PDA

View Full Version : My opinion on the game so far.

D_cover
11-19-2014, 08:37 PM
The game its self is amazing. By far my favourite Assassin's Creed game.

Although I wouldn't give it game of the year simply to how sketchy the launch has been and the countless issues.

Looting bodies actually helps since the are great deal of things to buy and chest hunting.

Finally getting a challenge in combat enemies are way more agressive and I am still learning to be effective in combat. Much better than exploiting one enemies weakness like we've been doing in previous games or countering all the time.

For all the good the mchanics do the technical issues that some are dealing with will stop this being a GOTY.

I myself had an issue with going online to play co-op which I managed to fix myself and that is where most of the fun is at.

Hopefully Ubisoft will fix these issues they really need to make sure these games are functioning when they are released. A few minor glitches we can forgive but having issues that prevent accessing the online and performance issues can stop some of us wanting to play the game.

SquirrelCheese
11-19-2014, 10:23 PM
I'd like to see multiplayer working. Never worked once at all yet.

OxIdOAC
11-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Must say, the game is amazing. Not my best so far (for me best in series are AC II and Brotherhood, just love Rome), but i'm glad that they return to the roots of AC series. AC III was total failure, and i don't know why i really liked AC Black Flag. That's why i will get Rogue.
Unity main story is a bit short for me, and i think that it has nothing to do with assassins against templars. Just one big murder mystery you need to solve.
But they compensate with side-missions which i just love. Especially murder mysteries, o brother, do i like these. I like Companion but missions are just like all mobile crap, to damn long... :mad:
Never the less, nice addition.
Coop is not my thing at all and i will completed it just for sake of 100% sync. (completed just one and it was just big mess of gameplay, not impressed)
Technical issues don't bother me. I just scale down gfx until i'm comfortable to play.
One thing i actually hate i the fact that they release Far Cry 4 a few days later, hahahaah, now i play Far Cry 4 for a while and a little bit of Unity.
All in all, i enjoy both games and i know i will liked em so i preordered both of them.
For me, they made 2 great games, and with time and patches they will absolutely improve.

Keep up the good work Ubisoft.

Altair1789
11-19-2014, 11:03 PM
AC III was total failure

Why do people hate AC3 so much? I never understood what made it a bad game :confused:

As I've said a lot on these forums, I think the worst part about Unity is the campaign. Really short and irrelevant to the series

strigoi1958
11-20-2014, 02:24 AM
Why do people hate AC3 so much? I never understood what made it a bad game :confused:

As I've said a lot on these forums, I think the worst part about Unity is the campaign. Really short and irrelevant to the series

ac3 was a turning point for me, I'd played ac1 and thought "good game, I hope they fulfill its potential..." and never played again till AC3 was ordered... I couldn't believe how good it was... I still judge games by how good it is... ACU is the best no doubt for graphics, crowd scenes, the scale of the city, the ability to enter buildings without cutscenes, parkour, and free running... all award winning but AC3 and ACBF probably win it story and character wise.

MauriceWijma
11-20-2014, 02:07 PM
I share the same feeling. If the bugs are out of the way, this game is what I call a "real assassin game". Just a few points of my view:

- The hidden blade is nog an all mighty weapon anymore. Its fragile construction makes it not a combat weapon, but a stealth killing tool. ACU makes nothing more or less of it, and it is the right way to go.

- ACU is actually (to an extend) costumisable to what kind of gameplay you like. Take full health and heavy weapons to be a tank, or gear up the phantomblades and silencing clothes to be more stealthy. How far these different gameplays are from eachother is not known to me, but it is nice to be able to choose.

- Doing things other then the storyline pays to take the time for. It is a great way to get some more money when you do sidemissions and beat some criminals from time to time. And it gives a lot of other advantages, depending on how active you are.

- As more people say, the fights are better. I don't say they are more difficult, but you are not an "one man army" anymore. Getting in a fight with more than 3 people is getting hard to manage, specially when there are different archetypes involved. This also makes you play differently depending on the setting you are in. Just 2 guards on your path? No problem, give me a second! More then 3? Well, lets see if we can thin it out first. Snipers on the roof? Well, no way I'm going storming into a fight on the ground, before I manage to dispatch that guy!

- The story. It is subject to taste, but to me it is a fairly good story. Finally an actual situation to relate to in some ways. But if I continue on, I might give away too much spoilers.

-The city. We are back in a proper city again. Those little patches of land with some houses on it just didn't do it for me.

But sure, this game has its downsides, just like people aren't perfect. And this game is made by people. But to sum some things up, aside from the performance and stability issues:

- The database is a bit messy. If I see something interesting in there, but don't have the time to read it later, I just can not find it back again. Might be just me, but I think the databases within the Ezio saga were much better.

- Where are the puzzles? I mis those awesome places with the overly dramatic situations that Ezio got himself into. It looked awesome, and made me feel like this is a game, and not a simulation of some kind. Those Nostradamus things just don't do it for me.

- Freerunning is a bit weird. The mechanics are great, and we have no reason to jump to our (almost) death to come to groundlevel. But running over the roofs, I always get stopped by those white chimney ridges. Pressing RT+A makes Arno climb them, getting all the momentum out of him. He does that to every ridge. But if I use RT+B with the chest-height ridges, he faults over them, keeping the speed up. This should be done differently, I think, because I don't really like to switch between different buttons while navigating behind enemy lines.

Also I want to add, is that I am glad some things are away from the series, if it continues like this.

-Naval in general. I just hated it. I was playing a game of Assassin's Creed, ment to give a "stealthy killing machine",a "dagger in the crowds". And all the houres I spend on a freaking ship, just to get to the next disapointment of a village, getting bombarded by other ships, that made the trip longer. And don't forget those fortresses... This is the reason I nearly dropped AC3, did stop playing AC4 halfway (and watched the story on YT) and won't even bother with Rogue.

-The accents. I'm so happy they didn't put in the french accents into the game, except for wat it actually spoken in french. It would be so cheesy to hear them talk english that way. It was funny in AC2, but became very weird in Brotherhood at some times.
Just to be clear, I don't hate French. I am slowly learning the language for the past 2 years, because I am planning to go to France some day. Not that I will need to know it, because english takes you far enough, but I am a pretty social figure, and I would like to get some untroubled conversations with some people if the opportunity comes.

Well, that will be more then enough. I hope I didn't bore anybody with this long speach.

Tanyn
11-20-2014, 04:12 PM

Connor.

madg991
11-20-2014, 04:21 PM
I only managed to get to sequence 12.2 before my save corrupted (1 of the many technical issues I have been faced with).

I enjoyed the story, and for the better part of it most of the game. But if some one asked me if they should buy it. My honest answer would be wait till it hits the bargain bin and all of the issues with multiplayer, companion app and the game its self have been sorted out.

The frustration I have faced with this game has FAR out weighed any enjoyment I got from actually playing it. From what I read, Far Cry 4 is much in the same boat. Personally I think Ill be boycotting UBI for a bit till they decide to go back to their roots and start delivering quality again.

Tanyn
11-20-2014, 04:24 PM
I only managed to get to sequence 12.2 before my save corrupted (1 of the many technical issues I have been faced with).

You say that like it's only 10-minutes into the game ... that's the very last sequence.

dericslab
11-20-2014, 04:53 PM
LOL @ Tanyn!

Yea, Connor was not a great character. My fav is still Ezio though.

@Squirrelcheese - I have done very little multiplayer, but it seemed to work fine for me.
Line speed and PC spec would probably have a big impact on the co op though.

Tanyn
11-20-2014, 05:24 PM
LOL @ Tanyn!

Yea, Connor was not a great character. My fav is still Ezio though.

@Squirrelcheese - I have done very little multiplayer, but it seemed to work fine for me.
Line speed and PC spec would probably have a big impact on the co op though.

Well, right now, my biggest issue with co-op, personally, is the fact that UPlay's servers / services are so unreliable it makes me want to kick a kitten in the face ... and i *love* kittens :c ... so imagine what I want to do to something that I currently hate (*glares at Ubisoft* ... yes, I'm talking to you guys.)

OxIdOAC
11-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Connor.

Hahahahaha, yeah right.... He talks like hes gonna take a dump, or whatever.... I mean, i love the idea of an indian assassin but that voice makes me puke......

OxIdOAC
11-20-2014, 05:51 PM

Wrong, they don't hate the game, they hate Connor. And when main character fails, so does the complete charm of playing the game...

bertalan93
11-20-2014, 05:54 PM
Connor.

True, Ezio and Edward were the two best characters in the game. They made progress, and they were evolving constantly in the story. But Connor remained the boring, always serious, vengeance filled character, which is not bad actually, but they dont shows us his other sides.
Even Altair was more colourful, if we add the Revelations story.

RVSage
11-20-2014, 07:49 PM
Connor is the most realisitc character with Haytham till today... Ezio and Edward were more like "cool" characters..So is Arno... But Connor and Haytham were different..They were characters facing the sad reality of the treacherous and selfish world

Fatal-Feit
11-20-2014, 08:05 PM
Connor is the most realisitc character with Haytham till today... Ezio and Edward were more like "cool" characters..So is Arno... But Connor and Haytham were different..They were characters facing the sad reality of the treacherous and selfish world

This is why I love Connor and AC:3. His story and progression reintroduced some realism into the franchise. However, Edward's story wasn't any less, as well. Honestly, the all of the Kenways, including Shay, are amazing. It's a shame Unity took a step back with Arno's story (although, Arno isn't the problem).

I'll take more Connors over one-dimensional dudebros, hehe.

Zmidd
11-20-2014, 08:34 PM
My own opinion on my experience so far is that, if Ubi had actually given this game more extensive testing, and therefore managed to make it perform much better on launch, left in a few more things they removed, such as the simple ability to move bodies and hide them, and cut back on how much content is locked behind extraneous crap, like the app and AC:Initiates website by about 70-80%, this would be a pretty amazing game. As it is, though, those things just ruin it for me.

Tanyn
11-20-2014, 09:15 PM
... such as the simple ability to move bodies and hide them...

As far as this goes, it threw me off at first as well, but then I discovered two simple truths:
A) If you perform a cover kill on an enemy, his corpse is rendered "hidden". Another enemy could step on his face, and the AI would never recognize that there's a body there.
B) Corpses despawn after 100 seconds (I've counted ... may be off by a second or two, but it's around there)

After I realized that, it wasn't too difficult to plan out where to drop cover assassinations to keep yourself hidden. Also, as I'm sure goes without saying, Hiding Spot Assassinations also leave an undetectable body.

... and cut back on how much content is locked behind extraneous crap, like the app and AC:Initiates website by about 70-80%...

So much this. Though I would ramp it up to 100%. I've been overly vocal about my disgust for this decision. It only serves to further alienate and aggravate customers and long-time fans... especially when 95% of all Legendary gear is locked behind a feature that they didn't even bother to put in the damned game ... Words cannot express how much of a "thanks for your money, now go **** yourself" that feels like to me.

Tanyn
11-20-2014, 10:16 PM

This just rings false on too many levels.

A) "cool characters" exist in real life.
B) Haytham was a "cool character", ergo, NOT different.
C) Connor, however, WAS different. He was a weak, naive, sniveling little brat ... with an absolutely abhorrent, monotone voice actor.
D) Facing "the sad reality of the treacherous and selfish world" makes them different, how exactly?
- Did Ezio watching his entire family get dropped on the gallows due to betrayal not count? Or watching the love of his life get murdered?
- And Arno, whose father was killed, and who witnessed the murder of his love's father, only to be *accused* of the latter?

There are no facts to support your opinions I'm afraid. There are plenty to the contrary though.

Tanyn
11-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Finally getting a challenge in combat enemies are way more agressive and I am still learning to be effective in combat. Much better than exploiting one enemies weakness like we've been doing in previous games or countering all the time.

I enjoyed the more challenging combat at first, and I still prefer it to the previous titles' total faceroll of a combat system ... but I've found a pretty hefty weakness in the current system that can be taken advantage of... mainly, Smoke Bombs.

Surrounded by 8 guards? ... Smoke Bomb. Kill 2, uncontested. Smoke Bomb. Kill 2, uncontested. Smoke Bomb. Kill 2, uncontested. Smoke Bomb. Kill last 2, uncontested. Mop up, loot bodies, brush your shoulders off and walk away like a boss.

jeffies04
11-21-2014, 12:36 AM
As far as this goes, it threw me off at first as well, but then I discovered two simple truths:
A) If you perform a cover kill on an enemy, his corpse is rendered "hidden". Another enemy could step on his face, and the AI would never recognize that there's a body there.

I have not experienced this to be true. I will cover kill an enemy, pull him behind something, move somewhere else, and a patrolling guard comes around the corner and, "Jacques! Who killed you?? Oh this is terrible!!" In my experience, they definitely still notice.

B) Corpses despawn after 100 seconds (I've counted ... may be off by a second or two, but it's around there)

After I realized that, it wasn't too difficult to plan out where to drop cover assassinations to keep yourself hidden. Also, as I'm sure goes without saying, Hiding Spot Assassinations also leave an undetectable body.

This is true, again in my experience, but only if you leave the area.

madg991
11-21-2014, 07:19 AM
You say that like it's only 10-minutes into the game ... that's the very last sequence.

if you just do the main quest with no side quests / exploration, its maybe 2-3 hours :D