PDA

View Full Version : Should they port Assassin's Creed: Rogue to current gen consoles?

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Pretty much what the title says.

I think the game has enough power to be worth carrying over.

I also think it deserves a full complement of DLC and material.

The game is also beautiful and would look GORGEOUS on a current-gen tech, I believe.

How about you?

Conniving_Eagle
11-15-2014, 05:29 PM
An extra few sequences would be nice as well. I liked the game but one of my main gripes with it was that it had a similar amount of side content as Black Flag but maybe half the story length.

SpiritOfNevaeh
11-15-2014, 05:39 PM
If the demand is high enough for a current gen port, then that's definitely a possibility.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 05:43 PM
If the demand is high enough for a current gen port, then that's definitely a possibility.

I know I'd buy it and I rarely do with games I already like.

Of course, I think this game needs some filling out.

Stuff like the Bonfire of the Vanities and the Siege of Sforza Castle.

Stuff which wasn't in the main game but should have been.

F3nix013
11-15-2014, 05:45 PM
It already IS on current gen. Current gen is the 360 and PS3. Next gen is the XB1 and PS4.

Fatal-Feit
11-15-2014, 05:47 PM
It already IS on current gen. Current gen is the 360 and PS3. Next gen is the XB1 and PS4.

Next-gen is referred towards new hardware that isn't released yet.

Current-gen is X1/PS4, 360/PS3 is last-gen.

F3nix013
11-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Next-gen is referred towards new hardware that isn't released yet.

Current-gen is X1/PS4, 360/PS3 is last-gen.

So why is it that most people in the gaming industry still refer to XB1 and PS4 as next gen? It wont be current gen until they stop making games for the 360 and PS3 and so far that hasnt happened yet.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 06:03 PM
So why is it that most people in the gaming industry still refer to XB1 and PS4 as next gen? It wont be current gen until they stop making games for the 360 and PS3 and so far that hasnt happened yet.

Well it's only been out for awhile. I'm still adjusting to it myself. Calling it 8th generation technology is accurate but sounds confusing. But yeah, I mean, porting it to Xbox One and PS4.

:-)

RinoTheBouncer
11-15-2014, 06:43 PM
I don’t get why would anyone say “No”. I mean if anybody doesn’t want it, they can just not buy it. I’m sure there will be enough people who will wanna experience it for the first time or replay it in a remastered version. I just hope they add something to it rather than just copy/paste to PS4.

flyin-bart
11-15-2014, 06:45 PM
I would love to see Rouge come to the PS4 and XB1

I really enjoyed AC BF, and it's world. Hope they do bring Rouge to the next gen consoles.......only thing that's stopped me from getting it TBH, I never get the PS3 out now.

MnemonicSyntax
11-15-2014, 06:48 PM
I don’t get why would anyone say “No”. I mean if anybody doesn’t want it, they can just not buy it. I’m sure there will be enough people who will wanna experience it for the first time or replay it in a remastered version. I just hope they add something to it rather than just copy/paste to PS4.

This question has been asked before and the response was "It's not fair to the people don't own PS4s/X1s and if they port it over they should port Unity to 360/PS3" I tried to explain that it doesn't work that way, but people can't afford new consoles and I get that... but there's no reason why those that can should suffer.

F3nix013
11-15-2014, 06:50 PM
This question has been asked before and the response was "It's not fair to the people don't own PS4s/X1s and if they port it over they should port Unity to 360/PS3" I tried to explain that it doesn't work that way, but people can't afford new consoles and I get that... but there's no reason why those that can should suffer.

Actually, i have to point out that Rockstar is doing that exact thing with GTA5. They are making a next gen version of the game.

MnemonicSyntax
11-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Actually, i have to point out that Rockstar is doing that exact thing with GTA5. They are making a next gen version of the game.

No, they're not. Rockstar is taking a "current gen" version of GTAV and making it into Next Gen, which is what would be the same regarding Rogue. Porting Unity backwards to "current gen" is not the same thing in the slightest.

F3nix013
11-15-2014, 06:57 PM
No, they're not. Rockstar is taking a "current gen" version of GTAV and making it into Next Gen, which is what would be the same regarding Rogue. Porting Unity backwards to "current gen" is not the same thing in the slightest.

Uhh, yea it is.

In software engineering, porting is the process of adapting software so that an executable program can be created for a computing environment that is different from the one for which it was originally designed (e.g. different CPU, operating system, or third party library). The term is also used when software/hardware is changed to make them usable in different environments.

How is that not the same thing?

MnemonicSyntax
11-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Uhh, yea it is.

In software engineering, porting is the process of adapting software so that an executable program can be created for a computing environment that is different from the one for which it was originally designed (e.g. different CPU, operating system, or third party library). The term is also used when software/hardware is changed to make them usable in different environments.

How is that not the same thing?

Because Rogue and GTAV were created on "current gen" consoles and being ported forward to "next gen" consoles.
Unity would be a backwards port, from "next gen" to "current gen" and is not what Rockstar is doing. If GTAV was only PS4 and Xbox1 and was ported backwards to PS3 and Xbox 360, then your statement would work, but it's not what Rockstar is doing.

RinoTheBouncer
11-15-2014, 07:06 PM

Yeah. It’s not about fair and unfair, it’s about what works and what doesn’t work. ACU obviously won’t work on PS3, or at least be more like Tomb Raider: Underworld for PS2 and Wii compared to the one on PS3. It was heavily edited and structures were removed, caves turned to corridors to suit the capabilities of the PS2. But there’s no reason for AC:Ro not to be ported. Besides, those who cannot afford a PS4 will not be harmed in any way because they already got a game tailored for their consoles.

Eventually, games will start coming out only on PS4 and everybody will be shifting to the new generation, so there’s nothing unfair about it. Just like how nobody uses VCD o VHS these days and soon nobody will be using DVDs, either.

MnemonicSyntax
11-15-2014, 07:07 PM
Yeah. It’s not about fair and unfair, it’s about what works and what doesn’t work. ACU obviously won’t work on PS3, or at least be more like Tomb Raider: Underworld for PS2 and Wii compared to the one on PS3. It was heavily edited and structures were removed, caves turned to corridors to suit the capabilities of the PS2. But there’s no reason for AC:Ro not to be ported. Besides, those who cannot afford a PS4 will not be harmed in any way because they already got a game tailored for their consoles.

Eventually, games will start coming out only on PS4 and everybody will be shifting to the new generation, so there’s nothing unfair about it. Just like how nobody uses VCD o VHS these days and soon nobody will be using DVDs, either.

Bingo.

Fatal-Feit
11-15-2014, 07:09 PM
So why is it that most people in the gaming industry still refer to XB1 and PS4 as next gen?

Because it's catchy for consumers and sells more products.

It wont be current gen until they stop making games for the 360 and PS3 and so far that hasnt happened yet.

Where's the logic in that? Because developers are still making games for last-gen, the X1 and PS4 are considered next-gen? Yeah, no. By that logic, the PS3/360 should be considered next-gen, as there are PS2 games that have recently been released.

And if you want to get technical, the hardware for ''next-gen'' consoles aren't even next-gen.

It doesn't really matter, they're factually current-gen. People can still call it next-gen and know what they mean.

F3nix013
11-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Because Rogue and GTAV were created on "current gen" consoles and being ported forward to "next gen" consoles.
Unity would be a backwards port, from "next gen" to "current gen" and is not what Rockstar is doing. If GTAV was only PS4 and Xbox1 and was ported backwards to PS3 and Xbox 360, then your statement would work, but it's not what Rockstar is doing.

He isnt saying anything about Unity though. He is talking about why Rogue should be porting forward to next gen. And my point was that is what Rockstar is doing, they are porting GTA5 forward to next gen so Ubisoft should be able to do that as well.

There was no talk about porting backward.

MnemonicSyntax
11-15-2014, 07:11 PM
He isnt saying anything about Unity though. He is talking about why Rogue should be porting forward to next gen. And my point was that is what Rockstar is doing, they are porting GTA5 forward to next gen so Ubisoft should be able to do that as well.

There was no talk about porting backward.

Did you read my initial post? I don't think you did, at least not thoroughly.

Reread it again, and get back to me.

F3nix013
11-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Did you read my initial post? I don't think you did, at least not thoroughly.

Reread it again, and get back to me.

I reead it but they wouldnt port unity backward because the gaming industry is pushing for the next gen to be current gen and sooner or later they wont be making 360/PS3 games anymore. Either way people are going to have to buy the new consoles if they want to keep playing the new games coming out.

MnemonicSyntax
11-15-2014, 07:22 PM
I reead it but they wouldnt port unity backward because the gaming industry is pushing for the next gen to be current gen and sooner or later they wont be making 360/PS3 games anymore. Either way people are going to have to buy the new consoles if they want to keep playing the new games coming out.

Atta' boy!

That was my whole point. Backwards porting doesn't work and on the super rare occasion it does work, it doesn't work well or is completely void of all parts of the game that make it what it is, like Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis System.

F3nix013
11-15-2014, 07:32 PM
Atta' boy!

That was my whole point. Backwards porting doesn't work and on the super rare occasion it does work, it doesn't work well or is completely void of all parts of the game that make it what it is, like Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis System.

I legitimately dont understand, what would preventing backwards porting in favor of next gen have to do with porting Rogue forward? Either way people will have to get the next gen if they want to keep playing the new games so why would it be unfair to port Rogue forward and keep it on current gen? GTA5 is porting forward while also leaving it on current gen. Its not like it is unfair because again, either way people will have to buy the new systems if they want to keep playing.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 08:03 PM
I think on a basic level, what everyone is trying to say:

1. Porting something to next generation technology is possible.

2. Backwards porting is also possible but reduces the game's effectiveness and would make it suck.

3. There's nothing preventing Ubisoft from porting Rogue to Next Gen/Current Gen.

Borshay
11-15-2014, 08:04 PM
I'd love to see a AC3 + Liberation + Rogue combo released for the current gen consoles. Since the announcement Rogue has looked like a more interesting game than Unity. I loved the naval mechanics and really want to go back to that region for some fun.

I'd be happy with it running as well as Black Flag on PS4.

steveeire
11-15-2014, 08:18 PM
I'm holding off buying this because they will port it (AC4 was ported) I really don't want to be buying last gen games anymore.

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 08:19 PM
Digitally, yes.

I would also like DLC pls.

wickywoowoo
11-15-2014, 08:37 PM
If this goes to PS4 with all DLC that is related to it for a price about half what I've paid for the special edition this week, I'll be furious. Why not just put the damn thing out on PS4 in the first place then?

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 09:37 PM
If this goes to PS4 with all DLC that is related to it for a price about half what I've paid for the special edition this week, I'll be furious. Why not just put the damn thing out on PS4 in the first place then?

Honestly? I think they expected it to be a for cash game (not bothering to tell the writers) while expecting Unity to dazzle everyone with its next-generation-ness.

wickywoowoo
11-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Honestly? I think they expected it to be a for cash game (not bothering to tell the writers) while expecting Unity to dazzle everyone with its next-generation-ness.

I was annoyed enough that Liberation got re-done for PS3 (if people didn't get the Vita version, it's their loss) but if they do it again with this, I fail to see the point of the original release then. It's obvious fleecing of fans who buy the original. It isn't fair, I'd say they should put a discount for those who own the original version but how do you implement a system like that? You can't.

Annoys me.

F3nix013
11-15-2014, 09:57 PM
I was annoyed enough that Liberation got re-done for PS3 (if people didn't get the Vita version, it's their loss) but if they do it again with this, I fail to see the point of the original release then. It's obvious fleecing of fans who buy the original. It isn't fair, I'd say they should put a discount for those who own the original version but how do you implement a system like that? You can't.

Annoys me.

they did that with ghosts for $10 where you could play the game and then upgrade it to the next gen but it was only a limited time offer.

wickywoowoo
11-15-2014, 10:08 PM
they did that with ghosts for $10 where you could play the game and then upgrade it to the next gen but it was only a limited time offer.

I could maybe accept that but I am also a dweeb who loves all the Collectors/Special editions so I'd be annoyed having extra DLC missions where it is a download only game but that's just me, I am a fan for physical media so paying for DLC at all bugs me as if they pull it/servers go down, I've paid for something I do not have. I think everything should be physical media.

Ugh, I just don't like buying on day one and being crapped on in favour of people who didn't want to know and who then get treated like gold.

MakimotoJin
11-15-2014, 10:22 PM
I would sacrifice a goat if they remade Rogue with Unity's engine.Without the bugs,of course.

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Isn't unity made on the same engine? (anvil)

killzab
11-15-2014, 11:16 PM

DAT irony !

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 11:49 PM

Annoys me.

Well, the point would be to reach the maximum number of fans possible.

wickywoowoo
11-15-2014, 11:51 PM
Well, the point would be to reach the maximum number of fans possible.

Why not release it like Black Flag did across every platform possible in the first place then instead of the obvious rip off of Special Editions for last gen and then re-releasing a superior version later, with any and all DLC included, for half the price?

bitebug2003
11-16-2014, 12:26 AM
Yes they should - I have AC4 for both PS3 and PS4

MnemonicSyntax
11-16-2014, 12:36 AM
I legitimately dont understand, what would preventing backwards porting in favor of next gen have to do with porting Rogue forward? Either way people will have to get the next gen if they want to keep playing the new games so why would it be unfair to port Rogue forward and keep it on current gen? GTA5 is porting forward while also leaving it on current gen. Its not like it is unfair because again, either way people will have to buy the new systems if they want to keep playing.

Azrael, you'll find me agreeing with you.

That being said though, I was stating what other people have said regarding the issue. "It's not fair."

Annoys me.

That's one of the downsides of being an early adopter. Not just with Ubisoft either, but with games, hardware, etc.

On the other hand, you run the risk of not getting it on the platform you have and missing out on it because it's not worth a separate purchase (ie Vita)

I had Rogue preordered but when it was announced on PC I cancelled it. Until then, I was going to have to use my fiancÚ's 360.

Locopells
11-16-2014, 12:51 AM
I feel I should point out that, with a PC port already in the works, it's highly likely this will happen.

F3nix013
11-16-2014, 02:25 AM
Azrael, you'll find me agreeing with you.

That being said though, I was stating what other people have said regarding the issue. "It's not fair."

Ok, now i get it. Got confused with the way you presented your first comment.

Charles_Phipps
11-16-2014, 02:45 AM
Why not release it like Black Flag did across every platform possible in the first place then instead of the obvious rip off of Special Editions for last gen and then re-releasing a superior version later, with any and all DLC included, for half the price?

Well, the downside would be not knowing whether Rogue was going to be a big success or well-received, like, again, Unity was predicted as being.

Shahkulu101
11-16-2014, 02:46 AM
I guess they might as well for the dosh

Personally think I'm just going with the ps3 version and sticking to it because that will be the cheapest version overall. I wouldn't care about the visual upgrade if the game isn't quite up to snuff.

GoldenBoy9999
11-16-2014, 03:56 AM
This was a pretty big topic for me pre-release and I discussed it with forumers like Kiwi. He convinced me to go ahead and get it on last gen and not wait for a port. I'm glad I went ahead and got it because I'm loving it. I'm playing it before Unity.

That said, I would welcome a current gen port. Rogue very much has the potential to become my favorite AC game of all time and I'm still at the part where he's an assassin. I'd love to experience Rogue on my Xbox One with improved graphics and with my better controller instead of my old clunky one. I definitely think the remaster would be worth it. I think a remaster of any of the old 360 era AC games would be worth it. It'd be awesome to experience the immersive locales of Rogue on the new generation.

Charles_Phipps
11-16-2014, 12:58 PM
I am hoping this game get's a large amount of support.

While AC3 was the controversial stepchild of the series, it got the Tyranny of King Washington DLC plus plenty of other fun bits.

I think Rogue has an interesting enough setting and characters to be expanded upon.

Sadly, I don't think Shay has sequel potential.

Much like Edward Kenway, his story is done thereafter.

VestigialLlama4
11-16-2014, 05:15 PM
I am hoping this game get's a large amount of support.

While AC3 was the controversial stepchild of the series, it got the Tyranny of King Washington DLC plus plenty of other fun bits.

I think Rogue has an interesting enough setting and characters to be expanded upon.

Sadly, I don't think Shay has sequel potential.

Much like Edward Kenway, his story is done thereafter.

If they want to, they can maybe visit Ireland for the 1798 Rebellion, that was an attempted Irish Revolution(which would fit in with what Shay describes) which the French tried(and failed) to assist and which was brutally suppressed by the English, more people were killed then in the Reign of Terror. Maybe Shay could be Grand Master of the Irish Templars since he'd be in his old age.

wvstolzing
11-16-2014, 05:38 PM
More knowledgeable people will correct me on this (I don't claim to be an expert), but porting software nowadays isn't that big of a technical challenge: They aren't writing these in *machine language*, so that porting to a new architecture would require translating absolutely everything.

Almost all the work (except for GPU-specific tweaks and features) is done at so-called 'high-level languages'; these are called 'high level' due to their working at a level of abstraction removed considerably from the 'hardware level'. Until the 70s, a 'computer programmer' was a 'systems engineer', in that he/she had to have mastered the workings of the specific electronics of the devices on which they were working ---- obviously and extremely inefficient way of deploying one's talents. Since then, 'portable' languages and collections of shared functions ('libraries') have developed: The programmer works with those, then a compiler-linker program translates the programmer's language into machine code.

When 'home computing' really took off in the early 80s, 'machine coding' came back, because there existed no efficient shared languages and compilers for those systems; so a Commodore 64 games programmer had to know something about how the graphics chip of the device instructs a CRT monitor to scan lines, in order to draw things on screen. An Amiga game couldn't be ported into the Commodore 64 by 'recompiling', but by absolutely translating every single aspect of the program by hand.

Now, there are shared tools, engines, libraries, etc. for everything; 'porting' still takes a huge deal of testing and manual tweaking, turning things on and off, but it's nothing like how it was in days of old. Whether or not ubisoft will be releasing ACRo on current gen, ***or on Linux for that matter*** is almost exclusively an economic decision, and I'm certain the marketing, sales, whatever people have the say on this matter.

Charles_Phipps
11-16-2014, 08:47 PM
One reason I want Assassin's Creed: Rogue to be on Xbox One is because that means the story can continue without being a grand finale to the previous generation.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue: Even More Roguery.