PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on new system...

ScrubbyMonkey
02-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm sure this topic is already played out, but I'd like your opinion...

I'm not exactly new to Il-2, I played it when it first came out, but my comp couldn't really handle it. I've got some money to build a new computer, and honestly you guys have insprired me to build something that run FB at it's best.

I've got about $2000 to spend on just the box, not including monitor or other stuff, so I want to know what hardware you guys recommend. A friend is building it for me, so all I need to know is what components you'd recommend...most importantly the processor, mobo, video card, sound card, memory, etc....the stuff that is most important for running games.

Any advice is very appreciated, and will go a long way to help me.

ScrubbyMonkey
02-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm sure this topic is already played out, but I'd like your opinion...

I'm not exactly new to Il-2, I played it when it first came out, but my comp couldn't really handle it. I've got some money to build a new computer, and honestly you guys have insprired me to build something that run FB at it's best.

I've got about $2000 to spend on just the box, not including monitor or other stuff, so I want to know what hardware you guys recommend. A friend is building it for me, so all I need to know is what components you'd recommend...most importantly the processor, mobo, video card, sound card, memory, etc....the stuff that is most important for running games.

Any advice is very appreciated, and will go a long way to help me.

VW-IceFire
02-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Well $2000 should get you a very nice system. You'll need to investigate but I'll recommend something very close what I put together about six months ago.

- Asus A7N8X Deluxe (nforce 2 chipset) Motherboard
- AMD 3000+ CPU
- PC3200 Ram (512MB or 1GB - if you have 2 512mb's at PC3200 spec then you can run them in dual channel mode)
- Radeon 9800Pro 128mb (the XT is nice but only a bit faster)
- Get yourself a nice case and power supply and fans as well. Look for nothing under 300W and preferably something closer to 400W. I gota Antec 660AMG Case with a 330W power supply. Its very quiet for a very good price.

Thats some basics...really depends on what you want. Other forumites will doubtless have other recommendations as well. Do some research afterwards and see what is best suited to your performance/price ratio.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~cczerneda/sigs/temp_sig1.jpg
The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!

ScrubbyMonkey
02-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Dumb question, but would you recommend using the on-board sound on the motherboard, or pick up something else (i.e. SB Audigy, etc.)?

arcadeace
02-13-2004, 08:21 PM
IceFire's suggestion is a good one. I have the same system. With $2000 I would be patient for another 2 months with the video card and get and get ATI's R420.

http://www.onpoi.net/ah/pics/users/ah_222_1073167658.jpg

LEXX_Luthor
02-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Talk to tsisqua. He got a MAD64 (I mean AMD64) and he says FB like lighting in WinXP. The hardware webboards say--I think--wait a few months for the right "standard" motherboard or something. I dunno, but talk to somebody here about the 64 thing. I am a guy running fairly FB smooth with Savage integrated motherboard video, so dont' talk to me! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-wink.gif

you will still have FB , you will lose nothing ~WUAF_Badsight
I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait... ~Bearcat99
Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age ~ElAurens

LW_Cobra
02-13-2004, 09:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScrubbyMonkey:
I've got about $2000 to spend on just the box, not including monitor or other stuff, so I want to know what hardware you guys recommend. A friend is building it for me, so all I need to know is what components you'd recommend...most importantly the processor, mobo, video card, sound card, memory, etc....the stuff that is most important for running games.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Monkey,
I've run AMD for the past 5 years or so, 3 new homebuilts in that timeframe. My latest (last year, upgrading next month) AMD 2400+ with the Asus A7N8X Deluxe with 1Gig of Crucial Ram has been nothing but trouble for me. AMD has heat issues, and even though my case has 6 fans and the processor has a good heat sink, something is amiss.
The onboard sound works fine and I've never had any problems with it, in fact I recommend it when it comes to the Asus board one less thing to go wrong or have to update a lot of drivers right? Soyo was my previous MB and it was the best MB I've owned in the past 5 years. Well laid out and a good manual = no problems.

Unlike VW-IceFire though, I would recommend this:
- ABIT 1C7 Max3 800Mhz FSB MB
- Pentium 4 3.2G ($284) [3.0G - $225, 3.4G - $419] your choice, definitly 3G minimum.
-Kingston 1GB (512MBx2) DDR400 Ram - no problems with this brand in the past with me.
-ATI (NOT OEM or with ATI technology) ATI Radeon 9800XT w/256MB - take the speed cuz LOMAC sure needs it!!!
-Minimum 400W power supply (personally I would go 450W or 500W)
-Case of your choosing with a lot of fans. http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

If you're into doing high end graphics I would get 2G of memory, WTH right? Remember when the stuff was more expensive than gold? I do. Let us know what you build and good luck. Mwave.com is good for online purchases also in case you needed someplace to buy. All of the above goes for around $1300 with the 3.4G processor and 1G of ram.

Http://mysite.verizon.net/res0adci/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sigsmall.jpg

p1ngu666
02-13-2004, 09:37 PM
faster amd produce a bit less heat btw
www.silentpcreview.com (http://www.silentpcreview.com) &lt; go poke about there
www.overclockers.com (http://www.overclockers.com)
avoid presscot please, for the love of everything
well, unless u need a expensive heater http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/images/smiley/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif
as for the amd64 stuff, bit :\ atm, read the stuff at overclockers
get 1gig of ram, for sure
onboard nforce sound is good too

http://www.pingu666.modded.me.uk/mysig3.jpg

Weather_Man
02-13-2004, 11:04 PM
Here is my personal wish list:

Cases (Computer Cases, ATX Form)
Thermaltake XASER III LanFire VM2000A ( SILVER ) Aluminum ATX MID Tower Chassis w/ X Large Side Window,Retail.
$106.00

Fans, Heatsinks (Case, CPU, Chipset)
Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu Pure Copper CPU Cooler for AMD XP Socket 462,754 and Intel Socket 478.
$42.99

Hard Drives
(2) Western Digital Raptor 36.7GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD360GD, OEM Drive Only
$238.00 ($119 each)

Motherboards - AMD
ABIT K8T800 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 754 CPU, Model "KV8-MAX3" -RETAIL
$154.99

Power Supplies
Antec 480W Power Supply,Model "TRUE480" -RETAIL
$79.00

Processors

AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 1MB L2 Cache, 64-bit Processor - OEM
$404.00

Sound Card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS GAMER Limited Edition PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0350" -RETAIL
$131.00

Video Cards
GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9800XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 256-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "GV-R98X256D" -RETAIL
$454.99

Memory (System Memory)
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail
$274.00

Subtotal $1,884.97

AirBot
02-14-2004, 02:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScrubbyMonkey:
Dumb question, but would you recommend using the on-board sound on the motherboard, or pick up something else (i.e. SB Audigy, etc.)?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The A7N8X has excellent on-board sound. No reason to install a separate soundcard.

HH Quazi
02-14-2004, 03:45 AM
If building and buying separate pieces isn't your cup of tea, check out www.tigertv.com (http://www.tigertv.com) I just watched a paid advertisement and I think I'm going to get one. It is a p4 with a 2.8 gig processor, 512 ddr ram, and a 120 gig hard drive. It has an ATI 64meg graphics card geared for gaming and a 800 (something?) bus. * usb ports, 17 inch flat screen monitor and the latest Lexmark printer that prints in the 4000 dpi range. Plus a load of software you might or might not like or use. Anyway a little over $1100. Check the web site out for more detailed information. Oh yea, it's a Sony Vaio.

Weather_Man
02-14-2004, 04:23 AM
Quazi, FYI, the 64mb graphics is crap. You cannot game with that unless you only play solitaire. These guys sell systems cheap because they use cheap components. Keep that in mind.

LW_Cobra
02-14-2004, 08:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by QuaziMotto:
If building and buying separate pieces isn't your cup of tea, check out http://www.tigertv.com I just watched a paid advertisement and I think I'm going to get one. It is a p4 with a 2.8 gig processor, 512 ddr ram, and a 120 gig hard drive. It has an ATI 64meg graphics card geared for gaming and a 800 (something?) bus. * usb ports, 17 inch flat screen monitor and the latest Lexmark printer that prints in the 4000 dpi range. Plus a load of software you might or might not like or use. Anyway a little over $1100. Check the web site out for more detailed information. Oh yea, it's a Sony Vaio.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW, that is crap. The video card itself sells for a whopping $38. Processor is $185 on the street and the memory is about $71, same size Western Digital HD can be had for $80...... I wonder what they need $1100 for???? Must be the shipping cost to suckers on Mars.

Http://mysite.verizon.net/res0adci/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sigsmall.jpg

BaldieJr
02-14-2004, 09:30 AM
You can not go wrong shopping with www.newegg.com (http://www.newegg.com)

I have bought many a part from many a vendor, and noone matches newegg.

As for what to get: AMD64. I wouldn't trade mine for anything (except a faster AMD64!).

Any decent video card will be fine. As far as sound goes: they all suck in FB.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ _____
(, / ) /) /) , (, /
/---( _ // _(/ _ / __ ,""""]
+----/ ____)(_(_(/_(_(__(__(/____/__/ (__--------,' /---+
| / ( / ,' NR / |
|(_/ ..-""``"'-._ (_/ __,' 42 _/ |
+-.-"" "-..,____________/7,.--"" __]-----+

</pre>

scout1892
02-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi,
I've been a computer technician for about 3 years, I'm leaving the field now to go back to EMS but I am A+ and Linux+ certified... my recommendations would be to go with a pentium 4 based system.. I have run both AMD's and P4's and I am very impressed with the p4 over the AMD. I will give you the specs of the system I am running now and I have no problems at all with FB... with 2k to spend you can easily build better =)
Case: Lian - LI Aluminum Mid tower
MB: Asus P4C800-DELUXE
CPU 2.8GHZ P4 800mhz w/ HT
RAM: 1GB 400MHZ Dual Channel DDR (1 gig ram is key with XP big performance jump over 512)
Video: 128MB Nvidia Geforce FX5600 (always liked NVIDIA more then ATI.. but thats becuase of the linux drivers that have been available.. for windows it's not as important)
HARDDRIVE: 2x 40GB ATA 133 7200RPM 2x 80GB ATA133 7200RPM, 1 120GB SATA150 (the 2 80s are striped for fast data access the 2 40s are mirrored for data integrity)I am using both the onboard and a couple of PCI Raid controllers to accomplish this...
Optical Drives (not as important) 4xDVD+RW 16xDVD 24x12x48x Plextor CDRW and 56X CDROM (master and slaves an the onboard harddisk controllers)

OK now having said all that the most important things to make sure of is you get a hyperthreaded p4 and at least 1 gig of ram that you can run in dual channel.. I would also recommend that if you have multiple harddrives you run the OS off of your fastest harddrive or harddisk array. If you have any questions about how to set this up feel free to email me at: roland_vk@yahoo.com (you can also message me) I can give you advice on whatever you decide to build with hints and tips or recommandations for hardware... =) Goodluck and have fun!!!

BTW I see some people recommending OEM CPU's this could be a very big mistake as most vendors will not warrenty OEM CPU's.. Retail box CPUs are not usually much more expensive and when you figure in the fact that they come with the fan and a 3year processor warrenty this generally negates any savins you would have.

Rob

Chivas
02-14-2004, 10:27 AM
I highly recommend an AMD64 3000+ ....1 gig ram...9800pro 256 which runs IL-2 all maxed out with Perfect settings...BUT
In your case I would wait a couple of months because everything is changing (for the better I hope).
PCI express video cards and motherboards should make a system that will run BOB with no problems.

oFZo
02-14-2004, 12:40 PM
I use the A7N8X deluxe mentioned before, the onboard sound is better than any audigy or whatever.

-oFZo
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.bryant3/ETSigHolland.gif
Founding member and Offical Keeper of The Herbs of the Eurotrolls.

"I have given you all the seed bearing plants and herbs to use." - The Bible