PDA

View Full Version : I actually need an app to open in-game chests? Whose idea was this?

SaphironX
11-13-2014, 03:57 AM
I don't know whose making the decisions over there, but I hope you guys are watching these forums and seeing how angry people are. We like your products, but come on, all the issues and on top of that you content lock in game chests to make us sign up for your other services? I have a uplay account so whatever, but others may not choose to, and I have an iphone for work, but I'll NEVER download an app on my business phone to open in-game chests. And uplay is having issues, so I guess those chests are off limits too?

You're driving away your business. I'm going to shelve this one for a week or two and see where it goes, but speaking as a long time fan, I'm pretty annoyed at your attempts to further "monetize" my choice to buy your product... you have our money, make the experience fun, not frustrating.

Thanks.

Edit: Also, come on guys, stuff like initiates and apps should be extra, fun and supplementary, not required.

TwentyGlyphs
11-13-2014, 04:09 AM
I gets even better. Those of us who tried out the app before logging into Uplay in Unity are completely locked out of using the exclusive in-app Nomad Brotherhood missions that actually unlock the content in Unity, leaving us with a 660MB glorified map application on our devices and locked chests in Unity.

SaphironX
11-13-2014, 04:12 AM
Well hopefully they'll see how bad an idea it is and just unlock everything in game... I don't need 6 damn ubisoft services to play the game I purchased. A controller will be good, I can deal with uplay, nothing else.

JustPlainQuirky
11-13-2014, 04:18 AM
Yeah it sucks.

Wulfwin
11-13-2014, 04:20 AM
I gets even better. Those of us who tried out the app before logging into Uplay in Unity are completely locked out of using the exclusive in-app Nomad Brotherhood missions that actually unlock the content in Unity, leaving us with a 660MB glorified map application on our devices and locked chests in Unity.

Actually, it's not just you guys. I didn't play the app at all before release (downloaded it about an hour later), and I've never had access to the Nomad Brotherhood missions.

prideaux
11-13-2014, 06:32 AM
first I come across a chest I cant open because I need to be level 4 in some online thing (that isnt explained), THEN i come across two chests I cant open because I need to have a companion app.

I guess I should be thankful for two reasons /sarcasm
1) they put some chests you can open from within the game, by you know actually playing the game
2) they made a Windows Phone version. That surprised me big time.

sarcasm aside
such a stupid bloody lame idea, everything about this game from the moment you log in is about upselling and making $$$$

TwentyGlyphs
11-13-2014, 07:43 AM
The most unforgivable part is that these things don't even work in time for the launch. It's annoying as heck to lock the costumes that everyone wants behind these other services, but when they don't even work now it's just locked period. If they were working, a lot of people would think it was annoying and stupid, but many would still do the required stuff to unlock the content.

It's just so amateurish. I still can't believe their companion app is rendered useless for so many people. You'd think a bug that widespread with such a common sequence of events likely triggering it would be caught with just the minimum amount of competent testing. Guess competent would be a loaded word in this instance.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-13-2014, 04:51 PM
you content lock in game chests to make us sign up for your other services? I have a uplay account so whatever, but others may not choose to, and I have an iphone for work, but I'll NEVER download an app on my business phone to open in-game chests.

Don't worry - they don't work anyway. If you get a message that a chest is openable in Unity, you go to it and 90% of the time you can't open it because the game and the app can't seem to synch up.

It's like so much stuff in Unity - incompetence rules.

And here I was thinking AC3 had to be the buggiest AC game ever released - I thought it was just a one-off error. But with Unity, Ubisoft have opened my eyes to a potential future full of half-baked releases.

D.I.D.
11-13-2014, 05:10 PM
I played the app before release, and thankfully my app still works - nothing got deleted, and I didn't get hit by the app-breaking bug.

However, the chests are an irritation even if you own the app. I've done dozens of Nomad missions, so I thought I'd highlight some chests on the map and go and open them.

"Complete Nomad missions to open this chest."

Okay... but, how many? Or is it a particular mission I need to do for each chest? Maybe I need to unlock more Nomad points on landmarks, beyond the tutorial landmark I've already opened?

So off I go, doing more Nomad missions in the app, unlocking another landmark, finding the glyphs in the app, more Nomad missions, more story missions. Oh hey, let's go back and get a chest. Let's pick one right by the tutorial landmark, in case they're district-related.

"Complete Nomad missions to open this chest."

Okaaaaay...

And you just think, how about I forget all about this, since it's more trouble than it's worth? Could the app or the map not have told me this chest was still locked to me before I traipsed all the way over here to try and open it?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-13-2014, 06:13 PM
Could the app or the map not have told me this chest was still locked to me before I traipsed all the way over here to try and open it? If the app says it's open, it gives you 24 hours to get there before it locks up again (I think). Then it gives you the option to mark it (which does nothing). Then you're supposed to go to it in Unity and it's supposed to open (which it doesn't). Perhaps the developers at Ubisoft are trying some kind of experimental absurdist game design.

DrStrange-Mystic
11-13-2014, 06:41 PM
[QUOTE=Pr0metheus 1962;10333159]If the app says it's open, it gives you 24 hours to get there before it locks up again (I think). Then it gives you the option to mark it (which does nothing). Then you're supposed to go to it in Unity and it's supposed to open (which it doesn't). Perhaps the developers at Ubisoft are trying some kind of experimental absurdist game design.[/QUOTE

Apart from the many technical issues in the game, I am unsure i would have bought it if I had known that you also needed to use a phone app to open in game content, Really silly move. I suppose there are also some micro transactions involved or you need to pay for the app?

I was prepared to ignore the micro transactions in game - a shameful practice but hardly new. Even back in the 80's certain companies would offer a premium rate number to ring to get "cheat codes" and "walk-throughs" (Good old EA. They have been pioneers in so many ways and one cannot be surprised when a company like Ubi attempt to emulate/follow in their footsteps) - however, this move is frankly just stupid.

I am aware that Ubi's share price has dropped by 12.5 % so far. One cannot help but wonder how this will impact the decisions of people like me before buy anything from them the future? It has, sadly, made me very hesitant.

I am, unsure what Ubi can do to regain my trust or if indeed they can do anything. But then, it seems that Bioware has managed to redeem its self after DO 2 and the ending, and other things, of ME3 so perhaps there is hope.

To their credit they have at least not attempted to censor the forums - even if they did at least appear to censor timely reviews

umberwolf
11-13-2014, 06:53 PM
I am very disappointed with needing an app.

I don't have a smartphone or tablet. Tell me Ubi, how are you going to let me play this content?
I gave you money for a game I cannot completely finish. Shame on you.

There needs to be a statement in the requirements a smartphone or tablet is necessary for playing to completion.
You have effectively ruined my favorite franchise. Nice going.

D.I.D.
11-13-2014, 06:57 PM
I suppose there are also some micro transactions involved or you need to pay for the app?

The app is free for its basic mode (map, nomad missions with a certain number of assassin slots, database entries]. There's a small fee for the premium version, which unlocks more content. It's really beautifully made, I have to say. The designers did a great job of the look and the UI. Unfortunately it's had a few backend issues, and the Premium "buy" button is simply not working for a lot of us, so we can't pay Ubisoft for the app anyway!

Sushiglutton
11-13-2014, 07:02 PM
No passionate gamer would ever in a million years come up with an idiotic idea like this. This decision has to come from some business-muppet who thinks smartphones are kewl.

lsgnobody
11-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Agreed. While the companion app on ACIV would save me the trouble of accessing kenway's fleet through the ship, I didn't really need it for anything. And those kenway fleet missions, in my humble opinion, were not fun nor added anything interesting to the series. I did them, painfully, to get the rewards.

Now, there is no other way of opening those chests other than using the app. As expected and just like last year's release, uplay, companion app, acinitiates and online features are a mess. One would think they'd learn from the experience... but here we are again going through the same stuff. Honestly? It's not worth the trouble. The one way to get money without playing through excrutiatingly broken missions, in app messes or tiresome coop missions is - guess - by purchasing hacks with real money.

Really? And here I was all excited with new game mechanics and all. Completely not worth it. I'm droping this series for good... And it's a shame.

D.I.D.
11-13-2014, 07:15 PM
No passionate gamer would ever in a million years come up with an idiotic idea like this. This decision has to come from some 50 years old business-muppet who thinks smartphones are kewl.

Yeah. Smartphones? Tablets? They'll never catch on ;)

Seriously, it's a good idea in principle, but in practice it not quite workable for most people. It burns through battery when in use, because you've got animated graphics on screen, you're keeping the screen on, and you're maintaining a wifi link (plus using sound, if you don't mute it) - all the things that eat power.

Given the common problems with UPlay server connection issues (dropped connections, store not working, etc), all a mobile app does is to double those problems and highlight them.

DrStrange-Mystic
11-13-2014, 07:15 PM
The app is free for its basic mode (map, nomad missions with a certain number of assassin slots, database entries]. There's a small fee for the premium version, which unlocks more content. It's really beautifully made, I have to say. The designers did a great job of the look and the UI. Unfortunately it's had a few backend issues, and the Premium "buy" button is simply not working for a lot of us, so we can't pay Ubisoft for the app anyway!

Thank you for your reply. I suspected some sort of transaction might be involved. Following your description I will at least check out what it looks like and its design - although unlikely to use it. I am not a fan of mobile games - well apart from things like BG2 and a few other good quality RPGs

However, I am sorry, if you wish to use it. it is not working and hope it is fixed promptly

Pr0metheus 1962
11-13-2014, 07:16 PM
No passionate gamer would ever in a million years come up with an idiotic idea like this. This decision has to come from some 50 years old business-muppet who thinks smartphones are kewl.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to link with a smartphone app (and the decision to release too early) came from a guy in a suit whose daddy paid for his MBA. Sadly, game developers don't usually call the shots in these global corporations, and the money guys don't get that gamers respond poorly when they feel they've been handed a half-baked product.

I expect AC: Unity will be in the $30 range in a few weeks, and in the bargain bin shortly after that (unless, of course, Ubisoft pulls its finger out and gets a lot of the problems fixed). Then the suits might get the message, but only if it significantly affects their bottom line.

STDlyMcStudpants
11-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the decision to link with a smartphone app (and the decision to release too early) came from a guy in a suit whose daddy paid for his MBA. Sadly, game developers don't usually call the shots in these global corporations, and the money guys don't get that gamers respond poorly when they feel they've been handed a half-baked product.

I expect AC: Unity will be in the $30 range in a few weeks, and in the bargain bin shortly after that (unless, of course, Ubisoft pulls its finger out and gets a lot of the problems fixed). Then the suits might get the message, but only if it significantly affects their bottom line.
By he end of the month Unity is projected to be at $35 and Rogue at $25

DrStrange-Mystic
11-13-2014, 07:20 PM
This decision has to come from some 50 years old business-muppet who thinks smartphones are kewl.

There are quiet a few 50 year old gamers who would not think it was "kewl" and would not be keen on the idea. I smell a 20 year old marketing exec myself :)

Sushiglutton
11-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Yeah. Smartphones? Tablets? They'll never catch on ;)

Seriously, it's a good idea in principle, but in practice it not quite workable for most people. It burns through battery when in use, because you've got animated graphics on screen, you're keeping the screen on, and you're maintaining a wifi link (plus using sound, if you don't mute it) - all the things that eat power.

Given the common problems with UPlay server connection issues (dropped connections, store not working, etc), all a mobile app does is to double those problems and highlight them.

Smartphones are awesome! Locking out content from a game that can only be accessed by using an app is moronic though and Ubi should have known better.

There are quiet a few 50 year old gamers who would not think it was "kewl" and would not be keen on the idea. I smell a 20 year old marketing exec myself :)

Apologize, I will edit out the age of my post :D!

UncappedWheel82
11-13-2014, 07:25 PM

What's the extra content that you get with the premium version? is it just boosters or something?

SenseHomunculus
11-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Has anyone had the Initiates progress erased too? I was like level 20-something last time I played AC4 a few months ago, and when I connected via Unity, I'm level 1 again.

SenseHomunculus
11-13-2014, 07:27 PM

Haha I thought the same thing...

D.I.D.
11-13-2014, 07:32 PM
What's the extra content that you get with the premium version? is it just boosters or something?

You get heatmaps for missions, so you can see where more or fewer people went for their attack routes. It also records deaths and conflicts, so if you see a ton of light in one area then you'll know that's a risky area. Shows sync points in co-op missions too.

Unlocks 4 exclusive assassins in the Nomad list (inessential, since you could "buy" similar spec assassins with in-game points and train them up).

Exclusive database entries, more Nomad recruitment slots, exclusive music, exclusive concept art. I think I saw someone saying that it unlocks an Altair legacy armour for Unity too, but I'm not sure. That's not mentioned in the app perks, anyway.

Has anyone had the Initiates progress erased too? I was like level 20-something last time I played AC4 a few months ago, and when I connected via Unity, I'm level 1 again.

Admin said earlier that they're in the process of restoring data. At the moment, I've got some games recorded and not others, although my UPlay shows I've played all of the games. I guess they're doing some kind of database migration.