PDA

View Full Version : Present-Day AC game

Autopsad
11-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Hello everyone,

I have a suggestion that could benefit to Ubisoft and some players.

For some time now, present-day story has been more or less abandoned, but there are people (like me) who really were interested in the pressent-day story.
I know many people don't care about it and it's fine, but I can't help but think that there SHOULD be more to do with this story.

Could Ubisoft make an AC game which concerns only the present-day story ? I don't know, maybe an "Assassin's Creed - Rise of the Initiates".

This would be about present-day Initiates who help/join the assassins to fight Juno with maybe the help of the Templars. That way, gamers that don't care about Desmond, Juno etc... don't have to buy it but we could at last have some follow-up...

I really thought that Unity, with its name, could add more to the story with an association Assassins/Templars against Juno and be (in my own opinion) better that Black Flag which really didn't seem to be an Assassin's Creed (still my own opinion).

Please Ubisoft, don't let this story down, it was epic ! And if ther's nothing more to do with that, then I'll have to say goodbye to this franchise.

hapkidolaurent
11-28-2014, 10:33 AM
I am not sure if I would enjoy a only present day game. I mean Assassins creed is all about that. About historical events and famous persons. I have to say that I loved the concept of the mix between the real world with desmond and the animus. It was a nice touch and gave you a little bit of diversity. but I am not sure if I would like to see a dedicated present time game. First, it would be very hard to beat enemies with a hidden blade while they gonna launch rockets at you lol. But I would really like to see it coming back as an add to the main game. Not that crappy AC4 abstergo sh** but something like in AC3 with more exploration possibilities.

Autopsad
11-28-2014, 10:46 AM
I am not sure if I would enjoy a only present day game. I mean Assassins creed is all about that. About historical events and famous persons. I have to say that I loved the concept of the mix between the real world with desmond and the animus. It was a nice touch and gave you a little bit of diversity. but I am not sure if I would like to see a dedicated present time game. First, it would be very hard to beat enemies with a hidden blade while they gonna launch rockets at you lol. But I would really like to see it coming back as an add to the main game. Not that crappy AC4 abstergo sh** but something like in AC3 with more exploration possibilities.

I totally agree about the gameplay, this was the only thing I really liked in ACIII (and disliked, I thought Daniel Cross would serve a purpose...)

I talked about a standalone game because i know how much a great part of AC gamers don't like present story and I'm sick of it vanishing more and more in games...

Rafe Harwood
11-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Present day war game, get Cod

UniteUnderPower
11-28-2014, 11:02 AM
Unity's modern-day story was HORRIBLE. At this point, I think they should maybe make a game ala Liberation or Rogue totally centered on the present-day narrative. This is what I imagine Rising Phoenix to be about if it ever would turn out to actually be something Ubisoft is working on.

Autopsad
11-28-2014, 11:07 AM
@Rafe Harwood ==> I don't care about FPS (CoD, FarCry etc...) and this ain't the point...

@UniteUnderPower ==> That's exactly what I suggest them. But Rising Phoenix was just an hoax, a great disappointment.

Rafe Harwood
11-28-2014, 11:17 AM
It's exactly the point. You want a modern day fighting game. You can't do that with swords, you have to use guns.

Ok, so you don't want first person, so a third person shooter is what you want?

Assassins creed has always been about the history.

Autopsad
11-28-2014, 11:39 AM
It's exactly the point. You want a modern day fighting game. You can't do that with swords, you have to use guns.

Ok, so you don't want first person, so a third person shooter is what you want?

Assassins creed has always been about the history.

Please, just because it's set in the XXIst century doesn't mean we have to constantly use firearms !!! Just play ACIII then come back...

And AC isn't ONLY about History (at least, it wasn't)

hapkidolaurent
11-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Please, just because it's set in the XXIst century doesn't mean we have to constantly use firearms !!! Just play ACIII then come back...

And AC isn't ONLY about History (at least, it wasn't)

No it isnt only about history, but it is an important part of the games. I mean the researches they do are sometimes not more than you could get out from wikipedia but I always love the fact that you can "revive" the world. If you would make a game of the present day... well you would get something (now it gets dangerous for me) similar to GTA or Watchdogs... And you couldnt really assassinate any present Day famous person. Who would you consider as a templar that also exists in real life? Obama, kanye west, bush? They would sue ubisoft in no time. And assassinate random persons who arent really historical wouldnt be funny for me at least :)

Rafe Harwood
11-28-2014, 11:48 AM
AC always was about history. AC1 featured a dude who was locked up, living historic lives to try and find an apple of eden. AC2 continued it and AC3 was supposed to be the end of the trilogy.

Then someone in their wisdom decided to extend on AC2 as they made a few quid from it, hence we now have three AC2 titles. Which is why AC3 is called AC3 and not AC5.

It's always been about the history.

Autopsad
11-28-2014, 11:53 AM
AC always was about history. AC1 featured a dude who was locked up, living historic lives to try and find an apple of eden. AC2 continued it and AC3 was supposed to be the end of the trilogy.

Then someone in their wisdom decided to extend on AC2 as they made a few quid from it, hence we now have three AC2 titles. Which is why AC3 is called AC3 and not AC5.

This AIN'T THE TOPIC !

This is a discussion for those who want more about the modern day story and a way to give it without being an as****e to those that don't like it, ok ? Try to be comprehensive that other people may like diferent things. You d'ont care about modern story ? FINE ! So this topic isn't addressed to you.

Autopsad
11-28-2014, 11:55 AM
No it isnt only about history, but it is an important part of the games. I mean the researches they do are sometimes not more than you could get out from wikipedia but I always love the fact that you can "revive" the world. If you would make a game of the present day... well you would get something (now it gets dangerous for me) similar to GTA or Watchdogs... And you couldnt really assassinate any present Day famous person. Who would you consider as a templar that also exists in real life? Obama, kanye west, bush? They would sue ubisoft in no time. And assassinate random persons who arent really historical wouldnt be funny for me at least :)

Well, Ubisoft made some Abstergo director disappear in Chicago (a reference to watch dogs), so they could use the Abstergo employees. But yes, historical figures would'nt be in it.

UniteUnderPower
11-28-2014, 11:56 AM
Having little to no present-day storyline in Unity was part of the reason for Unity being as disappointing as it was. Everything felt without purpose.

Rafe Harwood
11-28-2014, 11:58 AM
This AIN'T THE TOPIC !

This is a discussion for those who want more about the modern day story and a way to give it without being an as****e to those that don't like it, ok ? Try to be comprehensive that other people may like diferent things. You d'ont care about modern story ? FINE ! So this topic isn't addressed to you.

Don't misunderstand me Auto. The modern story is 'part' of the whole. You can't have one without the other.

One of the main charecters that seems to be forgotten about in the midst of Ezio, Altair, Edward and the like, is the Animus, It may only be a piece of machinery, but it is a central part of the story. It has been part of every story/game. That makes the 'present' part of the story kind of important.

But likewise, you can't have an AC title without it. The present must be present (pardon the pun), just the same as the past must be.

Autopsad
11-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Thank you for this calm explanation.

I agree with you BUT present story is disappearing, so I thought a spin-off would be a way to advance in this or at least get some closure.
The end of ACIII promised many great things to come and nothing delivered, probably because many gamers prefer the past sequences, I hoped this could be a compromise.

hapkidolaurent
11-28-2014, 12:02 PM

so you say the fight between the templars and the assassins and all those eden artefacts and first civilization is only a sideconcept? If so, I would replay the games and pay attention to the story :) ;)

Rafe Harwood
11-28-2014, 12:07 PM
so you say the fight between the templars and the assassins and all those eden artefacts and first civilization is only a sideconcept? If so, I would replay the games and pay attention to the story :) ;)

Sideconcept? Where did I say that? Are you trying to put words in my mouth? Naughty

hapkidolaurent
11-28-2014, 12:12 PM
Sideconcept? Where did I say that? Are you trying to put words in my mouth? Naughty

its what I got from your context :) you sad It was always about history. But it isnt, its about the templars vs assassins and the eden artifacts :)

Rafe Harwood
11-28-2014, 12:18 PM
its what I got from your context :) you sad It was always about history. But it isnt, its about the templars vs assassins and the eden artifacts :)

Artifact. Singular.

The plural only showed up when the series was extended. Giving a reason/excuse for more games ;)

It became organic at that time. Which is why we now have the latest change in Unity. Change is inevitable once it starts rolling and it did that in AC2 with the expansion from the original trilogy.

The core concepts however, remain the same. You cannot have an AC title without the present (There are enough complaints about the lack of it in Unity), likewise, you cannot have an AC title without the history, for the same reasons.

hapkidolaurent
11-28-2014, 12:28 PM
There are more than only one artifact. remember the map of the edenartfaicts in AC2 or Brotherhood? ...yeah.

however, we get off track. We should focus on what it would be possible to do in the present days in ac unity :)

Rafe Harwood
11-28-2014, 12:49 PM
There are more than only one artifact. remember the map of the edenartfaicts in AC2 or Brotherhood? ...yeah.

however, we get off track. We should focus on what it would be possible to do in the present days in ac unity :)

Adam and Eve. The Apple from the garden of Eden. You see where I'm going right? ;)

Anyway, present day in Unity would also be going off topic, as this post was about ditching the history and having only modern day. Which is why I piped up lol ;)

VestigialLlama4
11-28-2014, 01:36 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a suggestion that could benefit to Ubisoft and some players.

For some time now, present-day story has been more or less abandoned, but there are people (like me) who really were interested in the pressent-day story.
I know many people don't care about it and it's fine, but I can't help but think that there SHOULD be more to do with this story.

Could Ubisoft make an AC game which concerns only the present-day story ? I don't know, maybe an "Assassin's Creed - Rise of the Initiates".

This would be about present-day Initiates who help/join the assassins to fight Juno with maybe the help of the Templars. That way, gamers that don't care about Desmond, Juno etc... don't have to buy it but we could at last have some follow-up...

I think ideally they should find a way to make the Present Story into the historical story. The Bleeding Effect which they introduced and then kind of forgot about was entirely about that. Where the past and present were joining together, but then they had to double up assets across two timelines.

As for a completely present day Assassin-Templar fight, I don't think that would make for an interesting or original game. It would be what, Hitman or Mirror's Edge or Watch_Dogs and many other sandbox games, whereas the historical element with the bonkers science-fiction element makes the franchise interesting or at least it used to until the train-wreck that was UNITY.

The modern day of Black Flag was cool, working in the video game company but it gets old in ROGUE. I think they should skip around and try different things in different games.

RinoTheBouncer
11-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Dear Ubisoft, Im ready to fund such a project from my own personal fortune haha. I swear, Id do anything for a present day AC game.

VestigialLlama4
11-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Dear Ubisoft, I’m ready to fund such a project from my own personal fortune haha. I swear, I’d do anything for a present day AC game.

I wonder who they'll put as contemporary Assassination Targets. Some can be fictional but maybe they can put some real-life figures who knows - Bin Laden, Gaddafi, Hugo Chavez(there are rumors that he was poisoned). Only then it will play like CIA's Creed and they already have Call of Duty for that. Maybe Michael Jackson is a Templar so you get to infiltrate Neverland.

That's the problem with a contemporary Assassin's Creed game, the series deals with secret societies manipulating politics, and by necessity it will have them be on one side or the other. History at least allows you the distance to explore the past. But present day politics are really really messed up, the game's portrayal of the French Revolution is bad enough and controversial already.

I mean the backstory of Assassin's Creed II says that Roosevelt, Churchill Stalin and Hitler were all Templars(how that makes sense remotely is beyond me) but to make a game about World War II - where say you assasinate Hitler, Roosevelt(he died suddenly), Stalin (also rumored to be poisoned) is to accuse a bunch of innocent people with the gravity of the Holocaust(maybe each extermination camp will be an Assassination Tomb, that allows you to get what, Resistance Armor?)

World War II is already 70 years ago and its impossible to work in the metaphor they use(which is why they use it in side-missions, backstory and puzzles). They can maybe make a game about World War I, which is 100 years ago, or the Spanish Civil War, or 20s Berlin but after that it will be very hard unless of course they still want to be taken seriously.

hapkidolaurent
11-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Maybe Michael Jackson is a Templar so you get to infiltrate Neverland.

This is where I died :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

RinoTheBouncer
11-28-2014, 03:28 PM
I wonder who they'll put as contemporary Assassination Targets. Some can be fictional but maybe they can put some real-life figures who knows - Bin Laden, Gaddafi, Hugo Chavez(there are rumors that he was poisoned). Only then it will play like CIA's Creed and they already have Call of Duty for that. Maybe Michael Jackson is a Templar so you get to infiltrate Neverland.

That's the problem with a contemporary Assassin's Creed game, the series deals with secret societies manipulating politics, and by necessity it will have them be on one side or the other. History at least allows you the distance to explore the past. But present day politics are really really messed up, the game's portrayal of the French Revolution is bad enough and controversial already.

I mean the backstory of Assassin's Creed II says that Roosevelt, Churchill Stalin and Hitler were all Templars(how that makes sense remotely is beyond me) but to make a game about World War II - where say you assasinate Hitler, Roosevelt(he died suddenly), Stalin (also rumored to be poisoned) is to accuse a bunch of innocent people with the gravity of the Holocaust(maybe each extermination camp will be an Assassination Tomb, that allows you to get what, Resistance Armor?)

World War II is already 70 years ago and its impossible to work in the metaphor they use(which is why they use it in side-missions, backstory and puzzles). They can maybe make a game about World War I, which is 100 years ago, or the Spanish Civil War, or 20s Berlin but after that it will be very hard unless of course they still want to be taken seriously.

You got a point, yeah. But I think if they make it heavily focused on Abstergo, it can work. I mean if the main focus is fictional targets and entities, that could work and they can twist it however they like. I honestly never though about them using real figures like Bin-Laden or Gaddafi or Saddam Hussein or George W. Bush..etc. but it would be interesting but also tricky to handle them, because these targets, they have so many opposing people and also so many who support them. I don’t mind a controversial game at all. I’d honestly welcome it, warmly, but I think it could be tricky.

However, if you read the book, AC:Brahman, the modern day segment of it is EXTREMELY interesting. I’d love to see that deep look on the Creed in modern day, as well as Abstergo and Juno, herself. That would be epic.

wickywoowoo
11-28-2014, 03:30 PM
As daft as this will look - a modern day game does not need to be modern day. It can be the oldest AC game as you can set it in the Adam and Eve scene from AC2 and it still be "modern day" as people just mean the story involving Juno when they say that.

It doesn't need to be 2015, Obama, Putin and the like, but a game that relates to the Juno aspect of the game. I'd take a Vita game for that if that's what it takes. I am another "modern day" fan though.

RinoTheBouncer
11-28-2014, 03:32 PM
As daft as this will look - a modern day game does not need to be modern day. It can be the oldest AC game as you can set it in the Adam and Eve scene from AC2 and it still be "modern day" as people just mean the story involving Juno when they say that.

It doesn't need to be 2015, Obama, Putin and the like, but a game that relates to the Juno aspect of the game. I'd take a Vita game for that if that's what it takes. I am another "modern day" fan though.

I’m also drooling over a First Civ. game. Imagine Adam and Eve emerging from human camps outside the First Civ. cities, plotting the revolution, stealing the Apple of Eden and then coming back to shake up the system and then Toba occurs and we continue. Or perhaps we start after Toba and we go back and forth to flashbacks of what came before.

Autopsad
11-28-2014, 04:05 PM
There are really good ideas.

I didn't read AC:Brahman but I plan to do it.

Personnaly, I don't think the AC mechanics (find some intel and assassinate targets) could work in present day but it doesn't have to be this way.
The goal is to continue the story, so there are other gameplays to explore. It can be a full infltration game to gather more Intel on Juno before confronting her or something like that, but without staying in the old habit of run-retieve an artefact/object-kill target-run back to the HQ-run to the next mission.

Also, (and it's for another topic I know, but it's related to the idea), i'm dying to know more of Erudito ! I really hoped that black flag with its piracy concept would lead to some story involving erudito, but, you know...

RinoTheBouncer
11-28-2014, 04:11 PM
There are really good ideas.

I didn't read AC:Brahman but I plan to do it.

Personnaly, I don't think the AC mechanics (find some intel and assassinate targets) could work in present day but it doesn't have to be this way.
The goal is to continue the story, so there are other gameplays to explore. It can be a full infltration game to gather more Intel on Juno before confronting her or something like that, but without staying in the old habit of run-retieve an artefact/object-kill target-run back to the HQ-run to the next mission.

Also, (and it's for another topic I know, but it's related to the idea), i'm dying to know more of Erudito ! I really hoped that black flag with its piracy concept would lead to some story involving erudito, but, you know...

I was personally hoping for WATCH_DOGS to be the modern day AC we’ve all been dreaming of, but it wasn’t. Don’t get me wrong, I loved W_D for what it is, but it’s not AC, not even close in style to it. I want something where we can parkour in Modern Day, and at the same time, infiltrate, stealthy assassinate, investigate, use technology to tail and eavesdrop, use a variety of blades and sniper rifles to assassinate or even tranquilizers.

In addition to that, we get to explore the dark side of the world, which is neither gangs nor drug dealers nor terrorists, but the conspiracies, the secret organizations, the illuminati perhaps or just Abstergo itself and whatever is left from the First Civ. that we can look for.

It would be extremely interesting. I mean they’re making a new game every year, and most if not all of them are selling very well. I don’t see how one game is gonna ruin that. It could be so successful that people will praise it so much and it will be a fan service for those of us who totally adore the First Civ. and Modern Day segments. And I agree, if the game goes to that direction, there are so many ways they can make it work, even if those ways are different and unorthodox in terms of the “norm” of the franchise.

wickywoowoo
11-28-2014, 04:42 PM
People who don't like modern day tend to want a gap year from Assassins Creed anyway so just give us that and they can have their gap year.

Win/win.

RinoTheBouncer
11-28-2014, 04:45 PM
People who don't like modern day tend to want a gap year from Assassins Creed anyway so just give us that and they can have their gap year.

Win/win.

Great idea. I suggested it once before. I mean since multiple teams are working on AC, anyway, they can pull this off and hell even gain new people. A year gap isn’t such a bad idea. It’s not like people will forget AC, by that time. On the contrary, it’s gonna remain fresh as each year, a new story is unfolding/continuing.

VestigialLlama4
11-28-2014, 04:59 PM
I’m also drooling over a First Civ. game. Imagine Adam and Eve emerging from human camps outside the First Civ. cities, plotting the revolution, stealing the Apple of Eden and then coming back to shake up the system and then Toba occurs and we continue. Or perhaps we start after Toba and we go back and forth to flashbacks of what came before.

If they go and do the Ancient World like they said they would, then they'll be making a First Civilization game for all intents and purposes. The Ancient World was a time when people still believed in Gods, Miracles and all that stuff, which as per their metaphor is the survivors helping out the humans after the catastrophe. So Temples of Athena, Zeus and Juno would probably be Temples of Athena/Minerva and whatnot.

I have read Brahman and liked it, but again the modern-day fighting we see wouldn't be interesting in a game. It works as a story but it just wouldn't work overall as a game.

Look the main reasons why there will never be a pure Modern Day game is.

1) Architecture. The fact is Assassin's Creed is about climbing famous building and doing a leap-of-faith of tall structures. Like climbing up say, the Chrysler Building or the Dubai Building like the Mission Impossible Movie or what-have-you, you really can't do that and pass muster in terms of realism. If you want to be an Assassin in Modern Times, climbing up buildings to the top and jumping off it ''will'' attract attention.While they can use the Animus and justify making the Caribbean tiny and these islands being smaller than farmer's fields, but to do a proper modern day they will need to be super-realistic, have buildings really high and the like. That movie MAN ON WIRE would have to be the whole movie and even that guy took a long while achieving it. Like in the Desmond Mission in AC3, where he parachutes off a construction site and glides to another building, that scene was done in realistic proportions and it showed how different the heights in the Animus world was from a more realistic height-level. So one pillar will have to be heavily modified or done away with altogether.

2) The Parkour and social stealth mechanic will also need to be overhauled because it was closely tied to the first pillar. But they can't retain it since in a realistic world, you can't blend into a crowd after being chased on foot by Cops/Templars and whatnot. It works in GTA because that's an over-the-top parody of a real city. You can't sit on benches or haystacks to dodge the cops. So another pillar gone.

3) The only thing left is to make it a pure stealth game, but once you make a pure stealth game you really can't make it an open world game anymore, since to do that realistically, gamers would have to move across the sandbox with a certain amount of freedom and you can't do that if you have to hide from the police, media and cameras all the time. And also dodging vehicles and traffic don't forget.

4) So basically to make a real modern day game you have to make a Assassin's Creed game without climbing famous landmarks, without the social stealth mechanic, without open-world. In shors an Assassin's Creed game where you can't do any of the stuff in the earlier games. They will also have to move to using guns but I think a better option is to do a total stealth game where you basically have to kill a target using means that cannot leave a evidence, basically the game will be one part assasination, another part "cleaning" or deleting evidence from the crime. So you have to find ways to use a particular kind of poison, knifes that can't easily be traced(the Hidden Blade could actually be useful here), sneak around and move through camera relays, avoid bloodshed. In other words, it will become Splinter Cell or something else.

The Assassin's Creed gameplay was very carefully thought of and applied to the historical setting via the Animus because they knew what they were doing, at least in the earlier games. For Parkour to work and allow you to traverse a city with no need for a car or horse, those cities have to be "small", so older medieval cities are more convincing, to climb buildings it has to be older architecture where even the tall structures aren't the skyscrapers today. Its easier to do social stealth in a medieval society without the modern forensics and cameras, blending is still a stretch but within possibilities. The reason why they used the Animus and introduce the modern day was to allow them freedom, they can shift from one protagonist to another, they can go from one time setting to another. They even created a franchise-inside-a-franchise with the Ezio games. It also allows them to make the best pirate game ever.

wickywoowoo
11-28-2014, 05:06 PM
If they go and do the Ancient World like they said they would, then they'll be making a First Civilization game for all intents and purposes. The Ancient World was a time when people still believed in Gods, Miracles and all that stuff, which as per their metaphor is the survivors helping out the humans after the catastrophe. So Temples of Athena, Zeus and Juno would probably be Temples of Athena/Minerva and whatnot.

I have read Brahman and liked it, but again the modern-day fighting we see wouldn't be interesting in a game. It works as a story but it just wouldn't work overall as a game.

1) Architecture. The fact is Assassin's Creed is about climbing famous building and doing a leap-of-faith of tall structures. Like climbing up say, the Chrysler Building or the Dubai Building like the Mission Impossible Movie or what-have-you, you really can't do that and pass muster in terms of realism. If you want to be an Assassin in Modern Times, climbing up buildings to the top and jumping off it ''will'' attract attention.While they can use the Animus and justify making the Caribbean tiny and these islands being smaller than farmer's fields, but to do a proper modern day they will need to be super-realistic, have buildings really high and the like. That movie MAN ON WIRE would have to be the whole movie and even that guy took a long while achieving it. Like in the Desmond Mission in AC3, where he parachutes off a construction site and glides to another building, that scene was done in realistic proportions and it showed how different the heights in the Animus world was from a more realistic height-level. So one pillar will have to be heavily modified or done away with altogether.

2) The Parkour and social stealth mechanic will also need to be overhauled because it was closely tied to the first pillar. But they can't retain it since in a realistic world, you can't blend into a crowd after being chased on foot by Cops/Templars and whatnot. It works in GTA because that's an over-the-top parody of a real city. You can't sit on benches or haystacks to dodge the cops. So another pillar gone.

3) The only thing left is to make it a pure stealth game, but once you make a pure stealth game you really can't make it an open world game anymore, since to do that realistically, gamers would have to move across the sandbox with a certain amount of freedom and you can't do that if you have to hide from the police, media and cameras all the time. And also dodging vehicles and traffic don't forget.

4) So basically to make a real modern day game you have to make a Assassin's Creed game without climbing famous landmarks, without the social stealth mechanic, without open-world. In shors an Assassin's Creed game where you can't do any of the stuff in the earlier games. They will also have to move to using guns but I think a better option is to do a total stealth game where you basically have to kill a target using means that cannot leave a evidence, basically the game will be one part assasination, another part "cleaning" or deleting evidence from the crime. So you have to find ways to use a particular kind of poison, knifes that can't easily be traced(the Hidden Blade could actually be useful here), sneak around and move through camera relays, avoid bloodshed. In other words, it will become Splinter Cell or something else.

The Assassin's Creed gameplay was very carefully thought of and applied to the historical setting via the Animus because they knew what they were doing, at least in the earlier games. For Parkour to work and allow you to traverse a city with no need for a car or horse, those cities have to be "small", so older medieval cities are more convincing, to climb buildings it has to be older architecture where even the tall structures aren't the skyscrapers today. Its easier to do social stealth in a medieval society without the modern forensics and cameras, blending is still a stretch but within possibilities. The reason why they used the Animus and introduce the modern day was to allow them freedom, they can shift from one protagonist to another, they can go from one time setting to another. They even created a franchise-inside-a-franchise with the Ezio games. It also allows them to make the best pirate game ever.

That is why I suggest a game based in First Civ. You can design it anyway you want and have the same gameplay and it fits your story. I agree a modern era game would be more awkward.

RinoTheBouncer
11-28-2014, 05:18 PM

I agree with most of your points. I personally would do anything for a First Civ. game, hell even a game set in Sumerian times. That would be epic, cause those nations were so heavily inspired by gods and monsters and hell, they even have cuneiform tablets that claim that some of their kings live for/reigned for 43,000 years. Now that sounds a lot like First Civ. members to me. I know they First Civ. ended millennia earlier, but we don’t know if some did survive. Perhaps some did and perhaps others appeared as holograms and that’s how they ruled. I mean how simple minded the people were that time? don’t you think they can believe that this hologram is a god? I think that’s totally possible.

Regarding a modern day game, let’s not forget that even the historical parts of the game aren’t really that realistic, either. I mean walking around town in a hooded outfit that screams that you’re up to no good, attacking soldiers and and getting away with it just because you sat on a bench, stood among a few prostitutes or scholars is very non-sensical. Not to mention how tailing someone makes them only suspicious when they see you. They’re not suspicious of anyone else in the street, even if they were walking shoulder to shoulder with them. Yet you, of all those, are not allowed to be walking in that street. Not to mention how “restricted areas” allow everyone but you to enter as if they’re scanning everybody’s ID cards upon entry, or the guards that track you even if they don’t know what you did, just because someone else saw you, as if they have walkie-talkies.

The Leap of Faith itself is non-sense. I don’t see how a haystack can protect anyone jumping from a 5 story building or a tower. Yes, the Animus could justify some stuff, but I found the Animus to be pretty biased towards certain actions. Like say desynchronizing when you’re asked not to be seen, but in reality, you were only seen the moment you stabbed the soldier, so does that count as detection? I don’t think so. But if the Animus is that strict, then maybe, but if that’s so, then it should be strict even about losing your trackers just because you broke the line of sight or stood among a few citizens.

I believe they can pull of something in modern day just the way some games like Mirror’s Edge managed to do. I mean it’s gonna be challenging, but eventually, they’re gonna have to resort to some unrealistic stuff. I mean there are these Russian kids in real life who climbed sky scrappers and very tall structures around the world and they’re not in jail, as far as I know. So I’m sure a skilled Assassin can pull that off.

Regarding surveillance cameras, they could either make it harder by forcing you to avoid or disable cameras, or have the Assassin Brotherhood hack the cameras and blur your face like in W_D, perhaps.

DeanOMiite
11-28-2014, 07:14 PM
I don't like the present day stuff personally and wouldn't be interested in a full game of it. Maybe they could do it as a peripheral, like a companion app that focuses on the present? For me though, AC is about history and exploring the cities. I LOVE the history they provide you in the database. Personally I like the way Unity did the present day stuff, not ignoring it completely but just putting it in the background. In Black Flag having to do reasonably complicated missions for 15-20 minutes at a time was really annoying, I just wanted to sail around and sink ships!

wickywoowoo
11-28-2014, 07:19 PM
I don't like the present day stuff personally and wouldn't be interested in a full game of it. Maybe they could do it as a peripheral, like a companion app that focuses on the present? For me though, AC is about history and exploring the cities. I LOVE the history they provide you in the database. Personally I like the way Unity did the present day stuff, not ignoring it completely but just putting it in the background. In Black Flag having to do reasonably complicated missions for 15-20 minutes at a time was really annoying, I just wanted to sail around and sink ships!

I preferred the modern stuff over sinking ships but my money isn't as good to Ubisoft apparently. I know I am not alone though yet people who like what we like are marginalized.

DeanOMiite
11-28-2014, 07:34 PM
I preferred the modern stuff over sinking ships but my money isn't as good to Ubisoft apparently. I know I am not alone though yet people who like what we like are marginalized.

I don't think it's fair to say you're marginalized by Ubisoft or your money isn't as good to Ubisoft since the present day stuff from day one has functioned in the background of all games. It wasn't even revealed that there was a present day story in these games until like a week or two before AC1 came out, and even then it was treated as a subplot. It's cool if you like the present and I don't fault you for that, that's your choice and we don't have to agree. I just think that saying you're marginalized because of this doesn't make a lot of sense, that would be like saying you're marginalized by the writers of Seinfeld because they didn't do a whole episode about Newman.

wickywoowoo
11-28-2014, 07:36 PM
I don't think it's fair to say you're marginalized by Ubisoft or your money isn't as good to Ubisoft since the present day stuff from day one has functioned in the background of all games. It wasn't even revealed that there was a present day story in these games until like a week or two before AC1 came out, and even then it was treated as a subplot. It's cool if you like the present and I don't fault you for that, that's your choice and we don't have to agree. I just think that saying you're marginalized because of this doesn't make a lot of sense, that would be like saying you're marginalized by the writers of Seinfeld because they didn't do a whole episode about Newman.

That's exactly how I felt. Like George was better than Newman....

DeanOMiite
11-28-2014, 07:41 PM
That's exactly how I felt. Like George was better than Newman....

Lol, even as I wrote that I was like "actually a whole Newman episode would have been awesome!" My point though was just, I don't think Ubi is cheating us by not putting something that was a subplot all along into the forefront or making it into its own game.

LeeroyGearSolid
11-28-2014, 08:33 PM
There is already Splinter Cell Blacklist ;)

Layytez
11-28-2014, 09:19 PM
Modern day game ? Wouldn't work. A First Civ game ? Hell ****ing yes. It will tie directly to the purpose in the modern day and will still have us going into the past. Only this time it will be fresh because it's based on a time that Ubisoft have designed and not something you can google in 5 seconds. What I care about is the First Civ and the only reason why people want more modern day is because thats the only place where it is explored more and has ties to why we are reliving memories.Imagining seeing all those First Civ temples and structures just sends shivers down my spine. Not to mention possibly seeing how the human race was created and how they were treated. Wonderful

wickywoowoo
11-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Modern day game ? Wouldn't work. A First Civ game ? Hell ****ing yes. It will tie directly to the purpose in the modern day and will still have us going into the past. Only this time it will be fresh because it's based on a time that Ubisoft have designed and not something you can google in 5 seconds. What I care about is the First Civ and the only reason why people want more modern day is because thats the only place where it is explored more and has ties to why we are reliving memories.Imagining seeing all those First Civ temples and structures just sends shivers down my spine. Not to mention possibly seeing how the human race was created and how they were treated. Wonderful

I agree.

mikeyf1999
11-28-2014, 09:55 PM
. Not to mention possibly seeing how the human race was created and how they were treated

Pretty sure this was answered back in ac2
Agree with the rest though

Layytez
11-29-2014, 03:13 AM
Pretty sure this was answered back in ac2
Agree with the rest though
I mean to actually see it being done live.

Rafe Harwood
11-29-2014, 03:17 AM
I mean to actually see it being done live.

It would be interesting to see how the Juno thing actually got started. We have been given info about it, but not actually played it.

That could work well on both the modern day setting and the history bit, so in essence a real AC game :)

hood3dassassin5
11-29-2014, 05:53 AM
I actually do think it would work(as long as it didn't focus on having us reliving memories). A modern day game would be able to deliver choices the best. Although a first civ game would also be interesting

Rafe Harwood
11-29-2014, 06:10 AM
I actually do think it would work(as long as it didn't focus on having us reliving memories). A modern day game would be able to deliver choices the best. Although a first civ game would also be interesting

The reliving memories thing is how you die (without being killed lol). Descynchronisation has always been part of AC.

It's also kind of important for setting goals. Those are not just some random goal as to whether you get 100%, they are whether you lived the memory correctly :)

hood3dassassin5
11-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Yeah, they could always change it so that instead it just says "death" every time you die lol

And yeah, I figured that's why they introduced optional objectives in the first place, as a challenge. They dont need to get rid of optional objectives complete, just make it uneeded for full sync(making it more optional:D)

I just wish there was way more choices in AC games.