PDA

View Full Version : Bugs don't make a game bad, it makes the developers look bad

WaltMickey
11-27-2014, 04:05 AM
Everyone's been saying Unity is a terrible game because of its technical issues. I want to argue that technical issues don't make the game itself bad. Look at it this way: if we removed all bugs from the equation, Unity is a great addition to the series. The gameplay mechanics were completely overhauled and playing as an assassin has never been more exciting. The story lacked, but that's beside the point. In the end, Unity is a great game and plays really well when it does.

In saying that bugs make Unity a bad game is misleading since that's not technically true. They don't change the fact that parkour is probably the best in market, or that stealth is better than ever in the series. You can't even say when the bugs make the game unplayable it makes the game bad. What I'm saying is technical issues ONLY have consequences for the developers, not the game itself. These issues can be resolved with patches, if they're done right, and when they are done right Unity is a great game.

I think it's unfair for people to say "Unity is a terrible game because of all the bugs", because Unity is actually a great game - when it plays smoothly. I think those arguments would be more valid if people said "Unity is a terrible game because the story was subpar" or "Unity is a terrible game because it didn't have all the great features from previous titles". What I'm trying to get at is that a game is as good as the mechanics that exist within it, not bugs that can be resolved because they don't change the heart of the game. Instead, it would make more sense if people said "Ubisoft is terrible because they released a game with so many bugs". I just want to give Unity, the game, the credit it deserves.

Battlefield 4 launched with a ton of bugs, but those issues have been resolved and I would personally say it's the best shooter in the game (pun intended).

So for all of those who are on the fence about picking up Unity, I'd say do it because the game is great and with these patches that are frequently coming out it'll only get better.

Megas_Doux
11-27-2014, 04:17 AM
I kinda disagree with you, even though I think Unity is a good game without the issues. Thing is that, to some users, those issues are pretty frequent and way too annoying. I dont blame the developers entirely though, but the corporates and their greed instead. In fact I kinda feel bad for the developers that, for example, worked so hard recreating Paris. Having games released annually is just insane.