PDA

View Full Version : Initial Impressions & Frustrations

RobG-ADV
12-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Against my better judgement, I went ahead and pre-ordered The Crew (Gold Edition, no less) earlier this evening and just spent a half hour playing it, before shutting it off in frustration.

The so-called tutorial is confusing to say the least. I got the Camaro and set the waypoint for Welcome to Detroit. I got to the waypoint, which appeared to be in the middle of the road. I stop there. Nobody else does. It's still telling me to Get To the Race, and there's some blue triangle thing in the sky off in the distance that I'm trying to get to. I eventually get to it, and start a real race. Naturally, I don't win and have to try again. After I fail a second time, it resets me back to having to "Get To the Race" yet again. WTF? This makes no sense.

The control/feel of the car seems pretty good. My main point of comparison is GTA5. While the cars are a bit twitchy (the steering seems "over boosted"), its physics are quite good IMO, so I tend to compare to that. I find the cars in The Crew don't turn in as well, but brake more realistically. Maybe this is something I can adjust later if it lets me tweak suspension settings. I spent quite a few years racing SCCA Solo II so I learned a lot about chassis setup. :)

Prior to getting the Camaro, while being chased through the fields by the cops (and I was in the orange Raptor), I slammed into a barn. The truck just stopped. I expected to do damage to the barn, or hell, blow right through it. I found this a bit disappointing.

Visually, the game seems good, but it definitely is NOT as crisp as GTA5. It seems like there's a lot of "noise" in the picture... things aren't quite as smooth or detailed as they could be.

I don't like how it sticks tips RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, blocking your view. Please.. how about just above the horizon so you can still see where you're going.

I'll play it some more tomorrow. I'd like to get to the point of just driving around and exploring the game and stuff... again, kinda like how you do in GTA5 after the prologue. Then I can get a better feel for it and see if I blew $85 or if I'll get my money's worth. :)

Rob

ReallyTrash
12-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Are you serious ? How can you compare an open world racing game with an open world sandbox/shooter ?

You expected to shoot stuff or something ? This is a racing game ... racing only.

Tell me one game that has this level of detail and a big world like this one when you can even go offroad wherever you want

If you want to play GTA, play that and stop comparing apples and oranges.

The noise you were talking about is annoying for me as well, so I'm gonna give you that one, but other than that you're talking b.......

Gamden101
12-02-2014, 11:26 AM
*facepalm*

RobG-ADV
12-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Well I can see this isn't going to be the place to come to have a civil discussion. You're too busy congratulating yourselves over your snarky comebacks to bother trying to be helpful. I went out of my way to not knock the game, but you still seem to think my opinions are invalid. So... nevermind. I'll go elsewhere. Enjoy the warm feeling you get from being what is essentially a bully.

Rad357
12-02-2014, 08:37 PM
Are you serious ? How can you compare an open world racing game with an open world sandbox/shooter ?

You expected to shoot stuff or something ? This is a racing game ... racing only.

And yet a game that does not only focus on racing only, but also on gunplay, yoga, rich story and a more vivid world nails the racing better. That's what he's saying, and I kind of have too agree.

TheMrPatrick
12-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Rockstar had a budget that broke world records so they could build a map that is how many times smalller??
Or take the fact that Rockstar is working on GTA since GTA 1.

And wait, you say that GTA V has a good handling? Cars that have dozen invisible F1 wings stick to them equals good handling?!

This is ridiculous. And oh, you do love self pity, bah.