PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Far-Cry-4-friendly 5.1 sound card

whatthegeek
11-19-2014, 03:24 PM
I'm affected by Far Cry 4's surround sound bug. Since Ubi never fixed it for Watch Dogs, I'm not expecting them to do anything about it w/ Far Cry 4 either, so I'm just gonna replace my sound card - any recommendations on a sound card / device that supports dolby digital live 5.1 over optical that works with Far Cry 4? If anyone has a working surround sound set up for this game, let me know what you've got. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Flanker1Six
11-19-2014, 03:40 PM
Sounds great on my system! I'm on a late model gaming notebook; I've disabled the on board sound, and plugged in a Creative USB X Fi Pro 5.1 sound card. I've had it quite a while, and never really liked it compared to the Creative X Fi plug in card (Express Card slot) I've got, due to the USB card using different drivers and firmware.............the darn thing always had a real faint "hiss" in the back ground of it's sound output.

Anyway................about 10-11 months ago I tried the USB card again; and found Creative had updated their drivers and firmware since the last time I tried it. Problem solved! I've got an Onkyo home theater (800w 7.1 receiver) system hooked up to the TV, so I bought a bunch of cables/cords and adapters at Radio Shack and out putted the sound off the Creative USB card to the accessory inputs on the back of the receiver. Crank it up and needless to say...........................shooters ROCK!

I've used several Creative internal desk top cards in the past with an old analog Klipsch 5.1 speaker system, and they all sounded great too. I've heard a lot of good things about "Turtle Beach" also; though I don't know if they're still manufactured or not.

If it were me, I'd check Creative's site and see if Turtle Beach is still in business. Comp/tech sites, like newegg.com would probably be worth checking too. Good luck!

whatthegeek
11-19-2014, 03:51 PM
Sounds great on my system! I'm on a late model gaming notebook; I've disabled the on board sound, and plugged in a Creative USB X Fi Pro 5.1 sound card. I've had it quite a while, and never really liked it compared to the Creative X Fi plug in card (Express Card slot) I've got, due to the USB card using different drivers and firmware.............the darn thing always had a real faint "hiss" in the back ground of it's sound output.

Anyway................about 10-11 months ago I tried the USB card again; and found Creative had updated their drivers and firmware since the last time I tried it. Problem solved! I've got an Onkyo home theater (800w 7.1 receiver) system hooked up to the TV, so I bought a bunch of cables/cords and adapters at Radio Shack and out putted the sound off the Creative USB card to the accessory inputs on the back of the receiver. Crank it up and needless to say...........................shooters ROCK!

I've used several Creative internal desk top cards in the past with an old analog Klipsch 5.1 speaker system, and they all sounded great too. I've heard a lot of good things about "Turtle Beach" also; though I don't know if they're still manufactured or not.

If it were me, I'd check Creative's site and see if Turtle Beach is still in business. Comp/tech sites, like newegg.com would probably be worth checking too. Good luck!

Have you used the USB X fi w/ FC4? If that's working for you, that might be the choice I go with - I have a similar setup to yours. Thanks for the suggestion!

stevvie69
12-06-2014, 07:07 PM
I use my XiFi Xtreme music PCI (NOT PCIe) with the Dolby Digital Live pack using a coaxial cable to my Yamaha amp and that works great for 5.1 and also tried it over my HDMI cable from My R9 280X to my Sony Amp and the 5.1 is working ok there too.

noodles1505
12-06-2014, 07:20 PM
I'm affected by Far Cry 4's surround sound bug. Since Ubi never fixed it for Watch Dogs, I'm not expecting them to do anything about it w/ Far Cry 4 either, so I'm just gonna replace my sound card - any recommendations on a sound card / device that supports dolby digital live 5.1 over optical that works with Far Cry 4? If anyone has a working surround sound set up for this game, let me know what you've got. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I'm using a Sound Blaster Z series with optical hooked up to a Harmon Kardon 5.1 full rang surround system and the card and the sound are great. You can find one online for about $90 right now. It has both Dolby and DTS surround. Hope this helps!

P.S. it works with ubisuck games. Watch Dogs/Far Cry/Assassins Creed...

MenaceRX
12-07-2014, 01:29 AM
I have the Sound Blaster Recond 3D PCI, THX Certified. Runs great on mine and sounds fantastic. I have the Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Surround set.