PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye to first generation of AC

JustPlainQuirky
12-02-2014, 10:27 PM
If the Kotaku article is legit (which it certainly seems to be) then it means Rogue is indeed the final installment in the set of last gen AC games.

This is it. A new era is upon us and Unity is our first glimpse of it.

I thought it would be nice to dedicate a thread to reflecting on our favorite moments/games in the first generation and speculate if the new one will be better or worse.

To me, all the last gen AC games have special places in my heart. And I love the generation very much. I think it will be my favorite forever and always.

And lastly, a formal goodbye to our first generation AC protagonists

Desmond
Altair
Ezio
Aveline
Haytham
Connor
Edward
Adewale
Shay

You looking forward to the new generation? How do you feel about letting go of the past characters?

I am a bit upset Eseosa didn't get a turn but ay I'll take a chronicles game with him.

SpiritOfNevaeh
12-02-2014, 10:32 PM
If the Kotaku article is legit (which it certainly seems to be) then it means Rogue is indeed the final installment in the set of last gen AC games.

I thought it would be nice to dedicate a thread to reflecting on our favorite moments/games in the first generation and speculate if the new one will be better or worse.

To me, all the last gen AC games have special places in my heart. And I love the generation very much. I think it will be my favorite forever and always.

Desmond
Altair
Ezio
Aveline
Haytham
Connor
Edward
Adewale
Shay

You looking forward to the new generation? How do you feel about letting go of the past characters?

I am a bit upset Eseosa didn't get a turn but ay I'll take a chronicles game with him.

Kotaku... legit?

:rolleyes:

MakimotoJin
12-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Ah,all the times jumping onto the wrong buildings,getting desynchronized because I was detected,killing civilians by mistake...

ze_topazio
12-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the good work people, you'll be forever in our hearts.

Hans684
12-02-2014, 10:49 PM
*a moment of silence for the last gen*

Namikaze_17
12-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Requiescat in Pace, you crazy bastards... TT__TT

Assassin_M
12-02-2014, 11:00 PM
**** you, last gen, you brought us the Ezio trilogy I-I mean....You'll be in our hearts

Aphex_Tim
12-02-2014, 11:04 PM
I ain't saying goodbye. I'll still be playing the games from time to time! ;)

MakimotoJin
12-02-2014, 11:05 PM
**** you, last gen, you brought us the Ezio trilogy I-I mean....You'll be in our hearts

Don't be evil.We're having a sad moment here.

Assassin_M
12-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Don't be evil.We're having a sad moment here.

I'm Morgia, I'm always evil.

But yeah, I don't think it'll be goodbye to those guys...at least not Ezio, I'm 100% positive we'll see Ezio again in the current gen.

JustPlainQuirky
12-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Too bad Connor, Aveline, and Shay won't really get the pay off they deserve IMO.

Ah well.

Maybe in a novel or something.

Rafe Harwood
12-02-2014, 11:39 PM

Pfft whippersnapper. Bring back the beeb!

D.I.D.
12-03-2014, 12:40 AM

But yeah, I don't think it'll be goodbye to those guys...at least not Ezio, I'm 100% positive we'll see Ezio again in the current gen.

I think the shift in graphics tech might make that a bit difficult. They're getting much closer to reality all the time, and I don't think it's going to be possible to make a model that both resembles the old model and looks like a believable human being while also satisfying all the fans at once. There would be so many complaints about Ezio looking weird that they'd wish they hadn't bothered.

Assassin_M
12-03-2014, 12:53 AM
I think the shift in graphics tech might make that a bit difficult. They're getting much closer to reality all the time, and I don't think it's going to be possible to make a model that both resembles the old model and looks like a believable human being while also satisfying all the fans at once. There would be so many complaints about Ezio looking weird that they'd wish they hadn't bothered.

Eh, sure. There'll be the little bunch who will complain, just like with Revelations. Just hearing Ezio's voice will be enough. Gah, at this point, I expect just the mere mention of Ezio in a new AC game would make fanboys wet their collective pants.

TheHumanTowel
12-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Kotaku... legit?

:rolleyes:
Kotaku were the ones who broke the leak of AC Unity you know....

ACfan443
12-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Eh, sure. There'll be the little bunch who will complain, just like with Revelations. Just hearing Ezio's voice will be enough. Gah, at this point, I expect just the mere mention of Ezio in a new AC game would make fanboys wet their collective pants.

A mention of Connor in a new AC game would make fangirls wet their collective knickers

but we all know that's never going to happen:p

Assassin_M
12-03-2014, 01:03 AM
A mention of Connor in a new AC game would make fangirls wet their collective knickers

but we all know that's never going to happen:p
*ACTUAL ROGUE SPOILERS*
No one wet their pants in Rogue

besides, they're girls, they do that.

ACfan443
12-03-2014, 01:10 AM
*ACTUAL ROGUE SPOILERS*
No one wet their pants in Rogue

besides, they're girls, they do that.

Wait, Connor was in Rogue?? I haven't played it, I made my way about a quarter of the way through the story campaign via YouTube but got bored and closed my browser because walkthroughs aren't my cup of tea

ze_topazio
12-03-2014, 01:14 AM
Wait, Connor was in Rogue?? I haven't played it, I made my way about a quarter of the way through the story campaign via YouTube but got bored and closed my browser because walkthroughs aren't my cup of tea

He is mentioned in the end.

ACfan443
12-03-2014, 01:26 AM
He is mentioned in the end.

Ah thanks, I might check that out later. By the way, your signature genuinly looks like a pulsating spud with eyes from afar.

GoldenBoy9999
12-03-2014, 05:32 AM
Goodbye last gen AC, you've given me some of the greatest memories of gaming I will ever have.

The8bitAsian
12-03-2014, 08:39 AM
I just want to thank Ubisoft for spending around a decade on this franchise and hopefully many more years to come. It has its ups and downs but it has surely delivered more good than bad. I will always try to find time to play these legendary games and look forward to many innovative ACs.

Pr0metheus 1962
12-03-2014, 10:30 AM
I think, of the last generation, my favorite game has to be a tie: AC2 and Black Flag. Each had elements that defined and redefined the series for me. The single false step, in my opinion, was AC3, with its depressing and poorly voiced protagonist gumping through every major occurrence in the American Revolution.

With Unity's short and poorly crafted story, historical inaccuracies, stereotypical bad guys, mediocre side quests, deleted minigames, bugs galore, the Unity Companion app, the fact that Initiates still doesn't work weeks after Unity's launch, iconic AC features that were scrapped and fighting and movement systems that have been nerfed to a ludicrous degree, the new generation of Assassin's Creed is certainly off to a very poor start. If things don't get a heck of a lot better, I predict the death of the franchise before the decade is over.

MakimotoJin
12-03-2014, 10:37 AM
i think, of the last generation, my favorite game has to be a tie: Ac2 and black flag. Each had elements that defined and redefined the series for me. The single false step, in my opinion, was ac3, with its depressing and poorly voiced protagonist gumping through every major occurrence in the american revolution.

With unity's short and poorly crafted story, historical inaccuracies, stereotypical bad guys, mediocre side quests, deleted minigames, bugs galore, the unity companion app, the fact that initiates still doesn't work weeks after unity's launch, iconic ac features that were scrapped and fighting and movement systems that have been nerfed to a ludicrous degree, the new generation of assassin's creed is certainly off to a very poor start. If things don't get a heck of a lot better, i predict the death of the franchise before the decade is over.

All I could think about is GIVE ME LEE!

Rafe Harwood
12-03-2014, 10:59 AM
Of the last gen my fav's started out with Far Cry 2 (The reason I actually bought a hexbox in the first place), the mass effect series, Bioshock series and the to date Assassins Creed.

Others have been and gone but those where my collective favourites. I still have all of them and still play them all from time to time :)

VestigialLlama4
12-03-2014, 10:59 AM

I personally have not upgraded to Next-Gen yet, I only got into AC because the 7th Gen Consoles had a long shelf-life and that meant that it allowed for a cheaper model to come out just in time to enjoy the newer titles and older backlog. I then looked up which titles to get and got AC2 Game of the Year. I actually planned to shift to PC for UNITY but then they asked those insane specifications and then the game crashed and burned, and then it turned out to be worthless on the whole. I think I'll save cash for Arkham Knight.

I am starting to think that AC as a series has exhausted itself in terms of open-world gaming. Like when GTA jumped from sixth to seventh with GTA IV and the Expansions, it was more realistic, more serious but on the whole not as original and fun as the cartoony world of San Andreas and Vice City, it lacked that over-the-top fantastic element which created that distance, and the Niko Bellic games, for me, weren't as good or memorable as the first ones(and I feel the same way about Gta-V). Eighth Gen can give better graphics and beauty, and maybe a bigger map with interiors and exteriors but you know without that spirit and charm of the earlier titles the new-gen games could be soul-less.

But you know they released six great titles in seven years, no Franchise can claim that consistency, so if they lagged behind with UNITY and slightly with ROGUE, than they shouldn't be blamed too much.

Desmond
Altair
Ezio
Aveline
Haytham
Connor
Edward
Adewale
Shay

You forgot Clay Kaczmarek/Subject 16 who you play in LOST ARCHIVE, he was my favorite Modern Day Character.

In any case, for me, the games were never really about the player characters for me, for me it was about the combination of the setting, the history, the fun, the insanity and the supporting cast that made the game for me.

Even Arno, moron that he was, would have been okay if they got other stuff in UNITY right.

lothario-da-be
12-03-2014, 11:01 AM
RIP AC 2009-2011.
Ezio you will be remembered.

RinoTheBouncer
12-03-2014, 11:11 AM
I’m ok with letting go of the past gen. Just like how we let go of VHS and started using VCD then DVD and now BluRay, this is pretty much the same. What I’m terribly missing and sad to let go is the way AC used to be. The inter-connected and very story driven experience that is sort of episodic in nature with Modern Day, First Civ. myths, conspiracies, puzzles were almost as important as the historical story.

That’s what I miss terrible and that’s what I pray for to happen with the coming games. The fact that the games are becoming so self contained and the modern day becoming nothing more than a context or an excuse, with zero story-telling or progress, even to the loose ends of the past that were shamelessly ignored in TWO games this year, is very disappointing because it’s taking away every reason that made me ADORE the franchise in the first place and never hesitate for a second about buying a collector edition or merchandise for AC games.

ME LOVES YOU!
*fingers crossed*

Rafe Harwood
12-03-2014, 11:21 AM
I’m ok with letting go of the past gen. Just like how we let go of VHS and started using VCD then DVD and now BluRay, this is pretty much the same. What I’m terribly missing and sad to let go is the way AC used to be. The inter-connected and very story driven experience that is sort of episodic in nature with Modern Day, First Civ. myths, conspiracies, puzzles were almost as important as the historical story.

That’s what I miss terrible and that’s what I pray for to happen with the coming games. The fact that the games are becoming so self contained and the modern day becoming nothing more than a context or an excuse, with zero story-telling or progress, even to the loose ends of the past that were shamelessly ignored in TWO games this year, is very disappointing because it’s taking away every reason that made me ADORE the franchise in the first place and never hesitate for a second about buying a collector edition or merchandise for AC games.

ME LOVES YOU!
*fingers crossed*

You bothered with vcd? I thought most people skipped that one. 12" discs should be reserved to vinyl lol

The one thing I have been afraid of in the last few games is the move to multiplayer. Anything that used to be singleplayer that moves into the pvp arena seems to end up not being worth playing for story any more :/

RinoTheBouncer
12-03-2014, 11:50 AM
You bothered with vcd? I thought most people skipped that one. 12" discs should be reserved to vinyl lol

The one thing I have been afraid of in the last few games is the move to multiplayer. Anything that used to be singleplayer that moves into the pvp arena seems to end up not being worth playing for story any more :/

Well after the VHS was the CD where video is recorded on it. So I did use that yeah but when DVD came out, I migrated to that, right away. I love Vinyls, btw. Those are very collectible. I got so many Madonna vinyls haha. They’re beautiful and make the cover artwork look so pretty.

Yeah, that’s one of my biggest fear. I believe that single player games can never be replaced. Multiplayer is good to some people, but not to everyone. I want it to remain as a side thing. But with all these co-op stuff, I’m getting even more worried that games will be more like that and less like what they used to be, and hell perhaps even start being sold as episodes, like what they’re doing with Resident Evil Revelations 2 now.

VestigialLlama4
12-03-2014, 12:01 PM

In India, DVDs were expensive so we got into VCDs for a while, in retrospect we should have stuck with VHS. In any case once Cloud Gaming hits it big, platforms will not make a difference, you can have integrated PC/Console Services and a vast library of games from all old platforms and you can access, via network someone's hardware and play a game, albeit for a price.

Multiplayer never made much sense in Assassin's Creed to me either. As long as they keep it in the side, it won't bother me.

I think ideally what they should do is spin-off Assassin's Creed into history fiction IPs, like have one be a ship game, another can be a war/strategy game(and so have multiplayer) and the like.

JustPlainQuirky
12-03-2014, 06:08 PM
lol why would we see Ezio again?

Unless you're talking about a remake?

MakimotoJin
12-03-2014, 06:09 PM
We all want Ezio.Put Ezio's face in the new protagonist,and bam.Game of the year.

GunnerGalactico
12-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Put Ezio's face in the new protagonist,and bam.Game of the year.

Lol... Seems like it would be the only way that Ubi will get positive feedback from fans :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Lol... Seems like it would be the only way that Ubi will get positive feedback from fans :rolleyes:

Seems legit.

We should also give Sam an Italian accent as well. :rolleyes:

MakimotoJin
12-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Seems legit.

We should also give Sam an Italian accent as well. :rolleyes:

Sam?That's his name,seriously?
But yeah.Just put Roger Craig as the voice actor.

SlyTrooper
12-03-2014, 06:22 PM
I loved that time where I almost completed Unity before Victory was announced... (not last-gen, but still)

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 06:25 PM

No, it's not his name. ( Well probably)

Some people think he's Samuel Fey, so we call him that for now until we know his real name.

It's like the whole thing with Arnaud and Arno.

GunnerGalactico
12-03-2014, 06:26 PM

Not really. Earlier this year, everybody was under the impression that this year's AC game was set in Victorian London. There were leaks that the character's name was supposedly Samuel Fay. Seems that everybody is referring to the new protag. as Sam now :p

EDIT: Nami beat me to it.

MakimotoJin
12-03-2014, 06:29 PM
Ha,Arnaud.

king-hailz
12-03-2014, 09:12 PM
I am 1 billion percent sure I will be playing the previous games for the ps3 more... lol if Unity is the first glance I'm scared... lol just kidding but that spark this series had has completely gone! I am like meh for victory...

I will say AC bought me to proper gaming! It turned me from a casual to a hardcore! I love it and I find it sad that something this major in my life doesn't excite me anymore...

JustPlainQuirky
12-03-2014, 10:11 PM
I hope to see the first generation AC characters return in some AC fighting game.

Namikaze_17
12-03-2014, 10:24 PM
I hope to see the first generation AC characters return in some AC fighting game.

Assassin's Creed: Versus :rolleyes:

pirate1802
12-04-2014, 06:45 AM
Where we would instacounterkill our opponents. :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
12-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Where we would instacounterkill our opponents. :rolleyes:

Would be some lackluster battles... :rolleyes:

Fatal-Feit
12-04-2014, 06:56 AM

^ Kind of why I'm not upset. The franchise have had its dark times *cough*. The latest games have easily been the best so far. AC:IV, Rogue, Unity, and now Victory (London, OMFG!) ah... It's going to be one hell of a new generation. :cool:

JustPlainQuirky
12-07-2014, 12:58 AM
I want a book dedicated to first gen Assassin's Creed.

It'll be like the AC version of Hyrule Historia.

Concept art, timeline, additional lore, etc.

And I want it to cover aaaall the first gen AC games.

AC1
AC2
AC Brotherhood
AC Revelations
AC 3
AC ToKW
AC Liberation
ACIV
AC Freedom Cry
AC Rogue
and if there's AC Rogue DLC, Include that too

And at the final page it has a drawing with all the 1stgen AC protagonists together (including Haytham) and it says "celebrating a generation"

QAQ

Xstantin
12-07-2014, 01:07 AM
^Another AC encyclopedia then? I think the last one was up until Black Flag's timeline.
But it's a nice idea I'd buy it

Namikaze_17
12-07-2014, 01:09 AM
Same here.

I'd dig that... ^^

Fatal-Feit
12-07-2014, 01:12 AM
Isn't that what the Abstergo Employee Handbook thingy was suppose to be?

JustPlainQuirky
12-07-2014, 01:16 AM
I don't know.

I only know I want a book of last gen only. No gross Unity.

A really really REALLY thick book that's like full of content like Hyrule Historia.

Assassin's Creed bible basically.

And no annoying narration as if it's written by an assassin or abstergo employee. Keep it simply factual.

Oh and no mention of initiates. If there is, I'll personally buy 100 books just to burn them.

Fatal-Feit
12-07-2014, 01:21 AM
Could I at least have 1 of them? To burn too, I mean...

Namikaze_17
12-07-2014, 01:26 AM
Fatal, you should join our fold sometime.

We need more members... :rolleyes:

Xstantin
12-07-2014, 01:29 AM
I'm waiting for the 'ultimate' art book myself, even though I have them for all games except ACII (I don't think there was one) - still even if you look around Initiates and wiki you can find concept art which wasn't featured like Connor with the late game shave, some alternative looks etc. :(

Fatal-Feit
12-07-2014, 01:32 AM
Fatal, you should join our fold sometime.

We need more members... :rolleyes:

...Elaborate.

Namikaze_17
12-07-2014, 01:36 AM
If I the only one that wished Connor had facial hair like this:

http://adrenaline.uol.com.br/files/upload/noticias/2012/12/jose/assassins_creed_iii.jpg

Yeah, I know Native Americans couldn't grow facial hair, but he would've looked badass. :cool:

...Elaborate.

A Templar fold where only specific members join.

Myself and Han to name a few...

MakimotoJin
12-07-2014, 01:57 AM
And I'm almost there.I'm just waiting for a moment to show I could help.

Fatal-Feit
12-07-2014, 02:19 AM
A Templar fold where only specific members join.

Myself and Han to name a few...

Only if ya'll have some fresh cookies.

Namikaze_17
12-07-2014, 02:54 AM
Only if ya'll have some fresh cookies.

We'll make sure... ;)

Welcome to the fold, Brother.

And I'm almost there.I'm just waiting for a moment to show I could help.

You will Maki, You will.

GoldenBoy9999
12-07-2014, 04:05 AM
A huge AC encyclopedia sounds great. I'd pay top dollar as long as it's good and full of interesting content. I planned on getting the next AC encyclopedia anyway so it'd be a great way to close off the generation.

Yeah, I know Native Americans couldn't grow facial hair, but he would've looked badass. :cool:

I thought that was a myth. Oh well. :/

You will Maki, You will.

Yeah, uh, I heard something about that too.

Namikaze_17
12-07-2014, 04:12 AM
A huge AC encyclopedia sounds great. I'd pay top dollar as long as it's good and full of interesting content. I planned on getting the next AC encyclopedia anyway so it'd be a great way to close off the generation.

And knowing their endings... :rolleyes:

I thought that was a myth. Oh well. :/
Is it? I don't know. -__-

Yeah, uh, I heard something about that too.

You can join Golden...you have proved yourself.

Welcome to our fold, Brother. ;)

If you're reading this Maki, you're almost there..^^

GoldenBoy9999
12-07-2014, 04:36 AM
You can join Golden...you have proved yourself.

Welcome to our fold, Brother. ;)

If you're reading this Maki, you're almost there..^^

May the Father of Understanding guide me. :cool:

MakimotoJin
12-07-2014, 06:58 AM
Jesus,my eyes hurt when I read stuff like that.I've a headache now. =(

Sabutto
12-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Shoulda just named the topic "thank you Ezio"

Thank you ezio auditore for carrying the Assassin Creed games on your shoulder, for making people become aware if this series, for if you were not liked by the majority, Assassin creed would have died off already. We all appreciate you, even if some will not admit it. I apologize that you were followed up by the abissmal Connor Kenway, he single-handedly nearly destroyed all your work. But his grandfather gave us hope in Edward kenway and the carribbean ocean. I am happy you did not live to see the work of Achilles Daven-port.. the failure..smh. RIP last gen mainly Ezio. :cool:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130511224001/deadliestfiction/images/8/82/Ezio_Auditore.jpg"]http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130511224001/deadliestfiction/images/8/82/Ezio_Auditore.jpg

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/201/f/e/Ezio_Auditore_De_Firenze_by_sXeven.jpg"]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/201/f/e/Ezio_Auditore_De_Firenze_by_sXeven.jpg[/URL]

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/5/58339/2650029-acr_duo.jpg

Rafe Harwood
12-07-2014, 03:59 PM
A lot of us liked Connor. It was just bandwagon myth-making that assumed 3 (or Connor) to be a bad game/char ;)

wvstolzing
12-07-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure whether there's any need to say 'goodbye'. It's not like GTA where they refresh the entire universe with every generation of consoles; e.g. it might make sense to say goodbye to the 'generation' of the Nameless Psycho (aka 'Claude'), Tommy Vercetti, and CJ, since in the universe that houses Niko, Franklin, Michael, Trevor et al., they don't exist (though they clearly have inspired the design of the newer characters -- but that's a side issue).

Though when I come to think of it: Maybe AC too should 'refresh' its entire universe, GTA-style. Sure, it's based on 'real history', they don't make up their own cities, and so on, but still, the mythology could be refreshed.

So in this new AC universe, for instance, we wouldn't have had the threat of a solar flare, Desmond et al., the 'First Civ' wouldn't have been wiped out by that particular disaster (but maybe some other), they wouldn't have been a different species, humans wouldn't be an engineered species, there'd be no pinpointing of an individual name (Desmond!) from across tens of thousands of years of probability (duh...) calculations, and so on.

Just as GTA replaced an increasingly goofy universe with a slightly less goofy one while retaining the core of what makes GTA GTA, AC could replace the simplistic 'solar-flare-Desmond-and-so-on-conspiracy' universe with a slightly less goofy conspiracy universe.

I guess that's a chance they missed with Unity.

... or perhaps they *tried* to do something *similar*, but somewhat half-assed it; trying to build a new universe (new 'vicarious-time-travel-device', a somewhat side-loaded new threat (Sages), etc.) while keeping the unwieldy baggage of the old one.

There's no shortage of real-life based conspiracies, having to do with secret societies, hidden ancient histories, and so on. And *obviously* the writers at ubisoft are well versed in all of this. In AC4, there was even a slight nod to Graham Hancock. This is arguably the most popular proponent of the 'lost ancient civilization' - crackpot theories (as a side note, he freely admits that he writes his books while 'high', so they literally are 'crackpot theories'); and has a book called 'Fingerprints of the Gods'. In one of the Abstergo documents accessible through the floating tablet, there was a reference to 'the fingerprints of TWCB'. I don't think that's a coincidence. (By the way, these Atlantis-type people are rivals of Ancient-Aliens people; and I think AC inherits more from the former. It's only the 'genetic engineering' they adopt from the latter.)

So establishing a new AC-mythology *could* be as easy as inventing a new tapestry of analogues of whatever crackpot theories there are concerning the Rosecrucians, the supposed 12th Century settlement of North America by the Knights Templar, and so on, and put together an opening cinematic that makes it clear that in this universe there existed no Altair (yes), and no Desmond.

TheHumanTowel
12-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Is it? I don't know. -__-

Yes that's just a stereotype

MakimotoJin
12-07-2014, 07:32 PM
A lot of us liked Connor. It was just bandwagon myth-making that assumed 3 (or Connor) to be a bad game/char ;)

I loved the whole Kenway family.