PDA

View Full Version : AMD USERS: Install the newest drivers (14.11.2) ASAP, Improves FPS! Released 11/18.

Bahjabroni
11-18-2014, 08:16 AM
New drivers were released tonight (11/18) in anticipation of the FC4 release. However, I've noticed that they greatly improve Unity FPS or at least they did for me.

Make absolutely sure you remove your old drivers before installing them. I've included a step by step guide to help.

These are newer than the 14.11.1 drivers that were released last week in anticipation of Unity. The drivers have improved my experience greatly. From regular single player to co-op.

- Check what drivers you currently have installed. The easiest way to do that is if you have the Raptr app installed (you should get it regardless). You just open that up and look on the upper left and it will tell you what drivers are installed. The other way to check is in Catalyst Control Center.

- Download the 14.11.2 Beta Drivers for your OS from here (http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst14-11-2-BetaWINReleaseNotes.aspx)

- Driver uninstallation can be tricky as you want to be sure you clean it out fully. The easiest way to do this is with a third party app as they tend to be more comprehensive. I used "Display Driver Uninstaller (http://www.wagnardmobile.com/)". It's freeware. Download the latest version, unzip it and fire it up. When you open it, it will ask if you want to boot into Safe Mode. I suggest doing this. Safe Mode will start as well as DDU. All you have to do is select the first button "Clean & Restart". It will then clear out your old drivers and reboot.

- The screen will be funky upon re-entering Windows. This is normal. The resolution will be wrong and things like that just like when you first installed a new GPU. Go to where you downloaded the new 14.11.2 drivers and install them. It will reinstall CCC and all of that and then when the process is finished restart the computer and then check to see if you have 14.11.2 installed via the first step listed.

Julius48
11-18-2014, 11:08 AM
Thanks for flagging this, very excited as I've been waiting for a patch/driver update that will make my game playable.

I'm stuck at work so can't have a go myself, but is there anyone who has tried that got a significant boost in FPS? Care to share?

Meridius56
11-18-2014, 12:00 PM
installed it, same performance as before.

topeira1980
11-18-2014, 12:01 PM
not a single extra fps for me.
maybe even less.

it is VITAL to understand the every district has different performance and you should ONLY check in districts where you know the performance. for example - around notre dame i get 23fps, in cafe theatre i get 18 fps. i always check in THESE locations since i know how bad they run on my r9 280

drop_toya
11-18-2014, 12:05 PM
Good news, i will share my results as soon as i get home.

ZzzombieBunny
11-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Sadly no improvement for me from the 14.11.1 Beta. Im running on a Radeon 7970. Just feels like its the game itself that needs to be fixed, even though optimized drivers is always nice. Im literally getting like 5 fps difference from going from Low to Ultra High settings. I mean sometimes just staring at a wall I could watch my framerate drop to 10fps for no apparent reason.

Pretty sure it has to do with all the NPCs, because in the Rifts without them im running at like 120fps and without any issues. This is just not acceptable.

bertalan93
11-18-2014, 01:17 PM
Saphhire HD 7950 3GB OC FLEX here. Still 18 fps, and unplayable.

Lignjoslav
11-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks, I'll try these. The first beta was incompatible with my card (6950).

HysoAlex
11-18-2014, 03:55 PM
I've 7970 Vapor X Ghz Edition 3 GB VRam Gddr5 and still have 10 fps in cafè theatre zone and 14 to 24 in the other zones

Julius48
11-18-2014, 08:32 PM
Yeah this didn't help me at all. I think either the poster didn't realise he was playing in a different district or maybe the driver did something special for him.

Back to waiting.....

Juasmo
11-18-2014, 08:59 PM
7870+3570K here, unplayable. 18-30 FPS with drops.
I will try as soon as i get home (Friday xD)

Zylkito
11-18-2014, 09:11 PM
It fixes stuttering

kbbw
11-19-2014, 12:29 AM
Sadly no improvement for me from the 14.11.1 Beta. Im running on a Radeon 7970. Just feels like its the game itself that needs to be fixed, even though optimized drivers is always nice. Im literally getting like 5 fps difference from going from Low to Ultra High settings. I mean sometimes just staring at a wall I could watch my framerate drop to 10fps for no apparent reason.

Pretty sure it has to do with all the NPCs, because in the Rifts without them im running at like 120fps and without any issues. This is just not acceptable.

Yes. I can confirm this. i play game's with these amount of AIs and yes the AI will cause about 75% of all the framedrops ingame this and the textures. so basicly turning down textures from lets say Ultra to Low will improve about 25% of the frames (Not included for places like a palace in a mission) if there where a option to turn down the spawn zone for AIs around you and let say half the amount so only 1000 spawn around you in the size of the zone with the assassin's hideout would technicly improve frame rate about 45-50%

AIs are very heavy on every system so only modern hi end PC's will have what it takes to run them a bit proper.