PDA

View Full Version : Is Unity The Worst AC Game of ALL TIME?!

STDlyMcStudpants
11-14-2014, 03:24 AM
Maybe. For those curious... Here are the current standings of the AC console games - critics (Average) and gamers/trolls (average)
Best to worst

Critics list:
1. Assassin's Creed II
2. Brotherhood
3. Assassin's Creed IV
4. Assassin's Creed III
5. Freedom Cry
6. Assassin's Creed
7. Revelations
8. Rogue
9. Unity
10. Liberation

Gamers/Troll List
1. Assassin's Creed II
2. Brotherhood
3. Assassin's Creed IV
4. Assassin's Creed
5. Rogue
6. Revelations
7. Assassin's Creed III
8. Freedom Cry
9. Liberation
10. Unity

Liberation and Unity at a bit of a tug of war for the title right now.... also 10 AC standalones now?! crazy

Pr0metheus 1962
11-14-2014, 03:58 AM
Unity will be just barely okay, if it gets a decent patch. If it doesn't, then yeah, it'll be in the running for worst AC game ever, and not just for the bugs - this game has "safety" written all over it. They didn't want to make anything different, so they just put a whole lot of samey-samey missions in it.

You go here, you kill lots of guards, then kill your target - that sums up 99% of Unity's missions. There are no minigames, there's no equivalent of Leonardo to help you, there are no NPC helpers that you pay to be on your side like in earlier games, no carrier pigeon missions, no enemy strongholds to take over and make parts of the city into Assassin districts, there are no songs, there's no music, no collectables worth collecting, etc., etc., etc. It's just all the same. Heck, they couldn't even be bothered to put any historical context in any of the story missions. Lame!

But at least they got rid of the stupid timed chase missions and the boring tailing missions.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-14-2014, 04:03 AM
Unity will be okay, if it gets a decent patch. If it doesn't, then yeah, it'll be in the running for worst AC game ever, and not just for the bugs - this game has "safety" written all over it. They didn't want to make anything different, so they just put a whole lot of samey-samey missions in it.

You go here, you kill lots of guards, then kill your target - that sums up 99% of Unity's missions. There are no minigames, there's no equivalent of Leonardo to help you, there are no NPC helpers that you pay to be on your side like in earlier games, no carrier pigeon missions, no enemy strongholds to take over and make Assassin strongholds, there are no songs, there's no music, no collectables worth collecting, etc., etc., etc. It's just all the same. Heck, they couldn't even be bothered to put any historical context in any of the story missions. Lame!

But at least they got rid of the stupid timed chase missions.

sounds like AC1 with none of the magic

nathansames
11-14-2014, 04:22 AM
No way, this game is awesome. it's def got it's many flaws but none are big enough to push me away. I'm not a fan boy or anything i just am really enjoying this game, it's miles better than 3 and black flag imo.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-14-2014, 04:27 AM
sounds like AC1 with none of the magic

AC1 had heaps of historical context in the story missions. It told you every step of the way what was happening in the world around you. You could also gain helpers throughout each city that would hold up guards for you. The game was simple, but interesting. This one is complex but boring.

PTarFish
11-14-2014, 04:35 AM
All of the ezio games were better then this one.
Unity is better the 3 and I didn't play black flag but not gonna lie, Unity is pretty boring. I feel like I am doing the same thing over and over again.
overall I give it a 6.5/10.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-14-2014, 04:45 AM
Laughing at the people that find it boring, they suck too much to get entertained haha good riddance breh

You really are in some kind of fantasy world, kid.

D.I.D.
11-14-2014, 04:49 AM
Been playing on PC since Wednesday night. I'm progressing very slowly through it because I keep getting dragged into side missions of different types, so I'm seeing quite a lot of variety. So far, I'm really enjoying myself. I think this might end up being my favourite AC.

I'm finding myself hopping into neighbouring buildings to silence the guards there, because they're looking out of their hideout windows and starting to spot me, and I don't want the target to hear them and run. That's never happened before in any AC game. We've got combat that leads to emerging tactics, because the enemies actually want to kill you, so I'm getting into using dodge to pull them into a line to make them easier to kill and to make it harder for me to get shot. The AI is still daft as a brush with regard to line of sight and things like that, and they feel pretty much the same way that AC guards have always been, but they're responsive enough to be fun.

The script is very nicely done so far, as is the acting and direction. The models in the cutscenes are the best I've seen in any game. The database entries are much better than in recent ACs, the modern day is at an absolute minimum, and it keeps throwing nice surprises at me. The weakest mission type is probably the murder cases, but I even get invested in those. I was worrying that they were going to be like the ones in Arkham Origins, but they're better than that. I love it that they're led by Vidocq, since he's pretty much the father of modern detective investigations.

There's a list as long as my arm of what's wrong with the game, and I hardly need to go over the factors again, but I think it says a lot that despite all of those things, I still want to play. I hope Ubisoft holds off production on the next AC and keeps the teams working on fixing this one, because I think the game deserves it. It needs a bit more polish, and I'm hoping they'll finish the stealth system so that it actually works.

There is no way that you can say this is the worst game in a series that includes Revelations. I've had more fun playing this so far that I had in the entirety of Revelations and ACIII, which is to say I've had more fun than no fun. I tried replaying both of those and had to give up, because they were the opposite of fun; just about bearable once due to thinking, "This will get good in a minute, I'm sure of it", but intolerable when you know it never happened.

Steelray25
11-14-2014, 04:49 AM
No. Not the worst. The confusion over some aspects early on and bugs make it seem worse. When it's all said and done (and the bugs are fixed as well as some other issues) it'll go down as a solid AC.

But it still ranks behind Black Flag and the Ezio Trilogy.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-14-2014, 04:56 AM
It ranks behind black flag if you like sailing around in a ship more. Unity is actually about, well, Assassinating

Yeah, and that's about ALL it's about. Oh yeah, and it's about trying to hide and instead running out in front of guards, because the game's stealth system sucks so badly.

Bahjabroni
11-14-2014, 04:57 AM
Unity feels to me like another ACII. From the way Arno is introduced etc is very reminiscent of Ezio. I also think the changes they've made from customization to combat have improved the overall experience. Another similarity in how ACII improved on the dull repetition of ACI as well as other aspects. I think the world in Unity is easily the best that they've created so far. I've been to Paris and visited many of the sites that you can visit in game and its awesome how well they've created those. I'm a PC player, so at the moment I'm taking a break because the bugs are really getting to me, but I've enjoyed what I've played so far. I like Arno as a character and I'm looking forward to playing it more once it gets patched. Ubi has made Watch Dogs a lot more stable since its launch, so Im confident Unity will get to that point as well, hopefully sooner rather than later. My favorites as of now are ACIV and the entire Ezio Trilogy bar the tower defense bit in Revelations.

I definitely cannot call it the worst. It's been the worst launch, but there's obviously a really cool game here once its fixed/fully functional. I've also not finished Unity, so my opinion is not fully formed.

I have said it from the day I finished it that ACIII is the worst of the series. Although I also liked the setting of it and I thought Haytham was an awesome character, Connor sucked and the end of the Desmond story arc was completely stupid. ACI being the first game I can almost give a pass to, so I cant really count it in this. I'm looking more at the more fully realized games.

D.I.D.
11-14-2014, 04:57 AM
It ranks behind black flag if you like sailing around in a ship more. Unity is actually about, well, Assassinating

Black Flag and Freedom Cry wasn't just sailing. They also had many great missions, which was the advantage of the islands' countryside. Outside of the big towns, the designers could place cover and buildings (or caves, etc) exactly where they wanted them to be, and we got the best gameplay of the series as a result (not including Unity, as I'm not very far into it yet and it may well beat/match BF on that score by the end).

Steelray25
11-14-2014, 05:01 AM

So was Black Flag. It just was far more engaging, smoother, and FUN (remember fun?)

Anyone dismissing BF as a sailing game played the wrong game.

Bahjabroni
11-14-2014, 05:02 AM
Black Flag and Freedom Cry wasn't just sailing. They also had many great missions, which was the advantage of the islands' countryside. Outside of the big towns, the designers could place cover and buildings (or caves, etc) exactly where they wanted them to be, and we got the best gameplay of the series as a result (not including Unity, as I'm not very far into it yet and it may well beat/match BF on that score by the end).

I found Freedom Cry boring. I liked the history they were trying to convey, but I found a lot of it a bit flimsy. I don't think Adewale was a fully realized character as an assassin either. I kind of give it a pass since its essentially an expansion pack to 4 despite it also being released as a standalone experience. Black Flag is an exceptional game though. Its pretty brilliant and the variety of gameplay is outstanding.

Minsooky
11-14-2014, 05:17 AM
It's not the worst by a long shot. In fact I think it's very good. Glitches are easily worse than the ones I ran into while playing AC3 but otherwise there's hardly anything I dislike about it. I actually have to put some thought into my strategy before assassinating people now.

D.I.D.
11-14-2014, 05:21 AM
Haha buddy, are you sure the stealth system sucks or do you just suck? I've beaten coop missions without getting detected. Get better, and then give a legit critique on the game besides your shallow skill. :P and upgrade your gear to give more stealth. Derp.

Come on, now. You don't have to pretend every part of Unity is good, and saying the stealth system is problem-free is absurd.

Watch Dogs has a similar stealth system. It works. You can crouch, press your body up against one surface on an object, and then you've got the choice of disengaging, swapping to different cover, or turning around the corner of the same object you're on while still crouched.

Unity makes you disengage, stand up, crouch down and reattach again just to go from one object plane to the object plane around the next corner. It is garbage. The reason you haven't been detected isn't because you're the king of stealth, either. It's because Unity's AI can be looking right at you from three feet away and not see you, and because the co-op mission guard points are set up to allow you to get by undetected.

WraithWalker93
11-14-2014, 05:26 AM
Yes, yes it is. How can you go from ACIV: Black Flag (which is considered the 2nd best by many people, with ACII coming 1st) from the mess that is Unity? It just doesn't make sence. The story is uninteresting, there's no freakin' progression and you basicly question everything you're doing "why am I doing this? And what for?"

How the hell did Ubisoft screw this up? This was supposed to be revolutionary (pardon the pun) for us, it was supposed to be THE next gen game we have been waiting for. What the hell happened ubisoft? :/ The only good thing about Unity is the Co-op, and the season pass with arno's story continuing and Shao Jun's game.

I can tell you now, Assassin's Creed 2015 WILL be THE next gen game we have been waiting for, not this disgrace of a game Unity. Unity was basicly a "test drive" for us "sigh" :/

Sesheenku
11-14-2014, 05:28 AM
Haha buddy, are you sure the stealth system sucks or do you just suck? I've beaten coop missions without getting detected. Get better, and then give a legit critique on the game besides your shallow skill. :P and upgrade your gear to give more stealth. Derp.

>People have legitimate complaints

>I don't have problems you must just suck!

Do you always make yourself out to look like an unintelligent fool in public or is Ubisoft doing you some kind of "special" favor?

Your arguments are not only dishonest but your ignorance, hand waving, and pathetic defending of crap business practices show you have a complete lack of logic and sense.

Every post of yours is just hand waving arguments away.

Quite frankly if all you're going to do is offer excuses for Ubisoft you probably shouldn't post at all. They're not going to love you because you love them.

tystick47
11-14-2014, 05:36 AM
only reason horrible is its glitchier then 2 and that was bad.. I cant even connect to co op any more so quit defending it they need to fix a lot.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-14-2014, 05:45 AM
So technically speaking, as of right now, we can say it deserves it's placement scraping the bottom with Liberation?
I didn't really hear all too many complaints in terms of bugs until the game was actually released.
During the embargo time I heard nothing of these massive frame dips
The overall experience as a fan is where things can get tricky.
I'm reviewing both Rogue and Unity.
I'm playing Rogue first.
Will both be released early Dec, and with all of this feedback, I wont have hype leaving me with a sour taste as I'll be going in with very low expectations Especially with the game doing worse than the original in score terms.
It's possible to love the experience but hate the journey, right? :D

Sesheenku
11-14-2014, 05:56 AM
Haha they're "legitimate complaints" that simply just aren't true pal

Please tell me you aren't this dim. This is 12 year old logic.

>They're not legitimate complaints cause I say so!

Pathetic argument.

http://i.imgur.com/hbNJ6C0.png

Its because you don't like the game

Just because you like the game doesn't invalidate the criticism.

Double standards much?

Christ.

I'm not offering any excuses for the company. I dont care about their friggin business practices.

Okay, so you don't care when they give you a technically broken mess. Congratulations, other people do. If you don't care about other peoples opinions why in the eff should anybody give yours a passing glance?

I'm just trying to get your head straight, you're blind to a great game.

That's 100% subjective first off. You know what subjective means right? Surely I don't have to define it for you.

Second off I was never talking about the quality of the concept, setting, or the ideas, only how their execution is crap and it's inexcusable. It may not be bad in the sense that the game elements are bad but it is bad in the sense it has performance issues, crashes, glitches and a variety of other crap.

And you come outta nowhere thinking youre certain, its kinda sad.

I am certain that they utterly butchered this, the evidence is everywhere. I suggest you don't try to debate aggressively with me, you've already shown you can't handle me.

Why don't you go watch some anime Lol

Lol what is that, a 5th grade insult from the early 90's? Christ.

Let me save you some time, your balls haven't dropped if you're trying to make fun of people for things they like.

TacoOoMonster
11-14-2014, 06:02 AM
My favorite AC to date. Although the story is a bit convoluted, could have been told much better. Game was also released too soon, too many bugs. And I have a few issues with the game which I hope Ubisoft will address next time around:

1. Get rid of uninteresting side quests, bring back assassination contracts!
2. Let assassins eject from walls left and right and grab on to things, like in ACII. Not sure why they took this out.
3. More "black box" co-op and single player assassinations. Infiltrating Notre Dame and the Palace at the end were my favorite parts of the game.
4. Bring back something like feathers or Almanac pages.
5. No more "AC initiates" chests. Was very frustrated I can't get Connor's and Ezio's robes yet.
6. Like in ACIII, have naval missions, but make them side quests, not a way to get around like ACIV.

Then you will have a perfect AC game!

Sesheenku
11-14-2014, 06:23 AM
Tldr get out anime freak haha

Sorry bro, I can't be trolled by beginners.

Concession accepted though.

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 06:33 AM
Just ignore it, Sesh...

It isn't worth it.

Sesheenku
11-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Just ignore it, Sesh...

Don't sweat it, concession accepted is how I end it.

Razrback16
11-14-2014, 06:38 AM
@ OP

Pretty close I'd say. I'm in sequence 5 of Unity currently but as of now I'd rank the games like this -

AC2 / ACB / ACR (I look at these as basically one big game)
AC4
AC3
AC1
AC Unity

Unity's combat system just ruins it for me. Too flawed. Removed human shields making it very difficult to not get shot, especially with the way the camera zooms in on the player so closely even when he's engaged with 4-5 enemies.

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 06:38 AM
Don't sweat it, concession accepted is how I end it.

Oh, good. :)

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 06:41 AM
Unity's combat system just ruins it for me. Too flawed. Removed human shields making it very difficult to not get shot, especially with the way the camera zooms in on the player so closely even when he's engaged with 4-5 enemies.

That was a great feature in AC3 & 4.

You'd think that would help Arno in the threats he faces too. :rolleyes:

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 07:03 AM
Every criticized games bring in their own dedicated fanboys, don't they? remember the defenders that appeared in wake of the AC3 debacle? haha

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2014, 07:21 AM
You go here, you kill lots of guards, then kill your target - that sums up 99% of Unity's missions. There are no minigames, there's no equivalent of Leonardo to help you, there are no NPC helpers that you pay to be on your side like in earlier games, no carrier pigeon missions, no enemy strongholds to take over and make parts of the city into Assassin districts, there are no songs, there's no music, no collectables worth collecting, etc., etc., etc. It's just all the same. Heck, they couldn't even be bothered to put any historical context in any of the story missions. Lame!

But at least they got rid of the stupid timed chase missions and the boring tailing missions.

But by removing all that... it makes it not... the... same.

And there are "assassination/carrier pigeon" missions in the way of the Club Missions. The Council sends you on missions to dispatch someone. Same principle really.

Jackdaw951
11-14-2014, 11:04 AM
I never would have preordered Unity by itself. I never buy games without real-world feedback after release (and boy, has Unity gotten a lot of that, and not the good kind). But I've been looking for a way to jump into the current generation of consoles lately, and the $350 Xbox One bundle with Unity and Black Flag was too compelling to miss. In case my name here isn't enough of a clue, Black Flag is my favorite AC, and I was wanting the new-gen version pretty badly. (That didn't disappoint. Stable frame rate and a lot of visual goodies missing on the X360 version make it a joy to replay once more.) Unity looked awesome from the advance press too. I ordered the bundle in late October, and got in November 2nd. Unity downloaded and was tagged as "locked" and "preordered".

I must say that I have not had a lot of issues yet. Then again, I'm not far along into the story. I'm spending most of my time exploring and developing the theater. The only serious issue so far was the inside of a big church where I had to clamber around walls and chandeliers to find an entrance. The action kept freezing momentarily, feeling more like Windows hitching when it runs out of real RAM than an outright frame drop.

I'm enjoying the setting very much. Paris is terrific to explore. The world is so well realized, and some of the new mechanics like running down, are quite welcome,. So do I think it's the worst AC in the series? Doubtful. I never could get into Revelations, so that gets my vote at the moment. I never did try 3 or Liberation, so I can't say if these are worse or not. If they fix the bugs, I think Unity might belong at least in the middle of the pack. If not, well, yeah--it deserves the backlash from fans and from the press. I'm still very glad I got such a deal on the hardware and 2 recent AC games together.

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Well going by youtube videos and reaction of other players it seems like (completely aside the technical faults), Unity seems like a great game in theory, everything we want in AC and stuff but.. it seems like something someone made out of a spreadsheet; mechanical and uninspired; right down to the story. It's like someone said: guys! Lets have a French Revolution AC! What should be the story? Oh right, a love story! The protag? A tormented young man yes! and so forth. It seems like designed by ticking points off a checklist. The Kotaku review pointed at it; Shobit in previous page said something similar. And I feared the same before the game launched.

But ofcourse all this can change when I actually play it, and I'll not say it's the worst AC yet without buying it. (which I won't until they fix the glitchy mess and see people say it's fixed)

This reminds me so much of the Total War: Rome 2 release: a great game plagued by bad release, ultimately somewhat redeemed by patches yet still leaving a bad taste in mouth.

SixKeys
11-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Y'all must be be trippin'. Aside from the framerate problems and glitches (which yes, are numerous and severe) I'm enjoying the game immensely. I keep getting distracted by side missions which is exactly what I want from an AC game, and those side missions are awesome. I love the murder mysteries and random crowd events. I love that for once I'm not the only person in the world that immediately comes under suspicion simply for running. Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the factions quarrel against each other or the police to apprehend some thugs without my involvement. I keep marveling at the sheer amount of individual NPC animations. Co-op is kind of hit and miss, I've played some matches with randoms so far and just like in Wolfpack, they're determined to just rush everywhere with no regard for teamwork. But I played a few missions with with Fatal-Feit last night and had a good time.

I'll reserve judgement on how high it ranks on my personal list until I've finished the story, but technical problems aside, this game is one of the best.

shobhit7777777
11-14-2014, 11:44 AM
Nope

That honor belongs to AC3

BK-110
11-14-2014, 11:48 AM
I haven't yet played all the way through Unity, but until now, it seems like one of the better AC games to me. I will never understand the people who see the Ezio trilogy as the pinnacle of the franchise. The missions were utterly linear, the combat was broken and the story lacket all semblance of nuance. In my opinion, Unity does all these things better. Especially the combat, which for once actually has some difficulty, and the mission structure with its open-endedness.

Mr_Shade
11-14-2014, 12:02 PM
You guys with lots of glitches personally, have you installed the Day One update?

I know many may be looking at the different sites highlighting glitches etc and forming opinions from them - however many glitches are fixed in the Title Update, so just making sure those who have lots of issues, personally have the Update installed ;)

If you are are connected to online - it 'should' update automatically,

xbl_xtro1
11-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Except for the story (outside the animus) which has lost all the edgy smart aspects of AC1/2 I would say unity is the BEST assassin's creed ever made. However ubisoft needs to fix that framerate because the game mechanics are awesome and all missions (main and secondary) are fun to play so far and offer really various ways to complete them.

Fatal-Feit
11-14-2014, 12:13 PM
How can an Assassin's Creed that triumphs its predecessors in literally almost all aspects be the worse? The question should be ''Is Unity the BEST AC game?'', which it is.

SquareToShoot
11-14-2014, 12:22 PM
Am I playing a different game? Because from what I've played so far it's one of the best...

Sushiglutton
11-14-2014, 12:33 PM
It's kind of confusing because a lot of people are angry and they feel connected to eachother in their criticism. But when you read the actual criticism it's all over the place (except for the bugs ofc, noone wants bugs). Some things that are being criticized have been requested by fans, so I feel, in all fairness, I have to defend Ubi a bit here :)!

Unity will be just barely okay, if it gets a decent patch. If it doesn't, then yeah, it'll be in the running for worst AC game ever, and not just for the bugs - this game has "safety" written all over it. They didn't want to make anything different, so they just put a whole lot of samey-samey missions in it. You go here, you kill lots of guards, then kill your target - that sums up 99% of Unity's missions. There are no minigames, there's no equivalent of Leonardo to help you, there are no NPC helpers that you pay to be on your side like in earlier games (...)

"Safety" can also be interpreted as "back to the roots". This is something many fans have requested. I personally loved naval and the frontier/wildlife in AC3/AC4, but there has been substantial criticism for deviating from the core. And I also criticized heavily the reliance on mini-mechanics in AC3. AC3 had the most varied missions of any AC game, but it didn't work out.
Infiltration is the mission type AC has done best. Perhaps there's not enough variety to these infiltrations in Unity (I wouldn't know), but a focus on this kind of mission is a good thing in my book.

Perhaps Ubi has listened too much to their core fans, but I'm not gonna point fingers at them for that. I think it's admirable that they are paying attention to their fans!

(...) no carrier pigeon missions, no enemy strongholds to take over and make parts of the city into Assassin districts, there are no songs, there's no music, no collectables worth collecting, etc., etc., etc. It's just all the same.

To my understanding there are still assassination missions, only they are "skinned" differently. There's also some way to change the guard distribution in districts (from fanatics to ordinary soldiers). No ambient music is weird. Collectibles have always been junk.

Heck, they couldn't even be bothered to put any historical context in any of the story missions. Lame!

After AC3 Ubi was heavily criticized for putting Connor in all kinds of historical situations (the so called "Gump-factor"). Clearly they have listened to this feedback and instead focused on telling a character driven love story. Historical context has been moved to the sidecontent. Now ofc one can have different opinions on this, but again Ubi has listened.

SquareToShoot
11-14-2014, 12:46 PM
As for all the glitches and frame rate issues, well, I haven't come across any glitches yet. Frame Rate? So far, other than a dip at times when there are tons of npc's on screen I really haven't encountered any big frame rate issues at all. I certainly haven't seen it drop below 20fps even with hundreds of characters on screen.

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Unity will be just barely okay, if it gets a decent patch. If it doesn't, then yeah, it'll be in the running for worst AC game ever, and not just for the bugs - this game has "safety" written all over it. They didn't want to make anything different, so they just put a whole lot of samey-samey missions in it.

SPOILER TAGS, please? You're spoiling by revealing what it DOESN'T have.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-14-2014, 01:04 PM
But by removing all that... it makes it not... the... same.

I think it's that they also removed a lot of the other fun stuff.

And there are "assassination/carrier pigeon" missions in the way of the Club Missions. The Council sends you on missions to dispatch someone. Same principle really.

Same principle, but they cheapened the council missions by doing that. The main storyline (council missions) ought to be a bit more interesting than "go there, kill this guy". It was okay when a pigeon was telling us who to kill :), but the council, giving us a cheap murder mission?

xbl_xtro1
11-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Some people don't take the time to enjoy the missions enough... most of the main chapters have a big assassination in them which are mini sandbox inside the main sandbox. Those are very well done and have a ton of replay value as you can complete them in dozens of different ways. Planning your approach and exit it great and anything can happen. The stealth i think is very well done and the enemy AI is great to fight. I'm glad that they made the fights more challenging and the escape easy as making a mistake doesn't mean game over as before or totally butching the assassination and ending up with a stupid looking scene. You can break the line of sight easily regroup and plan another way and make it all look cool. I also love the addition of murder mysteries which is a fine break from the action and feels like playing a game of clue.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-14-2014, 01:50 PM
SPOILER TAGS, please? You're spoiling by revealing what it DOESN'T have. I'm revealing my opinion of what it doesn't have. It's open to interpretation, and I may be exaggerating for effect. And I haven't finished the game, so I may be wrong.

The_Kiwi_
11-14-2014, 01:57 PM
I wouldn't call it the worst

But it is absolutely clear that Ubisoft tried their hardest to make a very pretty game, but at great expense to the story.
AC needs a delicate balance between gameplay and story, Black Flag did this perfectly, as did AC2, but Unity focused so much on the gameplay, that the story is non-existent.

And have you guys seen the ending?
It gave me a worse feeling than when you find out that "it was all a dream" at the end of a movie.

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Story-wise, I find it equal to ACB.

ACB is my least favorite... :nonchalance:

Journey93
11-14-2014, 02:32 PM
Liberation is probably worse but thats not saying much
I like every other AC more they were just much better sure the graphics were not that fancy but at least the game was playable
the story was awesome (looking especially at the Ezio Saga and ACIV Black Flag), the side characters good, the gameplay had a better flow....etc.

I don't know what happened at Ubi they shouldn't have been so greedy and waited at least another year to release Unity

Journey93
11-14-2014, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't call it the worst

But it is absolutely clear that Ubisoft tried their hardest to make a very pretty game, but at great expense to the story.
AC needs a delicate balance between gameplay and story, Black Flag did this perfectly, as did AC2, but Unity focused so much on the gameplay, that the story is non-existent.

And have you guys seen the ending?
It gave me a worse feeling than when you find out that "it was all a dream" at the end of a movie.

I agree the story in AC games is very important its basically what seperates it from COD which is also released every year
sadly Ubisoft seems to take the COD approach from now on with just random assassinations with no good protagonist or story at all

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 04:06 PM
It's kind of confusing because a lot of people are angry and they feel connected to eachother in their criticism. But when you read the actual criticism it's all over the place (except for the bugs ofc, noone wants bugs). Some things that are being criticized have been requested by fans, so I feel, in all fairness, I have to defend Ubi a bit here :)!

After AC3 Ubi was heavily criticized for putting Connor in all kinds of historical situations (the so called "Gump-factor"). Clearly they have listened to this feedback and instead focused on telling a character driven love story. Historical context has been moved to the sidecontent. Now ofc one can have different opinions on this, but again Ubi has listened.

Problem for Ubi (and inherently, ANY producer of a serialized, mass entertainment product) is that for every person they make happy by adding or removing something, they make another person mad. No way around that.

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm revealing my opinion of what it doesn't have. It's open to interpretation, and I may be exaggerating for effect. And I haven't finished the game, so I may be wrong.

Didn't mean to pick on you specifically, the thread itself should have used a spoiler tag.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Rogue is in my top 3 ATM.

Unity is far down.

It's so BOOOOOOORING.

Aphex_Tim
11-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Y'all must be be trippin'. Aside from the framerate problems and glitches (which yes, are numerous and severe) I'm enjoying the game immensely. I keep getting distracted by side missions which is exactly what I want from an AC game, and those side missions are awesome. I love the murder mysteries and random crowd events. I love that for once I'm not the only person in the world that immediately comes under suspicion simply for running. Sometimes it's fun to just sit back and watch the factions quarrel against each other or the police to apprehend some thugs without my involvement. I keep marveling at the sheer amount of individual NPC animations. Co-op is kind of hit and miss, I've played some matches with randoms so far and just like in Wolfpack, they're determined to just rush everywhere with no regard for teamwork. But I played a few missions with with Fatal-Feit last night and had a good time.

I'll reserve judgement on how high it ranks on my personal list until I've finished the story, but technical problems aside, this game is one of the best.

How can an Assassin's Creed that triumphs its predecessors in literally almost all aspects be the worse? The question should be ''Is Unity the BEST AC game?'', which it is.

And here I was seriously starting to think I was the only one on these forums who actually enjoys the game. Thanks for proving me wrong! We should play co-op some time.

Honestly, I just don't really get it. I personally have experienced little to no bugs or glitches and I've had only one noticable frame drop moment (during a co-op session with three randoms who were tossing smoke bombs around and getting into fights with a dozen guards in a crowded area). Am I just extremely lucky with my copy and PS4 or are people just hugely exaggerating?
Apart from all that, this game looks gorgeous, gameplay feels great; there's so much more freedom; It feels fresh! I'm truly having a blast with it!
My only gripe with it so far are the not so seamless loading screens....

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Same principle, but they cheapened the council missions by doing that. The main storyline (council missions) ought to be a bit more interesting than "go there, kill this guy". It was okay when a pigeon was telling us who to kill :), but the council, giving us a cheap murder mission?

But you get those missions too, in the Clubhouses you renovate along the way. Not the Café. The Clubhouses give you missions, but without the pigeon.

Also, there are collectables, the Cockards or whatever they're called, but they actually have a purpose this time around.

EmptyCrustacean
11-14-2014, 04:45 PM
Unity is a fantastic game destroyed by technical hiccups like the horrible frame rate.

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 04:49 PM
And here I was seriously starting to think I was the only one on these forums who actually enjoys the game. Thanks for proving me wrong! We should play co-op some time.

Honestly, I just don't really get it. I personally have experienced little to no bugs or glitches and I've had only one noticable frame drop moment (during a co-op session with three randoms who were tossing smoke bombs around and getting into fights with a dozen guards in a crowded area). Am I just extremely lucky with my copy and PS4 or are people just hugely exaggerating?
Apart from all that, this game looks gorgeous, gameplay feels great; there's so much more freedom; It feels fresh! I'm truly having a blast with it!
My only gripe with it so far are the not so seamless loading screens....

So on the mission inside the Sainte-Chapelle where you first find out where the Assassins are and you have the timed jumping puzzle across the ceiling, you didn't experience an unplayable framerate? The second I entered the church it started chugging. By the time I was up in the balcony starting the timer, it was horrendous. I'm on PS4.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Unity is a fantastic game destroyed by technical hiccups like the horrible frame rate.

And destroyed by an uninteresting story and lack of variety of characters.

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2014, 05:10 PM

Says the girl who posts memes all the time instead of giving any sort of thought out and meaningful discussion?

I mean, I had to laugh at this, really.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Says the girl who posts memes all the time instead of giving any sort of thought out and meaningful discussion?

I'm getting a fine sense of resentment *sips tea*

And for the record I post reasons when I feel it's not obvious enough.

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm getting a fine sense of resentment *sips tea*

And for the record I post reasons when I feel it's not obvious enough.

I don't resent you. I resent your posting style. You've been known to actually converse and carry on conversation well, but it's few and far between.

I do have hope for you yet though.

As for the latter, that's all subjective. As this is a discussion forum, posting reasons is conducive to that idea.

I mean, you're free to do what you like, but when you won't defend your side because of "obvious reasons" and instead just say "game's destroyed because of story, hahahahahaha" without giving a reason why it doesn't really lend you any credibility.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 05:22 PM
I don't resent you. I resent your posting style. You've been known to actually converse and carry on conversation well, but it's few and far between.

I do have hope for you yet though.

As for the latter, that's all subjective. As this is a discussion forum, posting reasons is conducive to that idea.

I mean, you're free to do what you like, but when you won't defend your side because of "obvious reasons" and instead just say "game's destroyed because of story, hahahahahaha" without giving a reason why it doesn't really lend you any credibility.

Well that's unfortunate you dislike it.

And yes as you said I'm free to express my opinion as I like.

I haven't emphasized on why the story is bad because that would require spoiler tagging and I'm too lazy to do that ATM.

Also I want to beat all the co-op missions that have story elements too first before I make my analysis thread.

And for the record, nobody has to post a 50 page essay why they dislike something. Simply expressing I dislike something is perfectly fine. Not everyone is looking for a 20 page debate when they share their opinions.

"This game sucks" as a standalone comment is perfectly justified.

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2014, 05:24 PM
Well, no, it's not the worst Assassin Creed game of all time because we have all the little tiny games for Facebook or handhelds.

It's pretty bad, though.

The story is uninspiring.
Arno is boring.
The idea of Aristocrat Assassins vs. Revolutionary Templars is so insane I can't wrap my head around it.
The love story chokes one of the most interesting periods of history to death
The history is BAD--which is terrible given how good it's been these past few games.
Huge-huge numbers of glitches
No Modern Day story of note

The French Revolution deserved their A-game and this seems like they were half-assing the story for graphics and gameplay--which weren't finished.

Bigodon
11-14-2014, 05:27 PM
i'm on memory sequence 6
well, it's not good or bad either until now. This means i finish 50% of story and could look bad to having a so so storyline.

my major complaints is with the technical issues

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 05:27 PM
Well, no, it's not the worst Assassin Creed game of all time because we have all the little tiny games for Facebook or handhelds.

It's pretty bad, though.

Arno is boring.
The idea of Aristocrat Assassins vs. Revolutionary Templars is so insane I can't wrap my head around it.
The history is BAD--which is terrible given how good it's been these past few games.

The French Revolution deserved their A-game and this seems like they were half-assing the story for graphics and gameplay--which weren't finished.

Amen, brother.

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2014, 05:29 PM
Well that's unfortunate you dislike it.

And yes as you said I'm free to express my opinion as I like.

I haven't emphasized on why the story is bad because that would require spoiler tagging and I'm too lazy to do that ATM.

Also I want to beat all the co-op missions that have story elements too first before I make my analysis thread.

And for the record, nobody has to post a 50 page essay why they dislike something. Simply expressing I dislike something is perfectly fine. Not everyone is looking for a 20 page debate when they share their opinions.

"This game sucks" as a standalone comment is perfectly justified.

Yes, it's certainly justified. But again don't expect any credibility when you say a "story and characters are bad" when you primarily just post thoughtless and cliché memes to most responses. Do you not see the irony in that?

And I didn't say a 50 page report or even a 20 page essay. You can do it in bullet points. Give reasons as to the why.

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 05:30 PM
It was okay when a pigeon was telling us who to kill :)

People are institutionalized for less... :rolleyes:

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Yes, it's certainly justified. But again don't expect any credibility when you say a "story and characters are bad" when you primarily just post thoughtless and cliché memes to most responses. Do you not see the irony in that?

And I didn't say a 50 page report or even a 20 page essay. You can do it in bullet points. Give reasons as to the why.

I never said I expected credibility. Idc if people take my opinions seriously.

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2014, 05:35 PM
That defeats the purpose of a discussion forum, but by all means, carry on then.

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2014, 05:37 PM

On my end, I think Arno is a bad protagonist because he's really not very engaged with the F. Revolution. Connor is deeply engaged with the Revolution since he Forest Gumps his way through it but he's also a Iroquois who is best friends with a black man. He is VERY involved in the A. Revolution and its hypocrisies. Edward? Edward is a Pirate. Nuff said. He's very involved in the Golden Age of Piracy. Ezio? Ezio is into his personal revenge story but his personal revenge story is against the Borgias. Arno's story really doesn't have anything to do with the F. Revolution. The F. Revolution is a backdrop for his story and that's just tragic.

Arno's story could be adapted to any point in history and it wouldn't change that much. How about Arno is a French nobleman who gets his family killed by the Revolution while he's been supporting it as an Assassin? THAT would be interesting.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 05:39 PM
That defeats the purpose of a discussion forum, but by all means, carry on then.

Not really. I'm free to intake other people's opinions (regardless if 'taken seriously' by others) and casually converse with fellow AC fans. Getting people to agree with my opinion of a game is the least of my priorities.

MnemonicSyntax
11-14-2014, 05:45 PM
On my end, I think Arno is a bad protagonist because he's really not very engaged with the F. Revolution. Connor is deeply engaged with the Revolution since he Forest Gumps his way through it but he's also a Iroquois who is best friends with a black man. He is VERY involved in the A. Revolution and its hypocrisies. Edward? Edward is a Pirate. Nuff said. He's very involved in the Golden Age of Piracy. Ezio? Ezio is into his personal revenge story but his personal revenge story is against the Borgias. Arno's story really doesn't have anything to do with the F. Revolution. The F. Revolution is a backdrop for his story and that's just tragic.

Arno's story could be adapted to any point in history and it wouldn't change that much. How about Arno is a French nobleman who gets his family killed by the Revolution while he's been supporting it as an Assassin? THAT would be interesting.

I know a few of the Co-Op missions deal with Arno's connection to the Revolution, but I haven't made it far enough to know just how connected he is in the main story.

That being said though, I feel like Arno is almost like the fifth Musketeer (yes there were actually four, if anyone didn't know that) but instead he's more like the Lone Musketeer.

Of course, since Unity is going back to it's Assassin/Templar roots, I can see how it doesn't necessary have to tie into the Revolution and instead is just a time showing that the underground, secret war is still going on and "going strong" even in the midst of a revolutionary backdrop.

But so far, your point is valid. I appreciate your post.

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2014, 05:50 PM
I know a few of the Co-Op missions deal with Arno's connection to the Revolution, but I haven't made it far enough to know just how connected he is in the main story.

That being said though, I feel like Arno is almost like the fifth Musketeer (yes there were actually four, if anyone didn't know that) but instead he's more like the Lone Musketeer.

Of course, since Unity is going back to it's Assassin/Templar roots, I can see how it doesn't necessary have to tie into the Revolution and instead is just a time showing that the underground, secret war is still going on and "going strong" even in the midst of a revolutionary backdrop.

But so far, your point is valid. I appreciate your post.

Well don't let me spoil it for you but the Assassins and Templars aren't in the places I expected them to be either. This isn't necessarily bad but you'd think the Assassins would be all over the French Revolution given their entire crede is about overthrowing tyranny. However, the game is ambivalent about the French Revolution's connection to the Assassins and this is a massive wasted opportunity. If there was EVER a time to show "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" going wrong in the pursuit of Republican ideals, the FR was the time to do it.

And they don't.

It feels such a colossal WASTE.

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 06:05 PM

It's pretty bad, though.

Arno is boring.

You...are my new Best Friend. :cool:

And to add, the Templars in this game are a HUUUGGGEEE step back to the Templars we've had in AC1, III, and IV.

That, plus no white room speeches was disappointing as hell.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-14-2014, 06:19 PM
I will never understand the people who see the Ezio trilogy as the pinnacle of the franchise.

Simple: while the story and gameplay may have had its flaws, the Ezio trilogy (well, that is the first two Ezio games) had epic moments and emotional stories that the other games all lack. Just off the top of my head, the very beginning of AC2 - "May it never change us"; the part where you get the Adam and Eve video; the cutscene where Ezio welcomes new members of the Brotherhood in AC: Brotherhood; Cristina's story; using Leonardo's flying machine, the part where Catarina Sforza taunts her children's kidnappers (which happened in real life by the way - how cool is that?,etc.

And Ezio's story was the coming of age of the franchise, and many players will love it best just because it symbolized the series becoming a part of their lives.

RinoTheBouncer
11-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Simple: while the story and gameplay may have had its flaws, the Ezio trilogy (well, that is the first two Ezio games) had epic moments and emotional stories that the other games all lack. Just off the top of my head, the very beginning of AC2 - "May it never change us"; the part where you get the Adam and Eve video; the cutscene where Ezio welcomes new members of the Brotherhood in AC: Brotherhood; Cristina's story; using Leonardo's flying machine, the part where Catarina Sforza taunts her children's kidnappers (which happened in real life by the way - how cool is that?,etc.

And Ezio's story was the coming of age of the franchise, and many players will love it best just because it symbolized the series becoming a part of their lives.

Perfectly said.

Ezio’s trilogy pictured the life of an Assassin from birth to death with the various elements of the general arc that got expanded throughout the 3 games of Ezio’s Trilogy, in addition to what was explained and the new stuff that were injected into the world of AC and it’s mythology. It basically brought a a lot stuff to the franchise. And yes, by the time I finished AC:R, I felt like AC is a part of my life. I’ve been a fan since the very first game, but once I finished AC:R, I felt like the story, the characters, the mythology, the ideas presented in the games have become a brand or a tattoo on my soul that I cannot and will not attempt to remove.

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2014, 06:45 PM
Ezio is a simple, easy to understand, and thoroughly enjoyable epic.

It had human drama at the heart of it.

It had memorable villains.

It was fun and entertaining.

What's more need be said?

D.I.D.
11-14-2014, 06:51 PM

Well... that's very nearly what's happened, in that the turmoil in the rise of the Revolution has left Arno orphaned twice, although I prefer your version and I had expected something along those lines. It would be a lot better to have Arno get deep into making the Revolution happen, and then have it cost him dearly by the time he's in over his head. The story could have flipped completely on that point.

However, NO SPOILERS PLEASE, because I'm only halfway though! Saying that it never shows the story in that way is already a hint more than I would like :)

drmambo1999
11-14-2014, 07:55 PM
I am getting this game later today and I can't wait! I will be able to finally have an opinion on this story. XD That being said, I doubt I will view this as the worst Assassin's Creed. It launched terribly so that definitely goes against it, but after the major bugs are fixed I will likely enjoy this game more than 4. AC4 was great (in my opinion) but Unity takes place in the one place I have been waiting for an Assassin's Creed to since the first game! Honestly, even if the story is lack luster or rather rehashed as some may put it, I have faith I will enjoy it at least. AC3 was my personal least favorite even though it added features that were great. Even then I still loved the game, juts not as much as the others :p In a few hours I will have a relevant opinion on Unity though. XD

RzaRecta357
11-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Hmmm game is fantastic. I mean, there are a few staples missing that we're used to but beyond that it's great. The free running is so much better it's ridiculous once you get the hang of it.

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Much better than free-falling through the earth's crust which is also featured in this game.

drmambo1999
11-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Much better than free-falling through the earth's crust which is also featured in this game.

I remember that happening in the first AC a few times at launch. XD Also the freezing on loading screens. Man I am glad they fixed that in AC1 or I may have never gotten into Assassin's Creed. o.o It would be nice if they took note of Unity for the future though. I can only hope the next AC will have a better launch. Still I am soooo escited to FINALLY play Unity today. can't wait!

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 09:07 PM
I remember that happening in the first AC a few times at launch. XD Also the freezing on loading screens. Man I am glad they fixed that in AC1 or I may have never gotten into Assassin's Creed. o.o It would be nice if they took note of Unity for the future though. I can only hope the next AC will have a better launch. Still I am soooo escited to FINALLY play Unity today. can't wait!

Patch 2 supposedly fixed the holes in the terrain thing.

drmambo1999
11-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Patch 2 supposedly fixed the holes in the terrain thing.

I just saw that. :) I am happy to see their are taking this seriously. It is just too bad they "couldn't" do this before the game launched.

SenseHomunculus
11-14-2014, 09:20 PM
I just saw that. :) I am happy to see their are taking this seriously. It is just too bad they "couldn't" do this before the game launched.

I'm guessing (hoping?) that once the game went to master, the dev teams started working feverishly on all this stuff, they HAD to know the sh!t would hit the fan once it was released. Either that, or they had bugger-all beta and QA testing which I find impossible to believe.

drmambo1999
11-14-2014, 09:23 PM
I'm guessing (hoping?) that once the game went to master, the dev teams started working feverishly on all this stuff, they HAD to know the sh!t would hit the fan once it was released. Either that, or they had bugger-all beta and QA testing which I find impossible to believe.

I am with you there. These issues ESPECIALLY the frame rate and stuttering should have been easy to spot. Perhaps not easy to find the solution but at least spot it.

harsab
11-14-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm so shocked at what some of u are saying. I honestly thought AC Unity was gonna be an disappointment, I got the game today as it released in England today. I'm halfway through the game and it's the best AC I've ever played. Ignoring the frame rate/glitches it's absolutely breathtaking. The cinematics, graphics, story everything is absolutely perfect. Looking back at previous AC's they don't even compare to this. Yes ac 2 was legendary etc... But AC Unity is absolute perfect the new feel is just exactly what I wanted. It feels like a proper AC game. This is miles better then black flag in every possible way.

I honestly think some of you are not AC fans and are just fans of gaming in general.

drmambo1999
11-14-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm so shocked at what some of u are saying. I honestly thought AC Unity was gonna be an disappointment, I got the game today as it released in England today. I'm halfway through the game and it's the best AC I've ever played. Ignoring the frame rate/glitches it's absolutely breathtaking. The cinematics, graphics, story everything is absolutely perfect. Looking back at previous AC's they don't even compare to this. Yes ac 2 was legendary etc... But AC Unity is absolute perfect the new feel is just exactly what I wanted. It feels like a proper AC game. This is miles better then black flag in every possible way.

I honestly think some of you are not AC fans and are just fans of gaming in general.

Quite glad to read this. :D That hour can't go by fast enough! MUST PLAY.

SixKeys
11-14-2014, 10:21 PM

Honestly, all those scenes you mentioned were pretty cliché. I don't get where people are getting this idea that AC2's (and Ezio's overall) story was something amazing and spectacular compared to Arno's. AC2 is about a young man's revenge against the murderers of his family. That's it. He doesn't become an assassin until towards the end of the game. He incredibly conveniently befriends the greatest inventor in all of history and meets pretty much every single important historical figure in Renaissance Italy. The First Civ stuff is missable if you don't do the glyphs, so the Adam and Eve stuff is more like bonus side content than an actual part of the story.

I still love AC2, don't get me wrong, but the story is really not all that special. The characters and gameplay are what elevates the experience above average. The story is about as cliché as you can get. I don't blame people for liking clichés, there's a reason they're popular, after all. But it baffles me that people are saying Unity's story is boring while praising AC2's story. They're honestly not very different.

poptartz20
11-14-2014, 10:29 PM
Thank you Six... *slow clap*

but to go on to answer the OP No I don't think it's the worst AC, but at the same time I haven't finished the story yet. But I must say, they have really out done them selves in many ways. we've got what many of the things that we have wanted but the overall technical execution was poor. I love the dedicated crouch button along with the cover system. It feels like those things should have been there all along. Going inside of buildings has really been expanded since AC3 days. and the missions are varied and I love that each experience is different because the assassinations can be done however you want because it's up to you. so In the way this game probably makes AC3 look like a saint. but I can respect all the hard work the devs have done to make this a really next gen experience. I hope all of these aspects stay in the next game. all except all this micro-trans bs. and must have companion aps and unlock all this BS. I HATE IT. also the consumable health. I hate that too.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Arno's story (from what I've played so far) felt eerily similar to Ezio's TBH.

drmambo1999
11-14-2014, 10:32 PM
Honestly, all those scenes you mentioned were pretty cliché. I don't get where people are getting this idea that AC2's (and Ezio's overall) story was something amazing and spectacular compared to Arno's. AC2 is about a young man's revenge against the murderers of his family. That's it. He doesn't become an assassin until towards the end of the game. He incredibly conveniently befriends the greatest inventor in all of history and meets pretty much every single important historical figure in Renaissance Italy. The First Civ stuff is missable if you don't do the glyphs, so the Adam and Eve stuff is more like bonus side content than an actual part of the story.

I still love AC2, don't get me wrong, but the story is really not all that special. The characters and gameplay are what elevates the experience above average. The story is about as cliché as you can get. I don't blame people for liking clichés, there's a reason they're popular, after all. But it baffles me that people are saying Unity's story is boring while praising AC2's story. They're honestly not very different.

Haven't played ACU yet (its KILLING ME XD) but I do have to agree that I felt AC2 had a very cliche story. AC2 is currently my favorite of the series still because of the setting and game play (though hunting and tree climbing were a welcome feature in AC3) and I enjoyed the story a lot! I just don't think it was all that original like some players make it out to be. That being said, I don't find anything wrong in a predictable story if it still manages to draw you in with, say, charismatic characters, action scenes, or well, just a very well written version of the story we have heard over and over again. I personally like what I have seen from Arno so far. I hope I can say the same later after playing Unity. :)

EDIT: I think the reason it struck players so much in AC2 though is because of how drastically different the story approach was from the first AC. the fact that you got to be there with the character from the beginning stages of his becoming an assassin.

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2014, 10:33 PM

That's WHY I'm deriding the story. It's like someone decided to make an Italian plumber in an orange jumpsuit with a E on his cap and say he's the new and awesome character to the Mario franchise.

Say what you will about Connor, Aveline, Adewale, and Shay but they're all pretty damn different people from Ezio.

Arno feels like Ezio's Luigi.

drmambo1999
11-14-2014, 10:39 PM
That's WHY I'm deriding the story. It's like someone decided to make an Italian plumber in an orange jumpsuit with a E on his cap and say he's the new and awesome character to the Mario franchise.

Say what you will about Connor, Aveline, Adewale, and Shay but they're all pretty damn different people from Ezio.

LOL okay I know that this wasn't a compliment to the game, but some how this makes me even more intrigued by Arno. XD Though my ability to take him seriously has diminished ever so slightly. lol

Charles_Phipps
11-14-2014, 10:50 PM
LOL okay I know that this wasn't a compliment to the game, but some how this makes me even more intrigued by Arno. XD Though my ability to take him seriously has diminished ever so slightly. lol

I have nothing against Frenchzio, really. However, he seems to be a half-dozen Assassins thrown together being Ezio in France with Altair's romance with Maria Thorpe. If he had Edward's Pirate Ship and roguish qualities, I might even be forgiving.

drmambo1999
11-14-2014, 10:52 PM
I have nothing against Frenchzio, really. However, he seems to be a half-dozen Assassins thrown together being Ezio in France with Altair's romance with Maria Thorpe. If he had Edward's Pirate Ship and roguish qualities, I might even be forgiving.

I can see that. I haven't even played yet and I can see the mish mashing that is going on here. Still doesn't bother me all that much, but they perhaps could have tried a bit harder to make him unique.

SixKeys
11-14-2014, 11:09 PM

Keep in mind that Unity's supposed to be something of a reboot for the franchise. They're basically taking elements from every game we've had and trying to show to a new audience the lure of the series. Arno's story is almost like a retelling of Ezio's story for a new audience, with a few notable alterations. Kind of like how movie remakes often take great liberties with their source material.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 11:14 PM
Sixkeys your signature is scaring me.

Aphex_Tim
11-14-2014, 11:28 PM
Yours is scaring me.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 11:30 PM
Yours is scaring me.

Well played.

The_Kiwi_
11-14-2014, 11:42 PM

I agree with her
The story was so bland and annoying
It was like the writers stitched it up from broken pieces of failed stories

As for the characters, well, I only knew of two. Napoleon and King Louis VI.
Whereas Rogue has so many interesting characters from 2 different games pushed together, it's perfection IMO.

The_Kiwi_
11-14-2014, 11:49 PM

I felt the exact same way.
I remember that the game was advertised as being in the heart of the French Revolution, but I didn't even hear a mention of it until Seq 7 or something, and only ever saw it in the background.
It was completely different to what Ubisoft was saying.

Namikaze_17
11-14-2014, 11:56 PM
I remember that the game was advertised as being in the heart of the French Revolution, but I didn't even hear a mention of it until Seq 7 or something, and only ever saw it in the background.

Yeah, I know people complained about Connor being Forrest Grumped in every event, but with Arno, the Revolution doesn't really take a toll on him or anybody for that matter.

At least with Connor, you can tell the AR had its toll on him while Arno just seemed....the same.

dimbismp
11-15-2014, 12:03 AM
Wait,are we talking about the same game?I am in sequence 5 and this is shaping up to take (at least) a top 3 AC spot....I understand that some people are pissed off by the perfomance issues and all this Initiates,Uplay BS,but worst AC ever?Hell,no!
Also,people are angry about the ,supposedly,low quality Arno story and the absence of MD.I may actually agree with them about the first part in a couple of days when i should finsh the game,but AC2 and ACB also have bad stories,but most people love them.(and if you are not concinced,read the posts by _M).As for MD,have you forgotten that 90% of the fanbase was crying about the "stupid Desmond" and the "useless MD"??
Also,just because combat is significantly harder(especially if you don't upgrade),this means it is worse than before?Do you like that Connor,Edward and even Ezio and Altair can kill literally an infinite amount of guards?
Finally,i prefer doing the ACU side missions,instead of beating husbands,skining animals,playing board games and crafring barrels for sale....And,NAVAL IS OVER(FOR AC).AC is not about naval.It was nice,but it cannot become a permanent part of the franchise
What exactly did you not like about the mission design and stealth?I agrre that they are not perfect,but i prefer them than killing my targets with a QTE,or in a cutscene or just having stupid linear asassinations....
Anyway,as i said, i am still not even half through,so i may be wrong....

Off-topic:Someone in this thread mentioned that apart from coop,paris stories etc,there also some "club missions",which are the equivalent of assassination contracts?How many are there and where can i find them?

dimbismp
11-15-2014, 12:05 AM

The devs said a thousand times that the french revolution would be a backdrop

Pr0metheus 1962
11-15-2014, 12:10 AM
Honestly, all those scenes you mentioned were pretty cliché.

It's a computer game, not a Tolstoy novel. Computer games only have one setting, and that's cliché. Besides, clichés are clichés because they work - they get the player invested in the game.

The_Kiwi_
11-15-2014, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I know people complain about Connor being Forrest Grumped in every event, but with Arno, the Revolution doesn't really take a toll on him or anybody for that matter.

At least with Connor, you can tell the AR had its toll on him while just seemed....the same.

I love how Connor Forrest Gumped his way through the AR, it really made him feel like he was an important and influential character on the whole of American History.
You can look back on the AR and think "I wonder how different things would be now, if it wasn't for Connor"
But then you got the FR, and you think "I wonder how different things would be now, if Arno actually did something useful"

Wait,are we talking about the same game?I am in sequence 5 and this is shaping up to take (at least) a top 3 AC spot....I understand that some people are pissed off by the perfomance issues and all this Initiates,Uplay BS,but worst AC ever?Hell,no!
Also,people are angry about the ,supposedly,low quality Arno story and the absence of MD.I may actually agree with them about the first part in a couple of days when i should finsh the game,but AC2 and ACB also have bad stories,but most people love them.(and if you are not concinced,read the posts by _M).As for MD,have you forgotten that 90% of the fanbase was crying about the "stupid Desmond" and the "useless MD"??
Also,just because combat is significantly harder(especially if you don't upgrade),this means it is worse than before?Do you like that Connor,Edward and even Ezio and Altair can kill literally an infinite amount of guards?
Finally,i prefer doing the ACU side missions,instead of beating husbands,skining animals,playing board games and crafring barrels for sale....And,NAVAL IS OVER(FOR AC).AC is not about naval.It was nice,but it cannot become a permanent part of the franchise
What exactly did you not like about the mission design and stealth?I agrre that they are not perfect,but i prefer them than killing my targets with a QTE,or in a cutscene or just having stupid linear asassinations....

Off-topic:Someone in this thread mentioned that apart from coop,paris stories etc,there also some "club missions",which are the equivalent of assassination contracts?How many are there and where can i find them?

AC1 - great characters, good story but told badly
AC2 - alright story, made up by great characters and humour
ACB - same, but repetitive so it got boring
ACR - great story, great characters, but also a slight feeling of repetitiveness
AC3 - overly saturated, but still enjoyable story, but so many characters that it was hard to keep track
AC4 - awesome characters and fun story, just not much assassin stuff

Looking at all the games so far, they are either strong in story and bad in character, or vice-versa.
Unity lacks both a compelling story and great characters.
It's extremely hard to tell a good story within 2-3 missions in a sequence, and all sequences have different stories. I really feel like Ubisoft just winged the story, stitching together sequence after sequence, without any thought.
Ubisoft focused far too much on making a pretty next-gen game, that they completely forgot about the story telling process.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-15-2014, 12:14 AM
The devs said a thousand times that the french revolution would be a backdrop

Each game in the series has a historical backdrop, but that doesn't mean the story should ignore that backdrop. Whenever they do, the game is less special.

SixKeys
11-15-2014, 12:17 AM
It's a computer game, not a Tolstoy novel. Computer games only have one setting, and that's cliché. Besides, clichés are clichés because they work - they get the player invested in the game.

Which is why I said clichés aren't necessarily a bad thing. I just disagree with the idea that the Ezio games had lots of memorable moments whereas Arno's story supposedly has none. It's simply not true. Ezio's story is often put on a high pedestal by nostalgic fans when it's really not as unique or amazing as they claim.

I must disagree with the idea that video games are "supposed" to have simplistic, uninspired stories. Games are an artform as much as any other and capable of so much more than what is currently being offered.

SixKeys
11-15-2014, 12:22 AM
Each game in the series has a historical backdrop, but that doesn't mean the story should ignore that backdrop. Whenever they do, the game is less special.

Disagree. Altaïr was barely involved in the Crusades and it made the game better. Meeting Richard the Lionheart was the only Gump-y moment in the game and that made it feel momentuous. "OMG Richard and me are talking as equals after I bested his most trusted general in battle. How cool is that??"

In the Ezio games you couldn't walk ten feet without bumping into someone famous and it was treated as: "oh, hey, it's that guy you've always heard about in history books - yeah, Ezio met him too. Just like all those other 15 guys. What a coincidence, eh?"

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 12:26 AM
I love how Connor Forrest Gumped his way through the AR, it really made him feel like he was an important and influential character on the whole of American History.
You can look back on the AR and think "I wonder how different things would be now, if it wasn't for Connor"
But then you got the FR, and you think "I wonder how different things would be now, if Arno actually did something useful"

Agreed. And here I was thinking the FR was gonna outshine the AR. :rolleyes:

Dev_Anj
11-15-2014, 12:31 AM
Computer games only have one setting, and that's cliché.

No, video games have many settings.

Besides, clichés are clichés because they work.

No, cliches are cliches because they're tropes that have been used way too many times by writers, so there's nothing particularly unique about them and they aren't as effective as they could be.

The problem with all the scenes you mentioned was that none of them really felt interesting or outstanding in any way except for the flying machine. The quote about their life never changing them is nothing more than a bookend to the whole scene where a brother lovingly chides his younger brother and they enjoy with a chase. There's nothing very impacting for it, it's just some foreshadowing that life won't be the same(because duh, it's Assassin's Creed, not Nobleman Parkour :p).

The Adam and Eve video, what was so outstanding about it? It's basically two human beings trying to run away from a slave camp and failing.

There was nothing special about the welcoming brotherhood scene either, it was basically a trained assassin welcoming new assassins with warmth.

I don't even remember Cristina's story that well, the only thing I know is that Ezio made love with her in AC 2 and there were some missions about her in AC: Brotherhood.

To be honest, I expected this to be more interesting, but the way the machine controlled made it more infuriating than anything. Same applies to a lot of Leonardo's machines really: they were supposed to show off the player getting power and using the enemy's machines against themselves, but the clunky mechanics made it more annoying than anything.

That honestly felt more dirty than anything else, all it told me about her character was that she cussed a lot and was a bit lewd. Honestly, a mother overreacting to the kidnappers of her children is nothing special.

So I can't see how these were outstanding in any way. Besides, AC 4 had a lot of bookend scenes and similar moments too, like escaping from the prison ships, losing Blackbeard, Edward realizing his mistakes, Edward being stranded on an island etc.

drmambo1999
11-15-2014, 12:50 AM
No, video games have many settings.

No, cliches are cliches because they're tropes that have been used way too many times by writers, so there's nothing particularly unique about them and they aren't as effective as they could be.

The problem with all the scenes you mentioned was that none of them really felt interesting or outstanding in any way except for the flying machine. The quote about their life never changing them is nothing more than a bookend to the whole scene where a brother lovingly chides his younger brother and they enjoy with a chase. There's nothing very impacting for it, it's just some foreshadowing that life won't be the same(because duh, it's Assassin's Creed, not Nobleman Parkour :p).

The Adam and Eve video, what was so outstanding about it? It's basically two human beings trying to run away from a slave camp and failing.

There was nothing special about the welcoming brotherhood scene either, it was basically a trained assassin welcoming new assassins with warmth.

I don't even remember Cristina's story that well, the only thing I know is that Ezio made love with her in AC 2 and there were some missions about her in AC: Brotherhood.

To be honest, I expected this to be more interesting, but the way the machine controlled made it more infuriating than anything. Same applies to a lot of Leonardo's machines really: they were supposed to show off the player getting power and using the enemy's machines against themselves, but the clunky mechanics made it more annoying than anything.

That honestly felt more dirty than anything else, all it told me about her character was that she cussed a lot and was a bit lewd. Honestly, a mother overreacting to the kidnappers of her children is nothing special.

So I can't see how these were outstanding in any way. Besides, AC 4 had a lot of bookend scenes and similar moments too, like escaping from the prison ships, losing Blackbeard, Edward realizing his mistakes, Edward being stranded on an island etc.

While I don't disagree with a lot you have posted here I do want to say I get what he means though. Cliches are used often because they do indeed keep pulling in people. Also pretty much everything nowadays is derived from something done before. that being said, how it is executed can make all the difference on how we perceive its originality.

Dev_Anj
11-15-2014, 12:58 AM
Cliches are used often because they do indeed keep pulling in people.

From my experience, that's not the reason writers use cliches, and that's not the reason tropes get overused. Most of the time, certain tropes are used mostly because they're convenient and a good shortcut to making a scene, but in the process, it also makes the scene less meaningful and interesting. There are lots of films using cliches that don't become successful. I wouldn't say it's used because it attracts people.

As for being derived from something, that's the very nature of art, to derive from existing things and provide a unique vision into them. Art by itself takes a lot of inspiration from real life, nature, people, situations etc.

D.I.D.
11-15-2014, 01:15 AM

That speech, on the walls to the enemy at Forli? That's almost word for word from the contemporary historical accounts from people who were there that day.

That moment is why Caterina Sforza is renowned as one of history's greatest BAMFs. She was known as "Il Tigre" for a reason, and I'd have been disappointed if they'd toned that down. She really did ride horses everywhere, was much more of a scheming political expert than you see in the game, and she really did lead her troops as a general: one of many famous female military rulers from history.

cawatrooper9
11-15-2014, 01:36 AM
Meh, Unity's probably in my top 4 at least right now (but I haven't played Rogue yet).

Dev_Anj
11-15-2014, 01:43 AM
She was known as "Il Tigre" for a reason, and I'd have been disappointed if they'd toned that down. She really did ride horses everywhere, was much more of a scheming political expert than you see in the game, and she really did lead her troops as a general: one of many famous female military rulers from history.

See, the problem is the game doesn't actually show me all of that. What the game showed me of her was that for some reason, she got stranded on an island and needed help from Ezio, even though she was close to many boatmen of her province who could have, and most probably would have helped her. The next we see of her is like 5 chapters later, and there too, she doesn't come off as anything more than a woman who cusses like anything and can barely fight with a knife. She isn't as interesting a character because a lot of the stuff that would give her personality were toned down, they introduce her as a damsel in distress in the most implausible way I've seen so far, and later on her only defining traits are "cusses a lot, taunted the kidnappers of her children with lewd stuff, and rested Ezio." This is partly because of trying to tell another story which had little to do with Forli and Caterina, Ezio's story, but also partially because the writers focus too much on making Ezio the big good guy who helps all these other people and is always respected by them, regardless of his actions.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 02:00 AM
My Masters degree is in English.

Cliches are actually pointless from a literary perspective. Anything done well, will transcend how many times it's used.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 02:03 AM

That's the thing, I was never one of the people who complained about it. I liked Desmond and the Modern Day!

Pr0metheus 1962
11-15-2014, 02:11 AM
The problem with all the scenes you mentioned was that none of them really felt interesting or outstanding in any way...

LOL. Sounds pretty sad for you then.

That honestly felt more dirty than anything else, all it told me about her character was that she cussed a lot and was a bit lewd. Honestly, a mother overreacting to the kidnappers of her children is nothing special..

Which kinda shows why you didn't like the same Assassin's Creed games I do: it seems you want history to reinforce your prudishness and the illusions you have regarding it. I like to learn about the true history and find the parts AC gets right. It sounds like you couldn't give a toss about the history, especially if it goes against your moral sensibilities.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 02:33 AM
I liked Caterina Sforza, even if I find it weird romancing a woman from history.

It's like playing an Assassin Lord Dudley and romancing Young Queen Elizabeth.

Anyway, I think Ezio's story resonated with people because Assassin's Creed was about a bunch of weird esoteric conspiracies I (frankly) couldn't have cared less about.

Who cares if the Assassins or Templars win? The Templars of AC1 were a reasonably nice bunch of people and the Assassins were murderous fanatics as well as heroes.

Both sucked so why become engaged with who wins?

Ezio's revenge story, by contrast, was much more understandable and I was invested in its resolution.

dstsn5665
11-15-2014, 04:04 AM
I see some of you are a little upset with Unity. I have played Every AC game made. I have enjoyed every one of them, including Unity. Despite the known bugs (freezing, kicking out of the game, falling through the ground, etc).

I must say, AC is all about Assassinations in each one. Though the others were more combat-heavy than Unity. In Unity, you really need to sneak around. You get surrounded, you have to run, or die. It's more challenging, which I enjoy more. There's allot more to this game than what people are saying, which I also enjoy. I like the challenge of the game and the whole story so far.

The bugs will be fixed. The game has been out, what, two days? Take a breath and read a book or something.

To those claiming 'It's my last AC game EVER'. You will still preorder the next one. You made this same complaint with AC3 and 4.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 04:12 AM
To those claiming 'It's my last AC game EVER'. You will still preorder the next one. You made this same complaint with AC3 and 4.

I LIKED BF and AC3.

But it doesn't mean I don't regret playing Revelations.

Kotza92
11-15-2014, 04:20 AM
Yes, only because the ending was so abrupt and gave no closure whatsoever.

I understand that a majority of people prefer the 'past' over the present in that it is more fun, novel and exciting. Yet we mustn't forget that the sole purpose of the game is to defeat Abstergo. The purpose of retrieving info from the past and our sojourns into the minds of previous assassins exists for no reason other than furthering the modern storyline.
The first ACs did this amazingly well. The way they expertly worked up to the whole 'end of the world' scenario in December 2012 was awesome. The curiosity and mystery of finding out who TWCB are, were and what they want (especially Juno and Minerva) and the creepy puzzles we needed to unlock in order to explore the hidden side of Abstergo and our precursor species drew me in. I mean how awesome were Ezio's cutscenes with Minerva?
Even Black Flag, a game which initially annoyed me in that it felt more like a pirate-simulator than a game dedicated towards the furthering of the game's fundamental storyline, had an incredibly important ending with Juno coming back to life and our anonymous character working in Abstergo's freakin' headquarters!!!
So when I had killed Germain, I was anticipating a key cut scene from the present, something that would be reminiscent of the end of Revelations (I think) when we discover where the 'Garden of Eden' is. At least have that girl that talks to you say "well we're ****ed, how are we going to find the Sage's skull now?" Instead there was... nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.
It's even more unforgivable when we recall how Black Flag finished. ****ing Juno is back and wants to control mankind! Abstergo is still up to their usual illuminati ****, and now we've got the added issue of the Phoenix Project wanting to find Sages. And yet, despite all this, we got a cheesy monologue and an ending that pretty much says "lol you ain't finding no skull, your entire quest was pointless".

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 04:25 AM
I understand that a majority of people prefer the 'past' over the present in that it is more fun, novel and exciting. Yet we mustn't forget that the sole purpose of the game is to defeat Abstergo. The purpose of retrieving info from the past and our sojourns into the minds of previous assassins exists for no reason other than furthering the modern storyline.

While I agree with most of what you're saying, I don't think Abstergo can be defeated because the Templars can't be defeated. The Assassins and Templars are eternal.

Dev_Anj
11-15-2014, 02:24 PM
LOL. Sounds pretty sad for you then.

Is that really your comeback line? :p

Which kinda shows why you didn't like the same Assassin's Creed games I do: it seems you want history to reinforce your prudishness and the illusions you have regarding it. I like to learn about the true history and find the parts AC gets right. It sounds like you couldn't give a toss about the history, especially if it goes against your moral sensibilities.

Ask any historian, and you'll know that Assassin's Creed is the last place you'll find historical accuracy in. It does more research than other game series', and does show some historical backdrops which are enjoyable to explore, but it's not historically accurate.

No, I don't have a problem with real life events being depicted accurately, but that scene seemed a bit odd since it doesn't show anything about Caterina's character that hasn't already been established, i.e she's a bit dirty and can go personal when needed. It was nothing more than a scene which was put in because they didn't know how to write Caterina as more than a one dimensional character, and so needed a bit of randomness and shock value by showing that.

Aaron5588
11-15-2014, 09:57 PM
I agree with some of the points that several ppl are making, yes Unity has ALOT of bugs, and yes Unity is a bit choppy in some areas. But the game hasn't been for a month yet... Although Ubisoft has made some sketchy decisions in the past, like adding micro transactions to the game (hint, hint). That being said I really like the "new" mobility that is at your disposal. Before anyone jumps on me i realize that there is only one other button added to the whole hold these buttons and run up a wall thing but its simple and works pretty well. I do not however believe that Unity is the worst AC game that has been produced. That honor if you will belongs to Revelations... I hated that game with the burning passion of a thousand suns... Hook blade.. really? and who could believe a 65 to 70 something yr old man running around a desert city like hes in his 20's.. Not likely... But again back to Unity, it could stand to have some mini games and other factions to deal with. I realize that the Revolutionists help you out with the extremists, but there's room for improvement. I also enjoy the ability to create your own clan, and use different skills to further your goals in coop. I know some ppl dont like this aspect of the game at all but its a nice change up and works really well if you find a group of ppl who like playing and work together.

PedroAntonio2
11-15-2014, 10:15 PM
While I agree with most of what you're saying, I don't think Abstergo can be defeated because the Templars can't be defeated. The Assassins and Templars are eternal.

Abstergo can be defeated, but not the Templars. The government is already investigating Abstergo because they poisoned a village while testing a drug or something, if the Assassins could prove that then the enterprise would be closed down and a lot of Templars would go to jail, but still...there are Templar involved in so many places....

rrebe
11-15-2014, 10:40 PM
The worst AC game of all time? Nah, I may have only just finished sequence 3 but I feel like it's among the best AC games. Game is beautiful, the new parkour system is fantastic and there's so much stuff to do in Paris, and I really like Arno and the story so far. I haven't really encountered any bugs or glitches, but I do have a some concerns over fps and loading times, and that's about it (playing it on PS4). If you can get past those issues it really is a great game. IMO.

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 10:44 PM
After finally seeing the ending to Unity, I will admit it beats Liberation as my least favorite AC game. Beats brotherhood too.

That's sad, IMO.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Eh, its knocking on their door for me.

They're all equal to me. XD

killzab
11-15-2014, 11:15 PM
After finally seeing the ending to Unity, I will admit it beats Liberation as my least favorite AC game. Beats brotherhood too.

That's sad, IMO.

Do you really prefer Liberation over Unity ?!

At least you can't deny ACU has an AMAZING setting with Paris, which Liberation doesn't have... at all !

rprkjj
11-15-2014, 11:18 PM
I disagree with the reviews, at the moment this ties with Black Flag for my favorite. I'll play it through all the way before my final judgement though. Loving the variety in the story between the open assassinations and the more cinematic missions which are still less hand-holdy than anything in AC3. Mod missions are awesome additions that I want to see elaborated on and expanded down the road. I love the side-missions, the Paris stories and Cafe Theatre missions offer more variety to the assassination contracts, and I love the murder mysteries from the couple of missions I played. I didn't imagine that I would actually have to use some sort of mental prowess to finish an AC missions, and that's not even talking about the Nostradamus Enigmas which hurt my riddle-impaired brain. The new parkour mechanics took a while to get used to, but running across the rooftops and descending are way more fluid than in the past.

I love the feeling of Paris, the amount of landmarks is reminiscent of AC2 and after playing for a while, they all become immediately recognizable, giving a familiar feel to the atmosphere. I already prefer the combat over past iterations, but it still has it's flaws. Meat shields would be an appreciated return, but the challenge is greatly appreciated. AC3-4 combat was boringly simple and too easy, and the multitude of obnoxious effects and clipping there was seems to be gone for the most part in Unity. Skill progressions seems a bit bare but I like being able to customize Arno to my play style. The thought that went into designing the dozens of equipment you can get is amazing, they all look great. Time anomalies are amazing and a more than suitable replacement for Assassin tombs. I was skeptical of the returning underground system after how boring it was in AC3, but the lack of loading screens turns it into a convenient and pleasant addition. Playing with others is hit or miss, but it's pretty satisfying to smash a heist with other people that you failed trying to solo. They're a nice edition, but not the main attraction for me. I'm at sequence 10 at the moment. and I'm not sure how I feel about MD. I would still prefer a legit MD protagonist but it's serviceable.

*SPOILERS*

The story was pretty underwhelming at first. I could care less about Arno's dad or De La Serre, and Arno's transition into the brotherhood felt a bit rushed. In the beginning, Arno seemed way to similar to Ezio. Every other line of his could have been said by Ezio and been equally as believable, but as the story progressed, I saw him as way more dedicated and clever than Ezio. I began to see shades of Altair and Edward in him as well, which is when I began to warm up to the character, but I'm still waiting to play Rogue to see a truly unique take on a protag like what we got with Edward. Mirabeau and Bellec were awesome, and I thought Elise was alright. There were some cool twists, and overall I'm satisfied with the story so far.

/SPOILERS END.

My only real gripes with the game are some jenky cover controls, annoying window snipers, an instance where I fell through the ground, the odd epic frame drop, and the incessant amount of companion apps. Gating chests behind them make said chests only serve as clutter on the maps, and the companion apps themselves aren't worthwhile to justify it.

Overall, loving it.

JustPlainQuirky
11-15-2014, 11:18 PM
Do you really prefer Liberation over Unity ?!

At least you can't deny ACU has an AMAZING setting with Paris, which Liberation doesn't have... at all !

You have a point.

But even though I find Aveline horribly reactionary, I still find her more likable than Arno.

And I do recall having some shred of fun in Liberation. That hasn't happened in Unity so far. Unless 2 minutes of parkour counts.

Namikaze_17
11-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I think Aveline may be better than Arno...

And that's not saying much.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 11:54 PM
Aveline's tale felt like there was some story missing.

Especially when she ends up killing a ton of everyone and leaving New Orleans devastated conspiracy wise.

Like... Where did she go from there?

wickywoowoo
11-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Haven't read all 11 pages of this thread but the original list is missing the PSP game, Bloodlines, which was Altair.

It wasn't the best game but I enjoyed it.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-16-2014, 12:05 AM
Haven't read all 11 pages of this thread but the original list is missing the PSP game, Bloodlines, which was Altair.

It wasn't the best game but I enjoyed it.

I only included games on main consoles.
The Liberation placement was based on HD reviews,not vita reviews :P

wickywoowoo
11-16-2014, 12:08 AM
I only included games on main consoles.
The Liberation placement was based on HD reviews,not vita reviews :P

Ah, fair enough, wasn't trying to that "THAT guy" but thought you'd genuinely missed one. Having said that, wouldn't be surprised if you did with Bloodlines. Didn't get much help, that one.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Ah, fair enough, wasn't trying to that "THAT guy" but thought you'd genuinely missed one. Having said that, wouldn't be surprised if you did with Bloodlines. Didn't get much help, that one.

yeah theres about 10 AC games spread around out there that many of us have prob never even heard of haha

drmambo1999
11-16-2014, 12:51 AM
I am loving this game so far! Definitely NOT the worst AC of all time. I would say the GBA one is the worst....well my opinion at least. XD I personally don't think this game should be looked at as a bad game either. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, but from what I have played, this game has a lot going for it. I can see why some don't like the throw back to the first 2 games, but that is exactly what I like so much about it. I loved AC4 but something I noticed that started happening since ACB and somewhat subsided in AC3 but then continued in AC4 was the lack of flow when doing parkour.

What I mean by this is the cities weren't dense enough to really use parkour the way I wanted to to get from place to place. The AC worlds have always been great aside from that but I am glad that Ubisoft chose this approach and focused more on what made AC unique in the first place with Unity. I didn't mind the naval stuff, but I really don't care if it is in an AC game. The hunting is something I really loved but I agree that it doesn't fit well in this game. I feel Unity has a lot to offer to those who are willing to look for it. Sure there is a lot we have seen before, but there is also a lot more.

I love the murder mystery missions, combat, character customization, new parkour system (though can be buggy at times like every other AC game), and the cities are huge! Some may argue the map isn't as big as AC4 but AC4's map consisted of A LOT of water. I also don't think Arno is all that bad. the more I play the more I can see his own uniqueness as a character. Just because he has a snarky personality, doesn't make him an Ezio clone. that being said, in the beginning he did look the part. XD The story's structure is similar to AC2 though at least in the beginning. It isn't the BEST AC story, but I don;t think it is as bad as some people are making it out to be. (Just my opinion.)

I think this game has gotten a lot of "sheep hate." Now I know the game has some flaws that absolutely NEED to be fixed. I understand Ubisoft should have NOT released an unfinished game! But I think ACU would have gotten at least a solid review average from the player base if not for the huge commotion over the FPS and bugs. (once again just my opinion, could be wrong about that.)

At any rate, every one has a right to their own opinion and mine happens to be very positive about this game. I haven't played rougue yet but I am looking forward to that one as well. :) Happy gaming all.

Shahkulu101
11-16-2014, 01:43 AM
You have a point.

But even though I find Aveline horribly reactionary, I still find her more likable than Arno.

And I do recall having some shred of fun in Liberation. That hasn't happened in Unity so far. Unless 2 minutes of parkour counts.

Well unless you count the story as fun (which would sound like the wrong word to describe narrative) I struggle to believe that AC3 (as an example - since you like this game) is more fun than Unity. AC3's gameplay, apart from naval and a few select main missions, was some of the worst and most exhaustingly boring segments of gameplay I've ever experienced. And you know me, I have pretty low standards.

Without spoiling anything what are your main problems with the narrative?

JustPlainQuirky
11-16-2014, 01:48 AM
Well unless you count the story as fun (which would sound like the wrong word to describe narrative) I struggle to believe that AC3 (as an example - since you like this game) is more fun than Unity. AC3's gameplay, apart from naval and a few select main missions, was some of the worst and most exhaustingly boring segments of gameplay I've ever experienced. And you know me, I have pretty low standards.

Without spoiling anything what are your main problems with the narrative?

AC3 has gotten boring overtime for me TBH.

and flaws were:
-underdeveloped characters. its hard to feel bad for stuff that happens to them if we hardly interact with them
-lack of characters. there are like 3 notable characters (including the protagonist) and theyre hardly even with Arno for most of the game
-the plot is as barebones predictable and unoriginal as it gets

Shahkulu101
11-16-2014, 01:52 AM
And I heard that the history isn't explored very much at all? Like, in an attempt to avoid the Forrest Gump factor they've went too far and there's almost zero exploration of the time periods characters, themes of the revolution etc...

Is that accurate?

rprkjj
11-16-2014, 01:55 AM
AC3 has gotten boring overtime for me TBH.

and flaws were:
-underdeveloped characters. its hard to feel bad for stuff that happens to them if we hardly interact with them
-lack of characters. there are like 3 notable characters (including the protagonist) and theyre hardly even with Arno for most of the game
-the plot is as barebones predictable and unoriginal as it gets

I would consider Bellec, Mirabeau, De Sade, Elise, Germain, Napoleon, and the Council as a whole as memorable characters. Different strokes I guess.

Namikaze_17
11-16-2014, 01:56 AM
Yeah, AC3 got boring after I finished everything...but that happens with all the games for me.

And probably all of May's points are my flaws with Unity as well.

Not to mention the French Borgias... :rolleyes:

Namikaze_17
11-16-2014, 01:57 AM
And I heard that the history isn't explored very much at all? Like, in an attempt to avoid the Forrest Gump factor they've went too far and there's almost zero exploration of the time periods characters, themes of the revolution etc...

Is that accurate?

Yes, there's hardly any mention or involvement of the Revolution whatsoever.

Shahkulu101
11-16-2014, 01:58 AM
Once again - haven't played the game - but aren't the 'evil' band of Templars the corrupted ones trying to usurp the old older which Elise's dad belonged to?

In which case, their mustache twirling ways are justifiable because they aren't the 'true' Templars if you get what I mean.

rprkjj
11-16-2014, 01:58 AM

Is that accurate?

Beheading of King Louis, Storming of Bastille, Marquis De Sade, Napoleon, and Mirabeau are all major pieces of the main story. I actually love the way Unity handles it. It strikes a balance between AC2 where almost every character was historically famous, and AC1 where a few of the targets were actually real and then you had Richard the Lionheart.

Fatal-Feit
11-16-2014, 02:01 AM
AC:3 never gets boring for me, as the story is constantly moving. It gets stale around sequence 7-9ish after Connor's first and second assassination, but it quickly picks back up after his reunion with Haytham.

I still need to complete Unity, though.

Namikaze_17
11-16-2014, 02:05 AM
Once again - haven't played the game - but aren't the 'evil' band of Templars the corrupted ones trying to usurp the old older which Elise's dad belonged to?

In which case, their mustache twirling ways are justifiable because they aren't the 'true' Templars if you get what I mean.

I guess. But each of their reasons behind doing it are so mustache twirling-esque.

xXLO5TXx
11-16-2014, 02:05 AM
What kills me is the post about not knowing why, you are doing thus said missions and why/why not your character feels compelled to do those... are you dence? Or just full on ret4rded??(never go full ret4rd ) I loved the story, a bit predictable, yes but great none the less. Do us a favor and sell your copy, the Ac universe will be better off..

Namikaze_17
11-16-2014, 02:07 AM
AC:3 never gets boring for me, as the story is constantly moving. It gets stale around sequence 7-9ish after Connor's first and second assassination, but it quickly picks back up after his reunion with Haytham.

I still need to complete Unity, though.

Oh, I ment gameplay-wise...

I never get bored with its story. Except those Haytham sequences drag on longer each time I play them.

Amazon Lilly
11-29-2014, 10:38 AM
I have played every AC game and Unity has driven me nuts, I spent hours upon hours doing useless missions on the app to unlock the outfits only for them to get locked again and no way of getting them back (fuming doesn't come close)
No multiplayer was always going to be an issue with me and for it to be replaced with Co-oP is even more disappointing, I was bored after three missions on that.
The amount of chest are ridiculous and boring.
The story is predictable.
The side missions are unimaginative and seem all the same.
I could go on but I'm boring myself.
4/10 appalling!

mmac900
11-29-2014, 12:06 PM
Its one of the best actually.

mmac900
11-29-2014, 12:10 PM

They are true templars because they stay true to their "order out of chaos" actions.

On an unrelated note, does anyone here notice the similarities between ac games and real life? How you have a small group of people who try and control the world in this way? All the wars and false flag events such as 9/11 or 7/7 etc all designed to cause "chaos" so they can step in with a solution that serves their agenda and the sheep will just follow.

Very templar-esque.

Latte10010
11-29-2014, 12:33 PM
I have played every AC game and Unity has driven me nuts, I spent hours upon hours doing useless missions on the app to unlock the outfits only for them to get locked again and no way of getting them back (fuming doesn't come close)
No multiplayer was always going to be an issue with me and for it to be replaced with Co-oP is even more disappointing, I was bored after three missions on that.
The amount of chest are ridiculous and boring.
The story is predictable.
The side missions are unimaginative and seem all the same.
I could go on but I'm boring myself.
4/10 appalling!

This! We can earn a lot of money by renovating Cafe, heist, and assassinations.
Why do sworn assassins have to steal small money from ordinary people's houses or shops just next to them. I really don't like this idea.
Our Assassins are shabby thieves, as well.
And it's a trophy condition...

Overall, I'm giving Unity 3/10.

The_Kiwi_
11-29-2014, 12:35 PM
They are true templars because they stay true to their "order out of chaos" actions.

On an unrelated note, does anyone here notice the similarities between ac games and real life? How you have a small group of people who try and control the world in this way? All the wars and false flag events such as 9/11 or 7/7 etc all designed to cause "chaos" so they can step in with a solution that serves their agenda and the sheep will just follow.

Very templar-esque.

That's a very shrewd view of it all
And you can't exactly state that your view is the actual way it is, seeing as no-one truly understands terror events and motivation behind them
But your view does make it seem very Templar-esque, yes

mmac900
11-29-2014, 02:10 PM
That's a very shrewd view of it all
And you can't exactly state that your view is the actual way it is, seeing as no-one truly understands terror events and motivation behind them
But your view does make it seem very Templar-esque, yes

Problem - reaction - solution.

Look it up.

I am always amazed that video games and movies protray secret atrategic plots to control people, and people are like "yeah that makes sense", and yet in real life people never question anything.

The_Kiwi_
11-29-2014, 10:09 PM

Look it up.

I am always amazed that video games and movies protray secret atrategic plots to control people, and people are like "yeah that makes sense", and yet in real life people never question anything.

Again, you can't go around saying that the "problem - reaction - solution" method is the real reason why terrorists do what they do.
You don't truly know why they do it, so you can't pretend that you do.
That's all I'm saying.

RinoTheBouncer
11-29-2014, 10:51 PM

Look it up.

I actually agree with this. Every “bad guy” has his own motives and reasons for doing what they do. It’s not like every murderer or terrorist out there is just doing it because they enjoy doing it. I’m not saying this in their defense and it doesn’t make a terrorist less of a criminal, but there are a lot of reasons behind every fractured psyche that starts to believe that the only way of achieving what they want is through killing.

Look at the Assassins, for example. They’re our “good guys” and they kill people to solve problems, hell even apologize if the target made a good point in the “white room”. So what make the Assassins so different from other murderers? yes we don’t know why they do what they do, for sure, but it only makes sense to believe that there’s often a reason.

Imagine a terrorist blew a bomb up to destroy a tank of enemy forces that invaded his country. Is he really a bad guy for trying to get rid of the invaders of his country that his government doesn’t have the balls to do? and if you look at it from the other side, how will the invaders look at it? they’ll say “a terrorist killed one of us!”, while the natives will say “a hero sacrificed himself or bombed a tank to get rid of our enemies” and then somebody in the street could’ve been walking and died, his father would say “those damn terrorist killed my son just to destroy one tank of the enemy forces, as if it matters!” and he might go on a killing spree to avenge his son against the terrorist and the enemy forces.

So it’s all a matter of perspective. All those people are involved in killing, but I don’t think they’re all crazy. No. Each one of those had a reason to do what they do. Your president could be our terrorist and our hero could be your criminal. That’s just the way it is.

mmac900
11-30-2014, 01:40 PM
I actually agree with this. Every “bad guy” has his own motives and reasons for doing what they do. It’s not like every murderer or terrorist out there is just doing it because they enjoy doing it. I’m not saying this in their defense and it doesn’t make a terrorist less of a criminal, but there are a lot of reasons behind every fractured psyche that starts to believe that the only way of achieving what they want is through killing.

Look at the Assassins, for example. They’re our “good guys” and they kill people to solve problems, hell even apologize if the target made a good point in the “white room”. So what make the Assassins so different from other murderers? yes we don’t know why they do what they do, for sure, but it only makes sense to believe that there’s often a reason.

Imagine a terrorist blew a bomb up to destroy a tank of enemy forces that invaded his country. Is he really a bad guy for trying to get rid of the invaders of his country that his government doesn’t have the balls to do? and if you look at it from the other side, how will the invaders look at it? they’ll say “a terrorist killed one of us!”, while the natives will say “a hero sacrificed himself or bombed a tank to get rid of our enemies” and then somebody in the street could’ve been walking and died, his father would say “those damn terrorist killed my son just to destroy one tank of the enemy forces, as if it matters!” and he might go on a killing spree to avenge his son against the terrorist and the enemy forces.

So it’s all a matter of perspective. All those people are involved in killing, but I don’t think they’re all crazy. No. Each one of those had a reason to do what they do. Your president could be our terrorist and our hero could be your criminal. That’s just the way it is.

You hit the nail in the head here. People in the west are so brainwashed by the media that they actually think that america or uk are the "good guys" and everyone else is evil. The truth is, every country serves their own agenda, but people are like fricken kids who think its patriotic to join the army and kill other people, when they dont even why they are doing it.

xboxauditore
11-30-2014, 04:18 PM
I'm planning to get a PS4 for Xmas, and Assassin's Creed is on my hitlist of games, but how is it overall? If you met me in the street and started recommending some new games, would Unity be a part of that?

I've been following the series since 1 and have always loved the games, and i have always seen this forum picking apart each of the new games very single time, but most of the time that is because the new game was hyped up beyond what we were getting, but anyway, if I've been a huge fan of the games and always will be, will Unity be worth the money?

johnsmith145
11-30-2014, 05:40 PM
I'm planning to get a PS4 for Xmas, and Assassin's Creed is on my hitlist of games, but how is it overall? If you met me in the street and started recommending some new games, would Unity be a part of that?
I wouldn't recommend it. Having played it at 99% (stuck here, cause, you know, bugs), I can say it was not a pleasant experience. And not only because of bugs, but because of the structure of the game being centered around stuff rather than story. Some people might like that though. Else Ubi wouldn't have collected stats and rating from us in AC4.

The only things this game has gone back to the roots with are mechanics and open-ended missions.

Latte10010
11-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Buying for Xmas is a bit too early, I think.
I want to like this game, but just there are too many unstable technical issues.

ESPECIALLY AFTER PATCH3, Patch 3 was a terror attack to my PS4!! I was fine before Patch3!

I'm a huge AC fan, but if I were you and if you can wait, I'll spend my Xmas holiday with more stable games
then wait until this AC Unity get a REAL STABLE PATCH. Price will be dropped so you won't waste your $$$$, wisely.