PDA

View Full Version : CPU question

Animator_Alex
11-12-2014, 04:23 AM
Does anyone know if this game would benefit from having an i7 CPU over an i5 CPU? I have an i5 4670K and I was waiting for this game to figure out if I should upgrade or not.

strigoi1958
11-12-2014, 04:30 AM
i think the difference is minimal... in my humble opinion... cpu's have hit a ceiling around 4Ghz and i5's (ours are both unlocked as they're k models) can O/C past there just as i7's can... there are other factors beside speed but I think game makers and intel gamers are waiting for each other to jump to hexacore and octacore cpu's... I'm probably wrong but I think there will not be any huge leaps in quad core intel cpu's..... unless the 6 and 8 cores do not take off soon. Just my thoughts

dbgager
11-12-2014, 04:31 AM
Matters what level you are talking about and entry level I7 is not better than a top of the line I5. But for the most part I7s are better than I5s. HOw much it will improve your game though depends on how dependent the game is on the CPU. COuld make no difference at all if your CPU is providing all the processing power the game needs. Here is a benchmark chart if your interested...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Animator_Alex
11-12-2014, 04:32 AM
i think the difference is minimal... in my humble opinion... cpu's have hit a ceiling around 4Ghz and i5's (ours are both unlocked as they're k models) can O/C past there just as i7's can... there are other factors beside speed but I think game makers and intel gamers are waiting for each other to jump to hexacore and octacore cpu's... I'm probably wrong but I think there will not be any huge leaps in quad core intel cpu's..... unless the 6 and 8 cores do not take off soon. Just my thoughts
Ok thanks! I will probably just wait until the next wave of Intel CPUs to upgrade. In the meantime I will just try to OC my current CPU.

dbgager
11-12-2014, 04:34 AM
OC your CPU might make no difference either . Its the same thing as giving your rig a better CPU. Although less so.

strigoi1958
11-12-2014, 04:50 AM
Plus if you jump to an i7 now and pay out for a new mobo and cpu... and in 2 months time games appear that utilize 6 and 8 cores and DDR4 you have jumped too soon to i7... on the other hand jumping to 6/ 8 core cpu's and ddr4 is very expensive now and if no games appear that uses them for a year.. the ram will be cheaper then and your system will have dropped to a mid level without actually using it to its potential. it's a tough time to decide and at present yours is plenty good enough :D sit tight.

doughy12
11-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Does anyone know if this game would benefit from having an i7 CPU over an i5 CPU? I have an i5 4670K and I was waiting for this game to figure out if I should upgrade or not.
Yes you would.

I'm going to explain something that may shock you. An i5 is nothing more than a quad core with a lower price tag and a fancy name, the name is nothing but a marketing gimmick to trick people into thinking they're getting something better than a quad core.

An i7 is leaps and bounds ahead of an i5.

That's the sad reality of it.

dbgager
11-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Get that Xeon E5-2697. Its only $2800..What for 1 CPU...Will it make my dinner to....Choke..Gag.

USAdystopia
11-12-2014, 05:41 AM
db...thanks for the chart, however, cpu mark doesn't necessarily reflect "game" performance.

doughy12
11-12-2014, 05:51 AM
People need to quit posting benchmarks like they are any good and prove anything.
The reality on benchmarks are as follows:

Just by running a benchmark program wrecks the benchmark because the program takes up power which takes away from the benchmark, plus all the other programs running in the background.

So yes it's a fact, there is no such thing as an accurate or even close to near accurate benchmark, Graphs are always altered by companies to make something appear better but and there is ZERO proof of any benchmarks accuracy.

A mass consensus doesn't make a fact

Benchmarks are pointless because they are impossible to prove and cannot be and are never accurate.

dbgager
11-12-2014, 05:52 AM
yea right doughy...

dbgager
11-12-2014, 05:53 AM
True US but it gives you an idea of one CPUS power as compared to another and is a good place to start..

dbgager
11-12-2014, 05:56 AM
All a CPU is is a math processing unit. Everything a CPU does is math based. These benchmarks run math based algorythms and the time how long it takes to execute them. There is not a better way of approximating its performance..Thats the same thing your CPU will be doing in a game. I mean its general approximation of performance . But it still shows how 1 CPU stacks up to another CPU.

doughy12
11-12-2014, 06:05 AM
Its general approximation of performance . But it still shows how 1 CPU stacks up to another CPU.
No it doesn't because there are no facts to support benchmarks for anything, it's all user OPINION and edited graph charts.

dbgager
11-12-2014, 06:07 AM
sorry but thats not worth a reply doughy....But I cannot resist. There benchmarking software actually sends the results to the DB. These results are averaged from 1000s of benchmarks run from 1000s of users who used there benchmarks. I am not saying they are the only thing you should base a decision on . But my benchmarks lie exactly where they should as compared to my installed hardware.. With no deviation from expected results...You could do far worse than consulting these benchmarks if your not up on the performance of different GPUs,CPUs..etc.

doughy12
11-12-2014, 06:16 AM
You're officially a troll and clearly do not understand that running ANY PROGRAM PREVENTS ANYWHERE NEAR ACCURATE DATA from being given out.

Running any program draws power away from any type of even close accuracy. That's a 100% fact which proves everything you're saying is just trolling and continuing to ignore that benchmarking software makes their own charts and software to favor itself, that's what business do and how they operate. Works the same exact way as antivirus companies create viruses to get people to buy their antivirus software

If you actually spent as much time doing any real research on what people say, as you do being a shill and talking about what you don't know and telling people they're wrong, you would be more educated.

You're a troll and I've already spent too much time indulging your fantasy posts/replies.

dbgager
11-12-2014, 06:18 AM
whatever doughy. I can see there is no sense anymore of posting to you. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

playlisting
11-12-2014, 06:18 AM
An i7 shouldn't make much of a difference over an i5 for this game. i7s are generally for heavy 3D work/modelling. i5s are perfect for games. For the guy that said a Xeon, (I only saw the word Xeon and moved on) Xeon's are pretty much useless for games. It's a server-grade CPU.

dbgager
11-12-2014, 06:25 AM
I know that..My comment was not to tell him to buy a Xeon..But just to mention the price tag..Could you not tell by reading it...Seriously. It won't even fit on his MB. And its at the very top of that benchmark chart i linked him to..

koperkuba
11-12-2014, 08:03 AM
I have a i5 2500k overclocked from 3.3 to 4.4 GHz. I hope this is good for AC: Unity:)

DarkSolitudeX
11-12-2014, 10:28 AM
I have a i5 4670 (3.4 Ghz), I can run Unity @ 1920x1080, Maxed out. I don't think the hyper-threading is really going to do much. Although, the game will randomly freeze on me. I don't know if it is the game or my CPU. Aside from the random freeze, Unity plays pretty smooth.

strigoi1958
11-12-2014, 01:41 PM
Yes you would.

I'm going to explain something that may shock you. An i5 is nothing more than a quad core with a lower price tag and a fancy name, the name is nothing but a marketing gimmick to trick people into thinking they're getting something better than a quad core.

An i7 is leaps and bounds ahead of an i5.

That's the sad reality of it.

You say benchmarks are worthless but we are supposed to believe your "leaps and bounds" are an accurate appraisal :D