PDA

View Full Version : I'm loving the new difficulty!

UncappedWheel82
11-17-2014, 11:42 PM
Great job Ubi! Seriously. I swear it's like this game was made for me, and I hope they continue to go in this direction as I want the combat to be challenging, and dangerous, and deliberate. Now when I take out a squad of 3/4/5 guys, it actually means something as they actually COULD killed me if I'm not careful and on point.

Full disclosure, though I have yet to finish or even get really deep into the story yet (I've just been running around doing side missions and companion related activities), just the difficulty and the companion app stuff alone have been enough to pull me in all the way.

My quick assessment of this game is that it's AC2, with the AC1 philosophy really taken to heart, made in the AC3 series format (minus ship battles). I LOVE THIS!

And though I'm hearing A LOT of criticism around the net about ACU, some well deserved, I think much of it is just personal preference. A LOT has changed in Unity that I don't think many will see off the bat unless you have a working knowledge of the other games.

DanPenfold
11-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Great job Ubi! Seriously. I swear it's like this game was made for me, and I hope they continue to go in this direction as I want the combat to be challenging, and dangerous, and deliberate. Now when I take out a squad of 3/4/5 guys, it actually means something as they actually COULD killed me if I'm not careful and on point.

Full disclosure, though I have yet to finish or even get really deep into the story yet (I've just been running around doing side missions and companion related activities), just the difficulty and the companion app stuff alone have been enough to pull me in all the way.

My quick assessment of this game is that it's AC2, with the AC1 philosophy really taken to heart, made in the AC3 series format (minus ship battles). I LOVE THIS!

And though I'm hearing A LOT of criticism around the net about ACU, some well deserved, I think much of it is just personal preference. A LOT has changed in Unity that I don't think many will see off the bat unless you have a working knowledge of the other games.

They might bring ship battles back at some point of when they make more :) Only time will tell, As they could be starting the next one. Hehe.

Retro_GaZe
11-18-2014, 01:30 AM
After my 10th in combat death about an hour into the actual assassin part of the game I realized it was like the Dark Souls of the series.

Fatal-Feit
11-18-2014, 01:38 AM
After my 10th in combat death about an hour into the actual assassin part of the game I realized it was like the Dark Souls of the series.

Speaking of Souls, it kind of is. Abusing the whole dodge roll mechanic is a thing.

cawatrooper9
11-18-2014, 03:52 AM
I've been dying constantly. Then my girlfriend makes an account and quickly masters the game. I don't know whether to be impressed or emasculated.

UncappedWheel82
11-18-2014, 04:19 PM
I've been playing with the HUD off so I know I'm missing some of the newer "tips and tricks" that the game would otherwise be handing to me, but I'm loving this just because I get to discover the new stuff as I run across it (like being able to stay crouched by just taping LT). Also, it also took me a bit to realize / get used to how the new crowd mechanics work with the HUD off (I like it), so I can really see your Dark Souls reference and get behind that especially with the way I'm playing.

The only thing I'm concerned about is leveling up and becoming the "Assassin God" of old. I'm thinking about just not investing in health/defense, and maybe even forgoing offense as well, just so that I can focus on stealth. I like the fact that the gear is wholly separate from the upgradeable skills (I'm still feeling it out though), so yeah, again, I'm liking what I've seen so far.

ShadoeKat
11-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Love the new difficulty, makes it feel more like you are actually in a fight because it takes skill and knowledge to execute without damage to yourself. Much improved over previous games. I would like to see the stealth part of the game more like the stealth in Watch Dogs... using the " X " to move from place to place, would make somethings flow better.

harsab
11-18-2014, 04:32 PM
It literally feels like I've learned some skills playing unity, i never ever felt that with any past AC's.

SixKeys
11-18-2014, 04:33 PM
The combat is definitely more challenging, but how are you people dying "constantly"? The only real annoyance are the captains (the fencers with fancy helmets), especially when you're surrounded. But it's hardly Dark Souls.

UncappedWheel82
11-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Love the new difficulty, makes it feel more like you are actually in a fight because it takes skill and knowledge to execute without damage to yourself. Much improved over previous games. I would like to see the stealth part of the game more like the stealth in Watch Dogs... using the " X " to move from place to place, would make somethings flow better.

I can agree with that. Right now it feel sort of hit or miss as you can do that but only in specific area or points. But over all I like the fact that the have even really implemented a real cover system in the game which I think feels better than a wholly contextual cover system in AC3. That being said though, if AC3 had a crouch button, I think I could have got behind the contextual cover stuff too.

ColdBloodedVet
11-18-2014, 04:59 PM
I love the difficulty too. I use a maxed katana butI think I'm going to switch back to my swordstaff. I like the animations and brutality more with the heavy weapons. But anyway the fights are way harder and it's good because it forces me to stay in the crowds and shadows more. But every now and I like to test my metal and it's rewarding to take down a group of the red guys. But you gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em and know when to drop smoke and run!

UncappedWheel82
11-18-2014, 05:04 PM
The combat is definitely more challenging, but how are you people dying "constantly"? The only real annoyance are the captains (the fencers with fancy helmets), especially when you're surrounded. But it's hardly Dark Souls.

More Dark Souls-esq than anything else, not DS proper. DS is generally WAY more punishing that ACU in all areas, and the enemies are WAY more dangerous and varied over all, but in the scheme of the AC series, ACU is the DS of the series.

But you asked how I'm dying constantly? Really I think it is because I'm just not that familiar with the systems as of yet; plus I play with the HUD off. I never know where a restricted area starts or stops; it has taken a while for me to get used to the crowd mechanics (I still am trying to understand it completely) so that I can stay hidden from guards and enemies; and I get one shotted at times because, well, I'm not sure why I do. With no life bar on the screen I don't know at what health level I need to be in order not to be one shotted, and further more I sometime mess up the parry or dodge because I have to go off my reactions to what I see the enemy doing, not an icon on screen.

I'm also still getting used to swinging the camera around to keep enemies on screen so I don't get attacked by a guy slightly off camera, and on top of that I'm still getting used to having to use items as much as I have been. In past AC's I rarely used items unless I just wanted to as they were never really a necessity. Now I find myself using the cherry bombs to get past people to avoid fights or just get the drop on them, and the smoke bomb for various reasons (to get away or take out 2 or 3 guys with out raising alarms). Overall ACU is just more challenging that the past ACs, which is a welcome change.

Another thing to though is that I'm intentionally not leveling up or buy better gear due to not wanting things to get easier. I think my character is at the 2 diamond level right now, but I'm taking on level 3 and 4 missions while still trying to get used to things. Case in point, I had unlocked some rifle yesterday that allowed me to start essentially one shoting enemies in CQC, and honestly that just isn't fun to me. I want to be challenged, so I will use the weak weapons, and not choose the "thick skin" skills just so I can be more vulnerable. The fact that I can even do this in this game excites me.

UncappedWheel82
11-18-2014, 05:15 PM
@ColdBlodedVet

Even with a max weapon, you still find the fights tough? Do the enemies get tougher as the game goes on?

ColdBloodedVet
11-18-2014, 05:33 PM
@ColdBlodedVet

Even with a max weapon, you still find the fights tough? Do the enemies get tougher as the game goes on?

A one on one fight is not tough but take for instance the heist, It Belongs In aMuseum, things can get really hairy in there when you're surrounded by 5 or 6 guards. windows are a great exit plan

UncappedWheel82
11-18-2014, 05:43 PM
A one on one fight is not tough but take for instance the heist, It Belongs In aMuseum, things can get really hairy in there when you're surrounded by 5 or 6 guards. windows are a great exit plan

So in enclosed spaces against a bunch of guard it can still be challenging. That's good to hear. You still find yourself having to run and get advantage instead of standing your guard and just dominating everyone.

ShadoeKat
11-18-2014, 05:52 PM
The tougher fights are based on the areas... one diamond, 3 diamonds, etc... that you see when you hover over the areas of Paris. Those then tell you that in order to better fight the thugs etc in that area you need to adjust your clothes and weapons. In one mission I had to rid the place of 52 thugs... not totally all at once but I'd clear a bunch and found more coming at me like 4-6 and then after I killed a few, a few more game in. And ya gotta say that any thug with a gun that shoots you sure does take the life out of you it seems no matter what outfits you wear. My Arno is at 4 diamonds and sometimes even in a 3 diamond area, ya get shot and ya gotta be on your health item to keep standing. So it's not that you can't defeat them, the point is to play it smartly and from what I can tell it seems the better you are in an area, the tougher the thugs seem to be. Now I could be wrong on that, but at times it sure feels that way.

UncappedWheel82
11-18-2014, 07:40 PM
That's cool. I don't mind not leveling skills and such, but it is nice to know that if I did they don't essentially turn ACU in to one of the past AC games in terms of difficulty.

Cptjimdandy
11-18-2014, 09:41 PM

Well said. I feel the same way also. Although I'm only able to retain access to my saved data file by playing offline, I'm still enjoying it. Prior to not figuring out how I could play my Saved Data, though, I was livid. So, my data is in tact and I can still play while waiting for a patch.

I will say, though, that I'm disappointed that the game isn't at least as fluid as AC4. Throwing down 2 smoke bombs instead of one because of lag in combat is starting to get on my nerves.

Hope the patch lands soon.

similarly
11-21-2014, 03:26 AM
I like the combat more than previous AC games, and it has definitely made me afraid of getting shot, but I wish they hadn't removed "human shield". Right now there's almost NO defense against shots. I've tried rolling away, but I've been shot mid-roll a few times.

I think it's GOOD that they tell us the level of difficulty with diamonds, but it's also a pain to be at two diamonds and everywhere I look, the difficulty is three or four. I thought the difficulty was supposed to be by area, but I'm finding level 4 stuff in the same area as level 1.

Von_Till
11-21-2014, 04:42 AM

Completely agree with you!

Try your hand at a level 5 sidequest at level 1. Two hours later into this sidequest where you take down three thug bosses and their minions I prevailed. My apologies but I forget the name of the quest and kind of remember it in the south west area of the map. Plan on remaining level 1 to attempt more.

Exhilarating to say the least. I fell in love with Unity even more...

SixKeys
11-21-2014, 12:16 PM
Completely agree with you!

Try your hand at a level 5 sidequest at level 1. Two hours later into this sidequest where you take down three thug bosses and their minions I prevailed. My apologies but I forget the name of the quest and kind of remember it in the south west area of the map. Plan on remaining level 1 to attempt more.

Exhilarating to say the least. I fell in love with Unity even more...

I'm currently a level 4 assassin and 5-star missions are still pretty difficult. Really makes you think twice before running headlong into battle. I love it.

Dangerzone50
11-21-2014, 05:27 PM
I would not mind the increased difficulty if it was optional... I'm more of a casual gamer and I enjoied the general lack of difficulty in the previous games. Make fun of me all you want but I play ac for the world and the stories, not because they are challenging.

when they upped the difficulty they should have added in a difficulty slider for those of us who just play for the story. As unity stands I could not finish it alone. I had to have a friend get me through a part I was hopelessly stuck on. The classic difficulty where you can take on an army and win easily should have remained an option.

disagree with me all you want. but the fact of the matter is that ac has several different audiences, and there should be options to cater to each of us.

similarly
11-22-2014, 02:32 AM
Dangerzone, I agree with you. I'm 43, work 12 hours a day 5, 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. I don't have a lot of hours to spend on playing a game, so I don't really like playing the SAME mission over and over again. I also play for story, exploration, FUN and not necessarily for the illusion of a challenge.

THe.NoMaD
11-22-2014, 03:10 AM
The difficulty is in perception only. You can still run around like an headless chicken gathering up guards before dropping a smoke and killing most of them. Rinse and repeat. I had a harder time fighting for control of the camera in tight spaces.

RobertMcSassin
11-22-2014, 05:20 AM
Dangerzone, I agree with you. I'm 43, work 12 hours a day 5, 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. I don't have a lot of hours to spend on playing a game, so I don't really like playing the SAME mission over and over again. I also play for story, exploration, FUN and not necessarily for the illusion of a challenge.

Same, but a smidge younger... ;) ...Yeah, like two years makes that much difference... :D ...

Aaaaamywho...I completely agree with this...I've enjoyed the fact that you can put the game on when you've got a spare half-hour, run around and do some stuff and nonsense and it's all good and easy enough...But with Unity, some areas are damned hard at an early stage...

Though, I really think that if you upgrade your stuff early enough to be ahead of the enemy diamond type, it's a lot easier...Plus, if you're having much trouble staying alive, then choose, out of necessity, the armour that upgrades your health points...Even if they're not the stuff you necessarily like...

I had much trouble getting my head around the new combat thing...But now I've got, like, 14 extra health points I can stay in a fight long enough for me to get past my initial "Damed Fool!" moment to win...Especially with a 3 diamond sword...Diamond sword?...Isn't that the wrong game?...Anyways...

Wait, I had a point a minute ago...Damn...Old age... :p ...

I'm not a fan of difficulty and challenge, I have so little time to spare, I hate to waste it frustrated...But having slowly adapted to the simple joy of "Run away!!!" rather than "Aaand counter...AHA! You're dead!!...Aaaaand Counter...AHA!..." etc...I think Unity has the potential to be my absolute fave AC experience...*Shrug*...

I truly believe patience, practice and thinking about the difficulty curve - not attempting three diamond (or higher) areas if you're a two diamond Assassin in one diamond armour until both are upgraded, is the key for us...Less able/challenge averse...types... :D ;) ...

Right, I'm off to buy that there top sword in the game... ;) ...150 000 Livres?...Pah...Patience, young one... ;) ...Well, patience and leaving the PS4 sitting there while the Cafe chest keeps refilling... :D ...I haven't even got the phantom blade yet and I've gone off exploring!!...I love this game!!... :cool: ...