PDA

View Full Version : Which element would you consider draws you towards the series the most?

Rugterwyper32
12-03-2014, 01:29 AM
We all have something that draws us towards this series. But if one thing is clear, it's not always the same for each. Maybe for some it's the gameplay, as they find the most joy running around, stabbing people and just enjoying how you go around the missions. Or maybe for others it's the storylines that the ancestors experience, learning what they went through and finding out how their lives played out and were affected by their context. And for others it might be the modern day story and how TWCB and the lives of the ancestors tie into it. Or others just enjoy the historical tourism element and enjoy wandering around the various locations the series has to offer, having their interest caught by settings not often seen outside RTS games.
I am aware that these descriptions are very broad strokes, but for the sake of not driving myself nuts trying to come up with too many categories I'll stick with these four. So, out of all these, which would you say is the one you put the most stock on?

I, for one, go for the fourth one, historical tourism. One of the main reasons I would likely consider jumping ship if another franchise based around historical settings were to show up, and why if they made a TWCB game I most surely wouldn't buy it. Second comes gameplay, third ancestor story and very much last for me modern day (though it has some interesting stuff here and there). But I'm aware it could be very different for others. What do you think?

Rafe Harwood
12-03-2014, 01:38 AM
I like the ancestor story 'and' the historical tourism. Shame you can't have two votes at the same time.

Or maybe you can and I just screwed up :D

Rugterwyper32
12-03-2014, 01:41 AM
Nah, I made it one vote on purpose. My idea was more along the lines of choosing the one that's above the rest and discuss if maybe there was one really close or in which order do you see them and whatnot.
Also to prevent the very likely case of some people voting all at once which might happen. Makes for more intensity and more fun discussions, in my opinion.

Xstantin
12-03-2014, 01:42 AM
Art direction/layout, so I guess it'll be "historical tourism"

LoyalACFan
12-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Historical tourism all the way. The gameplay and stories are usually at least decent, but there's really no other series on the market that brings historical cities to life like AC does.

ze_topazio
12-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Visit and parkour in more or less accurate 3D reproductions of real world cities in specific time periods is fascinating.

Dev_Anj
12-03-2014, 01:49 AM
Historical tourism easily. The gameplay and stories have suffered from some flaws, which I won't go into detail here.

Megas_Doux
12-03-2014, 02:22 AM
Historical tourism, of course.

Rafe Harwood
12-03-2014, 02:26 AM
Is it just me who thinks it amusing the "we want a modern day story!" lot seem to have gone into hiding? :D

AdamPearce
12-03-2014, 03:47 AM
I want a Story, first of all.

Then I might check for the historical tourism. Though soon they're will be no point in those game if they keep getting closer and closer to our era. Plus, the games are totally immersion broken (talking about the oppressive HUD) and never got me into their respective settings.

VestigialLlama4
12-03-2014, 03:50 AM
Without the historical element, the games would be fairly unremarkable. It has to give you the sense that you really are in the past and making history happen. Otherwise...as in their failure in UNITY...it just becomes meh.

SixKeys
12-03-2014, 04:58 AM
None of these options. For me atmosphere is #1.

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 05:02 AM
It's a mix between the Ancestor story and the Historical tourism for me... ^^

The lore also attracts me as well. :)

AssassinHMS
12-03-2014, 05:04 AM
Gameplay. It is and always was relatively poor, but it has a lot of potential.

Rugterwyper32
12-03-2014, 11:47 PM

I considered adding that but I slowly found that I was making things in my head more and more complicated and ended up on the four options here. Fair choice, though.

PedroAntonio2
12-04-2014, 12:16 AM
At first it was the historical tourism, but I just care about the modern-day storyline now.

JoRyan78
12-04-2014, 02:07 AM
The modern day stuff is what got me into ac to so start with and I'm super mad that they totally effed that up

Rafe Harwood
12-04-2014, 02:40 AM
The modern day stuff is what got me into ac to so start with and I'm super mad that they totally effed that up

They kind of stuffed up the modern story line after AC1 tbh.

MakimotoJin
12-04-2014, 03:41 AM
If I say customization,will you people be mad at me?

pirate1802
12-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Historical tourism all the way. The gameplay and stories are usually at least decent, but there's really no other series on the market that brings historical cities to life like AC does.

This exactly. If I wanted ACish gameplay, there are other games for that. If I wanted good stories, the same goes. (which isn't saying the story and gameplay in AC is abysmal, no.) But if I wanted to roam around in sixteenth century Istanbul or eighteenth century Havana which game must I turn to?

Wouldn't that atleast somewhat overlap with historical tourism though? Tourists tour to enjoy the local atmosphere right? :p

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Simply put, immersion. Immersion is the #1 thing that draws me towards the franchise. It's the very thing that helps me overlook its many flaws.

The setting, atmosphere, aesthetics, and gameplay, it's all very unique in Assassin's Creed. The way the world is set up, the freedom of climbing up towers, ascending through trees, or exploring the vast ocean and how your character animates and interact with said things are just unmatched. I love how every sequel introduces new ways of immersing myself in the franchise. With AC:3, it was hunting and navigating through trees in the American Revolution. In AC:IV, it was piracy and navigating through the Caribbean with a ship of our own during the Golden Age of Piracy. And in Unity, it's with friends, exploring the 1:1 scale of Paris with its many dynamics such as 5000+ onscreen AIs/etc during the French Revolution.

Arrrck, I just love it. I'm super stoked to see what Victory introduces.

Shahkulu101
12-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Right now they're all pretty crap. Although my favourite, the gameplay, considerably improved for ACU - it's still extremely flawed. Which is a shame, because if there's was a set of even solidly good mechanics to go with the fantastic level design ACU would have been phenomenal. The overall gameplay taking all things into account, is alright. A step above absolutely **** - hooray!

rrebe
12-04-2014, 11:38 AM
I'm between gameplay and ancestor/MD story (for me those two story lines are equally important, can't have one without the other), but voted for ancestor story because that's what I'm focusing on majority of the time I spend playing the games.

SixKeys
12-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Simply put, immersion. Immersion is the #1 thing that draws me towards the franchise. It's the very thing that helps me overlook its many flaws.

The setting, atmosphere, aesthetics, and gameplay, it's all very unique in Assassin's Creed. The way the world is set up, the freedom of climbing up towers, ascending through trees, or exploring the vast ocean and how your character animates and interact with said things are just unmatched. I love how every sequel introduces new ways of immersing myself in the franchise. With AC:3, it was hunting and navigating through trees in the American Revolution. In AC:IV, it was piracy and navigating through the Caribbean with a ship of our own during the Golden Age of Piracy. And in Unity, it's with friends, exploring the 1:1 scale of Paris with its many dynamics such as 5000+ onscreen AIs/etc during the French Revolution.

Arrrck, I just love it. I'm super stoked to see what Victory introduces.

Yeah, I would like to change my answer from atmosphere to immersion as it's a more all-encompassing term. AC1 atmosphere is in a league of its own, where I don't even need to be doing any activities to feel immersed in the world. In the other games the atmosphere needs the support of gameplay to make it work. Like, Unity is a visually gorgeous game, but if it didn't have so many great gameplay opportunities, I don't know if I would feel compelled to spend so much time just wandering around.

That's why the "historical tourism" angle doesn't work for me: I'm actually not big into travel. I don't have a burning need to visit other countries, whether modern or historical. Historical sights usually sound more exciting than they are when you're actually standing there in person. AC appeals to me because it allows me to see beautiful places in ways that are more exciting than in RL. I've been to the Eiffel Tower. It's impressive, but simply standing beneath it with a bunch of other tourists doesn't compare to the fantastical idea of parkouring all the way to the top.

Rafe Harwood
12-04-2014, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I would like to change my answer from atmosphere to immersion as it's a more all-encompassing term. AC1 atmosphere is in a league of its own, where I don't even need to be doing any activities to feel immersed in the world. In the other games the atmosphere needs the support of gameplay to make it work. Like, Unity is a visually gorgeous game, but if it didn't have so many great gameplay opportunities, I don't know if I would feel compelled to spend so much time just wandering around.

That's why the "historical tourism" angle doesn't work for me: I'm actually not big into travel. I don't have a burning need to visit other countries, whether modern or historical. Historical sights usually sound more exciting than they are when you're actually standing there in person. AC appeals to me because it allows me to see beautiful places in ways that are more exciting than in RL. I've been to the Eiffel Tower. It's impressive, but simply standing beneath it with a bunch of other tourists doesn't compare to the fantastical idea of parkouring all the way to the top.

Imagination is always better than reality... except Nutella. Nutella is awesome!

MIA SILENT
12-04-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm gonna say fire, because I keep getting burnt.

Hans684
12-04-2014, 03:57 PM
Lore/story, it's the stories(MD or Historical). Each setting and time impact what kind of story it us and that should be taken advantage of when it comes to gameplay. Potential.

king-hailz
12-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Well seeing this... It tells me that they can easily please a lot of people with their games... because nearly every game has been great for historical tourism. They need to work on all the other things a lot now! After historical tourism people want a good modern day story with good lore... which they need to be able to achieve. Then the other two they need to achieve!

JustPlainQuirky
12-04-2014, 04:13 PM
Story.

Hence my love for Rogue and utter distaste for Unity.

wickywoowoo
12-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Ideally 50/50 with modern story and the historical atmosphere but if I have one vote - I went with modern story.