PDA

View Full Version : So generally,how do we as a community feel about Unity's ending? (spoilers obviously)

LoyalACFan
11-22-2014, 05:45 AM
From what I've seen around the web, let's say it's been... controversial, at best.

Personally, I'm not going to mince words. I LOATHED it. I actually quite liked the story up until that point, but then apparently the writers just couldn't resist the ****ing urge; they killed Elise. Oh, much wow, very surprise, not like we've seen that in LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE AC PROTAGONIST'S STORY. It wasn't even well-done, they did it in the most cliche, predictable, and eye-roll-inducing way possible, in a feeble attempt to add a little emotional baggage to the ending. In AC4 they (predictably) killed Mary as well, but at least the scene was emotional and well-written, and it resulted in real, believable character growth for Edward. In AC4 it was literally just "oh, Arno looks sadly at her dead body for a minute and stoically puts flowers on the grave, ROLL CREDITS." Plus there was the fact that Arno's stylized death corridor memories literally become some kind of unexplained superpower at the end.

My God. I absolutely hate, hate, hate it. I wouldn't even care if the next game completely retconned the ending.

Also, why does Arno become a Master Assassin at the end when he just got fired like two sequences previously?

Namikaze_17
11-22-2014, 05:49 AM
I personally didn't enjoy the story that much...however the ending made it worse.

No surprise, No suspense, No connection, just nothing.

Unity's purpose overall was just pointless.

Rogue served better...even if it wasn't by much either.

MontrossXGMR
11-22-2014, 05:56 AM
It was pretty bad and boring.

Rogue had a much better story and an epic ending that tied into Unity......Im much more interested now in a continuation of Shay's story rather than Arno

ace3001
11-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Horrible disappointment. I expected at least a decent ending cause Alex Amancio was creative director once again. But that was not to be.
I felt my heart sink as Elise left Arno behind and stupidly ran after Germain despite knowing that he had a powerful Piece of Eden with him which he had very clearly demonstrated only moments before before. It was clear by then what the hack of a write of the story of this game was going to do.
Simple put, Elise's death is the main character death that made the least impact on me despite her being one of my favourite characters.
And that's not all. It feels like nothing was achieved at that point, and then the game throws us into a time skip which doesn't even make sense narrative-wise. What happened to "memories must be synched sequentially"? Isn't that why Bishop gave us the task? Because they couldn't jump right to the point that they wanted? Why did we even go through all that if they could just skip several years right to the point where Arno puts away Germain's skeleton?
And even after finding it, nothing happens whatsoever. "Okay, good job. We'll contact you if we want something more" *CREDITS ROLL*
Worst ending in an AC game.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 06:29 AM
I thought it was cheap and stupid. Clearly the writer has no idea of how to write a story involving a female character beyond using her as a superficial prop to manipulate the player into an emotional response.

This sort of casual misogyny is very common in video game scripting, and it doesn't work anymore because it's become an overused trope that today's players are smart enough to see through. When they did it with Mary Read in AC4 at least it made sense, because the character actually did die in reality, but here it's just cheap and pointless.

MontrossXGMR
11-22-2014, 06:31 AM
I thought it was cheap and stupid. Clearly the writer has no idea of how to write a story involving a female character beyond using her as a superficial prop to manipulate the player into an emotional response. This sort of casual misogyny is very common in video game scripting.

come on bro....sexism is not what made the games story bad. Elise could have died in a much more epic and interesting way if it was written differently

Ultimately it was just bad story writing overall that made Unity's campaign unremarkable and forgettable

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 06:36 AM
come on bro....sexism is not what made the games story bad.

I'm not saying that sexism made the story bad. I'm saying that using death to force an emotional response makes the story bad - it would be just as bad if it had been AC: Liberation and the writer had killed Aveline's male love interest (if she'd had one) to force an emotional response.

And yes, Elise could have died in a much more epic and interesting way if it was written differently, but it's sexist because these things are very rarely written differently because female characters don't get that sort of depth in videogame writing.

My point is that sexism is a contributing factor: it happens so much with female characters (in the AC series alone we have Cristina Vespucci, Lucy Stillman, Kaniehtí:io, Mary Read, Caroline Kenway and Elise de la Serre) - it rarely happens with male characters (Red Dead Redemption's John Marston is the only male character I'm aware of that has been killed merely to force an emotional response from the player - and it felt cheap then too). So it's not coincidence: sexism is often how the writer gets to the point at which he can misuse characters that way - it is the basis for the poor writing and it's an added layer of stupidity, because it's so common in game writing.

The problem here is that the writer didn't write an engaging story, so the player, instead of being drawn in and involved emotionally in the plot, is forced into feeling something by a cheap and cynical plot manipulation.

Kaschra
11-22-2014, 06:55 AM
It was really disappointing and underwhelming. My least favorite ending out of the AC games.

They went the most predictable way and killed off Elise.
And her death itself was just so stupid. Instead of helping Arno to get rid of that rock, she charges after Germain. Even though Arno tried that a dozen times and it didn't work at all. Even though Germain has the powerful Sword of Eden.
She was scared Germain would get away... but why?
Helping Arno would only cost her a few moments, and unless Germain can suddenly fly or ran faster than the wind, he would not have gotten far.
Her death made her look like an idiot.

And the whole "killing off the female love interest" thing is getting REALLY old an cliche.
To be fair, Mary was not Edward's love interest and she was a historical person, the time and place of her death was pretty accurate - but Elise?
She is fictional, and Ubisoft could have done everything with her - but no, they chose the most predictable outcome you could think of.

What I also really dislike are the very last minutes of the ending.
That's just... pure advertising for the Dead Kings DLC - in the freaking main game.
Seriously?

Plus the whole modern day part was pointless.

I actually kinda like the fact that Germain was able to talk with Arno in his... imagination or whatever that is, at least it's something unexpected, but I don't like that we had no explanation WHY that was possible.

Namikaze_17
11-22-2014, 07:03 AM
it was really disappointing and underwhelming. My least favorite ending out of the ac games.

They went the most predictable way and killed off elise.
And her death itself was just so stupid. Instead of helping arno to get rid of that rock, she charges after germain. Even though arno tried that a dozen times and it didn't work at all. Even though germain has the powerful sword of eden.
She was scared germain would get away... But why?
Helping arno would only cost her a few moments, and unless germain can suddenly fly or ran faster than the wind, he would not have gotten far.
Her death made her look like an idiot.

And the whole "killing off the female love interest" thing is getting really old an cliche.
To be fair, mary was not edward's love interest and she was a historical person, the time and place of her death was pretty accurate - but elise?
She is fictional, and ubisoft could have done everything with her - but no, they chose the most predictable outcome you could think of.

What i also really dislike are the very last minutes of the ending.
That's just... Pure advertising for the dead kings dlc - in the freaking main game.
Seriously?

Pus the whole modern day part was pointless.

I actually kinda like the fact that germain was able to talk with arno in his... Imagination or whatever that is, at least it's something unexpected, but i don't like that we had no explanation why that was possible.

http://img.pandawhale.com/39876-The-Rock-applauds-applause-cla-OmWp.gif

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 07:10 AM
And her death itself was just so stupid. Instead of helping Arno to get rid of that rock, she charges after Germain. Even though Arno tried that a dozen times and it didn't work at all...

Right! And that rock was a pretty obvious "deus ex machina" moment. I mean, you have to immobilize Arno - but not forever - he has to be able to get out eventually. And why does the stone fall only the once - only the final time Germain hit Arno with the lightning?

The most stupid thing about the ending is this: what if she had failed and Arno was wrong about being able to move that rock?

And the bad guy was already badly injured. I mean he's limping away and she doesn't have a second to help Arno move the rock. As you say, she looks like a fricken moron.

I hate lazy writing!

In every future AC game that features a female character, I'm just going to be thinking "Okay, another female character that's likely to be killed off". I mean, the percentage chance of a major female character dying in an AC game are currently running at 60%. It's ridiculous.

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2014, 07:20 AM
It's not lazy writing. It's showing that Elise goes headstrong into everything, just like she always does.

It's not necessarily good writing, but Elise is the antithesis of Arno, especially after he matures in the story and grows up.

Thirsty_panda
11-22-2014, 07:24 AM
Modern day being pointless works for me though. There are only so many reasons they're going to be able to give us for going back in time. I found it comical. It really had me cracking up there.

And as far as the matter of Elise goes, no her death wasn't ideal. If they use this to segway into the Ankh or something, as was mentioned in an earlier thread, than I think we'll be able to look back on things with a positive light. The likelihood of the writers going here at the end of the day is highly questionable though.

On a side note, the Sword possessed teleportation abilities, so just maybe they would've actually been screwed if Elise had helped Arno.

It really is amazing though isn't it? This wasn't something that we all are calling predictable after the fact. This really was the common consensus. At the end of the day I think I'm slightly more sad that I can't zap people. I can't be the only one. Bad or good ending.

Namikaze_17
11-22-2014, 07:24 AM
It's not lazy writing. It's showing that Elise goes headstrong into everything, just like she always does.

It's not necessarily good writing, but Elise is the antithesis of Arno, especially after he matures in the story and grows up.

But could they have done that without killing her?

At the most, she should've gotten a near death experience that would've made Arno learn his life lesson and Elise to learn that revenge isn't worth it.

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2014, 07:38 AM
But people want Elise alive because they like her character. There's no other reason for keeping her around otherwise.

That being said, maybe we'll find out something later in Dead Kings. Who knows.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 07:40 AM
Any ending would have been better. I mean, they could have had us switch to play as Elise, beat the bad guy in a second epic boss fight and come back to release Arno in a scene showing that Elise, despite our worries, was right! Heck, THAT would have been a surprise ending! But instead, what the writer gave us was about the biggest cliché ever.

Namikaze_17
11-22-2014, 07:47 AM
But people want Elise alive because they like her character. There's no other reason for keeping her around otherwise.

That being said, maybe we'll find out something later in Dead Kings. Who knows.

But that's the thing...ever since her reveal, everyone was hoping she was gonna bring another layer to the Templars along her relationship with Arno.

There were even some people calling her the next Haytham which really brought about high expectations...but it didn't happen sadly. :(

And how don't you know? There could've been a trillion different ways for Ubi to use her character, but they went with the most cliche and disappointing one.

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2014, 07:52 AM
And how don't you know? There could've been a trillion different ways for Ubi to use her character, but they went with the most cliche and disappointing one.

Because there are PoEs that bring people back from the dead. The known one, is only temporary, however it wouldn't surprise me for Ubi to pull a Deus Ex Machina.

That being said though, having Arno going on a quest to bring Elise back from the dead, or at least try to, in an attempt to have her learn some sort of lesson from it would be right up Ubi's alley.

But again, I don't find Arno's story cliché to Assassin's Creed, because he's the first protag to actually lose everything and everyone.

As for Elise being the next Haytham, that wouldn't be cliché either? Considering we just had a protag in Shay not only working with Haytham but also guided by him?

JustPlainQuirky
11-22-2014, 08:07 AM
It was garbage.

THe.NoMaD
11-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Lack of closure on Present events left a sour taste. Arno's ending wasn't good or bad. Just kinda meh. Now Rogue's ending rocked.

Namikaze_17
11-22-2014, 08:15 AM
Because there are PoEs that bring people back from the dead. The known one, is only temporary, however it wouldn't surprise me for Ubi to pull a Deus Ex Machina.

Last thing we need is for Ubi to make the POE's like the Dragonballs. :rolleyes:

But again, I don't find Arno's story cliché to Assassin's Creed, because he's the first protag to actually lose everything and everyone.

The ending wasn't that cliche.

Everything else is debatable. >__>

As for Elise being the next Haytham, that wouldn't be cliché either? Considering we just had a protag in Shay not only working with Haytham but also guided by him?

Those expectations came before Rogue's announcement...and it wouldn't have to be Cliche either.

I mean that like Haytham, Elise could've made her cause seem just as justifiable and equal as Arno's which would've added another interesting dynamic between the two groups. Then Germain appeared and ****ed that up. -__-

And Shay more or less was more guided from Monro than Haytham really.

Farlander1991
11-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Elise had to die. I'm sorry, she's awesome, but she had to, at least the way they've written her.

I watched the main story before I actually played the game, and as I was watching, yes, my first thoughts were, 'I hope they don't kill her off. I'll be so mad if they kill her off', and then as I watched the story progress and her character unfold more and more, it changed to 'She will die. She can't not die. And I'm fine with that.' As Mnemonic said, she's anthisesis of Arno, in more than one way, and to have her not die would mean to rewrite a lot of things.

And the last letter to Arno gives the feels, to be honest (yeah, I hadn't played the game until the end but I did see the last letter, lol).

To be totally fair, when I first heard about Elise I kinda hoped we'd have to kill her ourselves, that would be just... you know, really twisted if done right. Or that she'd die by the guillotine. I don't think her current death is the best way to kill her off, but I do think it makes sense in the context of the current Unity narrative.

ace3001
11-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Elise had to die. I'm sorry, she's awesome, but she had to, at least the way they've written her.

I watched the main story before I actually played the game, and as I was watching, yes, my first thoughts were, 'I hope they don't kill her off. I'll be so mad if they kill her off', and then as I watched the story progress and her character unfold more and more, it changed to 'She will die. She can't not die. And I'm fine with that.' As Mnemonic said, she's anthisesis of Arno, in more than one way, and to have her not die would mean to rewrite a lot of things.

And the last letter to Arno gives the feels, to be honest (yeah, I hadn't played the game until the end but I did see the last letter, lol).

To be totally fair, when I first heard about Elise I kinda hoped we'd have to kill her ourselves, that would be just... you know, really twisted if done right. Or that she'd die by the guillotine. I don't think her current death is the best way to kill her off, but I do think it makes sense in the context of the current Unity narrative.
People can change. She doesn't have to continue being the "antithesis of Arno".
That said, if her death happened in a different way, my opinion on this may have changed.

Sabuto78
11-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Just horrible. Worse AC story to date.

Felt like I was watching a lifetime movie all the lovey-dovey crap with Arno smh.

johnsmith145
11-22-2014, 10:20 AM
AC endings usually have something good about them. This one is just plain horrible.

The woman can't finish the deed, I mean, she's a woman… Sexism in games can't be much clearer. She has to die and be seen as an object for revenge.

Germain is the archetype of a bad villain. The supposed ambiguity in AC games is no more. Everything to make sure the player feels good about completing the game.

Ubisoft, we expected better. The gameplay is great when it isn't bugged, but the story you previously attracted me with is gone.

Now we can only hope that they don't spend too much resources on improving the engine, merely debugging it, and focusing on the story for the next game. Also they should cut the farmville-esque companion app and initiates. The resources are better spent making a good main game.

The biggest reason for my disappointment is probably the complete lack of a modern day story. We have a furious demigod that is awakening. You just don't know what to do with it.

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2014, 10:42 AM
Lack of closure on Present events left a sour taste. Arno's ending wasn't good or bad. Just kinda meh. Now Rogue's ending rocked.

Plenty of Present day info in the Database from the Rifts

MnemonicSyntax
11-22-2014, 10:56 AM
People can change. She doesn't have to continue being the "antithesis of Arno".
That said, if her death happened in a different way, my opinion on this may have changed.

That's her personality though.

I'm not sure you understand what antithesis means. It's not anything negative, just the exact "opposite" of another comparative character. Nothing more.

She's the headstrong, leader role, while Arno is more of a cautious, follower role.

AC endings usually have something good about them. This one is just plain horrible.

The woman can't finish the deed, I mean, she's a woman… Sexism in games can't be much clearer. She has to die and be seen as an object for revenge.

Or, it could just be that since you play Arno all the way through that having your character, you know, the one you play as, actually finish the game as well?

And I'm not sure you've finished Unity, because Arno didn't really seem very vengeful.

Germain is the archetype of a bad villain. The supposed ambiguity in AC games is no more. Everything to make sure the player feels good about completing the game.

Did you forget he's a Sage? That's ambiguous in it's own right.

Ubisoft, we expected better. The gameplay is great when it isn't bugged, but the story you previously attracted me with is gone.

Please speak for yourself. I feel the ending was exactly what was needed and shows that not everything ends happily ever after, especially when you have no one to fall back upon at all.

Now we can only hope that they don't spend too much resources on improving the engine, merely debugging it, and focusing on the story for the next game. Also they should cut the farmville-esque companion app and initiates. The resources are better spent making a good main game.

The biggest reason for my disappointment is probably the complete lack of a modern day story. We have a furious demigod that is awakening. You just don't know what to do with it.

It's like no one reads the Database. Juno has a plan and it's being put into motion already by the Templars, unknowingly at that.

Steelray25
11-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Please don't include Mary Read in the list. She did, in fact, die in prison due to complications from childbirth. Did Ubi use it to manipulate emotions? Sure. But it's a historical fact. And I see nothing wrong with the way they used that fact.

Unity though...

I'm not sure how to even put this. It's a weak story from start to finish. It's not very interesting nor compelling. In that way, the ending may be fitting. Even the end failed to deliver any serious punch. From the moment Elise entered the Temple, I knew she was doomed. The only question was how. Was she some evil mastermind all along and behind it all? Was Arno going to have to kill her? Was Arno going to be manipulated into killing her a la Lucy? Or would she die by the villain's hand?

Yawn...

AC1: The story wasn't THAT great to be honest. But it was fulfilling. And it had a satisfying ending for Altair, as well as a rather confusing modern day ending that made one hungry for more.

AC2: Great story. Really stuck the landing on the ending, including the most appropriate last line EVER! "WTF?" Modern day ending was, well, wasn't that great, but satisfying enough and made one eager for more.

AC:B Another great story. Solid ending, and a modern day ending that was heartbreaking.

AC:R Story was average really. But it was a decent enough coda to Ezio's story. Modern day served to make us giddy with anticipation to what was coming next.

AC3: For all of its faults, and all of the Forrest Gumping everywhere, it was still a satisfying story even if the protagonist wasn't the most charismatic figure. I quite liked the "one last drink" scene with Charles Lee. Most of the characters around Connor were memorable. The modern day stuff was great, and Shaun especially really stood out. It was a flawed game, but I still remember it fondly.

AC:BF I don't even care if we only saw the genesis of Edward becoming an Assassin. It was a fun, interesting, entertaining, emotional story. I actually APPLAUDED when the game was over. And immediately started it up fresh again. Modern day wasn't exactly earth shattering, but there was enough "intrigue" to whet my appetite.

And then Unity.

Not only was the story dull. Arno was a pale imitation of Ezio. Evil Templars screwing people over (including other Templars) because... well, they're Templars. The sage looked nothing like a sage (even counting for it being "next gen"). If it wasn't for the mismatched eyes, I would have never known he was supposedly a sage if they didn't beat me over the head with it repeatedly. Modern day was, well, there really wasn't any. When I finished the game, I just ejected the disc. I'll probably trade it in. I don't care to clean up any side stuff. I have zero reason to play it through again, much less multiple times like previous ACs (that even includes AC3). I just... don't care. Thankfully, I didn't waste money on a season pass.

I expected better. Both as a franchise, and considering the setting.

I'm not angry. Just disappointed.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 02:06 PM
...as I watched the story progress and her character unfold more and more, it changed to 'She will die. She can't not die. And I'm fine with that.' As Mnemonic said, she's anthisesis of Arno, in more than one way, and to have her not die would mean to rewrite a lot of things...

Yes, the writer set up her death throughout the story, so that guys who don't think too much about the writing in a story will accept it. She did all the stuff that doomed female characters do when they "have to" end up getting killed. She was headstrong, she was focused and determined, she even argued with the male character and did not end up agreeing with him (the ultimate crime). She made all those decisions that, in male characters are allowed, but which are not allowed for women. That's why she "had to die".

The fact that the writer did all his work to set up the ultimate fate for women who "don't behave" is not evidence of good writing. It's evidence of hackneyed writing and a lack of imagination. I'd say it was sexist if I thought the writer actually thought about such things, but really I think it's probably just the result of laziness.

dimbismp
11-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Overall,the story was really meh.The French Revolution and especially the Reign of Terror were really underrused.Well,there were also the brotherhood missions,which filled the missing parts,but still itdoes not feel like Arnonpartidipates in them,because he does not speak!!!!Arno-Elise love story felt really cliche.I was never convinced that they were actually in love.Adding to that Elise as a character was not that great.Finally,what many people seem to forget is that this was not a game about "ASSASSIN'S CREED",meaning Assassins vs Templars,their goals,philosophies etc,BUT it actually was a story about Arno trying to help Elise kill her enemies,not even an Arno redemption story!The templars though were not that bad or pure evil as some of you say.What i mean is that they were not AC3 quality,but not even close as bad as the Borgias.
As for the ending it was almost horrible.Elise dying AT THAT SPECIFIC POINT AND IN THIS SPECIFIC WAY actually had no impact and no meaning!!!!!!!!She should have died before that time or in another way.And Arno being kicked out of the Brotherhood,and supposedly being brought again in,with no explanation at all,was horrible!!!Overall,this ending was the worst ever.
So,regarding the story,this is how i rank the games:4>2>3>1>R>B>>U.Theyshould really bring back Darby for the next game.

Still,the story was not terrible.I am still interested about Dead Kings,and ofc i would really appreciate a Napoleon sequel

harsab
11-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Isit just me or was the ending to Black Flag horrible as well? Black Flag surely felt like a ''cliche'' ending? i feel like Unity had a better ending to black flag.

It felt like i was watching a Disney film ending for black flag if I'm being honest.

Unity however felt more AC Like.

D.I.D.
11-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Liked:

The mission prior to the final chamber
The return of the concept of a big fight against a properly powerful character, whose move set is completely unlike any other character in the story
The concept of an assisted boss fight with someone else on my side
The presence of a love interest character who takes an active role, and isn't shut outside or there merely as bait
Having to figure out what to do without being told

Disliked:

The boss fight centring entirely around the worst aspect of the gameplay: the awful cover mechanics. Seriously, this was what you wanted my lasting memory of the game to be?
The boss delivering an irritating "PUNY MORTALS" speech during the fight
Hearing the "PUNY MORTALS" speech from the top over and over again every time I died due to your awful cover mechanics
Élise's death meant nothing to me, partly because I knew it was inevitable given AC history, and partly because the story stubbornly refused to treat them as lovers. It felt like you'd trimmed their story in fear of a reaction of "Ewww, women! Ewww, feelings!" from one corner of the audience, and ended up so timid that I only felt their (step) sibling relationship and didn't feel the sexual love at all.

Megas_Doux
11-22-2014, 04:33 PM
I dislike its "oohhhh buy the DLC in order to find out what is next" ending.

ApexMandalorian
11-22-2014, 04:57 PM
No, Elise was stupid not because she didn't wait to help Arno, but because she didn't kill Germain on her way over to help Arno, which she actually could've done. Also, obviously Arno didn't really need help lifting that rock.... Plus, I hate this ending where he's been kicked out of the Brotherhood yet somehow is back in the Brotherhood for no other reason other than to give an unrelated atheistic monologue (that had nothing to do with the plot at all). The ending was just terrible imo. I think the plot wasn't that good to begin with, nor the back story. I've already posted what a better story would've been in another thread, but the game's story ultimately was disappointing.

That said, it's not AC3 bad!

rprkjj
11-22-2014, 05:11 PM
I thought it was pretty good. I liked how they did Elises' s death actually. Like somebody else said, Elise is the antithesis of Arno. It shows what Elise would have done if their roles would have been reversed earlier in the story, with Arno holding off Germain's thugs instead. Elise regretted letting Arno save her, because she would have gladly died to kill Germain, because all she cared about was revenge. When the opportunity presented itself again, she wasn't going to make the same mistake twice. Arno's reaction was kind of meh, but I thought slowly sliding the hidden blade through Germain's neck as he stared into his eyes was pretty cool imo.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 05:34 PM
That said, it's not AC3 bad!

No, but some of it was worse. The stereotypical bad guys were far worse than anything in AC3. They were on the level of the Borgias from AC2, except that an argument could be made that the Borgias were complete bastards in real life.

Kaschra
11-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Isit just me or was the ending to Black Flag horrible as well? Black Flag surely felt like a ''cliche'' ending? i feel like Unity had a better ending to black flag.

It felt like i was watching a Disney film ending for black flag if I'm being honest.

Unity however felt more AC Like.

I couldn't disagree more

AC4 had the best ending in the whole franchise, followed by Revelations IMO
It didn't feel like a cliche ending at all.

ace3001
11-22-2014, 06:03 PM
I couldn't disagree more

Though I'd put Revelations above AC4 as far as the endings go, you're right that AC4's ending didn't feel cliche at all. It was a really well executed ending that left a strong impact. Unity's predictable and highly unsatisfying ending left no impact whatsoever.

Kaschra
11-22-2014, 06:44 PM
Though I'd put Revelations above AC4 as far as the endings go, you're right that AC4's ending didn't feel cliche at all. It was a really well executed ending that left a strong impact. Unity's predictable and highly unsatisfying ending left no impact whatsoever.

I love both endings and couldn't decide which one I liked more for a while, but now I settled with AC4 as my favourite ending ;)

Indeed, it was a very impactful and emotional ending. It was not to sad nor too happy, but it was hopeful with a bittersweet and melancholic tone.
It also brought closure to Edward and his story. Most of the other AC games had rather open endings, this one was different.

JustPlainQuirky
11-22-2014, 06:46 PM
I'm not a fan of Black Flag's story but the ending was great IMO.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 06:50 PM
I have to agree with you guys. AC4's ending was a great ending - probably the best of all endings in the series. It was certainly the most emotionally moving ending of any Assassin's Creed story.

Megas_Doux
11-22-2014, 06:52 PM
AC IV´s ending was predictable, but beautifully crafted.

Namikaze_17
11-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Good to see this escalated....

Yeah, Unity's ending was bad.

Rogue's was better.

But I agree, AC4 had a great ending...

JustPlainQuirky
11-22-2014, 07:18 PM
I hope this is a wake up call to Ubisoft to not write crap narratives.

Watch_Dogs and Unity were a joke in that regard.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 07:23 PM
I hope this is a wake up call to Ubisoft to not write crap narratives.

Watch_Dogs and Unity were a joke in that regard.

That's right - Watch Dogs had the same lazy misogynist cutscene death, followed by the most frustrating final mission in videogame history.

Namikaze_17
11-22-2014, 07:28 PM
And we'll be back talking about the next crappy narrative in 2015. :rolleyes:

ApexMandalorian
11-22-2014, 07:35 PM
AC IV´s ending was predictable, but beautifully crafted.

AC4's ending was very much a beautifully-crafted ending.

ApexMandalorian
11-22-2014, 07:36 PM
I couldn't disagree more

I agree.

Derp43
11-22-2014, 07:45 PM
The ending was complete garbage that made absolutely no sense to me. For example, what exactly did killing Elise do for the plot? Nothing, because it's pretty much already over. They had plenty of ways to make a different(and better) ending, but nope, they just had to use the most cliche example possible. For example, they could have had a moral choice(Which would be infinitely better) or kill off Arno(Because I like plot twists).

marvelfannumber
11-22-2014, 07:58 PM
God Unity's story felt like such a waste. Literaly nothing interesting happens at all!
Ok, ok maybe I should elaborate:

So the first hour or so of Unity's story to me is solid, you have an intruging sequence with Jaques de Molay and a rather entertaining introduction to Arno. De la Serre dies a bit too quickly though in my opinion, as we did not really get to know or like him all too much before he died, but I was fine with it.

From this point it all begins slowly going downhill in a spiral of doom.

The first major problems for me (aside from the story telling in general just being really boring) is Bellec. What was the point of his character again? So he trains Arno and then suddenly betrays the brotherhood, a decent concept I suppose but it's executed terribly. First of all we barely even got to know Bellec at this point, or any of the other assassins, why should I care about any of this?

Then Arno seems to just stop caring aswell and just decides to forget about the brotherhood and tag along with Elise for almost the entirety of the story, which results in some good dialogue but makes me question his loyality to the brotherhood (a topic which is rarely even brought up).

The whole story just has a lack of purpose, I can't remember any of the targets we assassinate, not even Germain. In fact he might very well be the most forgettable villian since Torres. The only thing he has going for him is him being a Sage (which is never touched upon or elaborated at all).

Then there's the ending which I won't delve into because everyone else already has. Arno teams up with Napoleon or something and becomes an assassin again somehow....even though the council said their desicision was final. What did Arno do to regain their trust exactly other than killing Germain (if this is explained in the DLC I will literaly smash my head against the wall because leaving out important plot details like that and putting it in DLC is literaly the worst thing ever)?

Oh and there's the modern day which is....pointless. It might aswell not even be in the game. We learn absolutely nothing aside from stuff about the Phoenix Project and a little bit of what the Assassins and Templars have been doing....that's it.

So again I stress the question....what was the point of this story (both the modern day and the historical parts)?

Sorry if this seems like a very incoherent and strange ramble but I just had to get my thoughts out one way or another.

ApexMandalorian
11-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Still saying, my idea for a story (made it after AC3's release) is still better than Unity's, makes more sense, actually deals with the Revolution, and still centers on the dangers of radicalization. Wish Ubisoft would've looked at it and adapted it.

Megas_Doux
11-22-2014, 08:35 PM
God Unity's story felt like such a waste. Literaly nothing interesting happens at all!

So again I stress the question....what was the point of this story (both the modern day and the historical parts)?

The modern assassin had a vague idea that Arno came in contact with a Sage. So they research through those memories in order to find his body, however their effort met a dead end because Germain´s body is pretty much useless due to decay.....

The historic part????

Well, I dont know!!!!!!

Mirabeu and De la Serre wanted to make a truce, Pierre was against that, the rest of Assassins were there only to scold Arno and his motives. Whereas Germain was looking to avenge De Molay and that is it....

Thing is that, unlike AC III in which Connor is spammed unnecessarily in EVERY event of the American Revolution, the Co op stuff that does cover the historical stuff ended up taking away some of the interest and focus of the main campaign.

The love story ALONE failed to cover the entire game.

DeluxedMass
11-22-2014, 08:52 PM
The modern assassin had a vague idea that Arno came in contact with a Sage. So they research through those memories in order to find his body, however their effort met a dead end because Germain´s body is pretty much useless due to decay.....

The historic part????

Well, I dont know!!!!!!

Mirabeu and De la Serre wanted to make a truce, Pierre was against that, the rest of Assassins were there only to scold Arno and his motives. Whereas Germain was looking to avenge De Molay and that is it....

Thing is that, unlike AC III in which Connor is spammed unnecessarily in EVERY event of the American Revolution, the Co op stuff that does cover the historical stuff ended up taking away some of the interest and focus of the main campaign.

The love story ALONE failed to cover the entire game.

Remember in the trailers they kept saying the story is mostly about Elise and Arno which it actually wasn't, because she re-appeared in Sequence 5 or 6. and yeah it sucked when she died, i think after Sequence 10 the story was rushed.

marvelfannumber
11-22-2014, 09:37 PM
@Megas
Exactly, as I said the story appears to have a lack of purpose. It seems more like 4 different stories mushed togheter in an incoherent mess with none of the 4 stories getting any real development.

If the story had simply focused on just Arno and Elise's relationship, or just Germain wanting to avenge Molay, or just De la Serre and Mirabeau making a truce I feel it would be much better. But for whatever reason they decided to throw all of these plotpoints into one story....and it just doesn't work.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-22-2014, 09:45 PM

I'm guessing the point was to make Ubisoft millions of euros.

I feel bad for the folks who rendered Paris so beautifully. They go to all that trouble - all that effort - to make a 3D 1:1 scale replica of 18th Century Paris, and they pull it off in a way that is absolutely perfect, and then the writer (Travis Stout) single-handedly turns it all to **** with a meaningless, childish and trite plot and awfully scripted and boring side missions.

And I don't want to let Alex Amancio off either. The buck stops with him, and he must have signed off on all the awfulness in the game, including the writing.

You know what this game needs - a sequel, set in Paris again, but with a decent writer and a decent director. That way we'd be able to actually appreciate the game world, rather than feeling embarrassed about being in it.

Derp43
11-22-2014, 09:53 PM
The only way Ubi can come back from this is making some insane plot twist where Arno was actually the one who died in the Temple and everything that happens during the ending is actually in his subconscious or something like that.

ACfan443
11-22-2014, 10:08 PM
I'm guessing the point was to make Ubisoft millions of euros.

I feel bad for the folks who rendered Paris so beautifully. They go to all that trouble - all that effort - to make a 3D 1:1 scale replica of 18th Century Paris, and they pull it off in a way that is absolutely perfect, and then the writer (Travis Stout) single-handedly turns it all to **** with a meaningless, childish and trite plot and awfully scripted and boring side missions.

And I don't want to let Alex Amancio off either. The buck stops with him, and he must have signed off on all the awfulness in the game, including the writing.

Amancio had as much to do with the story as Stout did (most, if not all creative directors have an input in story). Heck, he even tried his hand at scriptwriting
http://i.imgur.com/u91OwgK.jpg

PedroAntonio2
11-22-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm playing the game and so far, I think the storyline is good...the boss fight in the end of Sequence 07 was just epic and probably the best fight in the franchise. The only problem I'm seeing here is Arno...he was great and funny in the beginning of the game...but now he seems like a fusion between Altair, Connor and Edward, is like Ubisoft is trying to please everyone by creating a character that is mixed between the serious and charismatic type

And the ending is really that bad ? I really hope its emotional and impactul like ACR, ACIII, ACIV or ACRogue endings.

RA503
11-23-2014, 01:02 AM
The majority of people complain only about elise death with the avada kedavra(at least have harry potter nostalgia...), but this is actually the less worst thing about unity's ending, the ending is bad because they made the entire plot pointless, wrost tham sonic the hedgehog 2006 ending( whem they turn back in time and delete the vilain existence),hope that they give the plot some more consistency in the DLC(what still a bad thing,the ending have to be in the full game).

TwentyGlyphs
11-23-2014, 03:02 AM
Just finished the story and survived the onslaught of names otherwise known as the credits. I won't say I hate it, but it was rather lame. Everything about Unity's story basically boils down to it just happens. We're drug along from event to event, and things just sort of happen. I really think there's a pretty good story outline here, but the story needed another 2 or 3 rewrites with maybe a nice twist thrown in there somewhere.

The ending itself is pretty pathetic. Elise's death is so pointless. Just feels thrown in there to get an emotional response from us, which didn't happen. It's telegraphed the entire time that she only cares about revenge, while Arno is above that. And she still doesn't grow beyond that, even when her move is so idiotic. Arno barely reacts to her death, and says nothing. If she was going to die, it should have been sooner so it could have affected Arno more, or it should have been doing something meaningful to help Arno, or something for Elise to redeem herself. It's just so tacked on.

If this game was meant to introduce new players to the series, good luck getting them to care about the story. AC1 did a much better job of at least generating some interest. Nothing of consequence happens here. The past story doesn't drive the plot of the franchise forward. It's an interesting commentary on the state of the Templars at the time I suppose. It barely touches on the Assassins. I don't even understand what they exist for in this game. What are their goals? I don't even know their names. I kept hearing Mirabeau's name, but didn't know who he was until he was about to die. Nothing new is revealed in the ongoing TWCB plot either. Just a rehash of the Sage again. I think the Sage concept is unique and clever, but this didn't add anything new to it.

The French Revolution itself is woefully underutilized. The Reign of Terror might as well just be a database entry. So much wasted potential. Robespierre is such a stooge and just thrown in at the last minute.

Seeing Germain suddenly see the glyph symbols serves no purpose, especially after the letters from another Sage that we saw in Black Flag. That Sage experienced Aita's memories his whole life, whereas Germain just suddenly sees the glyphs as an adult. It was meaningless in Unity. And he found the Templar Codex. Cool, maybe tell us something about it? No? Oh, okay, I guess I didn't care anyway.

And what's with Germain's obsession with De Molay? Germain's goals all focus on revenge for him, achieved by killing the king of France, and restoring Molay's ideals. But we're given no context for why Molay was so important to Germain.

And the glyphs are just thrown into this game with no meaning. Both in the Bastille and the end. It's like Ubisoft is saying, "Hey, remember those glyphs? They were pretty cool. Wanna see them again? No, we're not going to delve into what they might actually mean, we're just hoping you'll remember how cool it felt the first time you saw them on Subject 16's wall."

Germain talking to Arno in the memories was cool, but just like everything else in this series it lacks an explanation. The Father of Understanding saw fit to give them this time to talk? Sounds really cool, I can work with that. Oh, that's it? Nothing explaining how in the world Arno can see people's memories when he kills them? It's like the most boring super power ever, and is only used to drive the plot forward.

Suddenly skipping ahead "years later" made no sense, and does seem like some sort of tease for Dead Kings or even another Arno game. I'm guessing Arno becomes a Master Assassin much later and eventually comes back to the vault that is inexplicably sealed up with Germain's body left to rot? And all of a sudden he's delivering some lame summation speech? Really? In his own memories?

As a side note, I just rewatched the ending on YouTube and it's awesome how when Arno and Germain's conversation ends, a notification pops up saying the player has unspent Sync Points even while the cutscene is still playing. I sense a new meme.

Ubisoft doesn't seem to understand the principal of tension and release in their storytelling. The first 3 games in the series built the tension to a breaking point that demanded release... and then the release never came. So many interesting mysteries, and almost none concluded in a satisfying way, many never even attempted to conclude. Now with Unity there's not even any tension or suspense to build up interest again.

What is the purpose of trying to stop Germain? We get no sense of what that really means to Arno or Elise. We know Elise wants revenge, which is boring and not enough to drive any suspense. Who cares if the Templar Order is changing? Give me a reason I should care. How does that affect the Assassins? How does that affect Elise? Sequence 11 gives us a reason for Arno's motivations that would have been more effective if we knew them earlier. Germain's explanation that the Templars should control from the shadows and that he was trying to give people a taste of ultimate freedom to show them how awful the anarchy would be was interesting, but it came too late to matter.

I've put about as much effort into this post about the modern day story as Ubisoft did into this game. My God, for Amancio to talk about the modern day like it was something mysterious, interesting and novel to be revealed later was so ridiculous seeing what they did with it. The intel files you unlock in the rifts are just tiny little expansions on last year's stuff, but lame because it's all text-based. At least Black Flag had some audio files to listen to. If you're going to kill modern day, just do it. That would be better than pretending like it still mattered while devoting absolutely no time to it. There's absolutely nothing driving that story forward. Oh no, let's all stop the evil Abstergo Entertainment and it's perky Chief Creative Officer Melanie Lemay. Juno the all powerful apparently plotted for millennia to escape the Grand Temple so she could take an extended vacation.

Ubisoft needs to get some real writers onboard if they want Assassin's Creed to continue. We're basically just playing the same game year after year, and with the story as lifeless as Unity, it's getting really hard to care.

I-Like-Pie45
11-23-2014, 04:58 AM
Best ending of the series thus far!

Sabuto78
11-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Unity however felt more AC Like. @blackflag part- That's because you don't know their fate

@Unity: Only thing that was missing from it was Elise to be brought back from the dead so she and Arno could ride off into the sunset like a true Disney film. lol.

Derp43
11-23-2014, 08:21 AM
So, while watching a Symphony this night, I came up with an idea to actually make Unity's ending make(some) sense in the next game. Unfortunately, the idea I came up with would require the game's formula to be changed quite a bit(Which some may view as a good thing).

LoyalACFan
11-23-2014, 09:08 AM
I think I'm just going to go ahead and say Unity's story as a whole wasn't that great IMO. I liked it alright when I was playing it, but it never really hooked me. The main reason I kept playing was to get to the next assassination mission; all of those were totally awesome. But I think I can pin down the exact reason why the story failed, and it's the characters. Outside of Arno and Elise (plus maybe Bellec, I guess) there was zero character development for anyone in the game. Nobody was even onscreen long enough for us to grow attached or invested in them. I usually get really into AC stories and I typically know them inside and out, but this time, I couldn't even tell you the names of the main Council members. To me, it's just Mirabeau, the woman, the cranky guy with gout, and the black guy I incorrectly assumed was Dumas. Don't even bother asking me who the targets were; the only one I actually remember is Sivert, and that's mostly because of the Gamescom demo, which, oddly enough, gave us just as much background info on Sivert as the game itself did. EXTREMELY weak and forgettable characters in this game. Hell, not even Napoleon was interesting. He was okay, I guess, but his involvement basically just felt like the obligatory "hero meets a historical figure" segment, and then he was gone. That might sound hypocritical for me to criticize, because I've ripped on AC3 for including way too many throwaway historical characters, but it's OK (and possibly necessary) to have a few that actually matter and influence the plot in a unique way (e.g. Leonardo, Washington, Blackbeard).

Unity's supporting characters were just cardboard cutouts, but the targets were absolutely laughable. Perhaps it's because they've removed the death corridor speeches (which was a stupid decision IMO since Arno's "mind-meld" thing makes even less sense than chatting with people who've been stabbed in the throat) but the targets were the most forgettable in the franchise by a freaking long shot. Even though some of AC2's villains didn't get much more development than Unity's, at least we got a little glimpse of their personalities via the death corridor, and got to trace Ezio's development as he grew kinder and more respectful to his dying enemies. And it's a pity too, because we actually had a few targets who seemed like they could have been pretty cool given enough screentime (notably the King of Thieves guy and the rich food-hoarding lady, who was our first female target in a main mission, which seems like it could have been a big deal for a game that's been so frequently accused of sexism). But nope, they didn't get any characterization at all, and their deaths didn't seem to change Arno all that much either.

CoachAssassin
11-23-2014, 11:40 AM
Here and there i noticed a bunch of Darby jokes and some stuff that was pretty okay, but besides that it was blend and dull. The ending of Unity is trying to give you a small sense of mystery like with AC1 (not everything is explained, what the **** are they doing with the whole father of understanding thing etc>) but it fails to deliver a story on its own. It's a small part of an universe, with no serious
significant thing in there. Elise dies in an unsatisfying way, okay I somehow get there is a message behind that but the only cliffhanger I was actually interested in was if Arno is now a Napoleonic general or if he is an assassin again. If he suddenly became an assassin again I would dare say they had too little time to normally wrap up the story and the loose ends. If they really skipped him rejoining the assassins I would say they literally deserve a -10 for the story, as it's horribly unprofessional, confusing etc etc. The small speech at the end felt forced and blend as well, but it had at least some merit, unlike anything else.

Honestly, I thought there was only one character that had a little bit of debt and explanation and that was Bellec. Pisspots.

But yeah, I'm going to assume Arno is no longer an assassin and is now in league with Napoleon, and we all know how that ends up. I really doubt we're going to see more arno outside of the DLC, it's going to be sporadic like Connor.

LoyalACFan
11-23-2014, 12:45 PM
Here and there i noticed a bunch of Darby jokes and some stuff that was pretty okay, but besides that it was blend and dull. The ending of Unity is trying to give you a small sense of mystery like with AC1 (not everything is explained, what the **** are they doing with the whole father of understanding thing etc>) but it fails to deliver a story on its own. It's a small part of an universe, with no serious
significant thing in there. Elise dies in an unsatisfying way, okay I somehow get there is a message behind that but the only cliffhanger I was actually interested in was if Arno is now a Napoleonic general or if he is an assassin again. If he suddenly became an assassin again I would dare say they had too little time to normally wrap up the story and the loose ends. If they really skipped him rejoining the assassins I would say they literally deserve a -10 for the story, as it's horribly unprofessional, confusing etc etc. The small speech at the end felt forced and blend as well, but it had at least some merit, unlike anything else.

Honestly, I thought there was only one character that had a little bit of debt and explanation and that was Bellec. Pisspots.

But yeah, I'm going to assume Arno is no longer an assassin and is now in league with Napoleon, and we all know how that ends up. I really doubt we're going to see more arno outside of the DLC, it's going to be sporadic like Connor.

Darby jokes? He didn't work on this game.

As for not seeing Arno again, I dunno man, that ending seemed to sequel-bait pretty damned hard. I'd be willing to bet that he's already got a Napoleonic Wars sequel in the pipeline. Which, I have mixed feelings about after the ending of Unity. Originally I had hoped for an Arno/Elise co-op game where she joins the Assassins and they fight against Napoleon in Egypt and Russia. But now Elise is dead and Arno and Napoleon seem to be best buddies. And we don't even know if Arno is an Assassin anymore (although if he isn't, why the Master Assassin outfit? If he is, why would he have been reinstated?).

Dragula
11-23-2014, 12:45 PM
first assassins creed game ive felt ive just went through the motions on it, story wasnt that great, oh another target, go find and kill him, there was no real mystery in it even the "twist" where germain was the silversmith and you let him go i kind of guessed soon as i met him, the ending wasnt any worse than the rest of the story, as for the rest of the game it kind of felt a step backwards from black flag in many ways but the new fighting was good, pretty harsh at times and the decent down a building was good.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-23-2014, 01:02 PM
first assassins creed game ive felt ive just went through the motions on it...

I felt the same way. All the side missions felt the same. It was kinda like AC1 all over again, except there were fewer of AC1's side missions, so although it was repetitive, it didn't seem endlessly repetitive.

Not only did I feel like I was going through the motions - I felt Ubisoft was doing the same thing. There is just no sense that anyone cared about any of the side missions: they're constructed with all the craftsmanship of the cheapest McDonalds burger. I kept feeling like every time I took a side mission, some minimum wage employee at Ubisoft was saying "Thank you, drive through."

At this point, I have about four side missions left, and I'm dreading every one. And it's the same story with the investigations: go here, press B, go there, press B, go here, press B, etc., etc., etc. I wanted to do the Marat investigation - I thought that might be different, but no - it's just more places you have to go to press B over and over again.

Matt.mc
11-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Really disappointed with the ending. So, underwhelming. I don't even understand how that was a conclusion.
I didn't like Elise as a character either so her death was just meh, there was no satisfaction killing the Grand Master.

This really sucks because up until, well, pretty much when Elise entered the picture again I was really enjoying the story. Was it an easy, simple story? yes, but that's what I've wanted.
A story about an Assassin, assassinating targets. Hence the title..

Don't even get me started on the Modern Day, there wasnt even an conclusion to the modern day! Unless I somehow missed it!?
I still don't get why people don't want the old school MD back! I loved it at the end of ACII while the credits were rolling thinking to myself, "What the f did I just witness!'' I want them to go back to that! Not this boring *** "you're playing a game" scenario.

I just wish I was keen to see where the story was going for the next game like I was in ACII/B Most of all Revelations.

CoachAssassin
11-23-2014, 03:42 PM
Darby jokes? He didn't work on this game.

As for not seeing Arno again, I dunno man, that ending seemed to sequel-bait pretty damned hard. I'd be willing to bet that he's already got a Napoleonic Wars sequel in the pipeline. Which, I have mixed feelings about after the ending of Unity. Originally I had hoped for an Arno/Elise co-op game where she joins the Assassins and they fight against Napoleon in Egypt and Russia. But now Elise is dead and Arno and Napoleon seem to be best buddies. And we don't even know if Arno is an Assassin anymore (although if he isn't, why the Master Assassin outfit? If he is, why would he have been reinstated?).

Darby wrote a few jokes, and a few things were ran by him. Writers within the Ubisoft studios usually run stuff by eachother to avoid redcons in the future. Canon in the head of one of the writers might be extremely conflicting with what the other writer is doing. But yeah, he obviously wrote some jokes and some scenes are kinda his style. He confirmed to me that he wrote the ''neither were the horses'' joke with arno at the party haha :p.

I'm pretty sure Arno is no longer an assassin because that is what has been shown to us. If this is somehow changed in the DLC without us knowing then I'll admit they are making a serious mistake there. Honestly, I am actually interested in how a buddy bond with Arno and Napoleon would work considering Napoleon is going to get influenced by the apple (corrupted maybe even). But I'm pretty sure we'll get a new assassin, since they kinda said there wouldn't be any more sequel games, each game meant a new assassin. Of course, if Arno was a staggering success they would ditch that easier then anything and make a sequel, but seeing as Unity and the story is getting more hate almost then AC3, I'd say his chances of a sequel except for a DLC are slim to Connor. :p (c what i did thar)

Pr0metheus 1962
11-23-2014, 05:17 PM
...seeing as Unity and the story is getting more hate almost then AC3, I'd say his chances of a sequel except for a DLC are slim to Connor. :p (c what i did thar)

Yeah, the story, gameplay and bugs are getting flak, but but Arno is generally liked. I'd like to see him in a sequel.

I still don't get why people don't want the old school MD back! I loved it at the end of ACII while the credits were rolling thinking to myself, "What the f did I just witness!'' I want them to go back to that!.

I think if we had realized we'd be getting this ridiculous "you are the modern day hero", we might have cut Desmond a little slack. Although he was a massive downer.

What I miss is "The Truth" videos. I mean why did they just ditch that?

It seems every new AC that comes along is one step forward, two steps back. The new stuff is never all that good, and they always dump two or more features that weren't broken (and some, like "The Truth" video that were really fun). That's how we get a French Revolution AC that is so bland it's like eating fricken paste.

TheIronLotus420
11-23-2014, 05:30 PM
So, while watching a Symphony this night, I came up with an idea to actually make Unity's ending make(some) sense in the next game. Unfortunately, the idea I came up with would require the game's formula to be changed quite a bit(Which some may view as a good thing).

Care to share? I feel like the community as a whole could use a breath of fresh air right about now...(but I'm particularly interested =D)

Farlander1991
11-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Here's an article that I suggest reading, regarding Elise. (http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/21/assassins-creed-unity-elise-writing-pc-ps4-xbox-one/)

TheIronLotus420
11-23-2014, 07:43 PM
Here's an article that I suggest reading, regarding Elise. (http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/21/assassins-creed-unity-elise-writing-pc-ps4-xbox-one/)

VERY interesting read, thank you for posting.

I think that generally most people were upset with the ending just because of the simple fact that Elise, one of the most liked characters in the game (and, dare I say, the entire series), not to mention the fact that Elise is FEMALE, had died. She was a conceived character, and the subtleties of the themes throughout the game (and especially the ending) were well thought out, but killing Elise in that specific fashion just came across as slightly too predictable.

I'm just sad because I loved Elise as a character and hoped to see more of her. :(

Derp43
11-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Care to share? I feel like the community as a whole could use a breath of fresh air right about now...(but I'm particularly interested =D)
As I said, it doesn't make much sense, but my idea was that Arno actually died at the Temple, and everything that happens after he attempts to stab Germain for the last time is in his sub-conscious. It explains how he is suddenly a Master Assassin with no explanation, how he carries Elise's body out of the Temple despite the fact that there are at least 5 pits in between that room in the exit etc. Of course, the next game would have you playing as Arno for the first 30-60 minutes, however events during that time will start deviate significantly from real history. Eventually, when he attempts assassinate his third or fourth person in that game, instead of reading their memories, Germain will show up(Similar to the end of AC:U) saying that he has been dying on the Temple floor for the past few minutes, and everything he has experienced after the moment he attempted to stab Germain for the fourth time is in his sub-conscious. Germain will then proceed to "stab" Arno, resulting in him finally giving up on life on the Temple room floor(All this probably needs a lot more fleshing out). Now this is the point where changing the game's formula comes into play. You may have already guessed that my idea involves the next game's protagonist being Elise. Now, the main character being a Templar involves a lot of changes, for example, you want to make assassinations as public as possible, where the most people can see them, some missions will focus on destroying someone's public reputation, and there will be a larger focus on combat.

As I said, this idea needs a bit more fleshing out and any feedback would be appreciated.

TwentyGlyphs
11-23-2014, 08:51 PM
Darby wrote a few jokes, and a few things were ran by him. Writers within the Ubisoft studios usually run stuff by eachother to avoid redcons in the future. Canon in the head of one of the writers might be extremely conflicting with what the other writer is doing. But yeah, he obviously wrote some jokes and some scenes are kinda his style. He confirmed to me that he wrote the ''neither were the horses'' joke with arno at the party haha :p.

I'm pretty sure Arno is no longer an assassin because that is what has been shown to us. If this is somehow changed in the DLC without us knowing then I'll admit they are making a serious mistake there. Honestly, I am actually interested in how a buddy bond with Arno and Napoleon would work considering Napoleon is going to get influenced by the apple (corrupted maybe even). But I'm pretty sure we'll get a new assassin, since they kinda said there wouldn't be any more sequel games, each game meant a new assassin. Of course, if Arno was a staggering success they would ditch that easier then anything and make a sequel, but seeing as Unity and the story is getting more hate almost then AC3, I'd say his chances of a sequel except for a DLC are slim to Connor. :p (c what i did thar)

I think Darby said on the release day twitch live stream that he helped write some of the modern day surveillance files you get in the Rifts. That makes sense since they continue the story of Abstergo Entertainment and AC4. They also feel like his style.

Who's to say they don't just gloss over Napoleons's Apple the way they did Washington's? They don't seem to have much respect for the information revealed in the glyph puzzles. They might surprise me and delve into the Apple in Dead Kings. I got the feeling Napoleon was looking for information that might lead him to the Apple when Arno stumbled onto him in Unity. It wouldn't surprise me if Arno's purpose in Dead Kings is finding an Apple in the necropolis where old French Kings are buried.

TheIronLotus420
11-23-2014, 08:56 PM
As I said, it doesn't make much sense, but my idea was that Arno actually died at the Temple, and everything that happens after he attempts to stab Germain for the last time is in his sub-conscious. It explains how he is suddenly a Master Assassin with no explanation, how he carries Elise's body out of the Temple despite the fact that there are at least 5 pits in between that room in the exit etc. Of course, the next game would have you playing as Arno for the first 30-60 minutes, however events during that time will start deviate significantly from real history. Eventually, when he attempts assassinate his third or fourth person in that game, instead of reading their memories, Germain will show up(Similar to the end of AC:U) saying that he has been dying on the Temple floor for the past few minutes, and everything he has experienced after the moment he attempted to stab Germain for the fourth time is in his sub-conscious. Germain will then proceed to "stab" Arno, resulting in him finally giving up on life on the Temple room floor(All this probably needs a lot more fleshing out). Now this is the point where changing the game's formula comes into play. You may have already guessed that my idea involves the next game's protagonist being Elise. Now, the main character being a Templar involves a lot of changes, for example, you want to make assassinations as public as possible, where the most people can see them, some missions will focus on destroying someone's public reputation, and there will be a larger focus on combat.

As I said, this idea needs a bit more fleshing out and any feedback would be appreciated.

I like it. This would also be a good opportunity to utilize the Shroud of Eden in some way.