PDA

View Full Version : Unity Pros and

DraconisLupus
11-22-2014, 08:11 PM
First off I think a little of my AC history will help to understand some of where my stands on the Pros and Cons come from. My first AC game was Brotherhood, and still my personal favorite. It is also the only one I have played more than once. I then backtracked to AC and then AC2, talk about seeing major improvements go backwards in a franchise. After Brotherhood I have always gotten AC# at release as it is my favorite franchise. I have 100% Sync in all of them to date and I'm currently working on Unity and Rogue. So now on with the Pros and Cons.

Pros and Cons per issue

Roots
Pro
I love the fact that they went back to try to recapture the roots of AC2, I know the developers said that they wanted to go back to AC but the feel of Unity reminds me more of AC2 than AC. Other than counter kills and kill steaks which were not in AC and are not in ACU.

Con
No counter kills and kill steaks. I think this would have been a really good purchase skill for the melee tree. Granted both or either should have cost a pretty penny.
I think that when they went back to the roots of the game the developers dropped many of the really good features that had come along as the franchise evolved. For example, whistling to get an enemies attention and with the new console ambient noise could have become a factor with this.

Customization
Pros
Customization is probably the single best Pro of ACU. To be able to pick the skills you want to have to tailor build your character is great.

Cons
Could have had a lot more options for skills. Many of the cool skills that came along during AC2-AC4 could have been options. For example, counter kills, kills steaks, knife throwing, multiple knife throwing, double assassin blades.

Free Running

Pros
In my opinion ACU has one of the best free running engines yet. I've had a ton fewer times of Arno jumping in the wrong direction or jumping off a high location instead of to the spot 45 degrees the other way that I was aiming at. The run down feature makes up for these fewer directionally challenged moments. I also understand that no free running engine will ever be able to not have these problems. I'm just glad that they were able to reduce the number by the 80-90% that they have since AC2.

Cons
No longer having multiple run speeds and fast walk kind of sucks but is livable. Biggest issue with the current free run engine is going in windows is a pain most of the time and I've had a hard time with the drop feature. Many times I have to mash the B button repeatedly to get him to drop. And even then only after letting go of all the rest of the controls.

Combat

Pros
For the most part I like the new combat engine. I like the pre-attack indicator, the stronge attack indicator, and the fact that the NPCs have gained access to the same combat system as us. It creates more challenging opponents than before.

Cons
No longer are there counter kills and kill steaks. I think three would have been great buyable skills. Now you are stuck with the original AC wait for the enemy to strike so you can block and strike back technique to get his in on stronger enemies. At least AC2 had counter kills.

Eagle Vision

Pros
I love the new eagle vision.it make sense that it would be a burst effect and that it would trade time to re-charge the senses before using it again.

Cons
I can't really see any cons for Eagle Vision. I think it had kind of become over powered after ACB.

Cover

Pros
I like the idea of being able to take cover and have more control over it than in AC3 & AC4.

Cons
I understand that the development team took the cover engine from Watch Dogs but they should have taken the whole engine. In Watch Dogs you can move around the corner of cover on something like a crate but they didn't take that for ACU? In WD you can move much more fluidly when swapping cover spots too.

Stealth

Pros
I like having the triggerable stealth mode, another AC throw back, and thankfully he moves faster than Altair in AC while moving in stealth. It is nice to be able to walk more quietly than normal.

Cons
I haven't really seen a difference on detection between stealth and non-stealth. While in stealth Arno can't even climb over the smallest of obstacles. He can go up and down stairs but anything not considered a stair or ramp is too much for him.

Environmental Blending

Pros
I like that it is a buyable skill.

Cons
Assassinating from a bench should place the victim on the bench like in the past unless the assassinating was done with the high profile trigger pulled. Would have liked to have seen stalker zones in the swamps, wooded, and farm lands. That way buying environmental blending would have been for more than just sitting on benches.

Bodies

Pros
They look better.

Cons
You can't pick them up, another throw back to AC and AC2. The Loot option is no longer automatic, a throw back to AC, AC2, and ACB. Holding B and walking over to the body to automatically Loot is a ton faster and better. And déjà vu with AC, AC2, and ACB off any part of a body, even an arm, is hanging over the edge of a roof then the body will fall off.

Ranged Weapons

Pros
I love the variety of weapons available to buy and upgrade.

Cons
The range of the weapons sucks. I could see the initial range being less than the enemies but a huggable skill should put it out to at least 90% of their range. Instead I've simply forgotten about them due to their lack of range and simply get close enough to engage or assassinate them.

Weapons in General

Pros
Love the shear number of options and that you can't carry one of each at all times. I also like that the assassin's blade is only used for assassinations. Sorry but unlike in ACB that blade would suck for using in a real fight.

Cons
As it stands you buy the top blade and upgrade it because there is only one top buyable blade. I would have liked to have seen several weapons in each category do the same base damage, speed, and parry but have different bonuses for skills. That way you could tailor your assassin even with his weapons more.

Co-Op

Pros
I personally haven't played but one co-op mission but I can see me diving in after my side missions are done. I really love the concept. I was never a big fan of the multi-player version of old because I wanted something that ran more true to the game which I think co-op will.

Cons
I really don't have enough experience to make an opinion on cons for co-op but I can guess at one. Having somebody come into the co-ops just to screw other people. Maybe a way to remember people you have run with after each mission so that you can block runs with certain players? And look for players that you like running with that aren't friends in uplay?

Overall I think ACU is a great next gen base to take the franchise into the future but I think it left behind some of the best features that came along after AC and AC2. I would have also liked for them to keep up the tradition of a new character equals a new number but that is a none starter issue overall.

All in all these are just my opinions. Feel free to try to change my mind.