PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think the outfits/clothing in Unity look ugly?

MontrossXGMR
11-26-2014, 02:57 AM
So I am referring to the customisable hoods, chest, legs, etc that you can equip Arno with. Most of them to me just look very bland or weird looking and do not fit the Assassin look to me. Very few of the clothing pieces even give Arno a proper cape that we were used to in the previous games. And another problem is that once you buy the master or legendary gear there is no reason to ever go back to the lower level gear even if they aesthetically look better.

Even the color schemes are pretty bland looking IMO. I thought Rogue had much better looking outfits compared to Unity, for example the Assassin killer outift in Rogue is one of the most awesome looking outfits Ive ever seen in an AC game.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/274/7/f/assassin_killer_outfit_by_sunsetagain-d816jdn.jpg

Freyr1983
11-26-2014, 03:07 AM
I think Arno clothing design is great. imo :)

SixKeys
11-26-2014, 03:57 AM
Lol, "proper cape". Not every assassin is supposed to have a cape. Alta´r didn't. Desmond didn't. Edward didn't. Connor didn't. In fact, Ezio is the only one who had a cape, I think.

I love Unity's outfits. They're period-accurate, hence why you may think they're "weird-looking" or have unusual color schemes.

As for "the assassin look", the whole point of customization is that you're allowed to make the assassin look however you want. In previous games you only had a few armor options, most of them ugly. I love being able to dress Arno in military style, as a revolutionary with a Phrygian cap, a more traditional assassin or a member of the bourgoisie. It really helps the illusion that he can blend into the crowd in any environment.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 04:09 AM
I think they need to do away with the hood. The later the time period, the weirder the hood looks.

Personally, I don't care about the outfits - I wear the stuff that gives me the best stats. It would be nice if we could wear whatever looked best, but as with so much of this game, Ubisoft didn't exactly think things through, so we only have clothing customization if we're willing to sacrifice our combat abilities.

Dev_Anj
11-26-2014, 04:17 AM
Please define the "assassin look." Because my understanding was that assassins were supposed to blend with crowds, not wear capes and carry bows, axes, swords etc very prominently.

Yes, I also think they need to do away with the hood. It made sense only in AC1, after that it's just ridiculous.

GoldenBoy9999
11-26-2014, 05:09 AM
I 100% agree with SixKeys. His/her (sorry I can't remember) avatar is great opposition to this thread. I think the customization itself is one of the strongest aspects of this game. How you unlock some of it is a different story. I loved how period-specific the outfits were. Although I do like Rogue's outfit, they still lack variety because they are one-piece outfits. As said before, assassins don't require, and are not defined by capes. Overall, I'm in love with Unity's outfits and I can't wait to advance to the higher ranks of them.

Ygdrasel
11-26-2014, 05:40 AM
there is no reason to ever go back to the lower level gear even if they aesthetically look better.

Except "they aesthetically look better" is a reason so maybe try not to contradict yourself. :rolleyes:

My only issue with the options is that there's no way to see how a given assortment of garments will look together until you buy them.

Xstantin
11-26-2014, 06:26 AM
Except "they aesthetically look better" is a reason so maybe try not to contradict yourself. :rolleyes:

I've been doing exactly that switching the outfits back and forth between freeroam and five-diamond missions since I still find the default look the best.

AdamPearce
11-26-2014, 06:34 AM
My only concern on Unity's outfit is the colors. Out of the 3 dozen we are given, there is like 6 that fit the characters. All the rest is just out of the way or simply too flashy to be taken seriously. I get it's for the coop and stuff but still, who the hell would color is Assassin all in flashy pinky purple while the environnements are shades of grey, blue, and beige...

Ygdrasel
11-26-2014, 06:46 AM
My only concern on Unity's outfit is the colors. Out of the 3 dozen we are given, there is like 6 that fit the characters. All the rest is just out of the way or simply too flashy to be taken seriously. I get it's for the coop and stuff but still, who the hell would color is Assassin all in flashy pinky purple while the environments are shades of grey, blue, and beige...

Back in Ezio's shoes, I always wore the brightest red available. Something about my enemy's last sight being a flash of vivid red before an altogether different sort of red pooled at their feet...

Some like to be silent unseen killers. Others like to terrorize (if only in their heads, because enemy AI doesn't feel terror in AC). :)

Ygdrasel
11-26-2014, 06:51 AM
I've been doing exactly that switching the outfits back and forth between freeroam and five-diamond missions since I still find the default look the best.

I haven't hit any really hard missions yet but if at all possible, I'll avoid switching just for stats. Completing a mission while still looking stylish may prove a nice challenge.

AdamPearce
11-26-2014, 07:06 AM
Back in Ezio's shoes, I always wore the brightest red available. Something about my enemy's last sight being a flash of vivid red before an altogether different sort of red pooled at their feet...

Some like to be silent unseen killers. Others like to terrorize (if only in their heads, because enemy AI doesn't feel terror in AC). :)

Yeah tho' in Ezio's time the color was a clean pourpre, a bit like Arno's scarf, it was decent and charming. What I'm reffering to is the ridiculous red flash one piece you get in the final colors, it's a over satturated light redded costume, and ugly as hell.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/48/1416981982-wildfire.png

Ygdrasel
11-26-2014, 08:53 AM
Yeah tho' in Ezio's time the color was a clean pourpre, a bit like Arno's scarf, it was decent and charming. What I'm reffering to is the ridiculous red flash one piece you get in the final colors, it's a over satturated light redded costume, and ugly as hell.

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/48/1416981982-wildfire.png

Looks like a bright red, same as Ezio wore. I find the various straps and such uglier than the color, really.

Latte10010
11-26-2014, 10:32 AM
I absolutely agree with MontrossXGMR , Arno's cloth are mostly really bland and the ugliest among the series.
The worst part is that you can't have many choices among ugliest because you rather choose it by strength, not design.
Right now, my Arno looks like a moron, sadly I had no choice because I had to choose one by health meter..

For example, AC4 had so many choices. I miss its variety.
I WANT more outfits regardless its strength. I'd love to pay some extra 3-5 Euro for DLC if there are some cool ones.

rrebe
11-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Even though I think some of the clothes and colours make Arno look a bit ridiculous, as a whole the wardrobe is pretty cool and offers some great mixes (given that the pieces are unlocked).

Im2aKillerfish
11-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Some pieces of clothing are good, some bad. I'm currently satisfied on how my Arno looks, my only gripe is that the best items are still locked. And that the most silent trousers look like clown pants.
I'm focusing on Range and stealth; Arno looks Badass with a rifle on his back, and his chest clothing looks like a jean jacket (Second best sneaking chest piece, I think)

And I wish we could change the colour of each piece of clothing, instead of these set options. Like in the MP mode of Uncharted 3.

P.S: I Wildfire was actually the first color I switched into when customization became available. I soon changed to grey, and now I'm using the third blue color from the first column.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 12:33 PM
The one outfit I really dislike is the effete blue one you get for completing the story. It makes Arno look like a complete tosser. It's like "Look at me, I'm Arno the gay blade!"

wvstolzing
11-26-2014, 01:39 PM
I love being able to dress Arno in military style, as a revolutionary with a Phrygian cap, a more traditional assassin or a member of the bourgoisie. It really helps the illusion that he can blend into the crowd in any environment.

Yes, except that with legendary gear, it's still not possible to do that coherently, since only parts of each armor is available --- so you have mix & match. Right now my character wears a mostly legendary-level armor, which looks pretty silly, because each component comes from a different style.

Oh, and the ugliest outfit in AC by far is Ezio's layers of bathtowels in ACB; and ubisoft seems to love those for some reason.
Maybe they're Douglas Adams fans, and this is just to emphasize that Ezio is a guy who 'knows where his towel is'.

king-hailz
11-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Your right.... although I like my daredevil arno is still looks wrong! I really dislike it!

Latte10010
11-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Oh my god, some of you guys' comments are really funny!!!
My Arno looked like a moron because "because each component comes from a different style." I had no choice.

However, my complain is over now. I just got a Shay's outfit from an Initiate chest at Sorbonne, which I found really cool!
I'm also trying to get a one from Nostradamus Enigmas , which seems decent to me.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 04:21 PM
I think once Arno gets the Legendary outfit in any particular style (i.e. Napoleonic, Sans-Culotte, Prowler etc.), he should be able to wear any of the lesser versions of that style and still get all the Legendary armor bonuses. This would free up the player to go with any look he/she preferred.

As the game stands, if you want the best bonuses (and who doesn't) you have to choose only the Legendary armor. It's kinda limiting.

And whose decision was it to have most of the Legendary armor choices unlockable only through the "club competition" feature that is still (as far as I'm aware - I've been unable to play the game for a few days) not implemented in the game. That was fricken stupid.

brotersinarms
11-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Well they have to ditch that ridiculous Hood. It's not the Medieval or Renaissance ages anymore, and so i just don't understand why they continue it. I mean you can give people a few choices in wearing them, but it seems Assassins Creed, and in fact many Ubisoft Titles of late seem to drop the ball with Outfits.

I have Rogue, but even still, the first couple of hours of the game you're stuck with the Hood, and the Outfit choices mostly look the same or make no sense. How do you have a Viking Outfit or Templar Knight Outfit from the medieval ages, but don't have a simple French or British soldier Outfit? There were some decent Outfits for the Rogue Collectors Edition, but they were only available for Pre Order in Europe.

Just give me a Tricorne Hat for crying loud, or the ability to craft one. At least blend in with the game.

Ordinarily, i would be hopeful for DLC in this regard, but the past with Assassins Creed doesn't show much promise . Assassins Creed 3 i was stuck looking like some Batman comic character the whole game, and instead of giving me the Haytham Outfit, they gave me an Altaire Outfit and Prisoner Outfit. Ridiculous. They just don't "get it" over there at Ubisoft.

rrebe
11-26-2014, 04:49 PM
Oh my god, some of you guys' comments are really funny!!!
My Arno looked like a moron because "because each component comes from a different style." I had no choice.

However, my complain is over now. I just got a Shay's outfit from an Initiate chest at Sorbonne, which I found really cool!
I'm also trying to get a one from Nostradamus Enigmas , which seems decent to me.

lol yes, every time going to the customization menu has me thinking to myself "Does these pants go with these boots? ..Nope. How about these ones? Oh yes."

Oh yeah, Shay's outfit is awesome, I'm using it now. I love that it has no hood.. :rolleyes:

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 04:59 PM
Well they have to ditch that ridiculous Hood...

They should have done away with it in AC2. I can't believe we're still forced to wear it in the 18th Century. No man wore hoods in the 18th Century - in this era hoods were a woman's thing. Men wore hats.

Just give me a Tricorne Hat for crying loud, or the ability to craft one. At least blend in with the game.

At least Aveline had a tricorne hat. Then again, a woman wearing a tricorne in the 1800s is nearly as stupid as a man wearing a hood.

At least in Black Flag there were a few outfits that actually looked like a real pirate's outfit. In Unity it's impossible to look like any contemporary person of the era. Instead, the only option we have is to go around looking like a complete tosspot.

If a real person had gone around Paris wearing ANY of the outfits Arno wears in the game, people would have burst out laughing. The only outfit that comes close to a normal late 18th Century outfit is Shay's outfit from Rogue. And that outfit is bugged, so if you use it at the wrong time, you may lose it.

MontrossXGMR
11-26-2014, 05:05 PM
lmao some funny responses here.

Personally I am waiting to unlock Shays Templar armor once my game stops crashing all the time when im connected to the internet.

Aesthetically I think it is one of the best looking outfits in the game......ironic that an outfit from Rogue looks better than most of the clothing options in Unity

brotersinarms
11-26-2014, 05:06 PM
You're right. I just don't think they "get it" over there. They always do things *ss backwards. I truely can't figure out how they make descisons lol. You have Aveline dressed properly for the time period for a MAN (a woman nonetheless a black woman would be shot on sight in those days looking like that), yet the male characters look out of the medieval ages. A Redcoat or Patriot Outfit perhaps? These just seem like no brainers to me.

Xstantin
11-26-2014, 05:07 PM
I haven't hit any really hard missions yet but if at all possible, I'll avoid switching just for stats. Completing a mission while still looking stylish may prove a nice challenge.

I like having a lot of lockpicks for instance but not a fan of Phantom belts.

MontrossXGMR
11-26-2014, 05:08 PM
Or even better Ubisoft could give us the option to equip or remove our hood whenever we want

Megas_Doux
11-26-2014, 05:25 PM
Hell no!!!

I dig like 80% of the outfits!

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 05:35 PM
You're right. I just don't think they "get it" over there. They always do things *ss backwards. I truely can't figure out how they make descisons lol. You have Aveline dressed properly for the time period for a MAN (a woman nonetheless a black woman would be shot on sight in those days looking like that), yet the male characters look out of the medieval ages. A Redcoat or Patriot Outfit perhaps? These just seem like no brainers to me.

What they need is to use the costume consultants they must use for the NPCs, and get them to have final approval of the protagonist's outfit.

What they probably have now is some 20 year-old 1%er ****gobbler with a fricken MBA who says "Keep the hood - it's iconic - and get me a latte, have my BMW waxed and cancel my pedicure".

brotersinarms
11-26-2014, 05:40 PM
What they need is to use the costume consultants they must use for the NPCs, and get them to have final approval of the protagonist's outfit.

What they probably have now is some 20 year-old 1%er ****gobbler with a fricken MBA who says "Keep the hood - it's iconic - and get me a latte, have my BMW waxed and cancel my pedicure".

Yeah all they really need to do is have a kid in the 3rd grade bring in one of his history books and show them how they dressed during that time period.

Megas_Doux
11-26-2014, 05:57 PM
None of Ezio┤s outfits are "100% accurate" to begin with:

1 Real XV and XVI century clothing:

http://world4.eu/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/italian-renaissance-costume-001.jpg

http://world4.eu/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Ottoman-Empire-Costumes-0918.jpg

http://www.renaissance-spell.com/Images/Renaissance-Clothing/Renaissance-Clothing-Men.jpg

http://citelighter-cards.s3.amazonaws.com/p17broce62pr41pjj1t4si44k3n0_36684.jpg

2 Ezio:

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131014134656/assassinscreed/images/6/66/ACI-Ezio.png

But who cares!!!!! Is GODZIO!!!!!!!!!

Again, they have to combine both history and an a "badazz" look, in Unity there are A LOT of outfits that fit the era, some could fit a noble, others a peasant and others a militar.

brotersinarms
11-26-2014, 06:02 PM
I think the point is they have to give you many more practical choices. This isn't a 3rd rate Developer here. I'm almost convinced, if Ubisoft created Red Dead Redemption, they would dress Marston up in a Franciscan Monk Outfit, with other choices including a Rattlesnake Outfit, Cave Dweller Outfit, Roman Emperor Outfit, anything BUT a Cowboy Outfit. I actually believe that at this point.

wvstolzing
11-26-2014, 06:08 PM
And the Roman Emperor Outfit would have a purple hood with golden lining.

This thread reminds me of the super-silly outfits I had for CJ in GTA San Andreas.

DraconisLupus
11-26-2014, 06:11 PM
One of the things that I thought was the weirdest was the fact that the forearm options only changed one hand so most of the time you are running around with mismatching gloves. Currently I'm sticking with Shay's because I'm not super impressed with the options either. And honestly none of the color combinations improve the look. Plus I think Ezio's Brutus armor is one of the best looking that they have had and should have been an option. As well as ACR's outfit.

Megas_Doux
11-26-2014, 06:12 PM
This is the way I see it:

European Clothing from XV to late XVIII is pretty "dumb and over the top looking" for our standarts, Check the images I used for what it should have been Ezio┤s outfits for instance, that is not "badazz" enough for a protagonist of a video game.

Ezio┤s outfit in Revelations does not even look remotely accurate for a game set in early XVI Constantinople for example.

brotersinarms
11-26-2014, 06:20 PM
This is the way I see it:

European Clothing from XV to late XVIII is pretty "dumb and over the top looking" for our standarts, Check the images I used for what it should have been Ezio┤s outfits for instance, that is not "badazz" enough for a protagonist of a video game.

Ezio┤s outfit in Revelations does not even look remotely accurate for a game set in early XVI Constantinople for example.

Well we're not dealing with the Renaissance here. It makes sense to give people a French Soldier Outfit, a British Soldier Outfit, a Patriot Outfit etc. If you want to dress up like Ezio in the mist of Revolution, fine. However, again, we just need choices practical to the time period at hand.

Megas_Doux
11-26-2014, 06:32 PM
What I meant though, is that a "100% accurate outfit" may look silly mostly for European clothing from XV to XVIII centuries. And Yet, in Unity there are MANY outfits that fit the era with the exception of the hood. And what is why I dont agree with the OP and some others here at all.....

Pr0metheus 1962
11-26-2014, 06:36 PM
I really think, at this point, that they became so enamored with the city itself (i.e. getting the architecture and the setting to be perfect), that they figured we'd all be so in awe of it that we wouldn't care about anything else in the game, so they just didn't bother putting much thought into anything else.

Megas_Doux
11-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Nah!!!!

This game has flaws, but to me customization is definitely NOT one of them. In fact sometimes I just cant decide which combo of outfit/weapons to use.

DraconisLupus
11-26-2014, 06:59 PM
The comboing is a good thing. It is just that the looks could have been better.

Latte10010
11-27-2014, 05:47 AM
Did you guys just see the new outfits after Patch3 for Dead Kings DLC ? (it's going to be free)
a Napoleon look, an Iron-mask guy look, and some new Assassin looks with shabby garments.
I actually like them.

I'll never go back to piece by piece customized outfit anymore...
I once made my Arno flashy red for co-op mission to be different, then some others were in green, purple, white...
It only reminds me seven dwarfs from a Disney movie "Snow White" ( but no princess Snow White and three dwarfs were missing.)
Really, they looked so silly to me. It wasn't like a trailer movie.

Another thing I'm angry is that many strong pieces are locked for "club competition" which isn't available.

wvstolzing
11-27-2014, 06:07 AM
I'll definitely enjoy dressing up as Napoleon, and slicing people's throats on the streets. The game could as well be called 'The Sociopath Simulator 2014' at that point.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2014, 12:49 PM
Did you guys just see the new outfits after Patch3 for Dead Kings DLC ? (it's going to be free)
a Napoleon look, an Iron-mask guy look, and some new Assassin looks with shabby garments..

Could you post a link? I can't find any images of the outfits.

I wasn't going to get Dead Kings, but if the outfits are better than the ridiculous choices we have now, I might be tempted (especially since it's now free).

hapkidolaurent
11-27-2014, 01:17 PM
maybe somone else allready mentioned it but for me its more like that ubisoft is forcing us to take the newest armor , so you dont die in 2 or 3 hits and this is pretty annoying. Even if it makes sense that there are different kinds of armors like the middle-age one I dont really like their styles. Though I really like the original armor of Arno (the advanced one is also not bad) but then it hasnt the best stats which is annoying. Even the masterversion of arnos hoodie doesnt look quite good as the 2 original hoodies...

Pr0metheus 1962
11-27-2014, 01:23 PM
Just found a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8p1cgTGwEc

I dunno. All the ones that have any potential have the ludicrous hood. The "iron mask" one looks particularly stupid, while the Napoleon one looks too military to me. What on Earth is Arno wearing on his legs in the tattered outfit and the Man in the Iron Mask outfit? Are those late 17th Century thigh-length boots with long puttees over them? I mean, WTF? The whole point of long boots is that you DON'T need puttees. There's certainly no point in wrapping puttees around long boots.

So there's still no regular "man on the street" outfit. I feel Arno is destined to look like a knob-end forever.

And why an iron mask? Yet another piece of evidence that Ubisoft are just throwing in anything vaguely French and history-based into the game. The real man in the iron mask died 80 years before the events of the game and his mask was actually velvet, not iron. I just feel that players would have been better served if Ubisoft had stuck to the actual history and worked to get the details right, rather than throwing any tidbit of vague rumor and myth into the game. The Saint-Just Paris Story is the silliest example of this so far, but if we get an iron mask outfit, it shows things can get sillier.

RinoTheBouncer
11-27-2014, 01:28 PM
I agree about not wanting to go back to lower level outfits.

I mean I was all for the outfits having a significant role in gameplay as well, but some outfits are just weak and given that the combat is significantly more challenging than pervious games, you tend to wanna get every piece of armor and protection you can get, so it wouldn’t make sense to go backwards to an outfit with say 20% Health increase and choose it over one that gives you 80% Health and 45% stealth.

So it’s sort of like you’re forced to stick with the strong ones even if they’re ugly or you get tired of them and your only choice is to mix and match a random set of gear from pieces that do not match and equip an outfit to cover the mess up. Honestly, I hoped that the outfits section will offer more than just legendary outfits, but some new uniforms, in addition and I’m excited for Dead Kings cause it’ll offer some good variety.