PDA

View Full Version : Seems like more people are wanting Modern Day back!

king-hailz
11-13-2014, 10:40 PM
Since unity has released I have seen so many people, at least 65% of people I have seen say they want modern day back and that it feels weird without it!

Even the reviewers have criticised the fact that modern day is non existent! Which shows us that people would rather have a well written and well done modern day than take away something that makes assassins creed so unique!

So ubisoft a LOT of people want you to do the modern day properly again with a character who is written well and likeable and give us back the unique factor of assassins creed!

You also don't have to stick with it being 'present' day! I liked when I played ac1 and ac2 that I was playing in the past and the future! Just do something crazy and go in the future 20 years and make up a story that doesn't have to fit into the present day!

So tell me would you rather have:

A) A modern day that exists and is well written with good fun gameplay, which also ties in well with the following games!

B) No modern day at all. Just a historical game.

C) How it is now, there because they can't get rid of it and not really there because.... I don't know!

Kakuzu745
11-13-2014, 11:44 PM
Modern Day have 95% criticized the performance of the game and its most basic aspects...few of them have really taken the time to care about MD. See, I can also make up numbers and statistics to prove a point ;)

You just had to say you wanted to know what people think about MD without throwing a random made up statistic ;)

Assassin_M
11-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Since unity has released I have seen so many people, at least 65% of people I have seen say they want modern day back and that it feels weird without it!
I find that hard to believe. Ubisoft is not dumb enough to minimize (yes, it's not completely gone) a feature that's popular. Look at Ezio, look at Naval. Those were milked to death. If modern day was in any way popular, they would bring it back with a character like Desmond.

I believe you're only referring to people here. I don't mind modern day but if it's gone, i wont be sad to see it go.

HiddenKiller612
11-13-2014, 11:56 PM
A vocal minority on a forum=/= 65% of the people who've bought the game. Sorry charlie.

Sushiglutton
11-13-2014, 11:56 PM
People like to complain though. Before it has been the people not liking MD who have had a reason to complain, for Unity it's the opposite. This gives the illusion MD is more popular now that it's "gone".

I'm replaying Blackflag atm, memory by memory, and it's so sweet to not have to deal with the MD story, but just be able to concentrate on the excelllent Edward story!

D.I.D.
11-14-2014, 12:02 AM
I'm the lone person who said "how it is now", but only because I'd be happy with it being gone too. Given that I agree with two statements, I voted for the most neutral one.

Yeah, I know... "blah blah roots of the whole series"... but you can bring that storyline to an end in an interesting way, and pick up with something else (or not). If there's ever a total reboot, I'd love to see a complete remodelling of that whole area of the storyline, but it would have to be something dramatically different before I'd be okay with it. I hate pretty much every aspect of TWCB, but Abstergo's got plenty of potential.

Debestemensen
11-14-2014, 12:02 AM
historical day only please, i have 0 interest in being in a futuristic cubicle but cubicle nonetheless, its not appealing to me whatsoever and every segment that forces me to do so annoys me to great lenghts and i just rush through it ignoring everything said in it because im of opinion it deviates me from the historic story.

Minsooky
11-14-2014, 03:31 AM
I don't want modern. I really dislike modern day, it's jarring when you're, say, in the 1700s for 5 straight hours and suddenly you have to do something in modern day for 15 minutes. Plus the MD storyline just bores me most of the time (Rogue MD interested me though).

sand_anne
11-14-2014, 03:49 AM
Bring it back please! I loved modern day. It reminds you of the bigger picture. I feel Unity is missing a total cohesion that modern day brought to past iterations. My two cents.

nathansames
11-14-2014, 04:20 AM
As far as im concerned im still the main character since black flag...coming from black flag -- i like this new approach to the modern day and i dont want a rehash of the same thing over and over again. the modern day story still exists it's just done a little differently and i'm interested to see where they take us next

Steelray25
11-14-2014, 04:54 AM
The MD story is the overarching mythos that ties all the games together. And while it is sometimes tedious, I do find interest in it and hope it continues. At least until there's a firm resolution.

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 05:39 AM
People like to complain though. Before it has been the people not liking MD who have had a reason to complain, for Unity it's the opposite. This gives the illusion MD is more popular now that it's "gone".

This. What is happening is that people who don't MD or like it the way it is now, are happy playing; while those who don't are busy complaining. It's basic knowledge; people unhappy with something are more likely to raise their voice than those happy with it.. because they have a personal interest in doing so.

As an example: look at the discrepancies shown between the voter's trend and the replies on the thread. People who agree with your statement just vote and move on (mostly), because they agree with you, they are at peace with your assertion. People who disagree take time to reply, because they disagree with your assertion and feel like they have to air their disagreement. If there was no vote, you'd have believed that absolutely no one likes MD (more or less, going by the replies alone.) Ergo, disagreement always rings louder than agreement on the internet, champ.

Also: confirmation bias/selective sampling. You are more likely to find people who conform to your views than opposing it. I can tell you that 100% of 'people I've seen' are happy that MD is gone; and that'd be as true as what you stated. But at the same time it'd also be as biased a statement as yours.
Cheers. :D

I'm replaying Blackflag atm, memory by memory, and it's so sweet to not have to deal with the MD story, but just be able to concentrate on the excelllent Edward story!

Isn't it just heavenly? :D

I find that hard to believe. Ubisoft is not dumb enough to minimize (yes, it's not completely gone) a feature that's popular. Look at Ezio, look at Naval. Those were milked to death. If modern day was in any way popular, they would bring it back with a character like Desmond.

Also this. If enough people wanted MD back you could be damn sure they'd have made 5000 modern day protagonists by now.

Kaaedus
11-14-2014, 06:09 AM
The MD story is the overarching mythos that ties all the games together. And while it is sometimes tedious, I do find interest in it and hope it continues. At least until there's a firm resolution.

Agreed. The argument for the MD narrative has nothing to do "sticking to the roots of the series". As far as I'm concerned, it has more to do with the series' identity. The AC narrative is ultimately set in the present day. The so-called "historical storyline" is being experienced by the present day protagonist, whether that's Desmond or Random Abstergo Employee. That character is supposed to be experiencing, via the animus, the same things that you are at the same time that you are. This is common knowledge obviously, but sometimes I feel like people forget that the historical storyline is intended to be a part of the MD narrative.To strip the series of that narrative would ultimately leave us with a rather generic historical action-adventure sandbox game in which you run around and stab people. Sounds semi-interesting still, but ultimately rather disposable.

What the devs need to do is plan out the modern story arch in more detail and STICK TO IT. Desmond's arch was stretched too thin and changed to account for a couple of games that weren't originally part of the plan (AC was originally planned to be a trilogy remember). Brohood and Revelations were added and the modern day plot started to lose coherency. I recall reading an article stating that there has been an endgame planned. That's great, but right now that storyline is just treading water. Perhaps that's the plan: don't move that storyline along until it's time for said endgame. I would hope not, as this would not match the level of ambition that I've come to expect from this franchise.

It seems that they're transitioning the modern day story arch to use Initiates as the primary delivery device. That seems like a cop-out to me. A weak attempt at compromise to appease the crowd that wants their generic historical action-adventure sandbox game. They might change my mind some day. They might use the interaction between initiates and the games in novel ways to deliver a truly memorable story, but thus far I'm not impressed.

tldr; To summarize: What the devs need to do is plan out the modern story arch in more detail and STICK TO IT.

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 06:39 AM
MD is just a framing device, it's a good framing device admittedly; but at the end of the day it's just that. Same as other framing devices. The problem is that this framing device got too complex for its own good. Suppose there's a story about a man reading his grandfather's journal; about his experiences in the second world war. And you have the guy wandering about and doing random nonsense in present day instead of actually reading the book and starting the real story. That's what MD felt like before, atleast to me. Now I can atleast skip ahead to the meat of the story without diverting my time with nonsense missions.

Also there's nothing ordinary about 'just another historical action adventure game'. How common are they, outside AC and strategy genres? You can count them on your fingers. On the contrary, there have been plenty, plenty, plenty modern day stealth games or modern sandbox games. (seeming that's what MD supporters want MD to look like.)

Razrback16
11-14-2014, 06:41 AM
Yep, this is a huge piece that's missing. Doesn't have to have a ton of screentime, but it has to be there. This is a piece of what made the first 5 games really interesting. The modern day story was mysterious because of the artifacts, and you fully understood why you were going into the animus to track people / places / artifacts down.

shobhit7777777
11-14-2014, 06:47 AM
Modern day belongs in hell, with AC3 giving it company.

Dev_Anj
11-14-2014, 07:01 AM
.To strip the series of that narrative would ultimately leave us with a rather generic historical action-adventure sandbox game in which you run around and stab people. Sounds semi-interesting still, but ultimately rather disposable.

Can you point out any other games that feature climbing buildings, assassinating people and exploring historical locations? Also, the modern day was hardly brought up as a major point while talking about the story in the reviews of previous AC games. For AC 1, most people just said that it was a decent framing device, which it is, but that doesn't mean the narrative is anything special.

ace3001
11-14-2014, 07:06 AM
I don't mind the modern day the way it is in Unity. That format is fine, at least. What needs to be changed is that the story needs to actually progress, because Unity did **** all in that regard. Those of us who were following this series from the start would like to at least see what happens with the Juno situation and how the Assassins and/or Templars resolve it.
But it seems Ubisoft is just catering to new players and turning this into a yearly franchise, with the overarching modern day story pretty much dropped by the wayside.

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 07:09 AM
Can you point out any other games that feature climbing buildings, assassinating people and exploring historical locations? Also, the modern day was hardly brought up as a major point while talking about the story in the reviews of previous AC games. For AC 1, most people just said that it was a decent framing device, which it is, but that doesn't mean the narrative is anything special.

Funny thing is fleshing out MD more (with MD character desmondlike, a MD city) makes it even more generic than that. Yeah we never ever saw anything like that in our times.:rolleyes:

king-hailz
11-14-2014, 07:27 AM
The thing is, if they got rid of the modern day completely, many people wouldn't buy the game! However if it was there like it was in 3 then people would still buy the game! (AC3 is still the best selling I think) and if they make it good then that gives a reason for everyone to enjoy!

Also I did just make a statistic up... but it's true it's one of the reasons in each review that it got a low score. Also I have been looking in so many places and more people are complaining about the modern day then people saying 'yes it's gone'!

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 07:35 AM
True, many wouldn't buy the game with MD gone, but most would still buy it. Come on, you truly can't go with the financial angle; from day 1 their marketing focus has been fairly and squarely on the historical part. This is a capitalist world we live in, and it is driven by market's demands. Modern day was gutted. What does that say? I'm sure ubi took that decision because they knew there exist a huge number of MD fans. :rolleyes:

Regarding people complaining, I've already described it in my first post. In short: complains always seem louder.

king-hailz
11-14-2014, 07:43 AM
True, many wouldn't buy the game with MD gone, but most would still buy it. Come on, you truly can't go with the financial angle; from day 1 their marketing focus has been fairly and squarely on the historical part. This is a capitalist world we live in, and it is driven by market's demands. Modern day was gutted. What does that say? I'm sure ubi took that decision because they knew there exist a huge number of MD fans. :rolleyes:

Regarding people complaining, I've already described it in my first post. In short: complains always seem louder.

They know there are a huge number of fans who love the modern day and if they get rid of it they know they will lose a lot of sales! That's why it is existent in unity.

So why not do the thing that makes everyone happy.

Have a modern day that is GOOD so that most people who didn't like it before will like it!

Make the story for both so good that you can't wait to go the modern day and then back the past!

That's how every ac should have been! And it was like that for me in AC2 and ACB! Well mainly AC2!

I'm sure if the modern day had a story that gave a massive impact like the last of us would be enjoyable by most!

So do it!

Sigv4rd
11-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Honestly I find the Juno story line pointlessly drawn out with little payoff. All of the interesting Modern Day characters (Deadmond does not count as interesting) are dead and the rest are hollow characters who are introduced to be the new

"We need YOUR help to search through these genetic memories initiate/assassin/numskull/tablet/player"

person. Only to end up saying something like

"Thanks initiate/assassin/numskull/tablet/player you have helped us in the fight against the opposing side in this war. Now I'm going to go off and do interesting things you stay here and watch the end credits and **** around in the Animus until next year. Bye!"

The only way I could find Modern Day interesting again is if they rebooted that aspect of the canon (keeping the historical stuff untouched) and move on to some more interesting plot about the Modern Assassins vs Abstergo with a new cast of interesting characters.

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 08:11 AM
They know there are a huge number of fans who love the modern day and if they get rid of it they know they will lose a lot of sales! That's why it is existent in unity.

In it's present castrated form yes. :) Because a lot of em asked em to do so.

There is no single thing that makes everyone happy.

Have a modern day that is GOOD so that most people who didn't like it before will like it!

There are a hundred reasons why people don't like MD, not just because it was poorly executed. For example, those who like CoD as it is, would they prefer if the single player involves huuge branching storyline and the best RPG elements evaar? Nope! They wouldn't care. No matter how engaging it is. That's not why they buy CoDs for, and this is not why I buy AC for.

Make the story for both so good that you can't wait to go the modern day and then back the past!

http://rs1img.memecdn.com/mission-impossibru_o_208688.jpg

That's how every ac should have been! And it was like that for me in AC2 and ACB! Well mainly AC2!

So did you enjoy the last battle with modern day guards fighting like medieval italians using funny swords? :) That's exactly the kind of **** that makes me roll my eyes at the so-called awesome modern day.

I'm sure if the modern day had a story that gave a massive impact like the last of us would be enjoyable by most!

Once again, you're simplifying things too much brah.

SaphironX
11-14-2014, 08:17 AM
I hated the aliens, the artifacts, the general weirdness. I did the period setting and the stories that are more believable. Desmond was boring, I didn't care, I just wanted to enjoy renaissance italy or revolutionary france. I can play GTA if I want modern day, and the further they get from the weird aspects of Ac the more I'll enjoy the series.

God was I sick of the apple of eden flashing bad guys in the end, in a final battle, i want to fight, not press x to win.

Dev_Anj
11-14-2014, 08:18 AM

Fact.

I really love your posts pirate1802. You could probably win any debate AC related. :)

Bahjabroni
11-14-2014, 08:23 AM
I like Modern Day in doses as well. I still think Desmond is one of the best characters the series has produced and its a shame the way his story arc ended as I felt the writing did the character no justice at all. That said, I really like the "rifts" in Unity. I think something like that could be implemented and be more of a gameplay element. I even liked the whole Abstergo employee thing in Black Flag.

I'm absolutely against a modern day game with no history. I did like the platforming elements that were involved in previous games in the modern day.

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Fact.

I really love your posts pirate1802. You could probably win any debate AC related. :)

:D Thanks but those guys would be M or Shobhit :p Or Lightrey back in the days. :p

SpiritMuse
11-14-2014, 09:56 AM
So how do we know that the MD haters weren't, in fact, the vocal minority?

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 09:59 AM
So how do we know that the MD haters weren't, in fact, the vocal minority?

By what happened to the MD.

king-hailz
11-14-2014, 10:02 AM
In it's present castrated form yes. :) Because a lot of em asked em to do so.

There are a hundred reasons why people don't like MD, not just because it was poorly executed. For example, those who like CoD as it is, would they prefer if the single player involves huuge branching storyline and the best RPG elements evaar? Nope! They wouldn't care. No matter how engaging it is. That's not why they buy CoDs for, and this is not why I buy AC for.

http://rs1img.memecdn.com/mission-impossibru_o_208688.jpg

So did you enjoy the last battle with modern day guards fighting like medieval italians using funny swords? :) That's exactly the kind of **** that makes me roll my eyes at the so-called awesome modern day.

Once again, you're simplifying things too much brah.

If the can now have planes shooting machine guns at you and you shooting machine guns... I'm sure they can use this engine...

Just imagine 5 or 6 guard's with assault rifles... and you are behind cover... you can just chuck a smoke bomb at them and slash them with your hidden blade... or shoot them with the free aim feature...

If they can't do something like that in modern day ever! Then that means they can NEVER go to the 19th/20th century.... (even though I don't want that)...

pirate1802
11-14-2014, 10:14 AM
If the can now have planes shooting machine guns at you and you shooting machine guns... I'm sure they can use this engine...

Just imagine 5 or 6 guard's with assault rifles... and you are behind cover... you can just chuck a smoke bomb at them and slash them with your hidden blade... or shoot them with the free aim feature...

If they can't do something like that in modern day ever! Then that means they can NEVER go to the 19th/20th century.... (even though I don't want that)...

Yeah I can imagine.....and have done that countless times in other games. I'd play them if I have to do such a thing. I don't play AC to do this. I play to walk around in Florence, Constantinople and Havana; smell the fragrant air and watch citizenry go about their business oblivious of me.

And please, don't even mention hidden blade in modern times. Not only in the comics did they mention that hidden blades are by and large an ornament in these days (which was conveniently forgotten in the games) but someone fighting with blades in modern times sounds like a lame idea and looks worse. Donno why people have this obsession with modern assassins acting like their ancient counterparts. Seen Hitman? That'd be how a modern day assassin would be. He'd blow people's heads apard from the roof next block than throw smoke bombs from near and fight with blades lol.

Btw, Those time warp mission thingies are super lame, linear as hell, so I'd suggest not comparing them to a full blown modern day experience

shobhit7777777
11-14-2014, 10:51 AM

Or maybe Splinter Cell Blacklist in which you do EXACTLY THAT.

Kaaedus
11-14-2014, 02:18 PM
MD is just a framing device, it's a good framing device admittedly; but at the end of the day it's just that. Same as other framing devices. The problem is that this framing device got too complex for its own good. Suppose there's a story about a man reading his grandfather's journal; about his experiences in the second world war. And you have the guy wandering about and doing random nonsense in present day instead of actually reading the book and starting the real story. That's what MD felt like before, atleast to me. Now I can atleast skip ahead to the meat of the story without diverting my time with nonsense missions.

Also there's nothing ordinary about 'just another historical action adventure game'. How common are they, outside AC and strategy genres? You can count them on your fingers. On the contrary, there have been plenty, plenty, plenty modern day stealth games or modern sandbox games. (seeming that's what MD supporters want MD to look like.)

I do agree that the MD narrative became too complex. Desmond's story grew from 3 games to 5 games, and in those additional games they felt they had to introduce further plot twists. Lucy's death and the reveal in the following game that she was actually a double-agent for example. I suspect that's part of the issue that they're facing now: where to go without introducing more complexity and thereby making that part of the storyline more impenetrable to newcomers to the series. And there's no easy solution truth be told. I suppose it's ultimately just a perspective thing. From the beginning, I considered the modern day setting to be the real story and the historical storylines to be a means to an end in the overarching modern day story. You and many others had a different perspective, and that's fine. Clearly the market agrees with you. :) That said, I don't want a modern day sandbox. I was fine with the approach AC3 took. There was progression in the form of a linear mission here and there, but you were back in the animus in fairly quick order.

Touche. I do play strategy games, so admittedly that likely colored my perspective. The Total War series is glorious. But that's a completely different topic.

So did you enjoy the last battle with modern day guards fighting like medieval italians using funny swords? That's exactly the kind of **** that makes me roll my eyes at the so-called awesome modern day.

Yeah... That was poorly executed to say the least...

RinoTheBouncer
11-14-2014, 02:20 PM
YES. I want a good modern day. It feels like the more AC games we get, the more we feel like the past ones were better. Iím sorry, but in terms of modern day, everything before ACU and Rogue was better.

Kaaedus
11-14-2014, 02:25 PM
YES. I want a good modern day. It feels like the more AC games we get, the more we feel like the past ones were better. Iím sorry, but in terms of modern day, everything before ACU and Rogue was better.

I found BF to be lacking. There was little to no real progression made.

Journey93
11-14-2014, 02:29 PM
A good Modern Day is what everyone should want because it connected the different games and gave them purpose in the overall
storyline
With Unity its basically Arno's random Adventures whatever happened to the Apple of Eden etc.?

RinoTheBouncer
11-14-2014, 02:57 PM
I found BF to be lacking. There was little to no real progression made.

It was lacking, yes, definitely but at least not as lacking as ACU. I mean the ending of ACU was basically like “Oh, the corpse of the sage is just not enough to take samples. We’ll contact you if we need anything” Oh yeah, that’s genuine. And what about Juno? there was absolutely NO progress to her story.

I loved ACU and I was ready to give it 10/10 but the ending destroyed that for me.

A good Modern Day is what everyone should want because it connected the different games and gave them purpose in the overall
storyline
With Unity its basically Arno's random Adventures whatever happened to the Apple of Eden etc.?

Agreeeeeeeeed.
Even the Sword of Eden in ACU was just not explained. It was nothing different from a magical sword that you unlock after beating the game. No First Civ. “Temple” to enter, no progress about Juno, no story behind the sword. Even the Time Anomalies, they were really nice but they had nothing to tell. I was hoping there would be something to understand out of them. Maybe like Juno triggering them or showing us events like De Molay’s burning at the start, but no it was just a run through to show Paris in different times.

When the modern day lady talked about Project Phoenix, I was excited that in the end, we can get an “anomaly” or something that shows us First Civ. times, but that two was cut short.

ParabolicDreams
11-14-2014, 03:22 PM
Keep it like it is now or AC 4, and (eventually) make the setting modern day.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Lol "a good modern day"

Such an ambiguous option.

But something Ubi won't likely ever achieve.

Zamrod
11-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Please bring back MD. I play these games FOR the overall story. I want to know what happens in the future. Did Desmond really save everyone or not? What happened to Juno?

To me, AC has always been about the MD story. The Animus has been a means to an end to find out more about the real plot of the game and move it forward.

I haven't made it too far into Unity yet, but from everything I hear it barely advances the plot at all. Which really disappoints me.

MrHandsss
11-14-2014, 05:10 PM
many, MANY times I've said this and I will continue to.

I DON'T want to be some nameless, voiceless, faceless self-insert walking camera anymore. I HATE that.

Ubisoft royally ****ed up by killing desmond and making it so that anyone could just access his or anyone's genetic memories thanks to magical cloud power. It was better when it was about one person with the power to do all this and it was up to them to solve the conflict.

And yes, modern day IS needed or else there is literally zero point to reliving the past other than seeing what happened (for fun). there needs to be conflict and a stronger reason.

RinoTheBouncer
11-14-2014, 05:28 PM
many, MANY times I've said this and I will continue to.

I DON'T want to be some nameless, voiceless, faceless self-insert walking camera anymore. I HATE that.

Ubisoft royally ****ed up by killing desmond and making it so that anyone could just access his or anyone's genetic memories thanks to magical cloud power. It was better when it was about one person with the power to do all this and it was up to them to solve the conflict.

And yes, modern day IS needed or else there is literally zero point to reliving the past other than seeing what happened (for fun). there needs to be conflict and a stronger reason.

Please bring back MD. I play these games FOR the overall story. I want to know what happens in the future. Did Desmond really save everyone or not? What happened to Juno?

To me, AC has always been about the MD story. The Animus has been a means to an end to find out more about the real plot of the game and move it forward.

I haven't made it too far into Unity yet, but from everything I hear it barely advances the plot at all. Which really disappoints me.

I give those two posts a medal. Thank you.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Modern day is like an annoying sibling.

You hate when they're around but if they spontaneously vanished you'd be worried and eventually mourn.

RinoTheBouncer
11-14-2014, 05:40 PM
Modern day is like an annoying sibling.

You hate when they're around but if they spontaneously vanished you'd be worried and eventually mourn.

I was never really annoyed by it. I adored every bit of it in ACI, ACII, AC:B, AC:R (and The Lost Archive), ACIII, and now that there isn’t any modern day in ACU, I’m mourning for ACIV, at least it had something.

JustPlainQuirky
11-14-2014, 05:41 PM
I liked Modern Day in brotherhood but that's about it.

Rugterwyper32
11-14-2014, 06:17 PM

So do it!

Seem here's the thing: A modern day that makes everyone happy is incredibly subjective. Incredibly so. And that "making it good so people like it" sounds like Youtube integrating Google+, truthfully. And I can safely say, it's been the complete opposite.
I can truthfully say that my experience with AC2 was entirely the opposite: I had been happy that the game hadn't stopped me from the historical part for the most part, and I just groaned when I got thrown into modern day after sequence 6. Nevermind that in terms of plot, AC2 barely advanced anything at all. It was meant to be the middle part of the trilogy, where everything escalates noticeably, yet not much at all happens. Frankly, based on AC2, I couldn't see conceivably any way that they could resolve the storyline in 3 games. Not only was it gonna turn into a mess, my interest had already died the moment they decided to go Giorgio Tsoukalos on us and decided to turn it into an epic story rather than keep it as something more mysterious. Even with the "Lucy is a templar" explanation, it doesn't reduce how ridiculous the fighting guards in modern day AC2 was. And then in AC3 is just gets so out of hand it's absurd. Guards aiming and shooting like 18th century soldiers? The Abstergo building being as easy to go through as it is? Frankly, considering Abstergo's funds, it surprises me they even need guards, they could probably have turrets that tear you to shreds the moment you get into anywhere there.
As Pirate mention, a proper modern day would go in entirely another direction: It would make it more generic rather than less. For all the complaints I saw about AC4 modern day, I found it to be my favorite since AC1. The main problem I see, however, is that they worked with that attempt at an urgent and "epic" modern day, ended up by stopping a solar flame and freeing a powerful ancient being and it had grown so out of control that now that they've returned to the slower paced, more mysterious style, it feels entirely out of place because AC2, B, R and AC3 created such a mess. And even though I more or less enjoy AC4's style, frankly, the reason I play this series and always have is because of the historical part which, as pirate said:

Also there's nothing ordinary about 'just another historical action adventure game'. How common are they, outside AC and strategy genres? You can count them on your fingers.

That is exactly the thing here. Frankly, if there were more along those lines, I frankly wouldn't have made as many posts in the "future AC titles" topic back when it still lived, let me tell you. And I'm still surprised to this day about that fact, you would think that we'd have a bunch of clones of this series seeing how popular it is.

DavisP92
11-14-2014, 06:42 PM
If done right, then sure. However, they've somewhat shown that they can't do it right. So I voted just take Modern day out completely and focus on what the majority of the game takes place in. But if the do make a good modern day story then cool

NelonJay
11-14-2014, 07:32 PM
The Desmond saga was cool, but I for one like the way it is now. The player is Desmond now, instead of just controlling a character who is reliving his ancestor's past. I find this first-person perspective an enjoyable change as it encourages greater investigation into the activities and motives of both Templar and Assassin organizations. With Black Flag and Rogue, at least, the player gets to enter the game as an objective and slightly ignorant employee of Abstergo. As the game goes on, the player discovers that they are now a pawn in a much larger game and their survival is dependent on continuing to be useful.

So, do your philosophies align with the Assassins or the Templars? Are you continuing to enter the animus to prove your worth, or hinder their efforts and find a means of escape?

If you've played all of the games thus far, you'll likely have a bias towards the Assassins. If you read the novels, especially Assassin's Creed: Forsaken by Oliver Bowden, you'll get a greater understanding of how little the two groups actually differ from one another.

pirate1802
11-15-2014, 07:39 AM
A good Modern Day is what everyone should want

Now now, don't go all nineteen eightyfour on me here brah.

Yoshack Fyre84
11-15-2014, 07:56 AM
I personally LOVED the "Modern Day" aspect of the games. Walking around Abstergo as a modern Assassin spy, it was awesome. I'm very much hoping that they included this in Rogue. I'm not even installing Rogue until I have finished Unity, so I won't know for quite a while.

Ghaleon80
11-15-2014, 11:27 AM
I like the Moden Day story Alot this new approach isn't bad just needs to be more of it than a few scenes. If they want to keep it as "Us" why not add gameplay segments from the First Person View, but add actual content not just hacking computers. Doing First Person View free running and Assassinations in Moden Day would be neat.

Also really hope they add the white room confessions back to the series and not this see memories stuff.

GolfPro72
11-15-2014, 11:30 AM
I guess given the choice I'd have a Modern Day scenario that was closer to what we got in ACII or Brotherhood. I wasn't much of a fan of the Revelations version of things, and I'm not far along enough in Unity to make the call just yet, although it doesn't look like there's any real Modern Day content. I'm not overly disappointed by this, but I must admit that I do sort of miss being able to play as Desmond in the earlier iterations.

RinoTheBouncer
11-15-2014, 01:00 PM
Hereís something about MD:

The MD in ACI was really amazing even though itís VERY simple and short, but it was a great beginning. It worked as some sort of an introductory level to a greater experience.

ACII added more to that when it made Desmond fight, move from one place to another, and there was some story progression regarding Desmondís Bleeding Effect and at the same time, setting the stage for an even bigger story, ending up with the amazing, jaw-dropping ending.

AC:B had actual gameplay in modern day and it was really beautiful. I loved seeing Desmond walk the footsteps of Ezio under the Villa Auditore and walk around Monteriggioni, master the Leap of Faith and eventually culminate in another jaw-dropping cliffhanger after exploring a beautifully-made First Civ. site.

AC:R had more of a cyber-space modern day as we never get to leave the Animus, only dive deeper into itís layers, it was still a very beautifully designed and a very story driven one. Desmondís Journey and The Lost Archive blew my mind with the amount of depth and emotions, not to mention the jaw-droopingly beautiful atmospheres that keeps me staring at the walls and the structures. It was FPS, yes, but it was so story driven and we knew the person whom weíre looking through his eyes is a real character, and not just an imaginary version of ďmeĒ. So even though I prefer 3rd person over FPS and an out-of-Animus experience instead of a cyberspace thing, AC:R did satisfy me, because it had a reason for everything and it had a meaning, a story, a protagonist with an identity and it progresses the story.

ACIII had one of the most remarkable modern day missions that I really hope theyíd stay like that and get even bigger (which sadly did not happen). It felt like Ubisoft were trying to introduce us to a game that is more focused on modern day, or at least with more advanced and expansive missions, but for some reason, that did not happen. Everything about ACIII and itís modern day was great, except for the ending which was horribly directed. But the missions did entertain me as well as the free roaming in the Grand Temple.

ACIV tried to be what ACI was to the franchise, but it didnít really work. ACIV modern day was too calm and irrelevant to follow an event so grand as the ACIII ending. It tried to be simplistic and more like an introductory level but it didnít work because most of the information there were optional so it felt like the modern day story is deliberately being made irrelevant and itís like someone who won many championships of Karate being told to learn the basics and fight beginners. It feels so simple and it focused a lot on old stories that enrich the general lore rather than progress the important story at hand which is Junoís promise to ďplay her roleĒ.

AC:Rogue had a promising start for a good modern day, but it eventually turned into another irrelevant story. Like what do we learn from the AC:Ro modern day? that the Templars wanna broadcast Shayís video to the Assassins to show make them jealous or something? excuse my sarcasm but it didnít really have much depth other than that. Juno, which is one of the most important, if not the most important thing in modern day has NEVER made an appearance. There was ZERO progress to her story and that was terribly disappointing.

AC:Unity has no modern day. I loved the game itself so much, but when it comes to the ending, it fell short, terribly. I was ready to be open minded about being always in the Helix and getting contacted by the Assassins, and we spent half of the game tracking Germain, talking about him being a Saga and how important he is, and also introducing us to Project Phoenix which aims to trace the DNA of the First Civ..etc. but that all didnít go anywhere. The ending basically said ďOh, the corpse isnít gonna be of any use to us, so weíll call you if we need anythingĒ. Seriously? I mean even though Iím addicted to the MD style of AI to ACIII but I was ready to open my mind and embrace the changes, but Iím sorry, the changes were terrible and towards the worse and honestly, even though I hated ACIVís modern day, it started looking so detailed and awesome in comparison to ACU and AC:Ro modern day.

No appearances for Juno, no progress to her story, and not even the slightest hints and links to the Saga being Aita or what he wants..etc. Just a few symbols floating over him and thatís it. So I personally wish we go back to the original style. Ubisoft could do it before, they can do it again. It doesnít have to be so deep and detailed, just something thatís there to keep everything connected. Give us a new MD protagonist. Maybe one in each new game who physically works with Shaun, Rebecca and the others. We could be in one complex or perhaps a really small district or even go out in short missions to get something or meet someone, maybe like Mirrorís Edge where we deliver stuff between two sides, avoiding surveillance and all. It wonít be very expensive and it will bring back the feeling of having a reason to use the Animus.

I love Assassinís Creed so much, but I totally hate the fact that weíre heading towards a video game console within a video game console idea. The fact that we were trapped at Abstergo Industries, being forced to be a test subjected and relive the memories of your ancestors was a lot more interesting than being a game tester or a player at home or working at some company who will make a movie out of your experience. At least when weíre physically present in modern day, we can have some epic cutscenes that take the story somewhere.

Please bring back the feeling that what we do in the Animus matters and progresses the story somewhere. Tie up old loose ends with convincing revelations and let us truly feel that the Assassins and Templars still exist today and both are fighting to change the world in their own ways, and let us see that from the perspective of someone who exists, not someone imaginary, that we should pretend to be, but rather a physical character who wants to make a difference and not just playing a game or testing a product and his stats are used by someone else for something, but rather someone working hard to change something. Let us take larger steps with the story each game rather than small baby steps, if any at all.

dxsxhxcx
11-15-2014, 01:09 PM
I'll never understand why many people consider ACB's MD the better one (at least from a gameplay POV), all we did was free roam in a lifeless Monteriggioni using Desmond' skin, even the final level (that was cool but) was no different than that... AC3 IMO did the correct approach but screwed up with the narrative and IMO tried too hard to emulate the experience provided by the historical segments of the game...

jellejackhammer
11-15-2014, 01:34 PM
Well the end of ac rogue's modern day was kind of fun. The scŤne in the credits i mean

Barlog06
11-15-2014, 01:44 PM
My favourite MD was in Brotherhood. I want it back!) In AC3 Ubisoft wanted to do more, but they failed, realization was not great. So, good MD for me shouldn't be very epic if it's not possible to do. It just should have nice characters, good plot and some nice locations like that Church in Brotherhood, or Ezio's Villa. Thats it.

Charles_Phipps
11-15-2014, 01:50 PM
AC:Rogue had a promising start for a good modern day, but it eventually turned into another irrelevant story. Like what do we learn from the AC:Ro modern day? that the Templars wanna broadcast Shay’s video to the Assassins to show make them jealous or something? excuse my sarcasm but it didn’t really have much depth other than that. Juno, which is one of the most important, if not the most important thing in modern day has NEVER made an appearance. There was ZERO progress to her story and that was terribly disappointing.

To be fair, Juno is such an obnoxious whiner I really hope the Templars just erase her from their servers.

:-)

RinoTheBouncer
11-15-2014, 04:16 PM
To be fair, Juno is such an obnoxious whiner I really hope the Templars just erase her from their servers.

:-)

That would be the most terrible way to conclude a story. Juno is a member of a civilization that surpassed mankind with everything. She’s been stuck in a weird high-tech computer for 75,000 years, I guess a character with such determination should at least be given a decent conclusion. I personally would love to see her possessing someone’s body, maybe Latetia England or Alan Rikkin and leading Abstergo which is controlling the world itself. It’s like doing so grants her power over the world on a golden plate.

FrankieSatt
11-15-2014, 04:29 PM
The modern day story line is what ties everything together. Without it you really just have "Half a game". They started the whole series with the "Modern Day" story line they need to continue to make it part of the game and it needs to be MUCH MORE than what they have done with it in the past 2 games.

RinoTheBouncer
11-15-2014, 04:32 PM
The modern day story line is what ties everything together. Without it you really just have "Half a game". They started the whole series with the "Modern Day" story line they need to continue to make it part of the game and it needs to be MUCH MORE than what they have done with it in the past 2 games.

Thank you, man. That’s the truth.

I’ve always said that the game was initially made to be split between modern day and historical and the idea that they’re turning the modern day to nothing more than someone playing on a console or reviewing memories to make movies is just terrible.