PDA

View Full Version : Performance issues :Please do something Ubisoft!

small2assassins
11-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Well I've got the same problem as most of you guys. Performance is bad.
Now the thing is my rig is not the most killer gaming machine ever, but still it's enough to run the games that have come out in the past years.

My Rig
AMD Phenom X3 8750B
4GB RAM
GTX 650 OC'ed to 1.25 GHz
Using Solid state storage for games

Last year I ran AC4 without any hiccups at high settings. Now mind you I run games at 1440x900. I got around 40-50 fps at sea and 30-40 on land at high textures and stuff with HBAO. Just got Unity and from my previous experience with Watch Dogs and the recently released system requirements for the game, I didn't expect to get 30fps on high but I was pretty sure I'd get at least 30 fps on low settings and AA turned off. And that was just not the case.

I got a flat 6-7 fps in the game at first start up. I saw the settings and they were all set to high, so I turned down everything to low, AA off, restarted the game, and still no change. Decreasing resolution has no effect on fps either. On top of that there are quite extreme visual glitches from the start.

CPU is sitting around 50-60% usage on all 3 cores. GPU is around 20%. I have no idea why is that happening. Usually in demanding games this is not what happens with the CPU and GPU. I'm just disappointed at how badly this game runs overall considering everything. It doesn't even manage to utilize the resources properly. And no I did not exceed my GPU memory, It is sitting around 890-970 MBs. At this point I'm just disappointed in Ubisoft, they are really calling for people to turn away and not buy their games anymore.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS UBISOFT!

MisterBunBun
11-16-2014, 09:51 PM
Hey i have the same Problem but worse! When i start Assassins Creed Unity and try playing it it crashes instandly so i cant even play first mission. I texted the support but they are just ignorering me and that is inpolite of Ubisoft because if they have Problems with a game they should atleast inform us and reply to us.
Im pissed at Ubisoft and i hope they fix the Problems in atleast a month otherwise i will have to call them and i dont want to do that.
Yours Mrbunnykiller

Afflictio.on
11-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Well I've got the same problem as most of you guys. Performance is bad.
Now the thing is my rig is not the most killer gaming machine ever, but still it's enough to run the games that have come out in the past years.

My Rig
AMD Phenom X3 8750B
4GB RAM
GTX 650 OC'ed to 1.25 GHz
Using Solid state storage for games

Last year I ran AC4 without any hiccups at high settings. Now mind you I run games at 1440x900. I got around 40-50 fps at sea and 30-40 on land at high textures and stuff with HBAO. Just got Unity and from my previous experience with Watch Dogs and the recently released system requirements for the game, I didn't expect to get 30fps on high but I was pretty sure I'd get at least 30 fps on low settings and AA turned off. And that was just not the case.

I got a flat 6-7 fps in the game at first start up. I saw the settings and they were all set to high, so I turned down everything to low, AA off, restarted the game, and still no change. Decreasing resolution has no effect on fps either. On top of that there are quite extreme visual glitches from the start.

CPU is sitting around 50-60% usage on all 3 cores. GPU is around 20%. I have no idea why is that happening. Usually in demanding games this is not what happens with the CPU and GPU. I'm just disappointed at how badly this game runs overall considering everything. It doesn't even manage to utilize the resources properly. And no I did not exceed my GPU memory, It is sitting around 890-970 MBs. At this point I'm just disappointed in Ubisoft, they are really calling for people to turn away and not buy their games anymore.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS UBISOFT!

u need more ram, i think

MrZalarox
11-17-2014, 08:56 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/952695-Unity-not-using-nvidia-GPU-fully?p=10347800#post10347800

I have the same issue, sadly I found this thread after I made mine. ANY help would be appreciated.

Also, no you don't need more RAM. Problem exists with 8GB which is WAY more than this game requires.

brunokranz2014
11-19-2014, 03:31 PM
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/952695-Unity-not-using-nvidia-GPU-fully?p=10347800#post10347800

I have the same issue, sadly I found this thread after I made mine. ANY help would be appreciated.

Also, no you don't need more RAM. Problem exists with 8GB which is WAY more than this game requires.

I agree with you, I have 8gb of ram and still the same problem

brunokranz2014
11-19-2014, 03:35 PM
may be insufficient GPU memory?

small2assassins
11-19-2014, 03:50 PM
may be insufficient GPU memory?
No I measure all my hardware usage through MSI afterburner and my GPU memory is enough, it sits at around 800-900 MBs at all times. And ACU only takes up 1.4 GB RAM at max I have about 40-45% RAM free when ACU is running.
I've tried everything, nothing makes the game utilize the CPU and GPU to the max.
One strange thing I wanted to mention is that when I turn all settings in game to ultra high and climb a tower and look at the horizon, mind you not the sky but the horizon, my GPU usage goes up to 80% and I get around 25 fps. I don't know why this happens and if I look anywhere else on the ground or sky, fps drops to 5-7 again.

MrZalarox
11-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Yeah I have the same problem along with multiple people, mate. It's nothing on your end, it's the game.

Here's directly from what they're coming up on fixing from their "Live Updates Blog":

Improving task scheduling: We’ve tuned the way the computing tasks are prioritized and parallelized by the processor cores to improve framerate in certain edge cases.

It's their fault. They're going to fix it. We just need to wait now.

small2assassins
11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Yeah I have the same problem along with multiple people, mate. It's nothing on your end, it's the game.

Here's directly from what they're coming up on fixing from their "Live Updates Blog":

Improving task scheduling: We’ve tuned the way the computing tasks are prioritized and parallelized by the processor cores to improve framerate in certain edge cases.

It's their fault. They're going to fix it. We just need to wait now.

Yes I saw the post on the blog, I hope they fix the issues so lower end hardware can run the game. I've also submitted a ticket for the issue, fingers crossed for now.

Lignjoslav
11-19-2014, 05:07 PM
small2assassins, I'm afraid your PC is allround too weak for this game.

The CPU is first generation Phenom, only 3 cores and at just 2.4 GHz. Whether that's reasonable or not, this game simply demands more. For comparison, I've got a Phenom II X4 at 3.2 GHz (that's 33% more cores and 33% higher frequency, three times the cache and a later architecture) and it's still not quite enough. :(

A GTX 650 isn't going to cut it either. From what I've gathered, Unity requires at least a GTX 750, or preferably a 750Ti.

With 4GB RAM, you need to set textures to low. I know because I have 4GB too. At the next higher setting, my framerate would die while freerunning and even while standing in place, spinning the camera, and I would see the HDD activity LED light up. Also, while Task Manager would show the game to only use 2.6GB, my entire RAM and virtual memory would fill up to the point that Windows would start giving me warnings. It would all clear up after closing the game.

Anderslash
11-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Yes I saw the post on the blog, I hope they fix the issues so lower end hardware can run the game. I've also submitted a ticket for the issue, fingers crossed for now.

I'm a little bit of skeptical about if the fix is going to substantially increase frame rate on low end hardware.

small2assassins
11-19-2014, 06:13 PM
small2assassins, I'm afraid your PC is allround too weak for this game.

The CPU is first generation Phenom, only 3 cores and at just 2.4 GHz. Whether that's reasonable or not, this game simply demands more. For comparison, I've got a Phenom II X4 at 3.2 GHz (that's 33% more cores and 33% higher frequency, three times the cache and a later architecture) and it's still not quite enough. :(

A GTX 650 isn't going to cut it either. From what I've gathered, Unity requires at least a GTX 750, or preferably a 750Ti.

With 4GB RAM, you need to set textures to low. I know because I have 4GB too. At the next higher setting, my framerate would die while freerunning and even while standing in place, spinning the camera, and I would see the HDD activity LED light up. Also, while Task Manager would show the game to only use 2.6GB, my entire RAM and virtual memory would fill up to the point that Windows would start giving me warnings. It would all clear up after closing the game.

I know the CPU will bottleneck the game at some point, but it is not that weak. I can not possibly achieve 60fps with this CPU but it can easily push 30 fps. So can the GPU if it works at a 100%. The thing about bottlenecking is that it is easily visible. My CPU or GPU usage is nowhere near 100%. And I have tried various settings and running around in game to see it performance gets better, and I never ran out of RAM. Plus I have an SSD which I think would be fast enough to handle the game and my OS.
I have been bottlenecked by my CPU in Crysis 3, where near the start of the game my CPU was pinned at 100% and so was my GPU and I didn't complain about it because I knew it my PC was not strong enough to handle it. Here I don't think that is the case, If my CPU or GPU was sitting at a 100% and then I'd get 6-7 fps, I'd happily accept that my PC was not powerful enough for this, but the game isn't even pushing my system to the limits.
And performance difference between a GTX 650 and GTX 750 is negligible especially since I have overclocked mine greatly.

dericslab
11-19-2014, 06:49 PM
I have to agree with Small2Assassins.

This game is seriously graphics hungry.
I am running a high end rig but my graphics card was a GTX 660 still.
I replaced my graphics card and its smooth as silk now.

MrZalarox
11-20-2014, 02:34 AM
small2assassins has it right. Once the utilisation fixes, this issue will hopefully fix too.

Lignjoslav
11-20-2014, 03:16 PM
My remarks were concerning the game in its current state. I hope you guys are right and they fix it.

As for RAM, your experioence is probably different from mine for 2 reasons:

You didn't limit your virtual memory (at least not as low as me) and that's why you didn't get the "memory full" warnings;
You've got an SSD and your framerate is lower even than mine to begin with, so swapping didn't cause wisible slowdowns; if they fix the game as we hope, it's likely that it will be a bigger issue.

CHosIN1
11-20-2014, 03:48 PM
the game is resource hog and a system eater http://www.anandtech.com/show/8738/benchmarked-assassins-creed-unity
whether it is low-ultra. if curious! Don't pick apart article ubisoft released a statement saying the performance patch as of now will only be minimal so wouldnt expect much gains there.