted beyond hope decides that she'll be an Assassin, since we don't have too many stories of Templars becoming Assassins, the only one was Maria Thorpe. And before people bring up the Animus, Black Flag gave them the option of using a Blood Vial(a device that stores blood forever which allows DNA that can be accessed by the updated Animus), it was a real-life romantic tradition(albeit slightly creepy) of preserving blood in trinkets of your loved ones at their death. They could have had us played Arno till the moment of his death(something that I think would be pretty cool).

In any case, UNITY has given the writers a host of problems. If they continue with Arno, eventually they'll have to find out what to do with his personality. If they make him an Ezio-style lothario fans will not like him disrespecting the love of his life. If they make him find true love again, then that new character will have to be as original or interesting as Elise. So they really shot themselves in the foot with their own choices, since there's nowhere Arno can go as a character after the game, whereas Elise had more possibilities.

Xstantin
12-03-2014, 07:27 PM
^Or they forgive everything cause he managed to get that Carneillon's set.
About Elise - I agree, but I guess a lot of people won't look at it that way

Farlander1991
12-03-2014, 07:30 PM
I believe the ending proves what a strong character Elise is, in the end her goals are achieved and it was down to her decision to let her male counterpart potentially die.

Elise though knew that Arno wouldn't die. This article (http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/21/assassins-creed-unity-elise-writing-pc-ps4-xbox-one/) explains that point of view quite nicely.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 07:35 PM
You're right, Elise killing him Germain and Arno dying would be much better. And I agree that they could have done much more with Elise after it.

But er...Germain had a working Sword of Eden. Would have been a bit difficult for her. :p And I think Arno took a turn for the ole' wise and stoic schtick. You can tell from the cutscene with Napoleon at the end really. Oh and Dead Kings, just look at the cover. He's all bearded and menacing - something tells me we'll be in for a bit of an Aiden Pearce for Arno. He'll be serious, moody and devoid of personality in an attempt to pass as interesting and edgy.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 07:45 PM
Elise though knew that Arno wouldn't die. This article (http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/21/assassins-creed-unity-elise-writing-pc-ps4-xbox-one/) explains that point of view quite nicely.

Very nice article, pretty much what I was trying to say but I'm not as eloquent or concise. You're right though, I misinterpreted that bit so my bad.

FilipinoNinja67
12-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Dead Kings would be a great opportunity to introduce The Shroud for the first time in the actual games. I thought Elise was a much more interesting character than Arno and I hated the ending.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 07:56 PM
Dead Kings would be a great opportunity to introduce The Shroud for the first time in the actual games. I thought Elise was a much more interesting character than Arno and I hated the ending.

I think you should read the article Farlander posted above. It explains how the circumstances of her death adds to her strength of character. It's not another case of a female character being fridged for the male character. It's more complicated than that.

JustPlainQuirky
12-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Dramatic predictable sacrifice aside, she had little time to develop her character (she was only really explored for two sequences) so her death IMO meant nothing.

And my biggest gripe with the ending isn't her death. It's the thing with the MD.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 08:00 PM
Dramatic predictable sacrifice aside, she had little time to develop her character (she was only really explored for two sequences) so her death IMO meant nothing.

And my biggest gripe with the ending isn't her death. It's the thing with the MD.

What even happened with the MD? I guess you're annoyed at how obscure it was if I can't even remember it having just finished it. :p

king-hailz
12-03-2014, 09:00 PM
It would have been better if she left arno instead... but your right in that way it is not bad... but there is more to the ending then that and it was terrible...

king-hailz
12-03-2014, 09:01 PM

That's how I felt with ziio and many other character in AC3...

king-hailz
12-03-2014, 09:03 PM
The problem that AC stories recently has been leaving too much to the players imagination!

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 09:09 PM

PREACH my sister. :p

The problem that AC stories recently has been leaving too much to the players imagination!

I don't understand...

You say recent tragedies/deaths are dramatic and predictable, yet the deaths of Ezio's family are even more so. :rolleyes:

PedroAntonio2
12-03-2014, 09:19 PM
My major problem with the ending it's how rushed it was...you don't get to see the Reign of Terror well and they used the period a lot in the trailers...remember Arno saying '' One thousand Terrors I mean to cure...day by day...street by street...Templar by Templar!'' and other trailers focusing in this period. Robespierre had a lot of potential to be the greatest villain the franchise, as an fanatical Assassin...but instead he just works for Germain and he is boring.

And Arno lacked of emotion when Elise died...he just stared her, then he slowly killed Germain, talked to him, after that he just keep staring at Elise and go away carrying her body.

The only thing that I liked about this ending is Arno's speech...but it didn't make a lot of sense, how did he rejoin the Assassins ? Why Napoleon went with him to the Temple ? What is Arno fighting for now, considering how Elise was his motivation to join the Assassin and redeem himself so she could forgive him ?

And the modern day ending s*cks. ''' ooooh, I'm sorry we wasted your time searching for the Sage's body, but we don't need it anymore, goodbye!'', just return with a good modern day protagonist next year, Ubisoft!

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 09:21 PM
That's not a bad thing at all. Good stories leave things open to interpretation, they don't spoon-feed the player. That said, Unity's story was luckluster - but I feel the ending gets undue flack. People latch on to the fact that a female character has died and how that's so predictable etc. and letting the fact that Elise was independent and capable character fly over their head. And the ending doesn't contradict that, it emphasizes it.

My major problem with the ending it's how rushed it was...you don't get to see the Reign of Terror well and they used the period a lot in the trailers...remember Arno saying '' One thousand Terrors I mean to cure...day by day...street by street...Templar by Templar!'' and other trailers focusing in this period. Robespierre had a lot of potential to be the greatest villain the franchise, as an fanatical Assassin...but instead he just works for Germain and he is boring.

And Arno lacked of emotion when Elise died...he just stared her, then he slowly killed Germain, talked to him, after that he just keep staring at Elise and go away carrying her body.

The only thing that I liked about this ending is Arno's speech...but it didn't make a lot of sense, how did he rejoin the Assassins ? Why Napoleon went with him to the Temple ? What is Arno fighting for now, considering how Elise was his motivation to join the Assassin and redeem himself so she could forgive him ?

And the modern day ending s*cks. ''' ooooh, I'm sorry we wasted your time searching for the Sage's body, but we don't need it anymore, goodbye!'', just return with a good modern day protagonist next year, Ubisoft!

You don't exactly need to break down with tears to show emotion. I think the fact that Arno slowly and agonizingly slides his blade into Germain's skull tells you all you need to know about how he felt.

I definitely agree about the handling of history in general and the portrayal of Robespierre. Although Elise being the one who shoots him in the jaw was pretty badass.

king-hailz
12-03-2014, 09:24 PM
PREACH my sister. :p

I don't understand...

You say recent tragedies/deaths are dramatic and predictable, yet the deaths of Ezio's family are even more so. :rolleyes:

What I mean is that they just do things with the story that we have no idea about, for example with that woman I'm AC4 at the end who we are supposed to know, she gives Edward a hug but we have never even heard of her before. Also with elise... We could have seen more of her at the early ages... how hard would have been to show a bit more... I still think it was done much better than ziio in AC3 which was just pitiful... I hate how in AC3 we had massive monologues between missions telling us, 'I trained for months' or 'haytham left me' etc... I hate that they should show us... I liked how it was with ezios family's deaths... We got introductions to the characters in a way that we could tell how the family was... and it was sad... well it was for me... another example of something great like this is AC4s ending... which it was done better in...

So basically I want them to make the game longer and introduce the characters and develop them better...

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 09:25 PM
That's not a and thing at all. Good stories leave things open to interpretation, they don't spoon-feed the player. That said, Unity's story was luckluster - but I feel the ending gets undue flack. People latch on to the fact that a female character has died and how that's so predictable etc. and letting the fact that Elise was independent and capable character fly over their head. And the ending doe gs contradict that, it emphasizes it.

I understand/like her independence as a character.

I'm just disappointed we didn't get enough time with her, and she died in the most predictable death. -__-

Megas_Doux
12-03-2014, 09:25 PM
After this streak of annual games, the writers ran out of ideas and fans of exciment. Therefore it is harder to either surprise them and let alone please them story wise.

king-hailz
12-03-2014, 09:28 PM
That's not a and thing at all. Good stories leave things open to interpretation, they don't spoon-feed the player. That said, Unity's story was luckluster - but I feel the ending gets undue flack. People latch on to the fact that a female character has died and how that's so predictable etc. and letting the fact that Elise was independent and capable character fly over their head. And the ending doesn't contradict that, it emphasizes it.

You don't exactly need to break down with tears to show emotion. I think the fact that Arno slowly and agonizingly slides his bake into Germain's skull tells you all you need to know about how he felt.

I definitely agree about the handling of history in general and the portrayal of Robespierre. Although Elise being the one who shoots him in the jaw was pretty badass.

They do, however there is a sweet spot to it. Not leaving too much for us... that's how it felt with unity... more with ac3 though...

However your right about the ending... It did show her as a strong character I just feel It could have been better... like mayrice said I'm more pissed at the modern day conclusion... It was just laughable...

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Yeah what even happened with the MD lol?

It was so meaningless I can't remember haha.

king-hailz
12-03-2014, 09:29 PM
After this streak of annual games, the writers ran out of ideas and fans of exciment. Therefore it is harder to either surprise them and let alone please them story wise.

EXACTLY! I thought they were going to listen to us and make it in two years lol... I guess we have to wait three games... since that's how long it takes them to listen to us...

PedroAntonio2
12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
The problem is that it was very obvious that Elise was gonig to die and Bellec was a fanatical Assassin. In the first trailer where they revealed Elise, at the same time I thought '' She is going to die...'' and when they released the story trailer and I saw the scene where Arno and Bellec jump through a window and they scream at which other '' You are the only who can save the Brotherhood ? '' '' We can...together'', at that moment I thought '' Omg, they spoiled the game already...it is obvious that Bellec is probably going to betray the Assassins because he doesn't agree with the truce between Assassins and Templars. ''

king-hailz
12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Yeah what even happened with the MD lol?

It was so meaningless I can't remember haha.

Ummm we had to find the sage using arnos memories and the assassins would make sure the template don't find his body in the present day... then at the end the safe dies and arno and napoleon hid his body in the catacombs... then the woman says 'oh no problem arno already did the job for us' WTF!

Megas_Doux
12-03-2014, 09:36 PM
EXACTLY! I thought they were going to listen to us and make it in two years lol... I guess we have to wait three games... since that's how long it takes them to listen to us...

You know, not getting the right scrypt is the main reason some successful movies and games do not get sequels. Ubi should have taken 2015 off, fix ACU, release more rifts/anomalies -well that is what I want though :p - and let the hate vent.......

JustPlainQuirky
12-03-2014, 09:46 PM
The botched MD was horrible.

Not only was it basically non existent, but the entire mission dedicated to tying the game to the MD was pointless

"we gotta find the body before they do"

"oh, nobody will be able to find that. lets pack up and head home guys"

WELP. THAT WAS A POINTLESS ADVENTURE

Kaschra
12-03-2014, 09:47 PM
It's nice and all that she died fighting for her own cause, but I still don't like it at all.
It feels like such a waste of a potentially amazing character. Don't get me wrong, I still think she is the best character in Unity, but they could've done so much more with her.
When she died, I didn't feel anything, no emotion at all - and she was my favourite character in the game :/
That says a lot, because I'm usually really emotional about my fave characters.
But here it was just... nothing.

But that's not the only problem I have with Unity's ending.
As Mayrice mentioned, the Modern Day and it's ending were nothing but a joke, completely meaningless.
And the very last scene which looks like it's a big advertisement for the Dead Kings DLC... yeah no, not in the freaking main game please.

gnosis_guyver1
12-03-2014, 09:51 PM
What really unity needed is

shays inclusion seriously he started this. and was the one who killed arnos dad. this would set up for immense emotional moments for arno myhaps for elise seeing a fellow templar who could help her if he deems Germain not right for the templar order similar to how Haytham viewed church

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 09:51 PM
The MD was horrible.

Not only was it basically non existent, but the entire mission dedicated to tying the game to the MD was pointless

"we gotta find the body before they do"

"oh, nobody will be able to find that. lets pack up and head home guys"

WELP. THAT WAS A POINTLESS ADVENTURE

Not entirely pointless, I mean they would never have known it was safely hidden unless they dug through Arno's memories. They have assurance now.

Edge of your seat stuff that, assurance. :rolleyes:

What really unity needed is

shays inclusion seriously he started this. and was the one who killed arnos dad. this would set up for immense emotional moments for arno myhaps for elise seeing a fellow templar who could help her if he deems Germain not right for the templar order similar to how Haytham viewed church

Damn you, hadn't played Rogue. Not everyone's completed both games.

Count yourself luck I'd predicted it anyway. :p

JustPlainQuirky
12-03-2014, 10:12 PM
Not entirely pointless, I mean they would never have known it was safely hidden unless they dug through Arno's memories. They have assurance now.

Edge of your seat stuff that, assurance.

It's still horribly underwhelming.

The ending is literally "oh. nevermind."

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 10:20 PM
What I mean is that they just do things with the story that we have no idea about, for example with that woman I'm AC4 at the end who we are supposed to know, she gives Edward a hug but we have never even heard of her before. Also with elise... We could have seen more of her at the early ages... how hard would have been to show a bit more... I still think it was done much better than ziio in AC3 which was just pitiful... I hate how in AC3 we had massive monologues between missions telling us, 'I trained for months' or 'haytham left me' etc... I hate that they should show us... I liked how it was with ezios family's deaths... We got introductions to the characters in a way that we could tell how the family was... and it was sad... well it was for me... another example of something great like this is AC4s ending... which it was done better in...

So basically I want them to make the game longer and introduce the characters and develop them better...

I would counter your argument, but I don't feel like it.

To each their own. ^^

It's nice and all that she died fighting for her own cause, but I still don't like it at all.
It feels like such a waste of a potentially amazing character. Don't get me wrong, I still think she is the best character in Unity, but they could've done so much more with her.
When she died, I didn't feel anything, no emotion at all - and she was my favourite character in the game :/
That says a lot, because I'm usually really emotional about my fave characters.
But here it was just... nothing.

But that's not the only problem I have with Unity's ending.
As Mayrice mentioned, the Modern Day and it's ending were nothing but a joke, completely meaningless.
And the very last scene which looks like it's a big advertisement for the Dead Kings DLC... yeah no, not in the freaking main game please.

This.

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 10:26 PM
It's still horribly underwhelming.

The ending is literally "oh. nevermind."

I know, I was being sarcastic with that last comment. However it was clear from the start the MD was just going to be filler. I mean it barely exists, I certainly didn't expect a satisfying ending to it.

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 10:30 PM
I know, I was being sarcastic with that last comment. However it was clear from the start the MD was just going to be filler. I mean it barely exists, I certainly didn't expect a satisfying ending to it.

Yeah, but a twist or something of that nature would've been nice.

They could've showed:

Osto Berg about to launch his attack on the Assassins.

Introduction of a new faction, SOMETHING to look forward to.

JustPlainQuirky
12-03-2014, 10:41 PM

The fact that we tell ourselves we shouldnt expect a satisfying ending is sad on so many levels

Shahkulu101
12-03-2014, 10:48 PM
The fact that we tell ourselves we shouldnt expect a satisfying ending is sad on so many levels

Well I was meaning just MD. We should def expect a good historical story and ending, personally I liked the ending but overall the story was pretty dull apart from the last few sequences and the awesome intro. Regarding MD, it's just a hindrance to the series. It could be more than that, but the general consumer doesn't give a toss about the Animus, the space time wizards and the overall lore. So Ubi don't do it - can't blame 'em.

You can blame the people that derided MD and demanded they scrapped it altogether instead of suggesting they improve it. I now advocate for it to just be removed, because it's beyond the point of saving. There's no conceivable way we'll get an expansive MD with a real protagonist ever again. Thats a shame.

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 10:52 PM
Damn, MD is really controversial in these forums. :rolleyes:

Rumpole1988
12-04-2014, 01:12 AM
Well, I miss MD, I miss Desmond and Shawn's stupid comments, although I think the Lucy plot didn't live up to its potential. I miss a more or less linear storyline (I think the Ezio series hit the sweet spot.) and I miss having a main character I can like and root for. Altair and the Ezio from "Brotherhood" and "Revelations" were just about right, with AC2 and AC3 giving a good mix between MD and history.

The whole truce between templars and assassins is laughable to begin with, but what's done is done. I would have loved for the story between Arno and Elise to develop a bit further, instead of her rather unceremonious death. Perhaps their relationship could have been tolerated under a truce which would later crumble, forcing them to go into hiding or Elise becoming disillusioned with the templars and Arno becoming the assassins' mentor, which works well for a few years. But eventually their past catches up with them and the templars hunt them down. Arno and Elise die in the fight, but not before being able to make sure their child is raised by the assassin order. (Which would also give us a nice main character who could perhaps explore techniques from both his parents' respective traditions and explain the transition to assassins starting their own off the grid communities, while the templars could have become a precursor of Abstergo industries during the industrial revolution)

I'd say using the shroud as a plot device would be problematic, as there would have to be a very compelling explanation for it not to be used all the time, when there's seemingly nothing to lose.

The MD problem is ultimately fixable. We know that Juno "lives" in the internet, which could be used to explain the fact that everyone can access every memory. As this was never her plan, her power might dwindle over time, making the animus and the player avatar's ancestry relevant again. Alternatively some other first civ people might contact the original team through the original animus, revealing that Juno is using the wide availability of animus technology to regain her power and helping to stop her, which might either be explored in an opening sequence or be the MD plot line of the next game.
(This could actually tie in nicely with victorian England, as it was riddled with inventors.)

There, two plausible, if somewhat unspectacular fixes. And I'm not even a writer.
(Ubisoft, give me a call or drop me an email :cool: ;) )

RzaRecta357
12-04-2014, 01:54 AM
So I just beat it. I seriously miss the modern day. Was that even Rebecca? I mean different VA and all that jazz.

I still need to read some intel from the rifts and stuff. Hoping they fix the ransacking versailles trophy so I can plat this bad boy.

Anyway, stuff I liked with the story.. I like how Bellic turned and all that because everything was too soft. I like how Arno could actually see their memories and mentions he could in the story.. something different from our other assassins however at the end when one of the Templars had something to actually say we got an intense even better than usual death conversation. Loved it. Seems this sage wasn't as in the know as Black Bart was about what he was. Or even the IT guy but he obviously had modern tools to figure it out.

Curious how Napolean gets the sword from Arno since he uses it doesn't he? Didn't think Elise dying was THAT cliche since she did just leave Arno there more worried about revenge.

I personally loved the game. They skimped out on story stuff here and there before on older games as well. If this game had whistling and running around a loading screen I'd be super happy with it. I still am of course but I miss those things. Hand to hand and hidden blade combat would be a plus too but I've always prefered AC1's hidden blade combat anyway.

Wolfmeister1010
12-04-2014, 03:36 AM
I loved Elise. And like I said in an earlier post, I thought the story actually did a good job coming together in the last few sequences. I thought the historical ending was good in terms of Arno and Elise, but bad in the sense that the Sage never explains to Arno:

1.who he is
2. who Juno is
3. what the sword of Eden is
4 How he got the sword of eden
5. Who killed Arno's father

In addition to the ending not explaining:

1. Why Napolean was down with Arno
2. Did Arno rejoin the brotherhood? Because he got his "master assassin robes" but..ah

The story is just bad because it rushed, didn't bother to develop any of the characters like de Sade and all the council members or why Arno, a newbie, got the cafe, or anything else, and it literally had such a crap modern day that did NOTHING to explain the sword of Eden's presence, NOTHING to further the Juno plot other than the fact that

"Oh, here is another sage, and now he's dead".

Literally, Germain even knew how damned unimportant he was. He literally said "Maybe it won't be me who fulfills Juno's wish, but SOMEONE WILL>>>EVENTUALLY!!!"

It is just the most unnecessary story in the game, even beating Revelations in terms of "does nothing to further the game's lore or story"

Which is a same because it COULD have been a great story. Like I said before, who knows, maybe Arno DOES have a great story, but we will never know because key moments like his entire training, getting to know the council members, and all these damned chunks of time missing are just...jesus.

I have a STRONG feeling Arno will be the star of Victory. Who cares if the Big Ben was built by the time he was really old? They have done that with landmarks in the past just for fun game pay purposes, making them appear earlier than they actually did.

I just pray that this story takes the time to..be an actually story. Because Arno could have been and still can be such an interesting character. Hoping Dead Kings will help further his story at least a little bit.

It sucks how the best AC game in terms of everything from customization, stealth, combat, graphics, open world, side missions and everything suffers from a crap story and some technical issues.

Same thing happened with AC3 in the sense that first game with new engine is buggy mess on release and then next game on that engine is pristine. Victory will be like the AC4 to AC3, although Unity is a damned great game in my eyes, so Victory can only be better.

LoyalACFan
12-04-2014, 03:59 AM
The reason the ending sucked wasn't because Elise died, it was because it was handled in possibly the most ham-fisted way I've ever seen. It's alright to kill off supporting characters if you do it to explore how it will affect the plot, and the way it will impact the characters. You don't just axe them for the sake of audience "feels" and roll the credits. Arno literally didn't even react to her death at all beyond one pouty look. The whole scene played out like something an eight-year-old wrote.

I have a STRONG feeling Arno will be the star of Victory. Who cares if the Big Ben was built by the time he was really old? They have done that with landmarks in the past just for fun game pay purposes, making them appear earlier than they actually did.

It's absolutely not happening. The Victorian era (hence "Victory") didn't begin until Arno was in his sixties.

I-Like-Pie45
12-04-2014, 04:20 AM
Elise got what she deserved.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Okay, finally finished the game, so I can throw in my 2 cents.

My problem isn't with Élise or the way she died. The final letter you receive at the end is a really nice summary of her character and her relationship with Arno. Élise was all business. She had conviction in her ideals, whereas Arno "only" ever cared about people. She was willing to sacrifice the people she loved for her goals, he was not. Even without Germain, I don't know if their relationship would have worked out in the end. I like such a relationship being portrayed in a video game.

My real issue was the abruptness and pointlessness of modern day. I didn't expect much from MD in this game but the ending was just laughable. No resolution whatsoever, no explanation of what we just saw, not even a video greeting. Just a voice-over going "thanks for playing, see you next time!".

I also have no idea what was going on in that white room conversation between Arno and Germain. In the old times, I would be racking my brain right now trying to figure it out but at this point I'm just "eh, whatever, they'll drop whatever crazy plot they're working up to within the next two or three games anyway".

And Arno's speech about the Creed was so random and out-of-character. How many times do we have to hear the protagonists basically give the same speech about the "true meaning" of the Creed?
I find it much more fitting that ultimately everything Arno did was pointless. He joined the brotherhood out of a misguided personal vendetta and only cared about protecting Élise. He was sarcastic and mocking towards the assassins from the very start. He didn't seem to understand nor want to understand their philosophy. He just needed their help. He's a bit like Connor in the sense that he lost everything he fought for and everyone he cared about eventually turned their backs on him. The difference being that Connor actually understood and respected the Creed, whereas Arno never had any investment in it. So why turn around at the end and have him suddenly become enlightened? Probably because reciting the Creed and laying out its meaning has become almost mandatory in every game.

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 10:19 PM
Yeah the summary of the Creed was pretty nicely put by Arno but I was just like..."Pulling that out your arse a bit mate."

I suppose his assessment of idealism turning to Dogma makes sense in context with the story, but the rest of that monologue just never made sense - despite the fact what he was saying was actually pretty cool. I did get a great vibe when he's standing atop Notre Dame at the end and it zoomed out and showed us Paris again. Seeing Arno look over a picturesque slice of Paris, surveying the scene - it brought up the good memories I had with the Assassination missions and the aesthetic beauty of the game in general.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Yeah the summary of the Creed was pretty nicely put by Arno but I was just like..."Pulling that out your arse a bit mate."

I suppose his assessment of idealism turning to Dogma makes sense in context with the story, but the rest of that monologue just never made sense - despite the fact what he was saying was actually pretty cool. I did get a great vibe when he's standing atop Notre Dame at the end and it zoomed out and showed us Paris again. Seeing Arno look over a picturesque slice of Paris, surveying the scene - it brought up the good memories I had with the Assassination missions and the aesthetic beauty of the game in general.

yup. Visually and gameplay-wise it remains an amazing game. The story had potential, I liked Arno (and to a lesser extent Élise), but ultimately the story didn't really have enough emotional connection. I'm not even attempting to keep up with the sci-fi crap anymore, it's gone beyond ridiculous, but it would at least be nice to know what the hell those time anomalies were supposed to be. Or what the hell the Sword of Eden had to do with anything. Just....so much unexplained stuff. Like they really just didn't have any ****s to give. They spent all those on making the game look pretty and revamping the core gameplay pillars.

I'm usually the first to criticize a bad AC story, but Unity reminds me so much of AC1 on so many levels. AC1 didn't have a great story either. It had fantastic dialogue, and some really neat ideas, but the plot was really basic with minimal character development and also left a ton things unexplained. Yet AC1 remains one of my favorite games for other reasons. Unity's story doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother some people because I enjoyed it so much for other reasons.

MakimotoJin
12-04-2014, 10:45 PM
Wolfmeister,
Shay killed Charles.

ShadoeKat
12-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Would have liked Elise not to die, but possibly in the next game she'd actually is pitted against Arno... and what do they do? Love or honor of those they swore their aligence to... Templar or Assassin. They kind of did that but not as clear and dramatic... we just know Arno was banished from the assassin's.... but then when was he allowed back?

Shahkulu101
12-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Would have liked Elise not to die, but possibly in the next game she'd actually is pitted against Arno... and what do they do? Love or honor of those they swore their aligence to... Templar or Assassin. They kind of did that but not as clear and dramatic... we just know Arno was banished from the assassin's.... but then when was he allowed back?

Arno ran off to Versailles again for some time before he ran into a former acquaintance of Elise and later rejoined the Assassin's:

After the death of Élise and Germain in the Temple, Arno lived in Versailles, out of sight of the Assassins. He continued to visit Élise's grave, and proclaimed himself redeemed of his previous mistakes. There, he was met by the outcast Assassin Bernard Ruddock, an acquaintance of Élise. Ruddock gave Arno a letter that Élise had written in the event of her death, explaining a number of her actions and directing him to find her chest of keepsakes. She only asked that Arno allow Ruddock to keep a pack of letters that she had been given by Jennifer Scott on her trip to London, which would allow Ruddock to gain favour with the Assassin Council and rejoin the Creed.

Arno agreed to honor her wishes, took Ruddock's address and told him he would be in touch once he had obtained the letters and Élise's chest, Arno also agreed that he would endorse any efforts he made to win favor with the Assassins. Arno traveled to the Maison Royale where he met Élise's teacher, Mr. Weatherall and was given the chest as promised, but the visit soon turned sour.

Ruddock had followed Arno and betrayed him, attempting to kill him on the order of the British Templars. However, Ruddock was killed by Mr. Weatherall before he could shoot Arno. Arno stayed with Élise's friends during the years following her death, having been invited to stay by her former maid out of respect to her mistress. He also rejoined the Brotherhood sometime afterwards.

From the AC Wiki, presumably these events are in the book.

RzaRecta357
12-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Keeping up with the sci fi crap isn't even hard. Know what you need to know since ACIV? Pretty much nothing. There was another Black Bart esque Sage that apparently didn't connect the memories as well as Black Bart of the IT guy. So he got no where. The end.

AC Victory please. Modern day story a bit please. Is Bishop even Rebecca please?

Hans684
12-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Let the game be about Elise but change their ending.

Since Arno is really protective and wants to help Elise even when it's not needed(they first attempt of killing Germain), let Elise be the one to get trapped by stones and Arno trying to save her(glitchy I know) but like the original ending Germain gets up and Arno(like Elise) runs to for the kill so he gets to protect her because of his fear of loosing another(because he is overprotective and it's typical Assassin) but like Elise he fails. Then she gets her revenge.

Their actions would still fit their character so nothing wrong there.

Altair1789
12-05-2014, 09:27 PM
My issue was with how they said "we didn't even need to go through the memories of Arno"