PDA

View Full Version : For Everyone Trying To Start A New Game or Have Multiple Saves [SOLUTION]

GrungePunk
11-12-2014, 06:46 AM
So I played through the whole intro to the game up to the Ubisoft Presents part and it was extremely choppy the whole time. After fiddling with some settings and restarting the game client I was able to get the framerate to smooth out. After I figured out how to get the game to run smoothly I wanted to start over from the beginning. I was also recording a Let's Play so I wanted to start over and have the game move fluidly from memory to memory without having to go back and replay memories. After hours of trying to figure out why you couldn't Start a New Game from the Menu or why Ubisoft didn't give us multiple save slots (because they don't want your brother or sister to be able to play your copy. They want them to have to buy their own copy just to have their own playthrough.) I finally found a way to start a new game and also a way to allow multiple saves while using Uplay.

Part of the problem with just finding the save files and deleting them (they are located in the Ubisoft Game Launcher folder wherever you installed Uplay) is that your save games are backed up to the Uplay cloud and whenever you try to delete them and relaunch the game they are automatically restored to your computer with no option not to use the cloud's save files and start from scratch. So in order to start a fresh game you must do the following.

UPDATE! Steps 2, 3, 7, and 8 should be able to be skipped if you simply disable cloud backups of saves inside Uplay. Thanks kctay and Monkey_D__Luffy for letting me know that it was even possible to do it as I had no clue.

1. Open Uplay and Login
2. Disconnect your network/ethernet device that's connecting you to the internet.
3. Once you are disconnected from the internet Uplay should say something about losing connection and how it will automatically reconnect to Uplay upon regaining internet connection. DO NOT CLICK GO OFFLINE!
4. Go to your save game location. By default it's probably something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\*randomstringofcharacters*\720\
5. Delete every single save in the folder
6. Click play in Uplay for Assassin's Creed Unity
7. Some windows will pop up saying they can't access achievements and the cloud saves. On both windows just click "Skip" or something similar.
8. Now quickly re-enable or plugin your network adapter while the splash screen is showing.
9. Play your game from the start (it will start with the Helix intro like it did the first time) and then quit out when you're done playing. Just make sure the game has saved at least once before you do.
10. Now relaunch the game and it will say your local and cloud saves are out of sync and it will ask you which save version you want to keep. Check the circle for "Local" and click continue.

Now whenever you play you will have that new game you started as your save game. It will overwrite the version you had backed up to the cloud with the new game you just started after choosing local and clicking continue or accept or whatever.

Now to make multiple save slots all you have to do is follow those steps but instead of deleting the saves, move them to a different folder on your hard drive to back them up. Maybe put them in a folder on your desktop named "ACUsave1". Every time you want to play that playthrough all you have to do is backup the current save located in the folder in step 4 to a different backup folder like "ACUsave2" and then go to "ACUsave1" and copy the files into the folder in step 4 overwriting the files there. Then disconnect the internet, launch the game, and then plug the internet back in. You can then play that save game and then when you are done copy the saves out of the folder in step 4 and paste them over the saves in the their backup folder. Copy the files in "ACUsave1" back in to the folder in step 4 overwriting the files and disconnect the internet, launch the game, reconnect the internet and you're back to playing your first playthrough. Obviously every time you start a new playthrough you must follow the steps above except when you get to step 5 backup the files instead of deleting them. You can do this as many times as you want. Technically you could have an infinite number of save games. You don't have to stop at 3. I hope this helps.

I realize the multiple save workaround is a bit confusing. It's rather unfortunate that Ubisoft didn't see fit to include the ability to Start A New Game or Have Multiple Saves per copy. Not sure about why you can't start a new game or why it's so hard when every game I've ever played usually has the option to start a new game and overwrite your old one directly at the top of the main menu or right below "Continue". I get that the reason they won't allow us to have multiple saves is because that one $65 dollar copy with three saves could be used by three people and by disabling the ability to have multiple saves they basically ensure that those three people have to spend $195 on 3 copies of the game just to have their own save files and playthroughs. I personally think a business model like that is pretty dang low though. It's bad enough that they have added an in game currency to a mostly single player game, a season pass that costs $30 dollars, day one DLC, and they seem to be producing AC games so quickly we're getting 2 or 3 a year that are just reskins of previous games that they're making simply as a quick cash grab. Basically it seems like everything Ubisoft does they do for money and while everything in this world is done for money it's sad that they are so obvious about how greedy and money hungry they are to the point where their customers end up suffering from their money making tactics and anti-piracy methods. Heck, I can guarantee that the people who did pirate this game had a much easier time starting a new game because they didn't have to deal with Uplay cloud backups of the saves automatically restoring when they deleted the old saves. I'm not condoning piracy but why should we be punished for buying the game while others benefit from basically stealing it?

Please Ubisoft. You have our money. Don't make me and others regret giving it to you. Add the ability to start a new game to the menu at the very least. Multiple saves would be nice but at the very least we should be able to overwrite our previous game and start a new one without having to go through such a hassle. It literally took me hours just to formulate this workaround not to mention the time it took to write this post so others could use it and I shouldn't have had to waste all that time just to start a new game after paying $65 dollars for the game after sales tax. You're punishing us for buying your product and that's bad for business. Fix it or this will be the last Ubisoft game I spend money on. :mad:

Oh and if you're hiring for tech support positions then please consider this my resume. ;)

Also until you guys are able to implement these things into the game you might want to make this post a sticky so people can see it right away when accessing the forum instead of having to dig through the posts looking for it forever.

kctay
11-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Can't you just uncheck the "sync with cloud" option in Uplay settings?

x___Luffy___x
11-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Can't you just uncheck the "sync with cloud" option in Uplay settings?

yup you can do that too. i always disable cloud save and regularly make copies of my saves.
learned a lesson a while back with black flag.

NobertoJunior
11-12-2014, 03:18 PM
So I played through the whole intro to the game up to the Ubisoft Presents part and it was extremely choppy the whole time. After fiddling with some settings and restarting the game client I was able to get the framerate to smooth out. After I figured out how to get the game to run smoothly I wanted to start over from the beginning. I was also recording a Let's Play so I wanted to start over and have the game move fluidly from memory to memory without having to go back and replay memories. After hours of trying to figure out why you couldn't Start a New Game from the Menu or why Ubisoft didn't give us multiple save slots (because they don't want your brother or sister to be able to play your copy. They want them to have to buy their own copy just to have their own playthrough.) I finally found a way to start a new game and also a way to allow multiple saves while using Uplay.

Part of the problem with just finding the save files and deleting them (they are located in the Ubisoft Game Launcher folder wherever you installed Uplay) is that your save games are backed up to the Uplay cloud and whenever you try to delete them and relaunch the game they are automatically restored to your computer with no option not to use the cloud's save files and start from scratch. So in order to start a fresh game you must do the following.

1. Open Uplay and Login
2. Disconnect your network/ethernet device that's connecting you to the internet.
3. Once you are disconnected from the internet Uplay should say something about losing connection and how it will automatically reconnect to Uplay upon regaining internet connection. DO NOT CLICK GO OFFLINE!
4. Go to your save game location. By default it's probably something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\*randomstringofcharacters*\720\
5. Delete every single save in the folder
6. Click play in Uplay for Assassin's Creed Unity
7. Some windows will pop up saying they can't access achievements and the cloud saves. On both windows just click "Skip" or something similar.
8. Now quickly re-enable or plugin your network adapter while the splash screen is showing.
9. Play your game from the start (it will start with the Helix intro like it did the first time) and then quit out when you're done playing. Just make sure the game has saved at least once before you do.
10. Now relaunch the game and it will say your local and cloud saves are out of sync and it will ask you which save version you want to keep. Check the circle for "Local" and click continue.

Now whenever you play you will have that new game you started as your save game. It will overwrite the version you had backed up to the cloud with the new game you just started after choosing local and clicking continue or accept or whatever.

Now to make multiple save slots all you have to do is follow those steps but instead of deleting the saves, move them to a different folder on your hard drive to back them up. Maybe put them in a folder on your desktop named "ACUsave1". Every time you want to play that playthrough all you have to do is backup the current save located in the folder in step 4 to a different backup folder like "ACUsave2" and then go to "ACUsave1" and copy the files into the folder in step 4 overwriting the files there. Then disconnect the internet, launch the game, and then plug the internet back in. You can then play that save game and then when you are done copy the saves out of the folder in step 4 and paste them over the saves in the their backup folder. Copy the files in "ACUsave1" back in to the folder in step 4 overwriting the files and disconnect the internet, launch the game, reconnect the internet and you're back to playing your first playthrough. Obviously every time you start a new playthrough you must follow the steps above except when you get to step 5 backup the files instead of deleting them. You can do this as many times as you want. Technically you could have an infinite number of save games. You don't have to stop at 3. I hope this helps.

I realize the multiple save workaround is a bit confusing. It's rather unfortunate that Ubisoft didn't see fit to include the ability to Start A New Game or Have Multiple Saves per copy. Not sure about why you can't start a new game or why it's so hard when every game I've ever played usually has the option to start a new game and overwrite your old one directly at the top of the main menu or right below "Continue". I get that the reason they won't allow us to have multiple saves is because that one $65 dollar copy with three saves could be used by three people and by disabling the ability to have multiple saves they basically ensure that those three people have to spend $195 on 3 copies of the game just to have their own save files and playthroughs. I personally think a business model like that is pretty dang low though. It's bad enough that they have added an in game currency to a mostly single player game, a season pass that costs $30 dollars, day one DLC, and they seem to be producing AC games so quickly we're getting 2 or 3 a year that are just reskins of previous games that they're making simply as a quick cash grab. Basically it seems like everything Ubisoft does they do for money and while everything in this world is done for money it's sad that they are so obvious about how greedy and money hungry they are to the point where their customers end up suffering from their money making tactics and anti-piracy methods. Heck, I can guarantee that the people who did pirate this game had a much easier time starting a new game because they didn't have to deal with Uplay cloud backups of the saves automatically restoring when they deleted the old saves. I'm not condoning piracy but why should we be punished for buying the game while others benefit from basically stealing it?

Please Ubisoft. You have our money. Don't make me and others regret giving it to you. Add the ability to start a new game to the menu at the very least. Multiple saves would be nice but at the very least we should be able to overwrite our previous game and start a new one without having to go through such a hassle. It literally took me hours just to formulate this workaround not to mention the time it took to write this post so others could use it and I shouldn't have had to waste all that time just to start a new game after paying $65 dollars for the game after sales tax. You're punishing us for buying your product and that's bad for business. Fix it or this will be the last Ubisoft game I spend money on. :mad:

Oh and if you're hiring for tech support positions then please consider this my resume. ;)

Also until you guys are able to implement these things into the game you might want to make this post a sticky so people can see it right away when accessing the forum instead of having to dig through the posts looking for it forever.

Thanks for the help! It Really works!! thatīs a shame Ubi do this with their players!!! you cant start a new game??? you cannot have other savegames??? man... all this for sell another game, so only 1 player per pc can play the campaign... My GOD... :mad::mad::mad:

Iīm copying this solution to Braziliam forum to another Brazilian buddies!! giving the credits to u by the link --> http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/947651-For-Everyone-Trying-To-Start-A-New-Game-or-Have-Multiple-Saves-SOLUTION :)

Thank you again man! Good Job!! and good job to u giving the simple hint to "Donīt use cloud from uplay"

timpbader
11-12-2014, 09:18 PM
You shouldn't have to hack your game to be able to start a new playthrough.

GrungePunk
11-13-2014, 07:29 AM
yup you can do that too. i always disable cloud save and regularly make copies of my saves.
learned a lesson a while back with black flag.

Crap! That would have been much easier had I figured it out that way. Thanks for letting me know it's possible to disable cloud syncing guys! That's a major help. Now I just need to figure out why I keep having pedestrians warping all over the place and groups of them either floating or falling through the ground while I run around and I'll be good to go with this game. As of right now though I'm tired of having people just pop up right in front of my character. Very poorly done.

GrungePunk
11-13-2014, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the help! It Really works!! thatīs a shame Ubi do this with their players!!! you cant start a new game??? you cannot have other savegames??? man... all this for sell another game, so only 1 player per pc can play the campaign... My GOD... :mad::mad::mad:

Iīm copying this solution to Braziliam forum to another Brazilian buddies!! giving the credits to u by the link --> http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/947651-For-Everyone-Trying-To-Start-A-New-Game-or-Have-Multiple-Saves-SOLUTION :)

Thank you again man! Good Job!! and good job to u giving the simple hint to "Donīt use cloud from uplay"

I'm glad my solution helped you. Makes all the time I took typing it up and editing it totally worth it. :) I hope it helps people on the Brazilian forum as well. Credit is not necessary though. Just happy I could help.

The_Echoside
11-13-2014, 07:59 PM
You shouldn't have to hack your game to be able to start a new playthrough.

i think they only did this because of how the co-op works

abhijeet222
11-14-2014, 03:02 PM
what happens to co-op if we do so?????

MentalHegemony
11-14-2014, 06:46 PM
You can, but it breaks your companion app if you are using it. Since it can't access the save file in the cloud, it freaks out and resets from the beginning. You have to resolve all the glyph puzzles and you won't be able to access any of your assassin's, and the option to go to the brotherhood to manage your assassin's (or add new ones) is grayed out. No way they are patching that as I don't believe the app itself is saved in the cloud, so anyone with that problem will eventually have to download a new companion app once patched, and restart from the beginning.

FriedrichLicht
11-15-2014, 12:37 AM
Can you do a Youtube tutorial? It would help ! Thanks

mindchap
03-03-2015, 05:55 AM
Thanks for this, it really would have helped me a few weeks ago, and I would just like to point out to anyone starting their very first playthrough USE THESE STEPS TO KEEP REGULAR BACKUPS OF YOUR SAVES, I'm currently stuck with a game that cannot be progressed because a crash during a load left my game useless, and I'm three weeks into waiting on support to do anything but say "we're aware of the problem". I long for the days when buying a game meant that it was yours, all we do now is rent them for 60 or 70 bucks and replay value has reached absolute zero, I still have old SNES and PS1 games that I play on a regular basis but those type games have fallen to greed.

strigoi1958
03-03-2015, 10:12 AM
I assumed we could just rename the 720 folder to 720a and it will start a new game when we restart as it will not see the saved folder 720.... If this is possible, then we can play to a certain point that we like and copy the 720 folder and rename it 720backup then every time we want to start again from that point we copy and paste 720backup but then rename it 720.

emailx45
03-04-2015, 03:51 PM
its easy using Winrar

1-create one profile for your backup to folders
My case Solo campain
MY DOCUMENTS
Assassins Creed

PROGRAMDATA
in 720 my user name in game

Using ALT+TAB (Windows)
before beggin the new mission I do my backup

IN YOUR CASE DO YOUR CHANGES

AND NEVER LOST YOUR SAVES

Bhozon_Higgs
12-01-2015, 10:43 PM
I assumed we could just rename the 720 folder to 720a and it will start a new game when we restart as it will not see the saved folder 720.... If this is possible, then we can play to a certain point that we like and copy the 720 folder and rename it 720backup then every time we want to start again from that point we copy and paste 720backup but then rename it 720.

You can even make custom descriptions this way. Alt Tab from the game, copy save folder (1875 in case of Syndicate; X:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\savegames\...) and name it for example 1875_fight_club. And Alt Tab back into London. Works great.

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
12-02-2015, 01:30 PM
This @ubisoft, you want us to pay 60$ for a game and yet not give an option to create a 2nd save, just a stupid move. for every post made here on forum, there'll be 100's of them who dont come over here and post the same exact problem. honestly people rather play something else instead of supporting this no multiple save non sense.

GhostAssassinLT
12-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Yes, they want you and your friend both paying $60 for the game. They don't want you paying $60 and then have your friend come over to your place and play it for free, hence only one save slot. You can allways go back to any memory and replay it differently or you can manually delete/rename your save so the game will start over, so in a way you have plenty of save slots as it is now...

All you can do about it is to bend over and take it like a man, cause I can't see them changing it... :cool:

Rohith_Kumar_Sp
12-02-2015, 07:32 PM
Yes, they want you and your friend both paying $60 for the game. They don't want you paying $60 and then have your friend come over to your place and play it for free, hence only one save slot. You can allways go back to any memory and replay it differently or you can manually delete/rename your save so the game will start over, so in a way you have plenty of save slots as it is now...

All you can do about it is to bend over and take it like a man, cause I can't see them changing it... :cool:

yeah,sure because that's what everyone does, buys a game and calls a friend over to play the game in their house instead. no wonder they are punishing honest games for what pirates do. '
PS that's the most stupidest thing ever i heard today, oh well, atleast samurai jack got renewed for season 5.