PDA

View Full Version : Don't waste your money on this unfinished trash

nicksilletti
11-14-2014, 06:06 AM
As a person who was massively disappointed with Assassin's Creed III, I was optimistic that Ubisoft had rebounded from that particular blunder when they released the rather enjoyable Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

I was wrong.

(Light spoilers ahead) I scarcely even know where to begin. Deplorable framerate, game breaking glitches, and microtransactions are but a few of my issues with this installment. In Assassin's Creed Unity, you play as Arno, a young frenchman who's father is murdered early on in the game. This is only my impression of him, but he feels exactly like a less funny, more frustrating version of Ezio. He even appears to have his own cliche tragic love interest. The only real difference being, I actually liked Ezio. The plot of this game has been forgettable so far, though I'm only 4-5 hours in, so I'm still holding hope that maybe it will improve. The game has it's traditional historical figures, but they feel more shoehorned into the plot than anything.

Let us move onto the glitches. I had no idea that the streets of Paris were so unstable, as I've watched Arno fall through them countless times. While I don't consider this to be a bug, I've also witnessed him completely miss the side of a building that I was clearly aiming for, and plummet to his death. On the other hand, he seems to stick to other structures from time to time, which is so nice when I'm trying to flee through the crowded streets. And before some of you break your keyboards trying to ask what hardware I am running, I am well above the recommended specifications to run this game. Combined with an average of twenty frames per second, and ridiculous load times, it makes for a rather unenjoyable experience.

Combat. Why screw with a perfectly good thing, Ubisoft. I understand that you wanted to make combat in Unity more challenging, but was it really necessary to gut every mechanic that made it run so perfectly? Combat in Assassin's Creed has always felt so flawless and smooth, but now I feel as though I'm playing an arcade version of Tekken whenever a sword fight breaks out. The parrying system is a complete joke, and killing animations will trigger when the enemy is several feet away from Arno.

There is good news, however. While Ubisoft might have been less focused on selling you a game that is finished, they did not forget to advertise their DLC right there in the pause menu! And it gets even better! If trying to muddle your way through awful controls and horrible combat is just too darn challenging, you can pay actual currency for a 'time saver pack', a quick, easy way to do things that should be possible without accessing your bank account. I would be lying if I said that I have not considered buying one, just to dull the pain of horrible sneak mechanics and clunky combat.

I thought I learned a hard lesson about buying game at release more than two years ago, but Assassin's Creed Unity serves as a reminder that video game developers are not above misleading, and even blatantly lying about their upcoming releases. The footage shown in pre-release advertising, and what I see on screen when I play are not even close to being the same.

To it's credit, Assassin's Creed Unity has a beautiful setting in Paris when I'm able to view it at a proper frame rate. The voice acting is also quite well done, even if the characters do sound more English than French. Immoral business practices aside, I believe that Assassin's Creed Unity still has potential to be a solid game, if Ubisoft ever decides to finish making it.

USAdystopia
11-14-2014, 06:32 AM
Perhaps the game will work better for you when you purchase the proper components and thoughtfully combine them...properly.

doughy12
11-14-2014, 06:49 AM
@nicksilletti don't listen to this clown.

Perhaps the game will work better for you when you purchase the proper components and thoughtfully combine them...properly.

At first I thought you might be a legitimate replier, but you're clearly nothing but a company shill with copy and paste replies. You posted about graphical issues when neither myself or this topic creator mentioned anything about problems with graphics and frame rates, we both brought up dismantled mechanics and sloppy programming.

druidsaint
11-14-2014, 07:14 AM
no point posting this on this forum.

new players unaware of the technical issue will still be skinned. when they find out it is already too late.

Leo_2301
11-14-2014, 12:15 PM
After Unity, I won't pre-order any game, especially from this developer.

nicksilletti
11-14-2014, 05:31 PM

My components run together flawlessly. Unity is the only game I have any issues with currently.

Please go and shill yourself elsewhere.

USAdystopia
11-14-2014, 06:05 PM
@nick...and doughy...this computer stuff is not for everyone...maybe as beginners you both would be happier on consoles. Heard there is a sale on Legos.

MentalHegemony
11-14-2014, 06:26 PM
After Unity, I won't pre-order any game, especially from this developer.

I'd go even further. I wonder how difficult it would be to file a class action lawsuit against IBSoft. I mean seriously, unless you are General Motors, how can you get away with releasing a product for big bucks when you know it's broken at the time of sale? It took me less than 2 hours of play to realize this was going to be a very bad experience. Don't believe for a seond, UbiSoft didn't know that as well, but pushed it out, anyway. That is illegal and we should send a warning to the likes of Bethesda, UbiSoft and other software companies who knowingly employ this practice. If it's broke, don't sell it.

Hell, I'm still cranky over the Black Flag issue where I lost 90% game completion with a bad cloud save. All that extra preorder content, down the drain because I was not replaying that garbage to unlock it all.

Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, go bleep yourself.

I was so pleased to hear that Ubi Stock tumbled 8.3% overnight. Feel the burn.