PDA

View Full Version : Air assassinations and other unfinished mechanics

EmptyCrustacean
11-16-2014, 11:45 PM
Anyone notice that the air assassinations are hit and miss? Most of the time it doesn't work and isn't as fluid as in other games.
Also, why can't Arno do the backwards jump that every Assassin (including Edward) has been able to do thus far?

Do you notice any other unfinished mechanics here. Please post them.

Sejdovic11
11-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Anyone notice that the air assassinations are hit and miss? Most of the time it doesn't work and isn't as fluid as in other games.
Also, why can't Arno do the backwards jump that every Assassin (including Edward) has been able to do thus far?

Do you notice any other unfinished mechanics here. Please post them.

My friend, the whole game is unfinished, not just the mechanics...

wvstolzing
11-16-2014, 11:54 PM
What do you mean by 'backwards jump'? The 'wall eject'? It's still possible to do it; but I've heard people complain that they can't; so it might well be a bug.

ace3001
11-17-2014, 12:05 AM
Spot on.
Air assassinations are finicky. You need to look for the red outline on the target, not orange. Problem is, sometimes the red outline doesn't appear at all unless you get really close, by which point you're already spotted.
Wall eject doesn't work half the time.

These are things that are probably never going to be fixed.

Moultonborough
11-17-2014, 01:14 AM
Wall eject works you just can't press any other button. So you have to come to a dead stop before trying it. It's all because they decided to play with free running. They ditched fast walk, gentle push, put entering a window to it's own button (L2) wasting it. They never should of touched free running, I liked what is was during AC3/AC4.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 01:26 AM
I can't wall eject, and you really need it for some parts of the game. Entering windows is so frustrating - most of the time Arno wanders all around the window and just will not go in, even though I'm pressing the proper button. Also, the cover system is completely broken - sometimes you can move from cover to cover, but most times you can't. I really hate that they removed or changed so much that worked fine in previous games. Why am I always thinking "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" whenever Ubisoft decides to mess with the controller commands?.

SixKeys
11-17-2014, 01:43 AM
Wall eject only seems to work for me when the distance between the wall and another ledge/balcony is only a few meters. No longer is it possible to launch yourself back a great distance like we used to be able to do.

Air assassinations are indeed more difficult than in past games. Most of the time it seems Arno can't perform them when he's too high up, which would make sense if the game was going for realism (as the impact would likely kill him), but sometimes he can, which makes it inconsistent and more likely a bug.

EmptyCrustacean
11-17-2014, 02:02 AM
I can't wall eject, and you really need it for some parts of the game. Entering windows is so frustrating - most of the time Arno wanders all around the window and just will not go in, even though I'm pressing the proper button. Also, the cover system is completely broken - sometimes you can move from cover to cover, but most times you can't. I really hate that they removed or changed so much that worked fine in previous games. Why am I always thinking "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" whenever Ubisoft decides to mess with the controller commands?.

Tell me about it! It's so inconsistent. Not to mention the crouch button. Sometimes you tap it and it will go down and other times it won't work at all and I end up having to keep my thumb on the crouch button constantly.

Also, I've just done sequence 4 memory 2. I had to LOL. Ubisoft's attempt to do a Batman Arkham-esque invisible predator mission was such fail because their instincts push them against everything that made those missions great. For instance, if you're going to add mission constraints for full sync such as 'kill 2 guards with phantom blade' you may want to put that message at the very beginning of the mission so the player hasn't used up all the phantom blades prior to that objective popping up. And you may want to make sure that the bodies the player kills and loots has them. So dumb. XD

Also, Phantom blade is such a tack on. It's basically Ezio's ranged poison weapon but with a more instant finish. Lame.

olegri
11-17-2014, 02:17 AM
Ubisoft has f****** everyone for the last time. Seriously, this game is trash. Let's go over just SOME of the things the developers (f*** you guys) got wrong.

1. Frame Rate ... this is supposed to be next gen and I can't even get a solid 30 fps? FFS Ubisoft.
2. Glitches. Glitches ******* everywhere. I don't care how good the draw distance is if everything else is complete s***.
3. Texture pop-ups. 3/4 (if not all) of the character models don't load until you're bloody right next to their dumb faces. This is annoying AF. It feels like I'm tripping balls half of the time.
4. Free running is ridiculous. As soon as I feel I've gotten the hang of it, Arno jumps in the f****** opposite direction. Free running was never perfect in the game but god this is just a downgrade. Going through windows is the biggest pain in the a** ever.

Okay let me take a breather ... but lets continue.

5. Character and animal models. I literally see the same character model with the same dumb look on its face every couple of seconds. Also that dog model is everywhere, just sitting there.. so dumb. The previous AC games tried to expand on the wildlife and this stupid game took away all of that. I can't even f****** ride horses? Are you serious? Why would you take away these features from a game, especially when EVERYONE loves them? omg the fury is real
6. Picking up weapons. AC revelations had this part figured out. If I see a weapon on the ground, why can't I pick it up? Are you serious...
7. Interaction with civilians. This might sound cynical, but you can't kill pedestrians? There is no interaction with the world. And its the same two f****** street missions all the time. Kill the bad guys and tackle the thief. BY THE WAY, WHAT DOES TACKLING THE THIEF EVEN DO? ITS NOT LIKE YOU RECLAIM THE STOLEN BELONGINGS ... whose f***** bright idea was it at ubisoft to incorporate this s***.
8. Combat/Stealth - I'm going to jam these two in together. I can barely get a double assassination ever and no locking on to characters? WTF
9. No equipping hidden blade? WHAT IF I ONLY WANT TO USE THE HIDDEN BLADE? I use a smoke grenade and I can only slash these idiots until the smoke dissipates and they start attacking again? smh...
10. The customization in this game is OKAY to say the most, but seriously most of the gear looks the same, these guys spent no time on this s***.
11. (I'm getting picky now, but f*** you ubisoft, you deserve it for being a b****) THE LITTLE SIDE BLOGS TO THE RIGHT, LIKE IM READING ONE AND THEN SOMETHING POPS UP OVER IT AND I HAVE TO WAIT FOR IT TO DISAPPEAR... so annoying
12. WHY ARE BERSERK/PHANTOM BLADES SO EXPENSIVE AND YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 2/5 FOR LIKE MOST OF THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME? Ubisoft is really trying to f*** us here in the a** guys with their real money bulls*** ...

I'm pretty pissed writing this so i'll stop here, even though theres loads more wrong with this piece of crap. Why am I so pissed? b/c I dropped $70 on this and hate it with a passion. I seriously hope people stop supporting this BS company, all they care about is seeing their stock rise hence why the release unfinished games during Q4. What a bunch of snakes, and then they have the audacity to be proud of this crud. Smells like D3 all over again. SMH ubisoft.

AC UNITY: 0/10 DO NOT BUY

steveeire
11-17-2014, 02:19 AM
As well as the backwards eject not working right, the climbing leap doesn't always work.

Steelray25
11-17-2014, 02:36 AM
If I want to go through a window, Arno will grab the top of the frame and pull himself up to climb.

If I want to climb up on the SIDE of a window, he'll launch himself through it.

Every time. Ugh.

I LOVE some of the new animations. Running assassinations, finishers. But, with a game featuring people parading around with heads on pikes, we have no dismemberment or decapitations? Not that I necessarily want that much blood and gore, but some of those finishers? Yeah, his head's coming off.

steveeire
11-17-2014, 02:38 AM
lol yeah I hate that.

ace3001
11-17-2014, 02:48 AM
If I want to go through a window, Arno will grab the top of the frame and pull himself up to climb.

If I want to climb up on the SIDE of a window, he'll launch himself through it.

Every time. Ugh.

I LOVE some of the new animations. Running assassinations, finishers. But, with a game featuring people parading around with heads on pikes, we have no dismemberment or decapitations? Not that I necessarily want that much blood and gore, but some of those finishers? Yeah, his head's coming off.

Don't know about which buttons on consoles, but on PC, holding CTRL when near a window ensures he enters it.

steveeire
11-17-2014, 02:52 AM
its R2 on the ps4 and it doesn't always work alot of the time he just climbs past it.

Bigodon
11-17-2014, 03:04 AM
BRAVO olegri
they deserve this

i got to my limit today ans f*ck this game, just stop in ch9 and don't want to play this chaotic mess until they fix it

SixKeys
11-17-2014, 03:29 AM
5. Character and animal models. I literally see the same character model with the same dumb look on its face every couple of seconds. Also that dog model is everywhere, just sitting there.. so dumb. The previous AC games tried to expand on the wildlife and this stupid game took away all of that. I can't even f****** ride horses? Are you serious? Why would you take away these features from a game, especially when EVERYONE loves them? omg the fury is real

Riding horses is gone because no-one was doing it in cities in that time period anymore. You might as well ask why you can't ride horses in 21st century New York.

7. Interaction with civilians. This might sound cynical, but you can't kill pedestrians? There is no interaction with the world. And its the same two f****** street missions all the time. Kill the bad guys and tackle the thief. BY THE WAY, WHAT DOES TACKLING THE THIEF EVEN DO? ITS NOT LIKE YOU RECLAIM THE STOLEN BELONGINGS ... whose f***** bright idea was it at ubisoft to incorporate this s***.

You were never able to kill civilians in previous games, at least no more than 2-3 at a time. AC3 made it even more difficult by not allowing you to target them. It's still possible if you shoot a phantom blade or gun into the crowd without aiming. Not sure what fun you would get out of killing civilians, though. This isn't GTA, it's about social stealth.

There are a few other crowd events, like "scare the bullies" (by dropping bombs), "throw money to the beggars" and "kill the messenger without being seen". Considering previous games didn't have ANY of those, I'm not sure why you're complaining that Unity has many such events.

8. Combat/Stealth - I'm going to jam these two in together. I can barely get a double assassination ever and no locking on to characters? WTF

I'm guessing you didn't do the tutorial on double assassinations? Both targets need to be highlighted in red or else you will only kill one of them. It works every time for me since I did the tutorial.

Why would you need locking on to characters? That feature hasn't been there for the last 3 games.

9. No equipping hidden blade? WHAT IF I ONLY WANT TO USE THE HIDDEN BLADE? I use a smoke grenade and I can only slash these idiots until the smoke dissipates and they start attacking again? smh...

If you only want to use the hidden blade, don't buy any other equipment. Assassinations are still performed with the hidden blade, you just can't use them in combat because that's not realistic.

12. WHY ARE BERSERK/PHANTOM BLADES SO EXPENSIVE AND YOU CAN ONLY HAVE 2/5 FOR LIKE MOST OF THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME? Ubisoft is really trying to f*** us here in the a** guys with their real money bulls*** ...

Because if you could stock up on them, the game would become super easy. Just one-shot kill everything from a distance. Real challenging. Certain customizations allow you to carry more of them, so it's not like the option isn't there.

MnemonicSyntax
11-17-2014, 03:32 AM
"scare the bullies" (by dropping bombs).

Don't waste bombs Six, just pull out your weapon.

SixKeys
11-17-2014, 03:37 AM

But it's more fun with bombs.

Sejdovic11
11-17-2014, 03:43 AM
If you only want to use the hidden blade, don't buy any other equipment. Assassinations are still performed with the hidden blade, you just can't use them in combat because that's not realistic.

How realistic is dropping from 100m into a hay carts? Playing games and talking about realism... Get it together, please...

Assassin_M
11-17-2014, 03:49 AM
I aimed my gun at them and said "Let him go"

that was cool.

SixKeys
11-17-2014, 03:53 AM
How realistic is dropping from 100m into a hay carts? Playing games and talking about realism... Get it together, please...

I agree, it's unrealistic. But if they removed leaps of faith, people would complain about that too. You can never please some people.

If you don't think these games should have any realism, why not just give Arno wings and make him shoot fireballs? There are certain levels of willing suspension of disbelief. Haycarts are still in the games because they're iconic (though I wouldn't be opposed to removing them personally), but some things inevitably have to change if you're trying to improve the core mechanics. Hidden blade combat made no sense, since in RL a thin piece of metal wouldn't stand a chance against a heavy axe or sword. Since improving combat was a high priority for ACU, it makes sense to make combat more realistic. That means making the assassin less overpowered and giving him weapons with proper stats instead of one insta-kill tool.

Sejdovic11
11-17-2014, 04:03 AM
I agree, it's unrealistic. But if they removed leaps of faith, people would complain about that too. You can never please some people.

If you don't think these games should have any realism, why not just give Arno wings and make him shoot fireballs? There are certain levels of willing suspension of disbelief. Haycarts are still in the games because they're iconic (though I wouldn't be opposed to removing them personally), but some things inevitably have to change if you're trying to improve the core mechanics. Hidden blade combat made no sense, since in RL a thin piece of metal wouldn't stand a chance against a heavy axe or sword. Since improving combat was a high priority for ACU, it makes sense to make combat more realistic. That means making the assassin less overpowered and giving him weapons with proper stats instead of one insta-kill tool.

I don't know mate, but let people fight with they ***** if they want to. If I want to play "realistic" games I will play simulators, not AC. Yes, you will not please people by taking steps backwards with your game, that's true. They released broken game that 100 patches will not be able to fix it. Mark my words, their problems will not be solved, because they suck at coding, these problems should never exist at all... I don't even want to mention climbing into the windows, biggest pain in the as* ever... This game is a joke, and that's it. If you enjoy I'm more than happy for you mate, at the and, we are all AC fans and are looking for some fun that previous games provided us with... Cheers!

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 04:18 AM
11. (I'm getting picky now, but f*** you ubisoft, you deserve it for being a b****) THE LITTLE SIDE BLOGS TO THE RIGHT, LIKE IM READING ONE AND THEN SOMETHING POPS UP OVER IT AND I HAVE TO WAIT FOR IT TO DISAPPEAR... so annoying

Oh man! You are so right! I mean, what bright spark made it so that some useless reminder always pops up when you're reading a newspaper or getting a cafe mission? Surely someone could have spotted that and moved the pop-up lower or higher.

The whole game is full of these petty annoyances!

But despite this stuff, somehow I'm still enjoying the game. At least the voice acting is reasonable, story not too bad and just walking around Paris is still fun. Also, I'm having fun watching the shows in the cafe and just listening to people on the street. Maybe it's just the hope that the annoyances will get fixed that's carrying me through. The problem is, that can only get me so far, and I'm sure this stuff is still going to be an issue in a week when I really can't take any more frustration.

SixKeys
11-17-2014, 04:26 AM
I don't know mate, but let people fight with they ***** if they want to. If I want to play "realistic" games I will play simulators, not AC. Yes, you will not please people by taking steps backwards with your game, that's true. They released broken game that 100 patches will not be able to fix it. Mark my words, their problems will not be solved, because they suck at coding, these problems should never exist at all... I don't even want to mention climbing into the windows, biggest pain in the as* ever... This game is a joke, and that's it. If you enjoy I'm more than happy for you mate, at the and, we are all AC fans and are looking for some fun that previous games provided us with... Cheers!

AC is a simulator. It was conceived of as an assassin simulator. People who didn't grasp that concept complained about AC1 being boring, hence we ended up with the GTA-esque sequels. Unity is an attempt at reconciling both approaches. It still has some action-packed side content reminiscent of Ezio games, but it also attempts to bring the series closer to its roots as an assassin simulator.

I won't argue about glitches and technical issues, but those are unrelated to whether the gameplay mechanics are good or not. If Arno falls through the floor, that's a coding problem. If Arno can't fight with hidden blades, that's an intentional gameplay decision, not a sign of a broken game.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-17-2014, 04:30 AM

LOL. That made me laugh. :)

I don't mind the lack of decapitations as a finishing move (it would be cool, but a bit over the top). But I do mind that they show only three people being guillotined during the entire game - that's EVERY SINGLE guillotine cutscene that they showed in the trailers. I thought they would keep one of them back for the game. And where was Marie Antoinette's beheading? Is that reverse sexism - are they not showing it just because she's a woman? I mean, Paris in the 1790s was a period and a place literally drenched in blood, and they only show three people getting their heads chopped off and they miss probably THE most important contributing factor to the Terror - Marat's assassination.

There are such a lot of missed opportunities in this game.