PDA

View Full Version : A guide to save game

Red_dawn87
11-17-2014, 11:35 AM
If u loose your save game by an unexpected crash Or a server breakdowns causes you to loose it here is what to do.

(Unfortunately this guide will not bring back your lost save game which you have already lost but by doing this you will recover your new savegame which you have started after the shock of loosing a good progress in game)

Backup Save --->

Step 1 -> Go to where u have installed uplay game launcher (aka Uplay Client) .
(For example -> Which ever drive u have installed it for me its C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher)

Step2 -> In the uplay game launcher folder u will find Savegames folder in that folder u will find a big 30 digit number folder that is your account ID in that there will be small folders with game ID , go back copy the whole savegames folder to a different location.

click and drag the savegames folder in the uplay game launcher it to the windows explorer (folder icon on the bottom of the screen to pin it. or create a shortcut to it on desktop

Step3 -> After every sequence go to the folder through the pinned shortcut and copy the whole folder to a safe place (overwrite/delete over other folder) as u finish a session in the game . As the game is in its patches and update status (For Now) i recommend you to do this backing up of the save game very time after u finish a session.
================================================

Recovery of the savegame with the backed up save game

Step1 - > If u get a notification that your save game has been corrupted or the server could not retrieve your save game (Cloud) there was an error/problem . Close Uplay client .

Setp2 -> Delete the savegames folder in the uplay game launcher folder and copy the savegame folder which was backed up earlier and paste it in the uplay game launcher folder .

Step3 -> Now launch uplay client but dont run the game go to settings through the Gear icon in the top right corner then uncheck the Enable cloud sync for supported game .

Step4 -> Launch the game load the game play a little then close it, It wont sync now, Again go to the Gear icon in the top right corner then Check the Enable cloud sync for supported game .

Step5 -> If everything has been done correctly the cloud will sync the latest savegame upon launch after you have enabled the cloud sync and you will get your savegame back.

Tip - > By making a backup of the Savegames folder in Uplay game launcher you will make a back up of every game you own in your account not only Unity. :o

Zokana
11-17-2014, 11:43 AM
I appreciate this, and will start doing this. For this thank you.

Quick questions?

-If I have the save game corrupt right now, is there anyway it will resync if I start over, or will the cloud be resaved to a new one? Meaning a completely new game/lost old save data from cloud?
-In your opinion is my save data gone or should I wait for word from ubisoft/uplay?
-Should we even use cloud sync? Or just back them up ourselves, and leave sync off? (will be backing them up anyway from now on but should we even use sync)

Red_dawn87
11-17-2014, 12:30 PM
(My question to is is the corrupted savegame on the cloud and u have synced it or only the cloud 1 is corrupted but your pc savegame is good) So If u cant use the corrupted save game even after disabling the sync go to the savegames folder then enter the folder which has a 30digit number (which is yur uplay id) in that folder find and delete the 720 number folder after deleting this folder you can start a new savegame/campaign.

As for the second queston since many ppl have lost the save game and moved on or are frustrated idk wht ubi will do about it

and the third question the cloud sync is totally upto you if u want to use it or not . But if u have a second pc/laptop which can run unity it will be good to use the sync

Cause for me my pc lost the save game today but I got my savegame back from my laptop and it does help cause uplay only syncs if u run the game not like steam like u log in and it syncs destroying a good save by overwriting it with the corrupted 1.

Zokana
11-17-2014, 12:53 PM
I only play on one PC so I really don't need the sync then, so just copy my save files to be used as backups every hour or so.

Really sad that we have to do this from a major developer.

OcraM-SA
11-17-2014, 01:05 PM
Slightly off topic, but still related to saves, is there any way for me to have multiple save files? My girlfriend and I would like to have our own save files, I'm pretty annoyed that they have removed the option to have multiple save files.

Zokana
11-17-2014, 01:36 PM
You can basically cut your saves from folder / move them. Another player then moves their saves into the save folder, you have to play without the cloud though. otherwise the cloud will sync with the save, basically keeping it the same progress.

But yeah keep multiple saves in folders and just move them in and out of the actual save folder and DO NOT SYNC with cloud.
Name will be the same but save will be individual.

Warning I am not a expert but I believe this is your answer. Whenever you play with game files / save files its at your own risk!

Or create a second uplay account and buy another game LOL

Red_dawn87
11-17-2014, 01:38 PM
You can (If this helps you out its a bit confusing and time consuming) start your game keep it synced, When your girlfriend want to play turn off sync cut paste yur savegames folder to the desktop or wherever u want let her play by starting a new game then when she is done backup her savegames folder but don't sync her save to the servers disable the save sync option and paste in back your save this is the only way to do as of now or if any pls let me knw

OcraM-SA
11-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys, I figured that might be the case - such admin :nonchalance:

MentalHegemony
11-17-2014, 05:20 PM
If you disable cloud syncing, can you still use the companion app to unlock chests in game? Doesn't the use of the Companion require you to sync in the cloud? If all your saves are on your PC and not in the cloud, I'm guessing the app won't work and you won't be able to unlock the blue chests.

Beyond that, just go back and read your guide. It's very helpful and much appreciated. I'm just sad that we would ever have to go through such a cumbersome ordeal to safely play a game many of us spent close to $100 for. How embarrassing must that be for a major title?

BTW, Google Gamesave Manager. It's a program that once you tell it where your saves are kept, and it will background save a copy of them every X number of minutes (you decide how frequently). You can even tell it whether to overwrite previous saves or to continually make new copies. It's free, so don't think I have anything to do with promoting the company, it's just useful for any game you happen to be playing that you may want to have saved for backup.

Personally, I'm in the process of getting a refund through my retailer. I lost my save earlier before I knew any of this and I couldn't bear the thought of going through all of that again, so the game is over for me. Dragon Age opens tomorrow, so this horrible experience will be behind me soon. Good luck to those who wish to continue on from here, but I can't play the game now without getting angry at the company, so it's ruined for me, personally. On principle alone, I don't want to give this terrible company anymore of my money. It's an individual decision, I know.