PDA

View Full Version : AC:Unity First Review (No Spoilers)

Wolfmeister1010
11-08-2014, 11:10 PM
So the first actual official review is out!

http://www.thegamescabin.com/assassins-creed-unity-review-death-never-looked-pretty/3/#.VF6SGr43dFI

No worry about them being payed to say nice things..they actually bought the game with their own money and seemed kinda annoyed that ubisoft didn't send them a review copy lol.

Anyway, a very good score of 8.8.
Here is the summary:

Ubisoft set out to re-create the series with Assassin's Creed: Unity and they've managed it with flying colours.

A rich story with an impressive amount of content coupled with some of the best visuals on display thus far make Assassin's Creed: Unity a must buy for any fan of the series, or just the open-world genre in general.

It has its shortcoming, thought they're few and far between, enough so that they're almost negligible.

So for comparison, they gave Cod AV and Sunset overdrive mid 7's, claimed this was one of the best AC's yet!

Same score as Shadow of Mordor, so that is a good sign.

Nice nice and nice

LoyalACFan
11-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Sweet, that's a very solid score.

Alphacos007
11-08-2014, 11:15 PM
I'll wait for 2 or 3 more reviews before getting happy, but this is a good sign :)

rrebe
11-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Sounds promising :)

Wolfmeister1010
11-08-2014, 11:21 PM
It is refreshing because he basically pointed out all the things I expected wouldn't be up to par, like the modern day story and such. Which I couldn't care less about

BTW guys been confirmed...no option to turn off weapon streaks or blend circles...

JustPlainQuirky
11-08-2014, 11:22 PM
8.8 is right around my predicted range.

SHADOWGARVIN
11-08-2014, 11:25 PM
That's great news. I'm expecting it to get scores around 8.5/9.

"Assassinís Creed: Unity is not just the best looking Assassinís Creed game to date, but it is definitely a strong contender for the best looking PS4 (possibly Xbox One?) game available at this time".

This made me very happy!

Will_Lucky
11-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Its a poor review, if anything I think they're angling to be added to that Ubisoft list with this one. The fact the criticisms are kept to a minimum and barely touched upon is just shoddy. They haven't managed to give Co-op a good run through given the game isn't even out yet either.

SHADOWGARVIN
11-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Its a poor review, if anything I think they're angling to be added to that Ubisoft list with this one. The fact the criticisms are kept to a minimum and barely touched upon is just shoddy. They haven't managed to give Co-op a good run through given the game isn't even out yet either.

Don't be hasty.

Will_Lucky
11-08-2014, 11:36 PM
Don't be hasty.

Don't be so hasty? They broke an embargo date and reviewed before a potential day one patch has hit (although I understand it has on the PS4) and have gone for the sole reason of first review.

Assassin_M
11-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Don't be so hasty? They broke an embargo date and reviewed before a potential day one patch has hit (although I understand it has on the PS4) and have gone for the sole reason of first review.
Come on, you're only saying this because it's positive. Had it been negative, you would'v been one of the first people to jump on it and rip Ubisoft to shreds, lets be honest here. I mean...EVERY negative thing that came up, you took as blind fact but now that a review is out and it's positive, you're questioning its credibility? right.

Not taking a shot at you or anything, I'm just saying.

I-Like-Pie45
11-08-2014, 11:42 PM
I'm gonna give Unity a 10 its gonna be the bestest hottest game of all time!

Namikaze_17
11-08-2014, 11:43 PM
8.8?

Good...what I expected the game to get.

Can't wait to see the review for Rogue. :)

Sushiglutton
11-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Poorly argued review, almost the entire text focuses on the visuals...

Nuartey
11-08-2014, 11:47 PM
I'll wait for 2 or 3 more reviews before getting happy, but this is a good sign :)

Same. Watchdogs had 8s initially and then quickly descended with 7s and 6s.

roostersrule2
11-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Poorly argued review, almost the entire text focuses on the visuals...Then the masses will like it.

Assassin_M
11-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Same. Watchdogs had 8s initially and then quickly descended with 7s and 6s.
Really? Wasn't it the other way around and Ubi did some serious damage control?

SpiritOfNevaeh
11-09-2014, 12:01 AM
I'm probably gonna expect an 8 to a 9.

Nuartey
11-09-2014, 12:03 AM

When is the embargo date?

Nuartey
11-09-2014, 12:13 AM
I voted 8. The videos look great but I'm not forgetting that Ubisoft are masters of deception.

Assassin_M
11-09-2014, 12:15 AM
The videos look great but I'm not forgetting that Ubisoft are masters of deception.
So over dramatic.

Nuartey
11-09-2014, 12:44 AM
So over dramatic.

Don't say I didn't warn you...

Assassin_M
11-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Don't say I didn't warn you...
You didn't.

bitebug2003
11-09-2014, 12:48 AM
In fairness one should include a similar poll for AC: Rogue

I think both will be 'great' (poll choice)

AC: Rogue -- my assumption is based on AC4:BF (same engine/naval battles, etc.)

AC: Unity -- my assumption is based on what I've seen -- the last video was that 101 trailer

Will_Lucky
11-09-2014, 12:58 AM
Come on, you're only saying this because it's positive. Had it been negative, you would'v been one of the first people to jump on it and rip Ubisoft to shreds, lets be honest here. I mean...EVERY negative thing that came up, you took as blind fact but now that a review is out and it's positive, you're questioning its credibility? right.

Not taking a shot at you or anything, I'm just saying.

Oh no, I generally agree with the positives..mostly. But he barely touches upon the negatives, doesn't go into depth at all. He even goes ahead and specifically states "In my eyes the graphics could be poor and the story sub-par, but if the gameplay is fun Iíll happily throw my money down again and again, as is the case with Assassinís Creed: Unity."

This isn't a review written by someone with a balanced opinion, its a review written by someone like us who will buy every game year in year out, only this guy has to balance that with wanting to promote his site to fans and devs alike.

Were it negative, fair enough just go into depth why about what went well and what went wrong. Don't stack it on one side about what what went right and gloss over the wrong.

When is the embargo date?

Probably the day its released.

Assassin_M
11-09-2014, 01:02 AM
Oh no, I generally agree with the positives..mostly. But he barely touches upon the negatives, doesn't go into depth at all. He even goes ahead and specifically states "In my eyes the graphics could be poor and the story sub-par, but if the gameplay is fun I’ll happily throw my money down again and again, as is the case with Assassin’s Creed: Unity."

This isn't a review written by someone with a balanced opinion, its a review written by someone like us who will buy every game year in year out, only this guy has to balance that with wanting to promote his site to fans and devs alike.

Were it negative, fair enough just go into depth why about what went well and what went wrong. Don't stack it on one side about what what went right and gloss over the wrong.
Why not, though? I mean, a lot of people rip the game apart when there's a texture pop in or the Haycart not bouncing and completely gloss over ANY positives. It's only fair to have a blind fanboy to balance the blind hate, don't you think? not that I'm on either side, I generally don't think ACU is going to be all that great.

Moultonborough
11-09-2014, 01:32 AM
I expect it will get a 8 like other AC games. I will wait till what I consider reputable sites post their reviews. The "reviewer" seems like just a fan like M said.

EzioAssassin51
11-09-2014, 02:49 AM
The only reason I've ever had doubt is the negativity that comes constantly from this forum! :rolleyes:
But yeah, this review sounds promising,

Sure, they didn't touch on the gameplay, apart from giving it a good score, but hey, take the positivity on the graphics as a good sign. So many people are worrying about that, so why don't we take a second to appreciate that a review has confirmed for us that the graphics are still amazing?

EDIT:

Oh no, I generally agree with the positives..mostly. But he barely touches upon the negatives, doesn't go into depth at all. He even goes ahead and specifically states "In my eyes the graphics could be poor and the story sub-par, but if the gameplay is fun I’ll happily throw my money down again and again, as is the case with Assassin’s Creed: Unity."

Where does he say that? I couldn't find it... But even if he did, I doubt he was saying that the story was sub-par and the graphics were poor, considering how he gave them an 8 and a 9 respectively. Maybe it was his way of saying that Unity has great gameplay, like the other AC games.
I reckon he had a balanced enough opinion. It may be written by a fan but not a completely biased fan. Maybe he could've gone into more detail but couldn't because of embargo, who knows. But he didn't gloss over it, he did acknowledge some wrong, like the tree graphics.

Assassin_M
11-09-2014, 02:51 AM
The only reason I've ever had doubt is the negativity that comes constantly from this forum! :rolleyes:
This is the MOST positive forum and it's filled with the friendliest, least pretentious jerks on the internet. You really need to visit Neogaf

EzioAssassin51
11-09-2014, 03:04 AM
This is the MOST positive forum and it's filled with the friendliest, least pretentious jerks on the internet. You really need to visit Neogaf

I'm not 100% sure if you're being sarcastic... :P

I know it's not the worst, and there are a lot of nice, hopeful people here. But there's also a lot of negativity and downright pessimism based on a game that no one (or very few) has actually played yet, which annoys me.

Assassin_M
11-09-2014, 03:05 AM
I'm not 100% sure if you're being sarcastic... :P

I know it's not the worst, and there are a lot of nice, hopeful people here. But there's also a lot of negativity and downright pessimism based on a game that no one (or very few) has actually played yet, which annoys me.
No, really. I'm being dead serious, this place is heaven.

Yeah, sure there's the occasional pessimist but they're FAR more tolerable than anything on Neogaf.

ACfan443
11-09-2014, 03:09 AM

Where does he say that? I couldn't find it...

The link directs you to page 3 of the review which solely focuses on graphics, the first two pages discuss story and gameplay.

EzioAssassin51
11-09-2014, 03:23 AM
The link directs you to page 3 of the review which solely focuses on graphics, the first two pages discuss story and gameplay.

Ahh ok, thanks!
That actually helps my point more, because I actually saw many of the negatives he brought up. Just because he doesn't nit pick and search for specific things that are bad about the game and flood the article with them, doesn't mean he's being biased at all.

Wolfmeister1010
11-09-2014, 03:24 AM
I am willing to admit that I am very positive about the grand scheme of games but I get EXTREMELY nitpick with the smaller things, like the HUD effects, weapon streaks..the lack of smoke/fog in Watch Dogs, ect

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2014, 03:57 AM
Why do people even read reviews like this? I mean a happy happy rah-rah review doesn't tell anyone anything. There is no criticism in this review, and no game is free of fault, so this is not a review so much as a commercial.

Show me a review with some serious criticism in it, then I'll know if the game's going to be good or not, by how important the criticisms are to me.

EzioAssassin51
11-09-2014, 04:01 AM
Why do people even read reviews like this? I mean a happy happy rah-rah review doesn't tell anyone anything. There is no criticism in this review, and no game is free of fault, so this is not a review so much as a commercial.

Show me a review with some serious criticism in it, then I'll know if the game's going to be good or not, by how important the criticisms are to me.

So like... a review, for you, is only a review if it tears apart the game? He did criticise the game, didn't you see the first two pages of it?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2014, 04:05 AM
So like... a review, for you, is only a review if it tears apart the game? He did criticise the game, didn't you see the first two pages of it?

I did read the first two pages, and no, a review doesn't have to tear apart a game, but there has to be some serious criticism. I prefer it when reviewers tear apart games, because when they do I know exactly what I might not like, and if I can deal with that, then I'll know I'll like a game. That's why I like Zero Punctuation reviews best. He tears into games and if the game is still standing after he's torn into it, it's a damned good game.

But a review like this that's overwhelmingly positive? It's fricken useless because it's subjective and all it tells me is that the reviewer likes it. Since I'm not the reviewer it tells me nothing. It tells you nothing either.

If you want overwhelmingly positive reviews, just watch Ubisoft ads - they'll give you all the positive spin you want. I expect something a bit more critical from a review.

Dev_Anj
11-09-2014, 04:16 AM
That's why I like Zero Punctuation reviews best. He tears into games and if the game is still standing after he's torn into it, it's a damned good game.

I don't think Zero Punctuation is a serious review show at all. It's basically a person satirizing the faults of a game, and in some cases of entire genres of games, in a quick fashion. It's decent for some comedy, but not what I'd use to get some academic insight into games or game design, or even as a good indicator of game quality.

Assassin_M
11-09-2014, 04:21 AM
But a review like this that's overwhelmingly positive? It's fricken useless because it's subjective
Only positive reviews are subjective, everybody.

killzab
11-09-2014, 08:45 AM
No, really. I'm being dead serious, this place is heaven.

Yeah, sure there's the occasional pessimist but they're FAR more tolerable than anything on Neogaf.

Funny because you called this forum a cesspit not too long ago ... :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
11-09-2014, 08:50 AM
Funny because you called this forum a cesspit not too long ago ... :rolleyes:
And I took that back when I returned, I was wrong.

Namikaze_17
11-09-2014, 09:05 AM
This is the MOST positive forum and it's filled with the friendliest, least pretentious jerks on the internet.

It's good to know we're jerks that are more friendly and less pretentious than most jerks... :rolleyes:

Assassin_M
11-09-2014, 09:09 AM
It's good to know we're jerks that are more friendly and less pretentious than most jerks... :rolleyes:
Exactly. You're all lovely jerks.

roostersrule2
11-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Exactly. You're all lovely jerks.I'm the loveliest jerk.

U r the jerkiest.

zkorejo
11-09-2014, 11:50 AM

Ohhh I couldnt agree with you more. If you are an AC fan, Neogaf is the last place you need to be before release. They (majority of them) never stop whining about the smallest of details.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Ohhh I couldnt agree with you more. If you are an AC fan, Neogaf is the last place you need to be before release. They (majority of them) never stop whining about the smallest of details.

I disagree. A person who truly loves Assassin's Creed should welcome any criticism. Why? Because criticism is the only way to drive improvement of the franchise. Those who stifle criticism are working for stagnation and stagnation is the fastest way to kill a game franchise.

topeira1980
11-09-2014, 12:28 PM

agree.

that's the most shallow review i've ever read.
no mention on gameplay, mechanics, what went wrong or good, co-op... nothing.
all it says is "graphics are kewl. i like. 8.8!"

i find it impossible to take seriously.

I disagree. A person who truly loves Assassin's Creed should welcome any criticism. Why? Because criticism is the only way to drive improvement of the franchise. Those who stifle criticism are working for stagnation and stagnation is the fastest way to kill a game franchise.
i like you, pr0metheus. even when you argue against me occasionally it's always well explained and written.

i liked the AC franchise but as Yahtzee said it once - it's as balanced as a world champion masturbator (showing an image of a guy with one regular arm and one HUGE second arm). it's a nice fun franchise but i always felt UBI is throwing a lot of money at the wrong ppl so i never liked the games as much as i wanted to. i bet that will be the case with unity for different reasons than before.

i still cant wait.

EzioAssassin51
11-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Well those who stifle any kind of positivity bring about death to a franchise too. If everyone is ripping into the game like you want to, Ubisoft might remove things that are actually good or people liked.
Of course criticism is crucial but it's equally as pointless just talking crap about the game for an entire review.

A person who truly loves Assassin's Creed should also acknowledge and bathe in the positives of the game, rather than simply picking out the bad. Why? Because such positive feedback will allow future games to be better.

Sorry Prometheus, but I find it kind of ignorant for you to say that criticism is the only and best way, and it's stupid and subjective to review otherwise.

EDIT:

agree.

i find it impossible to take seriously

I thought so too, then I realised there are another 2 pages before that focusing on the other elements of the game. The link just direct you to page 3.

here you go: :)
http://www.thegamescabin.com/assassins-creed-unity-review-death-never-looked-pretty/1/#.VF9Rooc2aiu

Sushiglutton
11-09-2014, 12:33 PM

Well that explains it lol :D. I take back what I said, it's a fine review then.

agree.

i find it impossible to take seriously.

Sorry, I managed to fool you too :(.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2014, 12:39 PM
Well those who stifle any kind of positivity bring about death to a franchise too.

When has constructive criticism ever killed a franchise? Name one game.

Name one time I've "ripped into a game" without an argument to back it up. Never happened, never will happen, because, apart from anything else, I don't have time to f*** about. If anyone thinks I'm an Assassin's Creed hater, he or she should come to my place and I'll show them my Assassin's Creed collection of every AC game that Ubisoft have ever released, both in DVD form and on my Xbox (because I wanted to have the downloaded versions of each game so I didn't have to put in the disc every time I want to play). Heck, I even have two DVD copies of AC3, the second of which I bought based on the hype, and AC3 happens to be the AC game I like least, yet I still kept the second copy.

And I spent a lot of time defending AC1 from the many folks who disparaged that game. I defended the choice Ubisoft made to not allow swimming. But I also criticized Philip Shahbaz's (Altair) poor voice acting and Ubisoft's choice of a non-Middle-eastern accent, and for that I was labeled a hater by folks who didn't seem to remember all the times I defended the game.

If I'm a hater, then I have a weird way of showing it, because over the years I've spent over $1000 on Assassin's Creed. I own two or three copies of every AC game AND I have the dedication to criticize each game as it comes out, despite the unfair and misguided attacks I sustain from folks like you for doing so. Criticism is essential for anyone who truly loves something - in my view, those who don't criticize are too apathetic, and their apathy and their defense of mediocrity does hurt the franchise.

I agree that tearing down a game with no argument other than "it sucks" is useless. But it's easy to spot a hater and they aren't taken seriously by anyone. The thing is, most people who claim that criticism is hurting the game aren't going after the haters. They seem to be attacking those who have a legitimate beef. If there's a legitimate beef, it should be addressed, not stifled and swept under a rug. If we ignore or stifle legitimate criticisms, we make it that much harder for Ubisoft to fix problems and improve the franchise.

The thing that hurts this series most? Those who claim it's perfect or near to perfect. Why? Because it's not perfect, but it's good enough that it can be close to perfect if we have the guts and the forethought to help make it the best it can be.

zkorejo
11-09-2014, 12:50 PM

I agree. I dont mind criticism, out of all the posts I have read there in the AC related threads, there are just a handful of people who make logical criticisms about the game. I also understand that Unity may have problems with framerates. But like I said, majority of the posters just hate on the game with stupid drive-by one liner posts. Its hard to argue or take the majority of the people there seriously that say: "Its the same old AssCrud gameplay with typical Ubi game with checklists".

Did you see the thread there which was about the early leaked pictures that were blurry as hell? People started hating on the game based on those leaked screenshots. And most of them were not even considering the fact that maybe it was the bad screen caps. They were convinced that the game will be a blurry mess because "its Ubisoft developing the game". I also dont understand people who have decided to not even buy/play the game but they still feel the need to let us know how much it will suck based on the leaked media and their "eagle vision"which helps them see exactly how the game will perform/look through the leaked images and videos on YT.

Maybe the game does have as much problems with its framerates as they say, but instead of waiting on Digital Foundry analysis on the performance of the game to be sure, they just decide to post negative remarks about the game that they havent played yet, and that hasnt even been out yet.

Almost everyone (except for one guy who hated everything about the game) who has played the game has mostly given the positive impressions and said that there are issues with the frame-rate but its nothing game breaking, but sadly neogaf posters know better than the people who have already played it and they keep on exaggerating the FPS issues.

EzioAssassin51
11-09-2014, 01:18 PM
When has constructive criticism ever killed a franchise? Name one game.
/snip/

Ok, to be fair, I wasn't questioning your fandom. I mean if you're here, you're clearly a fan, no doubting that or anything. But you missed my point by going on about that.

And I never said that constructive criticism was useless either. Of course that helps, that's just logic.

Of course I admit that legitimate criticisms must occur to improve the game. I never refuted that. As I actually said 'Of course criticism is crucial but it's equally as pointless just talking crap about the game for an entire review.'
I was just saying, you made it out like positivity is an extremely bad thing. And can you name a franchise that was killed just because fans responded well to it? Because many aspects of AC have been met with amazing feedback, and they're remained and kept the game strong, like the settings, free-running, the economic system, just to name a few.
I admit, it's not a perfect series, but it's not a bad series either. It doesn't deserve to be ripped to shreds like you're saying it should be by the review.

I could go on about the near $1000 I've spent on the series too, but that's beside the point. Like I said, especially as fans, we should admit when the game is good. You probably just miscommunicated that idea, because, as I said, it sounded like you just wanted negative reviews.

EDIT:

I agree zkorejo, that's one of the thing that annoys me about many posters I see. They criticise the game before even playing it and they ignore the positives when they're clearly there. Take ACR and 3 for examples, (and this is getting a bit OT), but they're great games. Amazing games. Yet, people feel the need to just post negative things about them. They don't acknowledge any of the great elements of the game and just say they're the worst games for the most ridiculous reasons.

SHADOWGARVIN
11-09-2014, 01:21 PM

There is a big difference between constructive critcism and whining. Some people like to cry and whine about everything.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2014, 01:41 PM
There is a big difference between constructive critcism and whining. Some people like to cry and whine about everything.

Yeah, but some people like to define constructive criticism as "hating", "crying" and "whining".

Constructive criticism helps developers to make future games better. And even whining and hating never hurt a game. I mean do you think for one second that Ubisoft spends a second of game development on criticism that amounts to "Waaah! This game sucks!"? Of course they don't, because there's nothing constructive in that criticism.

SHADOWGARVIN
11-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah, but some people like to define constructive criticism as "hating", "crying" and "whining".

Maybe, but it's not that had to tell the difference.

Whining and hating never hurt a game. I mean do you think for one second that Ubisoft spends a second of game development on criticism that amounts to "Waaah! This game sucks!"? Of course they don't, because there's nothing constructive in that criticism.

True, but it's very annoying though. Real constructive criticism is always helpfull, but some people just like to whine for the sake of whining.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2014, 02:02 PM
Of course I admit that legitimate criticisms must occur to improve the game.

Well, a big problem, as I see it, is that some folks don't see any criticism as legitimate.

you made it out like positivity is an extremely bad thing.

I think it can be a very bad thing, especially if a reviewer sweeps problems under the rug and especially if a person sees constructive criticism as "illegitimate" and seeks to stifle it.

And can you name a franchise that was killed just because fans responded well to it?

"Just" because fans responded well to it? No - of course not - no one can. But games like The War Z didn't fail because of criticism. They failed because the developers listened too much to the love and too little to the criticism.

...it's not a perfect series, but it's not a bad series either.

I never said it was. In fact, I said "it's good enough that it can be close to perfect if we have the guts and the forethought to help make it the best it can be."

It doesn't deserve to be ripped to shreds like you're saying it should be by the review.

When it comes to a review, what the game deserves has nothing to do with it. Reviews exist to help players decide what game is for them. It's what the players deserve that matters, and we do not deserve a review that is essentially a softball piece that fails to give a balanced view.

And heck, you called me "ignorant" before. Where do you get off saying things like that? Have I called you names in this thread? No. Look, I am willing to give people the benefit of the doubt for a bit, but when you call me ignorant, it makes me think you're a jerk, because one thing I am not, when it comes to Assassin's Creed, is ignorant. All I'm doing is trying to make Assassin's Creed the best franchise it can be, so it hurts when people assume I'm just the same as someone who's just saying "This sucks". So let's quit with the name-calling, okay?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Real constructive criticism is always helpfull, but some people just like to whine for the sake of whining.

As I've said, time and again, that's true, but the only reason that's an issue in this thread is because some folks here have taken constructive criticism as "whining for the sake of whining".

Look, most people don't like criticism. I get that. I even get that people can't help but label constructive criticism as "whining". If I spend the rest of my life engaging only in purely constructive criticism, with the sole goal of improving the game franchises I love, most people who respond to my writings will accuse me of being a hater or a whiner. That's just how the world works. But none of those people will be helping the games they claim to love. On the contrary, they'll be working to destroy those games.

All I'm saying in this thread is that it's essential for a review to find something to seriously criticize, and that this review is a fluff piece and not worthy of the name "review".

I'm also suggesting that it's not at all helpful to Ubisoft or to AC fans when people demonize constructive criticism by mischaracterizing it as "whining".

EzioAssassin51
11-09-2014, 02:38 PM
And heck, you called me "ignorant" before. Where do you get off saying things like that? Have I called you names in this thread? No. Look, I am willing to give people the benefit of the doubt for a bit, but when you call me ignorant, it makes me think you're a jerk, because one thing I am not, when it comes to Assassin's Creed, is ignorant. All I'm doing is trying to make Assassin's Creed the best franchise it can be, so it hurts when people assume I'm just the same as someone who's just saying "This sucks". So let's quit with the name-calling, okay?

I'll start with the end, for the sake of clearing the air. I'm sorry I came across as a bit attacking, I admit I was and I didn't mean to start an argument or flame you. I didn't mean ignorant in terms of you being a 'this sucks,' kind of person and the ignorant part wasn't meant in an attack. You misread my tone, which is fair enough, it's the internet. But I didn't mean it like that. In fact, having seen you around the forums, you're one of the good ones, because you actually give reason for your points. The thing that I found 'ignorant,' was because you don't seem to be happy accepting other people's POVs or ideas, as I have seen in another thread, solely because you've been here for 11 years (a fair stretch I might add). This is one of those times. I respect your opinion, but why do you have to be so disagreeing with other people's opinions, like in this? I myself admitted that constructive criticism is bad, but you keep on going on about how positive feedback is the worst thing for a video game, or anything for that matter. It really isn't. I meant the ignorant thing in terms of the fact that you find complete positivity subjective, yet complete negativity objective, which doesn't make any sense. If we're gonna bring up stuff we said before, then remember that.
Just so you know, I want AC to be the best franchise too. They're my favourite games and have been since I started in 2009. I just find it silly for an individual, especially a hardcore fan like yourself, to seemingly refuse to give the game the positive feedback it does truly, and I don't mind saying again, deserve.

Working backwards,

When it comes to a review, what the game deserves has nothing to do with it. Reviews exist to help players decide what game is for them. It's what the players deserve that matters, and we do not deserve a review that is essentially a softball piece that fails to give a balanced view.

That's kind of a weird thing to say. Because that kind of is what a review is. It's giving the game a score, based on what it deserves, which then links to helping the players to decide what game is for them. They're not seperate things, they're the same. If a game gets a good score, not only did it deserve it, but the players can decide what game is for them. Yes, it's what the players deserve, but think about the devs. They're not all evil men in suits waiting for the profits. People love their jobs doing this (again, OT, but it makes a point), so it's about what they deserve too. Like if the game deserves a good score, as the devs made a good game and deserve a good score, then yeah. The players deserve it and the devs deserve it. If a game deserves a good score and a positive review it should get it. Of course, it should be criticised, but, as I've been saying, a pat on the back when deserved helps. Think, if you were constantly doing something well, but you were only criticised, yes, you would improve, but at the same time, you'd feel pretty crap too, yeah?

I never said it was. In fact, I said "it's good enough that it can be close to perfect if we have the guts and the forethought to help make it the best it can be."

I know you didn't, I was just saying, like in general, it's not so bad that it deserves completely negative reviews.

"Just" because fans responded well to it? No - of course not - no one can. But games like The War Z didn't fail because of criticism. They failed because the developers listened too much to the love and too little to the criticism.

That's fair enough, but still, doesn't mean that positivity is a bad thing. Again, as I've said for the 50th time, I admit that constructive criticism is good and that without it, progress won't occur. I'm sure you understand my point by now for me not having to reiterate it. Plus, that's the developers' fault. I don't think Ubi is like that, they listen to fans for a lot of things, just look at the improvements of Unity.

Well, a big problem, as I see it, is that some folks don't see any criticism as legitimate...
I think it can be a very bad thing, especially if a reviewer sweeps problems under the rug and especially if a person sees constructive criticism as "illegitimate" and seeks to stifle it.

I think those folks are simply trolls and those truly ignorant people of the world, who would rather ignore the negatives. I'm not saying negatives should be ignored, I'm just saying that positivity, in general, isn't bad. Like you said, it can be a bad thing when negatives are swept under the rug. But with a good balance, or even emphasis on positives, while still acknowledging and explaining negatives, it's not bad.

I hope this clears things up.

Megas_Doux
11-09-2014, 02:50 PM
Discredit a review of a game you have NOT played....

http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g380/Prince_Zuko1984/Hercules-Cool-Story-Bro-Dragonlord-1.jpg

SenseHomunculus
11-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Oh man, who's the poor dude who voted he anticipated a "1" rating?? That gives me a sad... :(

EzioAssassin51
11-09-2014, 02:55 PM
Oh man, who's the poor dude who voted he anticipated a "1" rating?? That gives me a sad... :(

Haha I thought the same, I was like 'wow what?' :p

Braders06
11-09-2014, 03:02 PM
As I've said, time and again, that's true, but the only reason that's an issue in this thread is because some folks here have taken constructive criticism as "whining for the sake of whining".

Look, most people don't like criticism. I get that. I even get that people can't help but label constructive criticism as "whining". If I spend the rest of my life engaging only in purely constructive criticism, with the sole goal of improving the game franchises I love, most people who respond to my writings will accuse me of being a hater or a whiner. That's just how the world works. But none of those people will be helping the games they claim to love. On the contrary, they'll be working to destroy those games.

All I'm saying in this thread is that it's essential for a review to find something to seriously criticize, and that this review is a fluff piece and not worthy of the name "review".

I'm also suggesting that it's not at all helpful to Ubisoft or to AC fans when people demonize constructive criticism by mischaracterizing it as "whining".

I agree with you on the vital role constructive criticism has to play in the constant improvement of the games we all enjoy, but I also believe that negativity for negativities sake can be as equally uninformative to developers without expressing the positive aspects of the game, or at least the direction they believe the game should have gone (the constructive part of the critique). Otherwise the developers will just essentially get a message saying "We don't like this. Fix it.", instead of one saying "We don't like 'a', 'b' and 'c' for these reasons, you should have done 'x,y,z' because... We did enjoy 'd' however, give us more of that please" The developers then have a framework to develop from.

I think what people on this forum are saying is that some people (not you, as you go into detail for your criticisms) will just say what they don't like, and never say how they would have preferred it to be done (they forget the 'constructive' part of constructive criticism) as the whole point of constructive criticism is to provide both the negative and (potentially) positive aspects of a body of work, in order to improve it's outcome (that's it's definition anyway).

As you said with ZeroPunctuation, you like to have a review lay into a game so you can see what potential problems it may have, and judge if they are important to you. I believe the same can be said for a review that lists (in a constructive manner) the good and the bad of the game. If I don't care about the pros, but believe the cons are deal-breakers, then I won't buy the game, the inverse is also true.

Where I think you are 100% right is that reviewers should NEVER gloss over negative aspects, in the aims to balance a review for the sake of appearances of being fair. I do however believe that every single remark, whether positive or negative, should be given a detailed and constructive analysis to try and remove as much of the personal bias of the the reviewer as possible, and enable the reader to make an informed judgement on whether that aspect is important to them.

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2014, 03:13 PM

I suspect some folks think it was me. But I'm the guy who gave the game a 6 (meh) because I feel the review doesn't tell me anything useful about the game. Based on the review, I see nothing that the reviewer feels is bad, so there's nothing about which I can say "Well that won't really bother me".

I expect the wholly negative poll vote is either a joke, a way to criticize the ridiculously positive review, or it's just a slap from someone who hates AC. This is one of the reasons I don't really like polls, as they allow people to say something without giving any reasons for their opinion. While whoever made that vote may have a legitimate point, we have to guess as to what it is.

Polls have their place as a general guide, but they are not useful as a way to get specific insights into an issue.

As you said with ZeroPunctuation, you like to have a review lay into a game so you can see what potential problems it may have, and judge if they are important to you. I believe the same can be said for a review that lists (in a constructive manner) the good and the bad of the game. If I don't care about the pros, but believe the cons are deal-breakers, then I won't buy the game, the inverse is also true...

I agree. For example, on Amazon, the reviews I seek out first are the 3-star reviews (3 out of 5 or 40%-60%) because they're right in the middle and unlikely to be biased by fanboyism or hate. Then, if I'm moving towards a positive opinion, I check out the 2-star reviews, while if I'm heading negative I'll seek out the 4-star reviews, to see if I might be missing anything. the reviews I rarely look at are the 1-stars or the 5-stars, as they are usually not at all helpful.

The problem with the review that started this thread is that, with 88%, it's effectively a 5-star (80%-100%) review, so I consider it fairly useless.

In terms of Zero Punctuation, I really enjoy the fact that the guy really takes no prisoners. He's kind of the assassin of video game reviewers. So what I look for in a ZP review is any inkling that he likes the game. For instance, with AC1 I think he said one barely positive thing about the game, which means he liked it a whole lot. If ZP says a game is "okay", or "not horrible" it means he loooooooves it. What I appreciate most is that his reviews completely go against the overwhelmingly positive trend in reviews these days.

...I do however believe that every single remark, whether positive or negative, should be given a detailed and constructive analysis to try and remove as much of the personal bias of the the reviewer as possible, and enable the reader to make an informed judgement on whether that aspect is important to them.

Excellent point.

SHADOWGARVIN
11-09-2014, 03:24 PM
I think you misunderstood the poll. The question is what score do YOU anticipate you will give unity. Do you think you will give the game a 6? You think unity will be only meh?

Pr0metheus 1962
11-09-2014, 03:44 PM
I think you misunderstood the poll. The question is what score do YOU anticipate you will give unity. Do you think you will give the game a 6? You think unity will be only meh?

Well, the poll asks us to anticipate what score we'll give Unity, but the thread is called "AC: Unity First Review" so the implication is that the poll is based on the review. Based on the review I give it a "meh" because the review tells me nothing serious about what disappointments I might have to overcome in order to enjoy the game.

As for what my anticipated score is, based NOT on the review, well how should I know? All I've seen is some gameplay footage that makes me think that nothing is horribly bad, but that there are some minor frustrating issues. But I have no way of telling if there are more serious problems with storyline or gameplay. And there have been no serious reviews of the game yet, and I am trying to manage my expectations, so on Tuesday I'm hoping my opinion will continue to be "meh" because the last thing I need is to go into the game hoping it's great and then be disappointed by a mediocre game.

You want my honest opinion? Well, based on everything I've seen so far, I think the game will be about as good as AC: Revelations (that would probably be - barely - a 7 in terms of this poll). So not as horrible as AC3, but not great like AC4 and not fantastic like AC2. The main reason I think it will be like Revelations is that it has Alex Amancio as lead, and I personally think he's in Ubisoft's 2nd tier as a director. I personally don't think Amancio has what it takes to develop a really good AC game, though I'll be happy if he proves me wrong. On the other hand, at least he's not as bad as Alex Hutchinson, who, if I were in charge at Ubisoft, I would have fired after AC3.

After I get the game, I'm hoping I'll think the game is better than any AC game that came before. But I'm not going to broadcast my hopes and dreams - what use are they? Heck, almost everyone else does that already - they say how good the game is going to be as if their hope represents some kind of reality, and as far as I can see, all it does is set people up for disappointment.

king-hailz
11-09-2014, 04:39 PM
I would give it 8.5 so I rounded it up to 9.

topeira1980
11-09-2014, 06:39 PM
from all the playthroughs i watched on YT the game seems to be a lot more oriented to what i always wanted out of an AC game (sandbox missions, customization, harder combat etc) so i guess i will ran it higher than 8.