PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feel the same about Unity?

K3N16
11-12-2014, 06:33 AM
Customization and new parkour system are amazing, praise on that! But don't change the game to a multiplayer focused rpg. My greatest disappointment was the lack of choice in combat. Parrying in other games was awesome as you could kill the person the way you wanted to, now it's linear and somewhat boring. But above all BRING BACK THE WEAPON WHEEL, hidden blade combat, and hand to hand combat. Those are key elements and I don't see a problem of including them in this new system. For example having a main weapon (long, heavy, sword, or musket) but also having the classic hand to hand and the hidden blade and tools (like ac black flag). The type of combat from ac 2 to ac black flag was amazing and it gave a lot of freedom. We can't do a long range double execution anymore, now you press the x button until you can drain the enemies' life. Please bring Back the classic combat. It was fun, addicting, and if you knew how to time things well, you could defeat an army: a task an Assassin should be able to pull off. Unity is good, but if you want to incorporate those elements (xp points, only one weapon, having an assassin that needs to learn how to sit on a bench, etc.) do it solely for a co op mode, not tied into the single player. Look back into brotherhood and ac 2. Please Ubisoft do not try to innovate by demolishing the building blocks of the franchise, statistically games that "innovated" in their franchise are those that get major awards, but no body buys them. Sometimes sticking to certain elements is good, don't change just improve. (You wouldn't change the tradition of pulling the right trigger to free run, don't kill the tradition of combat with the hidden blade) And for example parkour was not removed, but it was improved. Please improve, don't destroy. I get some changes are good, but if it comes to major things like a complete combat overhaul, please consider it carefully. I cannot hate unity because it is part of the franchise/family, but please for the next one know what elements made the other games successful, bring them in, and improve on possible "unfinished" mechanics (like moving around corners in stealth mode). Thanks so much and don't rush to make a game, after all, great things are worth waiting for.

pirate1802
11-12-2014, 07:01 AM
The type of combat from ac 2 to ac black flag was amazing and it gave a lot of freedom..

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140921073948/robber-penguin-agency/images/thumb/8/80/Yao-ming-face-meme.png/500px-Yao-ming-face-meme.png

Namikaze_17
11-12-2014, 07:10 AM
Paragraphs, man.

K3N16
11-12-2014, 12:26 PM
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140921073948/robber-penguin-agency/images/thumb/8/80/Yao-ming-face-meme.png/500px-Yao-ming-face-meme.png

AC:Black Flag:
(First of all you could easily swap weapons)

Then you could just to attack or wait to parry (or double parry)

A parry gave you the options of killing, throwing, disarm/hurt, or kill with the "tool" equipped.

After killing a couple targets by parrying or attacking, the rests of the targets could be:
-chain killed
-get a double kill in a single move with tools
-used to kill a higher level target without disarming or parrying them (like brutes)

And if enemies remain then you can keep in mixing it up.

Assassin's creed unity:

You attack or parry

And you keep on attacking until their life bar drains

(No feeling that you are an Assassin that can get the job done in one stylish move, no fluid tool play, no double parry, no fast weapon selection)

Honestly my favorite game was Brotherhood (or maybe Black Flag) and unity feels close to it. The problem resides in the combat I believe. It would have not been hard to minimize it (change it to its current form) when you enter a multiplayer game, but for single player having similar combat of previous games with this aggressive style A.I. And shorter "parry gaps". This would still make it fast paced and challenging, but at the same time fun. Again, just my opinion and I feel if some change imitating the transition from AC Revelations (and previous games) to AC 3 (from defense based to more "attack focused"), Unity could feel more stylish and display that awesome classy combat. :)

Sushiglutton
11-12-2014, 12:37 PM
I like that they have made changes to combat because, as pirate subtly hinted, combat has been very weak in AC. However I do not like the execution (based on what I have seen). The system is too simplistic control wise. There are only five moves and from what I've been told (and seen) most of the time players hammer the attack button occasionaly interupted to do one of the two defensive moves. For the most part combat in Unity is a game of character skill (stats) rather than player skill. I can understand why they designed it this way as it feeds into the progression system. Problem is that combat becomes very repetetive and frankly dull.

They need another five, player controlled, moves with distinct tactical purposes to make the fights more varied and interesting.

Nuartey
11-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Black Flag's combat was terrible. Far too easy and boring, making it more beneficial to break stealth and just take out 20 enemies at once rather than take the time to avoid combat.

pirate1802
11-12-2014, 12:46 PM
What can I say.. I'm a man of subtleties. :p

K3N16
11-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Black Flag's combat was terrible. Far too easy and boring, making it more beneficial to break stealth and just take out 20 enemies at once rather than take the time to avoid combat.

It was easy, but bringing that back with unity's aggressive A.I. and short parry gaps would be fun and challenging. I guess I'm inclined to the parry finishing moves and the rest of the old combat because it gave the feeling you truly were an assassin: superior training over common soldier so when time is right, your moves could be deadly. In unity it's weird when the enemies become "drowsy" at the end and subsequently have to "FINISH THEM" (lol).

K3N16
11-12-2014, 08:11 PM
I like that they have made changes to combat because, as pirate subtly hinted, combat has been very weak in AC. However I do not like the execution (based on what I have seen). The system is too simplistic control wise. There are only five moves and from what I've been told (and seen) most of the time players hammer the attack button occasionaly interupted to do one of the two defensive moves. For the most part combat in Unity is a game of character skill (stats) rather than player skill. I can understand why they designed it this way as it feeds into the progression system. Problem is that combat becomes very repetetive and frankly dull.

They need another five, player controlled, moves with distinct tactical purposes to make the fights more varied and interesting.

Also true, combat could have more "styles" (aggressive, defensive, acrobatic, brute). Different type of fighting styles plus different weapons types, like muskets, hidden blades, hand to hand, swords, spears, etc. =😍😍😍

Sushiglutton
11-12-2014, 08:35 PM
I swear that every person complaining about combat in Unity has a hard on for pirates. How can you not see the combat is much more realistic, versatile, and overall better? Its the combat system I've always wanted. IMO.

There are two types of criticism I've come across:

- One group think the new system is too difficult because (at least before you upgrade) you get killed very fast by pistols in particular. This group prefered the easier combat of BlackFlag.

- The other group (which I belong to) think the combat system lacks variety and depth. There are not enough moves and interesting ways to combine them. This group in general feel that Unity is a step forward thanks to its increased difficulty.

K3N16
11-12-2014, 08:45 PM
I swear that every person complaining about combat in Unity has a hard on for pirates. How can you not see the combat is much more realistic, versatile, and overall better? Its the combat system I've always wanted. IMO.

Unity's combat is not awful, yet a good hybrid between novelty and classic combat could be aggressive A.I's, no parry indicators, short parry gaps, weapon choice (one does not simply remove hidden blade combat 😋) and "tool" fluidity ( be able to shoot the musket Ina fluid manner during combat for example), and enemy classes that are immune to certain things but that can be defeated in the stylish manner.

It is understandable that some people like more aggressive combat, and as mentioned in that case fighting style could benefit everyone. Just as an example if you choose an "aggressive style" you movements could be based on "breaking defense", "disarm" "strong attack" and "light attack". This would lead to combat like unity where parry is less prominent or does not lead to a counter kill (more strategical and focused on moving from target to target). But say choosing a "defensive style" could be focus on using your opponent against himself. "Parrying", "counter attacks", "throwing people", and such things could be part of a style more dedicated to games in Ezio's story (and focused on timing and lethality) . And then have a "balanced" which could have both aggressive and defensive moves, but in a challenging and reward-full manner. Of course combat styles is a concept and should be improved and balanced if Ubisoft decides to include it in some form.

Change is good, and combat is not THAT bad. However some people familiar to the franchise feel in foreign territory. combat styles or improvement could bridge the gap between veterans and amateurs.

(And Edward was great,but Ezio fought in a graceful and lethal manner= best Assassin ever 😁)

K3N16
11-12-2014, 08:49 PM
- The other group (which I belong to) think the combat system lacks variety and depth. There are not enough moves and interesting ways to combine them. This group in general feel that Unity is a step forward thanks to its increased difficulty.[/QUOTE]

Definitely in this group, the new learning curve is good and challenging, but variety and freedom of choice=yes please. hybrid of original combat with unity and challenging enemies so you can feel like an assassins after killing one or ten guards perfect balance.

K3N16
11-12-2014, 09:18 PM
[QUOTE=DBD-Liamxx7;10329245]When you say it lacks variety and depth, what do you mean? In a bad or good way exactly? There's enough depth in the combat for me to have fun personally, do you mean black flag?[/ I guess he means like more choice and complexity, mix-it-up-and-find-your-own-style

Jailwhale
11-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Ac4 combat was a joke
you could easily kill a entire fleet of enemy's

if you try and take on 4 or more enemy's of your level in unity
your gonna have a bad time(especially if there are snipers)

K3N16
11-15-2014, 04:14 AM
Well, bad game reviews and rage of not seeing hidden blade combat might have clouded my judgment. It is not easy to transmit my uncouth first impression towards Unity, but in this case: I am joyous for the fact that i was wrong.

I must admit that Unity reminds me of Brotherhood, and the more i play it, the more I enjoy it. Turns out combat has its own depth, and possibly i was used to the concept of enemies being "lifeless training dummies". I fear soldiers now, and I finally have a dependency on stealth. But, there is also reward in combat. Timing and skill (and the right weapon) can still grant you the defeat of an entire squad. Impressively enough, the long press/ short press, lethal/ nonlethal controls in combat make Unity have a good depth. Indeed i was quick to judge. However, I still have three small issues.

First, contact polish. Sometimes projectile/weapon impacts are not "felt". I mean the physics or animations don't portray the impact of a weapon against an enemy's body (in the animations mostly). (But, meh, its a minor thing).

Then depth. Bring weapon selection back (like the weapon wheel with at least two different melee weapons) and I'm happy. And more moves possibly (like "parrying" a guy that is about to shoot you, and making him shoot his ally).

Lastly refining. More kill animations, more knockout animations,a tangible difference between "quick finisher" and "heavy finisher", no "ghost kills" (when you start a kill animation, you dodge an incoming attack, and the animation continues. You end up with a "ghost" killing your target) and , well you know, frame rate :o.

Honestly I'm liking Unity more and more, and in a quick side note, my favorite animation so far is the "Eagle swing": when you jump towards a ledge or rope and Arno dives to grab hold of it = joy-puke :D:D:D