PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to..... ?

Pau1o88
11-19-2014, 03:54 AM
So AC: Unity is fantastic and I'm hooked.

However I've noticed a few things have been removed and I can't think of a reason as to why ?

- The Human Shield. Why can I no longer use the enemy to block those super power full gun shots.
- Picking up bodies. The alarm is often triggered when other guards see dead bodies. Why can I no longer hide them ? What kind of assassin leaves dead bodies in plane site ?
- Dropping Bodies, as with above I can no longer throw dead bodies from roof tops.
- Pick up enemy weapons. Another simple feature removed.
- Fight with blades. Although I hardly used it, it was a nice feature.
- Why when using the encyclopedia can I not show locations on the map. I have to hover over each place of interest to see if its the one I'm looking for.
- No horses etc. I know you want me to look at your detail work but seriously....the fast travel takes so long to load its hardly 'fast'
-COOP is amazing. But why cant I join on friends ?

thoughts.. ?:confused:

shafdude
11-19-2014, 04:35 AM
The performance issues have been so profound in the game that I haven't even gotten a chance to look at details like this. I do agree with most of what you said though, the game is becoming more arcade like when it removes these hard core features. Moving bodies, picking up enemy weapons, being able to fight with different weapons including your fists, these were all great features and it's terrible that they were removed imo. These features contribute to strategy and stimulate our ability to think and find the best way to complete a mission. When a game removes basic features like this all it does is remind me of COD, because that's what cod is, an arcade game. Nothing wrong with a game like COD, but AC needs to maintain a degree of hardcore elements, it is a stealth based game.

The human shield I can work without though. Horses would be nice but not a must for me.

A lot of games are doing this now, they are becoming more and more arcade like. In fact I see the entire game industry shifting towards this trend. Some games stay true their roots though. Why? Because an arcade game is more casual so it appeals to a wider audience, that way we have games that everyone in the family can play, instead of having games that are catered to a specific crowd like they should be. It is an attempt to make more money, this is why COD is so successful.

SixKeys
11-19-2014, 04:51 AM
The performance issues have been so profound in the game that I haven't even gotten a chance to look at details like this. I do agree with most of what you said though, the game is becoming more arcade like when it removes these hard core features. Moving bodies, picking up enemy weapons, being able to fight with different weapons including your fists, these were all great features and it's terrible that they were removed imo. These features contribute to strategy and stimulate our ability to think and find the best way to complete a mission. When a game removes basic features like this all it does is remind me of COD, because that's what cod is, an arcade game. Nothing wrong with a game like COD, but AC needs to maintain a degree of hardcore elements, it is a stealth based game.

Funny, AC1 managed to be a non-arcadey game without any of those features. :rolleyes:

I'm glad fighting with hidden blades is gone. You want to talk about arcadey? Using a thin piece of metal strapped to your wrist to block heavy axe blows, now THAT'S arcadey.

The removal of picking up bodies was a bit of a strange choice, but it's not like it was ever terribly useful.

The huge crowds are already causing a ton of technical problems. You want to throw horses into the mix too? A lot of streets in Paris are very narrow, it probably would have been more trouble than it's worth to allow horse-riding. It was already kind of a pain back in ACB.

Human shield was unreliable at best, never worked properly for me. I don't miss it.

I definitely agree about encyclopedia locations being shown on the map though. It's especially annoying when you're doing the Nostradamus puzzles and have to look for specific landmarks.

Namikaze_17
11-19-2014, 05:04 AM
I think I'll miss that Human Shield... :(

Those guns look like a *****.

shafdude
11-19-2014, 01:52 PM
Funny, AC1 managed to be a non-arcadey game without any of those features. :rolleyes:

AC 1 came out a while back when games weren't following this arcade mass appeal trend. The presence or absence of those features isn't the end all be all for determining if a game is hardcore or not. Since AC 1 came out just after the PS2 generation it was developed with that generations trends, which was hardcore. There were more gamers back then that were actual dedicated gamers and not just casuals, so that is what they had to appeal to with that game. Now we have more "dedicated gamers" but that's only because the games appeal to larger crowds instead of specific distinct hardcore gamer groups each being targeted by different games like it used to be. The fact that they removed dead body moving shows they are trying to appeal to the mass audience instead of dedicating their efforts to us the AC fan base. You can't blame them though they are a business.

The_Kiwi_
11-19-2014, 02:00 PM
The removal of picking up bodies was a bit of a strange choice, but it's not like it was ever terribly useful.

A game with such a great emphasise on stealth should allow you to remove bodies
The only explanation is that Arno is an idiot and didn't move bodies himself, therefore you can't while replaying his memories

Sejdovic11
11-19-2014, 02:11 PM
The only explanation is that Arno is an idiot and didn't move bodies himself, therefore you can't while replaying his memories

I mean yeah, why the fuc* would assassin leave a dead body on the floor for everybody to see it? No logic in that at all...

UncappedWheel82
11-19-2014, 04:06 PM

Moving the bodies really isn't that big of a deal. Honestly by not being able to it really makes you think and plan ahead. If you drop a body, know that guards/whoever will come to check it out. when they do you either set a trap, or just use the sight as a distraction.

Also though, you can still hide bodies if you are hidden and you pull them in to a closet or haystack, or just pull them around a corner (not technically hidden). Again, it is all in how you plan ahead.

jetlee2777
11-20-2014, 04:50 PM

Lol you can┤t remove bodies,but the NPCs can move bodies for some reason.

And also what I noticed is that the enemies,when your┤re hiding in a haystack are no longer stabbing inside it to look if somebody is in inside.

TorQue1988
11-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Agreed with everything except fighting with your blades.
They also removed whistling for no apparent reason...

confusedgeek
11-21-2014, 01:39 AM
Agreed with everything except fighting with your blades.
They also removed whistling for no apparent reason...

i miss whistling the most.

TO_M
11-21-2014, 02:04 AM
They also removed the catch ledge ability and being able to push civilians away.
And I have no idea why Ubi decided to remove the things listed in this thread.

The_Kiwi_
11-21-2014, 02:37 AM
I have no idea why Ubi decided to remove the things listed in this thread.

Maybe so they can put them in the next game so people think it's even better than Unity

jetlee2777
11-21-2014, 04:52 AM
They also removed the catch ledge ability and being able to push civilians away.
And I have no idea why Ubi decided to remove the things listed in this thread.

No your┤re wrong about it Arno is still able to push away civiilians,but now he is doing it automatically which is very good imo.

And also your┤re not anymore losing your balance,if there are to many crowds in your way.

pirate1802
11-21-2014, 09:40 AM
No your┤re wrong about it Arno is still able to push away civiilians,but now he is doing it automatically which is very good imo.

And also your┤re not anymore losing your balance,if there are to many crowds in your way.

And while we're at it make the running automatic as well. That would be even better imo. :rolleyes:

The_Kiwi_
11-21-2014, 02:46 PM
And while we're at it make the running automatic as well. That would be even better imo. :rolleyes:

It would go well with the 30fps to make a great cinematic experience :rolleyes:

nachdenki
11-21-2014, 03:28 PM
i miss whistling the most.

I would actually argue that removing whistling kind of broke stealth, or at least I haven't found out a way to be stealthy in Unity yet.
Example: I am hanging from a ledge, a guard is nearby but not close enough to be assassinated. A second guard is closeby. In previous games, I would have lured the first guard using whistling and then ledge-killed him. In Unity - well, I am actually kind of stuck. If I move to the guard and kill him, it is highly likely the second guard will notice me and fighting starts. So what to do?

I have actually 0 ledge kills and a handful of hidden spot kills in Unity so far, while those were my most used moves in previous games :-(

bitebug2003
11-21-2014, 03:29 PM
I think the crowd thing is a bit of a gimmick and removing the majority of them wouldn't be a loss

As for the rest of AC Unity from what I've played on my test run I don't like the direction Ubisoft took with it.

I'm struggling to like it but there are too many gameplay mechanics that annoy me.
Some tech stuff annoys me too (number 1 being the long load times).

SixKeys
11-21-2014, 03:45 PM
I think the crowd thing is a bit of a gimmick and removing the majority of them wouldn't be a loss

Before release, I thought so too, especially since they made a big deal of the crowd numbers in AC3 and it didn't add anything to the gameplay back then. But after playing Unity, the old games feel so empty in comparison. The gentle push mechanic was part of the illusion of large crowds: in the cinematic AC1 trailer we see Alta´r really pushing his way through large numbers of people. In the game the mechanic is there, but in reality the crowds really aren't large enough to warrant having to push your way through. There's something like 20 NPCs on screen at any given time and the reason they feel like unmovable crowds is because they're all huddled together in groups and are slow to budge. So really, it's just about creating small clusters of obstacles for the player.

In Unity the crowds aren't just a clever illusion, they actually have a thousand times more NPCs. So the player doesn't just have to pretend there are enough people around to warrant pushing your way through. It's going to feel weird going back to Renaissance Italy where "crowds" means just five people standing in a circle.