PDA

View Full Version : Dark instant kill taking over again

Quijenoth
11-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Many people complained about the game back before BS2 that the only way to play was with instant kill spells and speed.

after BS2 the game changed to more varied deck styles, new rules added more flavour to certain factions like the stackables and all was fun again.

Now with the latest set speed and dark using heroes are taking over.

Cheap Death x4, Alone in the Dark x4, and Soulreaver x4 are now seen in almost every Dark spell using deck.

Hakeem, Kal-Azaar, Ignatius, Kiril, Seria, Mother Namtaru, Ariana, Sveltana, and Noboru are the heroes I see in 90% of the games I play. Making it very difficult for Stronghold and Haven to get any form of board control.

Mother Namtaru was obviously a particularly hard deck to face with her ability but that has been alleviated a little.

Kiril also provides problems with cheap deploy ability and Bound Sucubus.

Now I could end my post with reasons for my recent losing streak from the latest update but instead lets think of a way to fix this without drastic measures like last time (I'm referring to BS2 and Standard.)

I think Haven and Stronghold need ways to lock down dark spells.

Blanket protection from dark spells like how Water Flows Freely protects other water spells is needed.

How about stackable protection spells that lose a stack when they negate a spell from a specific school? Counterspell and Spell Block would be awesome if stackable.

Give Haven the ability to turn the death of a creature into damage to your hero instead - since they have the ability to heal their hero its a viable tactic that other factions might not appreciate.

Some form of sacrifice for stronghold that when their creatures are killed by dark spells they destroy one of their opponents at the same time.

Quicker ways to deploy buildings since they have a few that protect from spells or make them untargetable.
examples:
- Creature can deploy building from your deck, GY, or hand for free,
- Card deploys copy of building to all friendly adjacent squares
- Hero deploys building for free from deck as ability.

For the record I think the permanent buildings theme is a little unhelpful. I preferred buildings that where destroyed when the creature on them died. Right now Necro graveyard can lockdown 1 line completely vs certain decks unless they use targetable cards (this is the sort of situation that makes people consider the idea of adding in side decks to the game)

Whatever method you consider it needs to happen soon. preferably the next set.

PS I think bound succubus is a great card but her ability needs some adjustment. she should do only 1 damage to enemy when she doesn't attack but does 1 damage when first played. in addition her HPs should be 3 and her attack 4 or 5 to make her more vulnerable and less likely to be used to hop around the battlefield just to do her direct damage.

Quijenoth
11-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Some ideas for cards based on the OP.

Academy building: "<name>" :while a wizard is at this building it gains cannot attack and is untargetable. whenever you play a spell that is stackable increase its stack size by 1.
Academy creature : "<name>" :wizard Prime human, Phased. this creature increases the stack size of spells you play that are stackable by 1.
Spell: "reflection": Prime, stackable. if one of your creatures is the target of a dark spell choose an enemy creature for that spell to affect and reduce this cards stack by 1.
Spell: "spell bound": Prime, enchant creature. Permanent Whenever enchanted creatures controller plays an instant spell deal damage to that creatures hero equal to the cost of the spell.
Haven Building: "<name>": Dark spells cost 1 more to play while a creature is at this building, Dark spells cost 2 more to play while a light creature is at this building.
Haven Fortune: "<name>": Ongoing, Light creatures take 5 damage from dark spells instead of being instantly killed.
Haven Creature: "<name>" (cheap cost, low or no attack, high HPs) Angel, Light If a dark spell is played it must target this creature if able. if this creature is killed by a dark spell shuffle it into your deck instead and draw a card.
Haven Creature"<name>" Human, Light, When a dark spell is played heal one damage from your hero.
Haven, Creature "<name>": Angel, Light stackable. Counters may not be placed on this creature. when a stack is removed from this creature, remove all counters on another target creature.
Spell "<name>" Light: stackable, at the beginning of your turn remove 1 counter from a friendly target creature.

D10is13
11-16-2014, 01:48 AM
I have not encountered this at all. I'm getting the exact opposite. Untargetted kill all spells constantly. Insect swarm and Arkath Wrath are ******ed over powered. Most of these creatures are paired with ice, so you also have the geysers, frozen wave, and ice meteors. Its pointless to even use creatures anymore.

Starwatcher1625
11-16-2014, 06:40 AM
Eh, IN Champ III at least Fire and Prime tend to be more dominant; Arkath's Wrath and Timejump.

banduan
11-16-2014, 11:36 AM
Sorry dude, I know you went to a lot of effort typing all that out but saying Stronghold needs a way to handle Dark magic shows a lack of game knowledge here. Maybe study some of the R2P finals matches? Kalazar was dominant but the most played Necro hero has no Dark school.

Quijenoth
11-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Sorry dude, I know you went to a lot of effort typing all that out but saying Stronghold needs a way to handle Dark magic shows a lack of game knowledge here. Maybe study some of the R2P finals matches? Kalazar was dominant but the most played Necro hero has no Dark school.

I watched the finals while writing my post.

My target was to help haven but Stronghold also lacks dark so figured giving them some way to counter what they dont have access too might be a viable option instead of lashing out with the nerf bat or resetting again.

Your right Wrath and other mass clears along with Time jump are powerful but they generally take time to get into play.

What I'm looking at is the rush decks (which i agree stronghold is at least partially good at) that get more and more control the more cheap isntant kills that come into play/

The theme I'm seeing is instant kills opening early game lanes creating rushes for 2 or 3 atk creatures. Those heroes that can get high atk down early result in wins that cant be stopped before turn 6.

Again its not so severe that its the ONLY decks I'm facing but if they release more instant kills in future expansions it soon will be.

D10is13
11-17-2014, 02:28 AM
spell spam decks are the ONLY thing I'm seeing. Nobody uses creatures anymore. It's very common to see someone at 1/6/1 at the 5th turn of the game. You just can't beat them. Your only option is to happen to draw 4 counterspells in the first couple turns.

Gdinut
11-17-2014, 04:22 PM
spell spam decks are the ONLY thing I'm seeing. Nobody uses creatures anymore. It's very common to see someone at 1/6/1 at the 5th turn of the game. You just can't beat them. Your only option is to happen to draw 4 counterspells in the first couple turns.
this is true, which is why ive gone to play Open and will probably do that for a few weeks, over there there is still a mixed up meta and spell spam decks are not common...
the current standard is 100% spell dependent and at least 50% of your games will be against inferno.