PDA

View Full Version : Difficult to re-create history online

Dr_fuzz
05-02-2004, 08:02 PM
I was wondering how hard it would be to really recreate historic battles. By that I mean we all have the advantage of foresight in a battle and thus can mitigate otherwise chance events.

A good example would be the battle of Midway. We all know that the American dive bombers came in when the Japanese top cover was busy chewing up the low and slow torpedo bombers. So more than likely anyone playing the Japanese squadron would know this and could thus split their defence to meet both threats at once.

So my question is how can historic events be created online (other than spawning planes at points in time when there is little they can do about the events). Is it possible????

Fuzz

Dr_fuzz
05-02-2004, 08:02 PM
I was wondering how hard it would be to really recreate historic battles. By that I mean we all have the advantage of foresight in a battle and thus can mitigate otherwise chance events.

A good example would be the battle of Midway. We all know that the American dive bombers came in when the Japanese top cover was busy chewing up the low and slow torpedo bombers. So more than likely anyone playing the Japanese squadron would know this and could thus split their defence to meet both threats at once.

So my question is how can historic events be created online (other than spawning planes at points in time when there is little they can do about the events). Is it possible????

Fuzz

Pentallion
05-02-2004, 08:52 PM
If you wanted to reacreate the dive bombing attack at Midway you'd have to start the mission with the Zeros already down low engaged with the torpedo bombers.

http://www.simops.com/249th/sigs/Wildcard.jpg

Latico
05-03-2004, 12:46 AM
Yes, but splitting the Japanese air CAP might allow some of the TB's to get through. I read once that the Commander of the Carrier forces was so confident in the Zero squadrons that he ordered all ships to hold their AA fire and let his pilots take care of the attackers. At least at first he did.

Now, if you intend to re-create the flights to make a movie, then everyone is going to have to stick to the script. Hmmm.........an interesting idea.

Spectre-63
05-03-2004, 01:08 AM
I see your point about knowledge of history interfering with your ability to faithfully recreate historic events. It does allow you, however, to do "What If" scenarios...how much difference would it have made if the Japanese CAP had been split? Now you can find out! http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

http://home.comcast.net/~mjmcmahon672/images/Sig_Small.gif

05-03-2004, 07:24 AM
You are correct about trying to re fight Historic Battles, it would be virtualy impossible as we have the advantage of Hindsight.
However you would still be able to fight as an individual or team in a larger Battle.

As for Midway, there isnt any way the US forces could win second time around, the Japanese just had too many aircraft carriers and ships.
The element of surprise derived from good intelligence won the Battle of Midway for the USA before the first plane took off from any carrier.
To try and repeat History would only see the Japanese put superior numbers of Dive bombers, torpedoe bombers and fighters into the Air.

Their primary target the 3 American carriers, end of story.

S!

Latico
05-03-2004, 04:56 PM
I think in order to re-fight WWII in the Pacific we would almost have to start all over from the start, and work from there.

What I mean is, for the ultimate "what if", we would have to create vertual Leaders of the Nations involved, with vertual Chiefs of Staffs, and everything below that. War plans would have to be worked out, vertual military forces created and deployed, etc., etc., etc.

I think you would also have to conduct a vertual war in the ETO at the same time since Germany and Italy were Axis powers and in some ways, the outcome in the ETO did have some affect in the PTO.

OK, we need somebody to be FDR, an Enlishman to be Churchill. Who wants to be Stallin? Then we need an Adolph H., Mussilini, and Heroito (spelling?)

Ya see what I'm getting at? It would be a massive undertaking, but it might could be done online. WWII would be faught in an entirely different way I'm sure. Would be interesting to find out the outcome.