PDA

View Full Version : Amazing little things they got right in Unity.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Okay, sure, so much of this game sucks, it's hard to find the good stuff amongst all the bad.

But there are some little touches that just make the game cool. This thread is for the little things that people might not notice, that add to the sense of immersion.

I just noticed one of them today:

When the sun is low in the sky (evening and morning), NPCs who are looking into the sun actually shade their eyes from the glare. Some even cry out because of it.

Also, Arno's shadow is cast perfectly, even onto distant buildings - no more of those basic shadows that only get cast in the 6ft surrounding your character.

Gladiaattori1500
11-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Why is this game bad?

According to the internet every game is horrible

luck7s15
11-24-2014, 09:56 PM
Something I noticed today when playing offline was when you kill a guard and another guard notices the body they say something like "Oh my God what happened to (Rank) (Surname)". Which I thought was a nice touch other than there is another dead NPC.

I remember when my girlfriend was playing AC2 and she said the guard coughed, I had never noticed they never lived that long to do something like that.

It those little touches that add to the game.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-24-2014, 10:07 PM
Why is this game bad? According to the internet every game is horrible

Well then, according to the internet, this game is even more horrible than most. I'm guessing all the bugs and the fact that it's barely playable have something to do with it. My personal experience is that I can't get Arno to even use his sword or his guns half the time I try, and he keeps getting stuck on buildings, won't go through doors or windows, can't shoot guards in plain sight, won't double-assassinate guards who are standing together, etc., etc., etc., and I think the missions are all too repetitive, and the ending sucks. But at least my characters have skin on their faces (which is not the case for everyone).

Anyway, like I said, this thread is not about that. There are plenty of other threads for people to pretend that there's nothing wrong with the game, but here is not the place.

But thanks for the bump.

Pandassin
11-24-2014, 10:41 PM
I actually really enjoyed Unity.

I love all the little animations Arno does in the Café Theatre that make it more immersive, such as drinking a cup of coffee while watching a play, warming his hands by the fire at night, leaning on the balcony to get a nice view of Paris, sitting down when reading Élise's letters, etc.

If they weren't there I wouldn't be spending nearly half as much time in there. They made the Café Theatre feel like an actual home for Arno to relax. It's so great.

I also like how you can hear the Church bells of the Notre Dame in the distance, it's a really nice feature.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 01:10 AM
I like how, when you use a disguise and disguise yourself as a soldier, the other soldiers say "Hello Sergeant" or "Hello Captain" depending on the rank of the guy you copied.

DynaRider
11-25-2014, 02:44 AM
Arno was in the basement at the top of the curving stairs in the Cafe Theater checking his stats in a book. There was an assassin standing behind him on the other side of the hallway and another guy sitting in a chair a few feet away. Somebody passed gas. The sound was unmistakable but I have no idea who did it.

SolidSage
11-25-2014, 04:02 AM
The way Arno knee slides when you charge and shoot with a rifle.

There are plenty of legit glitches with this game but when I hear some complaints it's obvious the player hasn't figured the controls out yet. Some people play too fast for the precision requirements in certain instances.

Matt.mc
11-25-2014, 04:45 AM
^ The church bells are a nice touch, every time I hear them I instantly think of ACI.
I never realized until last night how great the little things are in the city, you know why? Because I played; Dream of Venice, Home in Florence, Istanbul and Tour of Venice and found myself stopping, walking slowly, looking around. I had yet to do those things in Unity unitl I had ambient music. It just shows how important it is.
I wonder how high a chance it is for the Devs to put ambient music in one of the patches. Because there is some every now n then, so they just have to play it all the time, it would be great!

SixKeys
11-25-2014, 07:54 AM
This is the thread for me. I can't stop marveling at the amount of details in this game.

-Coffee actually sends off steam.

-Laundry vats bubble.

-When Arno looks at the paintings in the Café Theatre, he holds his hand on his chin like a real art connoisseur.

-Arno often comments on things, like the trophies in the trophy room ("I won't forget that mission in a hurry") and Elise's letters.

-Many NPCs have their own stories. They gossip and comment on each other's behavior.

-One of my favorite moments was when I tackled a thief and a random priest stopped and started to lecture him.

-Parisians will sometimes recognize Arno and greet himt. It's especially fun when I'm apprehending thugs. I'll see a person being harassed, silently walk behind them and just before I strike, the victim says, in a cheerful voice: "Oh, hello there, Arno!" I can just picture the villains being confused for a sec when suddenly a shadow looms over them, they turn around to look at who the citizen is talking to and just as they turn I punch my blade into their gut.

-Couples hold hands when walking down the streets. I read somewhere that this is apparently really difficult to program.

-The amount of NPC animations is INSANE. I came across a painter and his model who was sitting still, posing for him. The artist would occasionally get up and tweak the model's arm or something, then walk back to his painting and the model would ask "Is this better?".

-The performers at the Café Theatre sometimes read the latest news aloud.

-There's one story mission where Arno has to infiltrate a building that's been taken over by Templars after a massacre. There are lots of dead bodies covering the grounds outside. It could be just me, but it seemed to me that when I killed enemies in that environment, the other guards didn't spot the dead bodies as easily as usual. Which totally makes sense because if the ground is littered with corpses, why would they magically notice one more lying on top of the pile?

Chook1980
11-25-2014, 09:22 AM
The smoke that looms over head in the cafe at night

wvstolzing
11-25-2014, 09:26 AM
Yes, people fart.

Chook1980
11-25-2014, 09:32 AM
How the prostitutes ask you to satisfy your curiousity cracks me up

Pr0metheus 1962
11-25-2014, 03:02 PM
I love all the musicians. There are people playing period music throughout the game, in parks, on the street, and using all sorts of instruments. It's great.

On a slightly critical note, I wish the developers would fix the low volume of the NPC music in all the AC games. It's been a problem since at least AC2. It's hard to appreciate the music when even the low hum of distant NPC conversations drowns out musicians playing on the street or even on a stage in a theater, even if Arno is standing as close to the musicians as possible.

Ygdrasel
11-26-2014, 03:04 AM
On the note of couples holding hands: If you forcibly separate them (read: Barrel into them like a drunken ***), they will attempt to find each other again and resume their stroll as opposed to last-gen's behavior where screwing with NPCs gave them sudden amnesia about whatever they were doing before you bumped them.

It's a tad finicky when they have to navigate through crowds to get back together but still a great detail.

Lethalla
11-26-2014, 04:24 AM
It's the little things that always impress me. The way the cloud shadows move over the city. How I've been wandering Paris for hours and I'm still finding NPCs doing things I haven't seen before.
The gossip you overhear one of the maids exchanging with the Cafe Theatre Intendant. How the sunlight shifts on shiny surfaces like polished wood and tile. The fact that I can be on a building like Notre Dame and see the sunshine through two stained glass windows (ie the one I'm next to and the one on the opposite side of the building). Arno's breath. Horses look SOOO much better than in all the previous ACs that had horses. Even that people's feet don't slide on the ground as much as they did in old-gen releases.

With the improvements to how cloth moves so much more naturally in these new (or I suppose current) gen releases it's a shame that bits of clothing like Arno's coat tail can still hang through things like roofs - that's always been one of my pet annoyances. If they can program feet not to slide and to not go through sloping roofs or steps they should be able to tell cloth "that's a solid surface, bend around it".

It's also a shame they couldn't make Arno strike up random conversations with people he's blending with in order to hide from enemies; that would look more natural than standing there like a pillock.
I also wish they'd make hair more realistic...

guest-0VWo3kY1
11-27-2014, 06:22 PM
I swear I remember hearing some woman say, "Ugh, you came on my face."

Ubisoft, you're genius

KG_NOx
11-27-2014, 06:42 PM
When you sit in a bench between two people, arno pretend that he is sleeping

Pr0metheus 1962
12-02-2014, 09:47 PM
I like the theatre productions, especially the ones that feature a man and a woman discussing the revolution and the new freedoms that everyone has.

MakimotoJin
12-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Holy crap.Is Unity having a Rockstar level of details?Why are next-gen consoles so expensive here...

Assassin_M
12-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I can try to remember as much as I can.

Celestine humming one of the patriotic songs heard in social clubs
A LOT of the homestead animations were carried over to NPCs here and they're just amazing. I've come across a lot of different animations and behaviors, it's astonishing.
People you save will face you and thank you for your help.
I once went into a house through the window and the people in there stopped what they were doing and starting coming up to me and shoving me away like guards would.

Bashilir
12-02-2014, 10:30 PM
One of mine, not sure if this was in others but, with street lights, you can actually see bugs flying around them.