PDA

View Full Version : Sense of progression in Assassin's Creed series.

moonknight1302
11-13-2014, 02:45 PM
The major lack in Assassin's Creed games, before combat system, AI and stealth, is the sense of progression.
Let me explaine: all those armors and weapons are useless because every main character have all skills unlocked at the beginning of the game. It's a completely no sense to see Ezio doing a counter attack because he is a young boy without any kind of training. The same for Edward, and for Arno. Why Edward can use hidden blades without training? Why Arno has so much skills in parkour and in leap of faith if he is not an Assassin yet?

Ubisoft, why you don't make those skills in combat and parkour unlockable through a very deep skill tree, like an RPG?

Vaard
11-13-2014, 03:36 PM
I am glad I dont have to level up the basic skills each game. The game is repetitive enough without having to relearn the basics each time......

moonknight1302
11-13-2014, 03:49 PM
I am glad I dont have to level up the basic skills each game. The game is repetitive enough without having to relearn the basics each time......

Even if this is inconsistent with the plot?
If you have all abilities (or most of them) unlocked at the beginning of the game, the game itself result flat.

The_D0lph1n
11-14-2014, 05:00 AM
I also feel it is weird that you can freerun, do leaps of faith, use hidden blades, and all that before becoming an Assassin story-wise, particularly in AC4. But the thing is that you would have to block off the open world until you completed your training which would mean a very long, completely linear section that doesn't play like Assassin's Creed since it isn't until normally Sequence 3 that you become an assassin. So for the first hour or 2, you would be completely on rails or you would be unable to do the things you expect to be able to do in an AC game. Then people will start the game, try to freerun, and then complain that you can't freerun and that the game is broken.

But on that note, Unity has something like a progression system where completing story missions gives you points with which to unlock more skills.